PDA

View Full Version : Bounced Cheques....

Booche
19-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Well i must have no luck what so ever as a gig ive got coming up has been a little more then a nightmare from the initial enquiry to the payment and to top it off i had a phone call friday from the bank saying the cheque i put in 4 days ago has unfortunatly been rejected,

Now when i first heard this i thought it was another type of scam but lucky enough i was only round the corner from the bank so i popped in and spoke to a advisor who verified it had been rejected :(

So i rang the client there and then and asked if there was an issue as the cheque had been rejected the reply i got was "WHAT oh for :Censored: sake im sick of this :Censored: :Censored: banks are :Censored: sorry mate ill sort it"

After i heard this i was in two minds what i should do but i looked at it if it was my cheque that had bounced and how i would feel so i accepted the response and left it to the client to sort things out.

Got a phone call this morning explaing that the clients wife had been out with the plastic and had spent abit more then she should have :(

So now they are trying to pay cash on the night for everything, deposit and full total.

Just wondering if i should accept it and run the risk of turning up and expecting no cash OR explain that i DO need a deposit (more now he explained theres no cash in the bank yet)

Thoughts and help please :)

Cheers Dave :)

Charlie Brown
19-09-2010, 10:56 PM
When is it for?

DeckstarDeluxe
19-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Well i must have no luck what so ever as a gig ive got coming up has been a little more then a nightmare from the initial enquiry to the payment and to top it off i had a phone call friday from the bank saying the cheque i put in 4 days ago has unfortunatly been rejected,

Now when i first heard this i thought it was another type of scam but lucky enough i was only round the corner from the bank so i popped in and spoke to a advisor who verified it had been rejected :(

So i rang the client there and then and asked if there was an issue as the cheque had been rejected the reply i got was "WHAT oh for :Censored: sake im sick of this :Censored: :Censored: banks are :Censored: sorry mate ill sort it"

After i heard this i was in two minds what i should do but i looked at it if it was my cheque that had bounced and how i would feel so i accepted the response and left it to the client to sort things out.

Got a phone call this morning explaing that the clients wife had been out with the plastic and had spent abit more then she should have :(

So now they are trying to pay cash on the night for everything, deposit and full total.

Just wondering if i should accept it and run the risk of turning up and expecting no cash OR explain that i DO need a deposit (more now he explained theres no cash in the bank yet)

When is the gig?

Corabar Steve
19-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I've moved this thread to the correct forum section. (because there was a fair bit of typing involved & I'm in a generous mood)

There have been enough posts about posting threads in the correct forum section & it could just as easily been deleted which is pretty much the general policy now.

Please ensure that you start threads in the correct section

Booche
19-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I've moved this thread to the correct forum section. (because there was a fair bit of typing involved & I'm in a generous mood)

There have been enough posts about posting threads in the correct forum section & it could just as easily been deleted which is pretty much the general policy now.

Please ensure that you start threads in the correct section

Sorry Steve i did look at this section but a little unsure which one as its not directly disco related, which is why it was a tough call :o

But thankyou :)

rob1963
19-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Dave,

You say the cheque bounced & that it was rejected, but bounced cheques always have an answer, which is the reason (often in bank speak) why they bounced.

Firstly, what was the client's bank's reason for the cheque bouncing?

Secondly, did your bank represent the cheque, or return it to you?

Booche
19-09-2010, 11:05 PM
When is it for?

When is the gig?

2 weeks time for a lads 18th birthday, sorry i missed that out, still abit miffed on what choice to make

DeckstarDeluxe
19-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Well what does your contract state?

Unlikely you'll fill the date at this late stage so you might need to bite the bullet on this and take a chance

Charlie Brown
19-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Okay, if it's in two weeks time I'd take the gamble and turn up on the night.

Ask for the cash before you unload any gear.

No cash, no music. It's unlikely you'll get a last minute gig for two weeks time so stick at it. :)

Booche
19-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Dave,

You say the cheque bounced & that it was rejected, but bounced cheques always have an answer, which is the reason (often in bank speak) why they bounced.

Firstly, what was the client's bank's reason for the cheque bouncing?

Secondly, did your bank represent the cheque, or return it to you?

