PDA

View Full Version : RCF 4PRO 8003as Subs

paulg
17-09-2010, 01:27 PM
A while ago I decided to get rid of all my various sized PA and go for two RCF 722A powered tops and two subs. Selecting the tops was a breeze. Not much touches the RCF's in terms of output vs. size and weight. So they were a must. Right then, I thought, I'm usually right on the mark when it comes to buying PA so now to buy a pair of powered subs giving me a very flexible system (2 tops only, 2 tops and 1 sub or two tops and two subs).

I initially went for 2 DB Technologies Sub 15D's. They are small and light. Yep, contrary to what everyone else thinks that's as much as I can say about them.

Mmm, I needed to reduce size and carrying weight so try a single 18 inch sub I thought. Next I buy, an 18" 1000W HK Audio XBA 18 sub - "the most powerful in its class". Err, no it isn't but the fitted castors are handy so you can roll it towards the second buyers car! (What has happended to HK Audio? Where's that warm, rounded sound gone, why don't they fit proper crossovers on these subs, when will the distributor realise it's the 21st Century?) You guessed it....it got sold at a huge loss.

Licking my wounds and staring into an emptying wallet, I finally took a look at the RCF website and spoke to people at RCF UK. Why I didn't do that some time ago is beyond me! Thankfully, one of the members on here uses RCF 4PRO and suggested I try them. I can't recall your name, but if it was you, I like to say thank you for some top advice!

RCF were very helpful and gave honest appraisals of the options available. They directed me towards the RCF 4PRO 8003as active 18 inch subs. These things fitted the bill perfectly. Strong black steel grilled, direct radiating 18" speaker, 1000w digital amp, a proper speaker top hat (not those annoying little threaded things) and some pre drilled holes and bolts to fit your own castors. The units measure 700x700x520so they are pretty compact for an 18" powered sub. Weight is about 50kg so they are easy to lift and carry.

So, the acid test. Courier arrives, I unpack the subs, connect them up, plug them in and think "if these don't work, the dog gets kicked" but, .....wow.... with virtually no EQ'ing the RCF's delivered a tight, punchy bottom end infact, enough to shake some stuff off a shelf in the garage! The stated output is some 134Db with a 40Hz limit. How close they get to either of those is always up for debate but they are very, very loud without losing their bottom end grunt. In stereo mode, one sub is more than enough for most mid sized venues and the output is very controllable. For example, one of the 4PRO's will out perform 2 Db Technologies sub 15D's so I guess in terms of size and weight, the larger sub is more economical? The controls and connections are logical and well laid out. For you karaoke guys, they are excellent for vocals - they just allow enough bottom end through to fill out a vocal track without being boomy. The units carry a three year warranty.

If any of you are thinking about buying bigger subs or replacing existing ones, I genuinely recommend you take a look at these alongside the others on the market. If you're looking at buying and you are in my neck of the woods, pop over and take a listen. For me, they are the perfect DJ'ing sub - exactly what I was looking for - big enough to deliver lots of bottom end where you need it, controllable in smaller environments and not too big or one person to lift / carry. They are without doubt some of the best sounding subs I've heard in the £1000 price bracket. My dog likes them too.

Summary:

Am I happy with the overall product: YES
How would I rate it: 9/10
Do they sound good: YES,
Would I buy another: I did!
Would I recommend them to you: YES.
Pro's: see above
Cons: None of any relevance
What's the alternatives: FBT, Mackie, JBL
Animal friendly: YES ;-)

paul G
www.ardsleyentertainments.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Good review - thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't say that 50Kg is 'easy to lift and carry' though. I struggle with my 705 and that is only 37Kg!

Excalibur
17-09-2010, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't say that 50Kg is 'easy to lift and carry' though. I struggle with my 705 and that is only 37Kg!

If those are the same as Twinspin uses, there's only one word to describe them. Staffering. The same one suffices for describing me carrying them. Staggering. :( :o :o Fantastic performance, but every time I carry them, I remember why I use passives.

paulg
17-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Yep, fair point - i have put 100mm castors on them so they wheel about with only a final lift in and out of the van. The pre drilled and threaded castor plate holes are a nice touch making fitting a doddle. If I'm feeling lazy, I've an aluminium ramp to wheel them into the van but it takes a big chunk of skin off my knuckles or traps my finger everytime I use it. I can't get my head round the weight of these subs - on paper they are heavy but somehow they lift so easily compared to the Hk2000 sub I sold which is the same weight but was a real gut buster when lifted. Very strange indeed but another reason why I like them so far.

Twinspin
18-09-2010, 01:31 AM
If those are the same as Twinspin uses, there's only one word to describe them. Staffering. The same one suffices for describing me carrying them. Staggering. :( :o :o Fantastic performance, but every time I carry them, I remember why I use passives.

Mine are the ART705AS Peter same as Darrens The 4 pro ones are more powerful.

With my 705's i carry them myself sometimes but usually do a 2 man lift with them or put them on a dollyboard and wheel em in

surround sounds
18-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I got a pair of the RCF art905 subwoofers.I think they are are and very light.