PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight solution

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I may be going abroad to DJ a wedding and will be flying. Most of the gear will be hired in, but I will need a lightweight and portable solution in terms of the mixer and controller.

It will need to be carried as hand luggage, so be the right size to do that. I will probably be using Virtual DJ and maybe some kind of back up.

I have looked at the Hercules RMX, but have no idea what the sound quality is like - any users?

Any other ideas welcome.

No budget at the moment, but weighing up all the options.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-09-2010, 08:27 PM
How about Midi mapping something like the Xone 1D?

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-09-2010, 08:33 PM
How about Midi mapping something like the Xone 1D?

Sounds complicated - I'd rather have something that works natively.

Charlie Brown
20-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Check you!

Don't want to hijack your thread but where might you be off to?

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Check you!

Don't want to hijack your thread but where might you be off to?

France. Just talking to the client about the logistics of it all currently.

Corabar Entertainment
20-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Just to add to your options, Darren, as you know we frequently have visitors from France, and they quite often drive, so I'm sure it would be possible to have them take something over for you at some point. It would then just be a question of having it couriered at the right time to your location.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Just to add to your options, Darren, as you know we frequently have visitors from France, and they quite often drive, so I'm sure it would be possible to have them take something over for you at some point. It would then just be a question of having it couriered at the right time to your location.

Thanks for that option Ang. :cool:

Could they fit a 3.5K sound system in the passenger seat? :D

Corabar Entertainment
20-09-2010, 09:06 PM
:lol:

Vectis
20-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I may be going abroad to DJ a wedding

Jeez... I've only been retired 3 days and already he's moving in on my patch :p

wensleydale
21-09-2010, 06:26 AM
what about a d2 and a small mixer (eg Denon 2U or Citronic 2U) in a briefcase sized flight case? We bought one a while ago as a playback rack when we dont need an amp but put it in a slightly larger flight case.

Whether this works could depend on which airline you are flying as they now have slightly different size allowances.

yourdj
21-09-2010, 06:54 AM
What about just using the software and a small mixer. virtual dj (as you already have) or ots is pretty good by all accounts. I use DJAY for mac and thats not bad either. depends how well you want to mix i suppose. they both have an auto mix function and the crowd will be non the wiser.

The numark controllers are pretty cheap now?

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/numark-total-control-dj-controller.jpg

VCI 100?

http://www.createdigitalmusic.com/images/2007/jan/vci100.jpg

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Do you not use an external mixer with your Vestax controller Toby?

I really want to know what the sound quality is like if just using the midi controller as a mixer too.

Shakermaker Promotions
21-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Darren, I did a wedding last year where the Groom wanted to do a short dance set. He used the Hercules thing and the sound quality was fine. Not sure what else I can say other than that but it sounded ok to me.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Darren, I did a wedding last year where the Groom wanted to do a short dance set. He used the Hercules thing and the sound quality was fine. Not sure what else I can say other than that but it sounded ok to me.

But did it go through your mixer?

Shakermaker Promotions
21-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-09-2010, 09:08 AM
See that's what I want to know - what the quality is like without an external mixer, using the mic input on there etc

Shakermaker Promotions
21-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Is it worth asking if anyone has one you can test or maybe demo one in a shop?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Is it worth asking if anyone has one you can test or maybe demo one in a shop?

I will probably do that anyway, but was asking initially for people's feedback on them to narrow down what I am going to demo.

WWDJ
21-09-2010, 09:34 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hercules+rmx+review&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=uneYTJKjNs654AbCl-k7

There are plenty of reviews on Google and Youtube i'm sure you have looked.

Personally i think the Hercules RMX looks like a toy and I just wouldn't want to trust my reputation to one especially with a 3.5k sound system going out the back end.

Perhaps you should carry an additional sound interface too so that you can run it externally and check the quality of both?

Other all in one options to look at (although i'd need to check they all have sound cards, I 'believe' they do) are
-ADJ VMS4
-upcoming Denon HC6000 (expensive)
-upcoming Traktor S4 (also expensive, but as you know i am a HUGE fan of Traktor)

yourdj
21-09-2010, 09:41 AM
-ADJ VMS4
-upcoming Traktor S4 (also expensive, but as you know i am a HUGE fan of )

They are not very lightweight? He needs to take it in hand luggage.

The sound will be fine. i use my VCI 300 directly and its spot on. I would imagine they are the same sound cards as it came out after (i think).
Not sure about mic latency however! There is a considerable delay and I run the mic through a seperate mixer because of this.

Are you sure you need a controller though - a little beringer mixer would be ideal with a cheap maplin external splitter thing. that will save you some money and get the job done. Other option is to borrow a spare controller off someone.

http://www.solico.be/images/products/5ch-mini-mixer-Behringer-Eu.jpg

TONYTIGER
22-09-2010, 10:59 AM
For all in one go for the VC1-300 as you do not need a mixer its all there even mic input ,i have one set up in front of me as i type great bit of kit and the quality is spot on.