The bnk with held the cheque and said something about putting it in the drawer or its in the drawer now ive no idea what this means so this is why i contacted the client and explained the situation,

As for a reason the lady who rang me said she couldn't go into details as i wasn't the account holder and personnal info etc, but then when i went to the bank they said it looks like there is a issue with the other partys bank and to contact them to see if I can sort this :(

Vectis
19-09-2010, 11:11 PM
In this situation I'd be demanding full payment now, otherwise they'd be in breach of contract, or, in other words, there is no contract.

I'd also openly market the 'empty' date until such time as you have either

a) a wad of cash in your hand
b) a BACS transfer
c) a PayPal payment (although these can get reversed)
d) a cleared cheque

In my (old!) Ts & Cs any booking accepted within 30 days of the event date is full payment in advance. As they've not paid a deposit yet, there is no booking and so they're within 30 days.

In my experience, folks who can't manage their money to the extent that a cheque bounces might not be able to sufficiently manage their money to obtain your full fee in cash on the day of the gig.

Booche
19-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Well what does your contract state?

Unlikely you'll fill the date at this late stage so you might need to bite the bullet on this and take a chance

it says
"• Paying a booking fee for your event or function is a 100% binding guarantee of contract and reservation of your function date. We reserve the right to cancel your booking should your booking fee fail to clear.
• Any non-payment of a booking fee within 14 days could allow us to change our work schedule without prior notice."

Which i think i might have to do what yourself and Charlie have suggested

Okay, if it's in two weeks time I'd take the gamble and turn up on the night.

Ask for the cash before you unload any gear.

No cash, no music. It's unlikely you'll get a last minute gig for two weeks time so stick at it. :)

Yeah but its the point of turning up and nobody being there so ive then got to come all the way back 13miles lol

Charlie Brown
19-09-2010, 11:16 PM
i

Yeah but its the point of turning up and nobody being there so ive then got to come all the way back 13miles lol

Pick up a phone and call the venue?

Vectis
19-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Pick up a phone and call the venue?

Q1. "Do you have a booking for XXX in the name of YYY?"

Q2. "Have you been paid?" :p

Booche
19-09-2010, 11:20 PM
In this situation I'd be demanding full payment now, otherwise they'd be in breach of contract, or, in other words, there is no contract.

I'd also openly market the 'empty' date until such time as you have either

a) a wad of cash in your hand
b) a BACS transfer
c) a PayPal payment (although these can get reversed)
d) a cleared cheque

In my (old!) Ts & Cs any booking accepted within 30 days of the event date is full payment in advance. As they've not paid a deposit yet, there is no booking and so they're within 30 days.

In my experience, folks who can't manage their money to the extent that a cheque bounces might not be able to sufficiently manage their money to obtain your full fee in cash on the day of the gig.

This is basically what ive done Martin ive put a pencil line in the diary through there booking and will be ringing the client tommorow explaining the situation that they have signed and dated my T&C's and if payment isn't made with in the 14days stated then the date will be freed (even though it is in the background ;)) and also any fee's CAN and WILL still be charged towards them for the booking for a loss of work for that date :) and any fee's accured to me or the business will be forwarded to themselves as the bank mentioned i could be charged for the cheques being revoked/bounced etc etc :(

Cheers Dave

Vectis
19-09-2010, 11:23 PM
This is basically what ive done Martin ive put a pencil line in the diary through there booking and will be ringing the client tommorow explaining the situation that they have signed and dated my T&C's and if payment isn't made with in the 14days stated then the date will be freed (even though it is in the background ;)) and also any fee's CAN and WILL still be charged towards them for the booking for a loss of work for that date :) and any fee's accured to me or the business will be forwarded to themselves as the bank mentioned i could be charged for the cheques being revoked/bounced etc etc :(

Cheers Dave

Good lad... now you're thinking like a businessman and not "just" a DJ :beer1:

Imagine he'd been down to Carpetworld or wherever and paid with a rubber cheque.

Do you think they'd send the lads round on the agreed date and time, with the carpet in the back of the van on the offchance you will be able to pay cash on the spot?

