PDA

View Full Version : Interesting study...

Vectis
30-09-2010, 10:23 AM
... but hardly surprising.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/29/teenagers_proximity_payments/

So how will your payments model adapt over the next 3-5 years as the targeted demographic start booking their wedding discos?

Discuss.

Steve the DJ
30-09-2010, 10:32 AM
PayPal Mobile, job done. :D

Corabar Entertainment
30-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Hmmm.... well, I'll certainly be waiting until there's a little more evidence:-

The study was limited to just over 200 participants, spread over 10 countries and self selected.

But still, starting to make plans to ensure your website is mobile-friendly is prudent. Then they'll be able to pay via their phone anyhow :)

Vectis
30-09-2010, 10:55 AM
PayPal Mobile, job done. :D

Aye.

But every time the dreaded P word is uttered on this forum dozens of naysayers appear, complaining of 'excessive charges' and basing their reluctance to embrace on a dodgy ebay deal of a few years ago.

So for those who do customer meetings, anyone considered technologies such as Bump?

wensleydale
30-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Probably not a lot- most of my payments are done by BACS- I suspect mobile banking will become more "mobile" but cant see it changing drastically.

Vectis
30-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Probably not a lot- most of my payments are done by BACS- I suspect mobile banking will become more "mobile" but cant see it changing drastically.

But don't you think BACS is so Web 0.1?

No matter how sexed up a mobile banking app becomes, youngsters don't want to be tapping in account numbers, sort codes and references... setting up suppliers, waiting for a text to authorise the setting up of the new entry, going back in, typing out the numbers...

... they just want to pop in the amount, hit a big green button and be on their way.

??

Corabar Entertainment
30-09-2010, 11:49 AM
...technologies such as Bump?Never heard of it. Care to elaborate further?

wensleydale
30-09-2010, 12:00 PM

No matter how sexed up a mobile banking app becomes, youngsters don't want to be tapping in account numbers, sort codes and references... setting up suppliers, waiting for a text to authorise the setting up of the new entry, going back in, typing out the numbers...

... they just want to pop in the amount, hit a big green button and be on their way.

??

In some circumstances yes- eg buying a CD or DVD, but when they're paying £500 for a Wedding Disco then I still think that as it's not an impulse purchase they will type in a sort code and account number- it's only 14 numbers after all- I can pay a bill online in less than a minute- not a significant amount of time really.

Vectis
30-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Never heard of it. Care to elaborate further?

http://bu.mp/

CRAZY K
30-09-2010, 12:12 PM

??

Its always good to be up to date ( on whats going on not necessarily up to date;) ) and fortunately our business models are not attracting mobile phone, i phone or ipad junkies at the moment, although we do get more and more users and clients in those categories.

The big crunch will come when cheque books start to disappear in my opinion.:eek:

THEN the great unwashed public including me will take a long hard look at payment alternatives.

I personally think if your selling an off the shelf solution then people are less likely to say===oooooh if you cant do card payments, credit cards, paypal or phone payments we are going somewhere else.

But after all if your selling train tickets ( a very bland commodity) on the Internet its unthinkable you couldnt use card payments.

Soooo if your competing at a very price driven level yes you should be taking note NOW of Martins post--if not my view is its a few years off ( like the disappearance of cheque books)

Despite the convenience of everything ipad, i phone and mobile phone Corporates are unlikely to be affected nor discerning Brides and Party throwers--which makes up a lot of our workload at the moment.

When it doesnt I will do a Rob James---retire early:D :D :D