Larry B Entertainment
22-09-2010, 11:17 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hercules+rmx+review&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=uneYTJKjNs654AbCl-k7

There are plenty of reviews on Google and Youtube i'm sure you have looked.

Personally i think the Hercules RMX looks like a toy and I just wouldn't want to trust my reputation to one especially with a 3.5k sound system going out the back end.

Perhaps you should carry an additional sound interface too so that you can run it externally and check the quality of both?

Other all in one options to look at (although i'd need to check they all have sound cards, I 'believe' they do) are
-ADJ VMS4
-upcoming Traktor S4 (also expensive, but as you know i am a HUGE fan of Traktor)

I have owned 3 hercules units in my time. A jog dial failed on one and a button failed on the other 2.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-09-2010, 04:27 PM
For all in one go for the VC1-300 as you do not need a mixer its all there even mic input ,i have one set up in front of me as i type great bit of kit and the quality is spot on.

One thing that bothers me on this unit - no mic eq.

welby
22-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd personally go for a VMS 4 - works with Virtual DJ -built in sound card - eq on mics - thinking about getting one for smaller gigs - Fits in a small suitcase. etc etc...

just waiting on the new denon. :D

oh and it works in midi and analogue.

Crikey I've nearly sold myself one - phew!

yourdj
22-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Yep but go for the new version as it has sorted the mic latency.

Yes there is its on the itch (on screen to the right - in a pull out box thing) - has 3 band eq, gain & balance. Its pretty good.

Also next to it is an eq for the through, which is a phono input on the back and can be used for background and will play through if there is a mixer failure (ie someone pulls out your USB/power cable).

If your going to BPM why not test all the systems out? I will have my VCI if you want to test it although im sure vestax stall will have a few :p

Yes there is its on the itch (on screen to the right - in a pull out box thing) - has 3 band eq, gain & balance. Its pretty good.

Here you go - the device has to be plugged in to access it:
:)

TONYTIGER
22-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Yes it has ,built in to the software 3 way eq.

Corabar Steve
22-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Keep up at the back

:sj:

yourdj
22-09-2010, 07:08 PM

:D :D

-

TONYTIGER
22-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Keep up at the back

:sj:

Who suggested it in the first place ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Now now...

I love you all the same for helping me with your suggestions. :sj:

visualdjmax
22-09-2010, 09:56 PM
I may be going abroad to DJ a wedding and will be flying. Most of the gear will be hired in, but I will need a lightweight and portable solution in terms of the mixer and controller.

It will need to be carried as hand luggage, so be the right size to do that. I will probably be using Virtual DJ and maybe some kind of back up.

I have looked at the Hercules RMX, but have no idea what the sound quality is like - any users?

Any other ideas welcome.

No budget at the moment, but weighing up all the options.

If you are getting the kit out there why do you need a mixer? Just take your laptop and a back up and patch into there kit. Job done.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2010, 09:06 AM
If you are getting the kit out there why do you need a mixer? Just take your laptop and a back up and patch into there kit. Job done.

I am looking at all solutions and then will take the best one.

I don't know if they would be able to source a controller for VDJ for a start. MY main playout is a Denon HD2500 and I think that will be too heavy to take.

funkymook
23-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I am looking at all solutions and then will take the best one.

I don't know if they would be able to source a controller for VDJ for a start. MY main playout is a Denon HD2500 and I think that will be too heavy to take.

For hand baggage there isn't usually a weight restriction (depends who you're flying with) so I reckon a HD2500 and a small mixer (Denon DNX050 springs to mind) should be within size restrictions and not to heavy for you to carry. Also, you might be able to argue they're musical instuments, in which case (on BA for example) they can go in addition to your normal hand luggage in a case no bigger than a guitar case - you'd need to contact your airline first to verify they'll allow DJ gear as instruments.

I now have a spare DNX050 (thank you Toby!) if you need to borrow it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2010, 09:26 AM
For hand baggage there isn't usually a weight restriction (depends who you're flying with) so I reckon a HD2500 and a small mixer (Denon DNX050 springs to mind) should be within size restrictions and not to heavy for you to carry. Also, you might be able to argue they're musical instuments, in which case (on BA for example) they can go in addition to your normal hand luggage in a case no bigger than a guitar case - you'd need to contact your airline first to verify they'll allow DJ gear as instruments.

I now have a spare DNX050 (thank you Toby!) if you need to borrow it.

I have one too, thanks anyway. Perhaps I'll take the HD2500 and the laptop for backup then. I don't suppose I really need a case to take it in really.

Mark Wild
23-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Xponent and lappy in a gig bag, sorted. (hoping you can source a mixer there to DI into.)

MagicMusic
23-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I can recommend the Hercules RMX.

I've been using it for nearly a year and I'm happy with its sound quality and features.

My only gripe is the resolution / sensitivity of the jog wheels which, for me, are not up to scratch for beatmixing.

Otherwise, a great all in one solution in my opinion.

Its worth noting that the RMX is actually relatively heavy compared to the Numark controllers.