DeckstarDeluxe
19-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Have to bear in mind that there will be times where mistakes are made and that the client is telling the truth. Should be taken into account when talking to clients.

rob1963
19-09-2010, 11:25 PM
The bnk with held the cheque and said something about putting it in the drawer or its in the drawer now ive no idea what this means so this is why i contacted the client and explained the situation,

As for a reason the lady who rang me said she couldn't go into details as i wasn't the account holder and personnal info etc, but then when i went to the bank they said it looks like there is a issue with the other partys bank and to contact them to see if I can sort this :(

As someone who knows a bit about these things, your bank's behaviour seems very strange, Dave.

Firstly, when your bank receives a bounced cheque, they write to you rather than phone you.

Secondly, if the cheque was returned unpaid, there would be a reason given by the bank returning it, which your bank will then tell you.

The thing about not being able to go into details with you is very strange. If the cheque was returned unpaid, the returning bank MUST give the reason, and your bank MUST pass this reason onto you, in order that you know what action to take.

The first thing I'd do is phone your bank tomorrow and ask them what reason was given by the clients bank for returning the cheque unpaid.

DeckstarDeluxe
19-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Robs got a point. Ive had loads of cheques bounce when I ran the garages and never once was it via the phone.

Booche
19-09-2010, 11:34 PM
As someone who knows a bit about these things, your bank's behaviour seems very strange, Dave.

Firstly, when your bank receives a bounced cheque, they write to you rather than phone you.

Secondly, if the cheque was returned unpaid, there would be a reason given by the bank returning it, which your bank will then tell you.

The thing about not being able to go into details with you is very strange. If the cheque was returned unpaid, the returning bank MUST give the reason, and your bank MUST pass this reason onto you, in order that you know what action to take.

The first thing I'd do is phone your bank tomorrow and ask them what reason was given by the clients bank for returning the cheque unpaid.

This is what made me think it was a scam but when i went into the bank and they explained i was assured but like i say they never went into detail as i said all they said is they cannot go into detail as its personnal info etc which i thought was ok but after hearing what you have said mate i will be ringing them ASAP in the morning and asking again if i can get the reason behind this situation, thankyou for filling me in with this info Rob its greatfully appreciated mate :)

Robs got a point. Ive had loads of cheques bounce when I ran the garages and never once was it via the phone.

See above ;)

rob1963
19-09-2010, 11:40 PM
This is what made me think it was a scam but when i went into the bank and they explained i was assured but like i say they never went into detail as i said all they said is they cannot go into detail as its personnal info etc which i thought was ok but after hearing what you have said mate i will be ringing them ASAP in the morning and asking again if i can get the reason behind this situation, thankyou for filling me in with this info Rob its greatfully appreciated mate :)

No problem Dave, but something's definitely not right here.

Your bank say they cannot go into detail, but that's rubbish. It's a cheque you paid into your account, so if the client's bank returned it to your bank, your bank will ALWAYS give you the reason.

They will then represent the cheque or return it to you. The fact that they seem to have done neither is very strange.

Larry B Entertainment
20-09-2010, 07:16 AM
What Bank are you with out of interest Dave ?

rob1963
20-09-2010, 07:22 AM
What Bank are you with out of interest Dave ?

The Mickey Mouse Bank, by the sounds of it!

soundtracker
20-09-2010, 07:31 AM

I think that here lies the heart of the problem with the bank! If a cheque has been returned due to lack of funds, the reason given would be "Refer to drawer"
When this happens they have two alternatives:
1. To return the cheque to you and debit your account, and let you sort out the problem.
2. To represent the cheque to the other bank, in the hope that there will now be sufficient funds to pay it.
My guess Dave is that the second option has happened, and that you have simply misheard, or misunderstood the situation, you will need to re-check with your bank in a couple of days to see if it has now been paid.

However, in view of the circumstances, I would ensure that you now receive payment in cash before the start of the night.

Larry B Entertainment
20-09-2010, 08:39 AM
The Mickey Mouse Bank, by the sounds of it!

Must be Natwest :o

rob1963
20-09-2010, 08:42 AM
..........:laughup:

CRAZY K
20-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Standard procedure here ( did it recently)

POSTAL ORDER by recorded delivery this week for the booking fee.

