PDA

View Full Version : Tonights dismal requests

simonp
08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
I think this one 'slipped through the net' so to speak. It's a 50th Birthday, and this is what I got back for 'requests' - feel free to feel my pain, NO-one in there right mind would swap a playlist for this (bearing in mind you've got to try and get them to dance)

Genesis
Ian Dury
Crowded House
Stones
Paul Weller
Kinks
Fleetwood Mac
Dire Straits
and one or two Barry Manilow :eek:

I'm going to be having a banging one tonight folks - can hardly wait - They're gonna being tearing the joint down & dancing in the aisles :D ;)

Corabar Steve
08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Genesis - Turn it on again, Invisible touch
Ian Dury - Hit me with your rhythm stick, Reasons to be cheerful (Pt.3), Sex & Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll
Crowded House - It's only natural
Stones - Satisfaction, Brown sugar, Honky tonk women (& many more)
Paul Weller - Town called Malice (OK it's the Jam but I'm sure you'll get away with it), The changingman
Kinks - You really got me, All day & all of the night, Picture book, Waterloo sunset, Lola
Fleetwood Mac - Don't stop, Go your own way, Dreams, Little lies
Dire Straits - Sultans of swing, Money for nothing, Walk of life
and one or two Barry Manilow - Copacabana, Could it be magic

Where's the problem?

rob1963
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Where's the problem?

I must admit I was wondering the same thing!

:confused:

yourdj
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Ian Dury - Hit me with your rhythm stick, Reasons to be cheerful (Pt.3), Sex & Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll
Crowded House - It's only natural
Stones - Satisfaction, Brown sugar, Honky tonk women (& many more)
Paul Weller - Town called Malice (OK it's the Jam but I'm sure you'll get away with it), The changingman
Kinks - You really got me, All day & all of the night, Picture book, Waterloo sunset, Lola
Fleetwood Mac - Don't stop, Go your own way, Dreams, Little lies
Dire Straits - Sultans of swing, Money for nothing, Walk of life
and one or two Barry Manilow - Copacabana, Could it be magic

Where's the problem?

thats what i was thinking? 50 + year old men love most of that.
Copa Cabana is a great track althought a little cheesy :p not sure about its only natural though.
I would have to drop rythym stick in when its busy.

simonp
08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
I've got exactly all those in the 'set-list' already cheers Steve (except Could It Be Magic (extremely slow song), along with cococabana I went with Manilows version of 'Never Gonna Give You Up :o ) - still doesn't fill me with any confidence though :lol:

Still on the whole not what I would call 'danceable' music IMHO

WWDJ
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
oooh you do complain!

Plenty to work with. Maybe drop in a bit of the Clash or Who

Corabar Steve
08-10-2010, 10:19 AM
(except Could It Be Magic (extremely slow song
True, I had Take That's version in my head.:o

Has this version been commercially released?

YouTube - Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic [Unreleased Extended Dance Mix]1997

James
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
that's a great starting block to work with

DazzyD
08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
I would add Rolling Stones - Start Me Up. Always gets a good reaction from the "embarrassing dads and uncles" at parties.

It's not too bad a request list. I can think of some a lot worse!

Megamix
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I would just say they lean towards the Pop Rock so would take that as my cue to find similar stuff

simonp
08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
True, I had Take That's version in my head.:o

Has this version been commercially released?

YouTube - Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic [Unreleased Extended Dance Mix]1997 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G4ktOKzEi8)

Can't find it Steve - it does say 'unreleased dance mix' (might just play the piano intro of Barry's and whack in Take Thats Version

that's a great starting block to work with

No it's not mate - for me its pants, this is precisely the sort of stuff I absolutely HATE with a passion - It's not Disco/dance music, it's....well serious music for people living in the past - they don't need me, classic case for an ipod party - When I originally took the call I did mention I may not be a suitable DJ for a 50th and was going to pass them to Theo when she assured me they were a modern trendy 50 etc etc :lol:

So, anyway, I've decided to keep myself interested tonight by ditching the normal playout gear with Traktor Pro and I'm now taking the NS7 for an outing, so just added their specific playlist to Serato itch, and added some cue oints and looped the Stones riff amongst other stuff (Below), when they come behind the decks for requests they'll see vinyl and get all nostalgic ;)

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/Picture5.png

Megamix
08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
serious music for people living in the past

A little harsh - I think music should not be defined by how old it is.

simonp
08-10-2010, 04:51 PM
A little harsh - I think music should not be defined by how old it is.

Just my opinion mate, I'm not saying it's bad in its own right or within its place in musical history, just cack for a disco, and I hate playing that sort of stuff - it's everything I'm not about :D

BeerFunk
08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
It's not the best playlist to work with, by a long shot. Could be worse though! :)

dj keevers
08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
id love to have that request list, and would need to be nailed behind the decks to stop me bopping to the majority on that list

Corabar Steve
09-10-2010, 01:05 AM
I actually made a point of playing as may of my suggestions as possible tonight & without fail they went down very well (Crowd 18 - mid 30s /40ish)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I actually made a point of playing as may of my suggestions as possible tonight & without fail they went down very well (Crowd 18 - mid 30s /40ish)

And you were in a pub were you?

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Private gig, actually (40th)

Corabar Steve
09-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Private gig, actually (40th)
With a buffet :sj:

simonp
09-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Sure they did Steve - I haven't got an issue playing some of them throughout the course of a 'normal' night, they certainly would go down well in amongst the normal stuff we all have to play.

My problem was that it was this sort of music they wanted ALL night, as it really isn't my bag at all, and I really had to put on an act behind the console to look like I was enjoying myself TBH when Id have rather been perming my hair! The night was ok in the end, nothing special yet not a disaster as far as I was concerned. I'd have given it a 6 out of 10 I suppose - More importantly the Birthday Bloke and his missus were happy which is what counted.

Shakermaker Promotions
09-10-2010, 05:25 PM
That's exactly how I felt the other week when I did a wedding that was for a young couple. The Groom wanted Ska/Punk (Blink 182, Transplants, Rancid etc) and the Bride wanted stuff like Khia 'My Neck, My Back' and all the X Rated Hip Hop stuff.

When I was playing the latter, I simply went from her list and made out I was enjoying it. The guests (especially the girls) were mad for it and thought I was the best thing since sliced bread judging by the reaction I was getting. When I played the other stuff, I actually loved it and didn't have to pretend. It made me laugh though cos I drum along like animal from the muppets and I could see a couple of 'oldies' out the corner of my eye, laughing at me because I was so animated.

Corabar Entertainment
10-10-2010, 12:46 AM
My problem was that it was this sort of music they wanted ALL night,Aaahhh... I, for one, didn't realise that from your initial post and have been sat here wondering what the problem was! :( :( :(

All becomes clear now :lightbulb:

Johnny P
10-10-2010, 11:28 PM

Where's the problem?

Maybe the client wanted some Genesis before Peter Gabriel left and they went 'disco'?

Corabar Steve
11-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Even better

DazzyD
11-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Sure they did Steve - I haven't got an issue playing some of them throughout the course of a 'normal' night, they certainly would go down well in amongst the normal stuff we all have to play.

My problem was that it was this sort of music they wanted ALL night, as it really isn't my bag at all, and I really had to put on an act behind the console to look like I was enjoying myself TBH when Id have rather been perming my hair! The night was ok in the end, nothing special yet not a disaster as far as I was concerned. I'd have given it a 6 out of 10 I suppose - More importantly the Birthday Bloke and his missus were happy which is what counted.

Job well done, then! ;)