CASH ON NIGHT BEFORE ANY MUSIC IS PLAYED.

COUNT IT AS WELL:eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldnt waste your time further if theres the slightest objection:mad:

You dont need idiots. ;)

Charlie Brown
20-09-2010, 01:41 PM
What's the update Dave?

Booche
20-09-2010, 01:52 PM
UPDATE :)

Spoke to HSBC this morning and asked why it had been rejected as such and the guy who i spoke to explained there was insufficiant funds available so therefore i have two choices which were they will return the cheque to the client and explain what has gone off and let them sort it out OR basically i pay and then sort it out with the client, so after a long winded conversation i rang the client and explainded and he told me that it was down to his misses again and they will pay me a deposit in cash within the next few days.

So i think i will just wait and see if i get the cash if not i shall be contacting them again explaining the situation about my T&C's

Thanks for everyones advice on this matter

Vectis
20-09-2010, 02:34 PM
UPDATE :)

Spoke to HSBC this morning and asked why it had been rejected as such and the guy who i spoke to explained there was insufficiant funds available so therefore i have two choices which were they will return the cheque to the client and explain what has gone off and let them sort it out OR basically i pay and then sort it out with the client, so after a long winded conversation i rang the client and explainded and he told me that it was down to his misses again and they will pay me a deposit in cash within the next few days.

So i think i will just wait and see if i get the cash if not i shall be contacting them again explaining the situation about my T&C's

Thanks for everyones advice on this matter

Dave... you forgot a bit on the end...

"and if another booking for the same date comes in before I get the deposit, I'll take it."
:cool:

Charlie Brown
20-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Glad it's sorted Dave!

You better do a gig log for that gig.

I reckon it'll be a interesting one. :sj:

Booche
20-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Dave... you forgot a bit on the end...

"and if another booking for the same date comes in before I get the deposit, I'll take it."
:cool:

:o Yeah and that aswell :P

Glad it's sorted Dave!

You better do a gig log for that gig.

I reckon it'll be a interesting one. :sj:

I've got a feeling Charlie that it will be a gig i never get to see or do going by what has happened and how "Bothered" the client sounded on the phone as he came across like yeah what ever type attitude which makes me think they are going to go elsewere, but you never know it might be the best gig ive ever done lol

rob1963
20-09-2010, 02:45 PM
If a cheque has been returned due to lack of funds, the reason given would be "Refer to drawer"

When a cheque has been returned due to a lack of funds, it's also quite common for the answer to be "Refer to drawer please represent".

Dave,

If I was you I'd make it clear to the client that I needed the deposit in cash at least 24 hours before the function and the balance on your arrival at the venue.

If I didn't have the deposit in cash 24 hours before the gig, I wouldn't turn up.

CRAZY K
20-09-2010, 09:55 PM
When a cheque has been returned due to a lack of funds, it's also quite common for the answer to be "Refer to drawer please represent".

Dave,

If I was you I'd make it clear to the client that I needed the deposit in cash at least 24 hours before the function and the balance on your arrival at the venue.

If I didn't have the deposit in cash 24 hours before the gig, I wouldn't turn up.

Agreed, if you dont have a facility to take payment by card CASH IS KING;)

Whether its a Postal Order or the folding stuff:D :D :D

My bet is if they dont have it in the bank ---then it might bomb:eek:

soundtracker
21-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Dave,

Actually, you are behind the times the old "RDPR" is no longer used.

CRAZY K
21-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Actually, you are behind the times the old "RDPR" is no longer used.

Dont forget Rob is retired ( almost )

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

simon1969
21-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Glad you sorted it mate !!!

rob1963
21-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Actually, you are behind the times

That doesn't surprise me, seeing as it's 6 years since I resgined from the bank.

the old "RDPR" is no longer used.

We live & learn.

Thanks for correcting me.

soundtracker
21-09-2010, 10:14 AM
That doesn't surprise me, seeing as it's 6 years since I resgined from the bank.

We live & learn.

Thanks for correcting me.

Ha ha! No excuse, I left Natwest in 1987! I only found out by shouting at a snotty cashier!

rob1963
21-09-2010, 10:19 AM
:Laugh: