PDA

View Full Version : Headphones - How do you use yours?

Shaun
08-10-2010, 02:20 PM
We probably all have different ways of using headphones. Some might wear them on their head, others have swivel cups on them and rest them of their shoulders or hold them in their hand.

Every time I've bought a set of headphones I dissect them and use only one cup, rested on my shoulder with my head and neck arched into it - usually resulting in a stiff neck by the end of the night (that's old age for ya!). I'm not sure why but I hate the feel of headphones on my head when DJing so have opted to use mine as I do.

How do you use yours? Just curious. :)

Megamix
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
on and off - when on flip them back onto my shoulders (with a flourish)

WWDJ
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I take them off when I have finished mixing. To be honest, since I have been using Traktor I have used them a lot less anyhow because beatmatching is sorted for you.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Top of head, or round my kneck. depens how intensive my mixing is.

ppentertainments
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Hung on the side of my deckstand. :D
On the odd occasion I use them, I swivel them round holding a cup to my ear

Daryll
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Never use them :confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Around my neck and then when using them usually one cup to an ear. Swivel cup ones are a must for me

DiscoPromotions
08-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Depends on what I'm doing... Usually as I use mixmeister I will wear them majority of the time flicking between live mix and tracking coming up..

Excalibur
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I wear 'em. They tend to fit that way. Anything else is simply posing. ;)

Mind you, I'm considering trialling those in-ear microphones I've heard about.:D :D :D :D :D :D

Larry B Entertainment
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
On my head with the left cup on my ear. When not in use they are round my neck.

Shaun
08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Mind you, I'm considering trialling those in-ear microphones I've heard about.:D :D :D :D :D :D

:rofl: It's the future! :bag:

Excalibur
08-10-2010, 08:52 PM
:rofl: It's the future! :bag:
I don't doubt it, but one thing confuses me. :confused: :confused:

When I've mentioned your name to folk, most of them say you talk out of your :moon:

DeckstarDeluxe
09-10-2010, 01:23 AM
On my head with the left cup on my ear. When not in use they are round my neck.

Interesting....

I'm a righty feels odd using the left unless one of the main speakers is to my right

notroubleclubber
09-10-2010, 08:28 AM
On my head with right cup to my ear. So i can hear the final mix but also what im mixing..............must remember to get some monitors!

Shaun
09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't doubt it, but one thing confuses me. :confused: :confused:

When I've mentioned your name to folk, most of them say you talk out of your :moon:

In-butt-moniters....just doesn't have the same 'ring' to it. Excuse the pun. :d

Interesting....

I'm a righty feels odd using the left unless one of the main speakers is to my right

I'm a lefty too.

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2010, 10:36 AM
No, no, no.... it's just a typo. We know what you really meant was "in-'ere microphones"

Larry B Entertainment
09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Interesting....

Suppose its what you get used to.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I just use the left headphone and have the right on my neck.

I can't stand to see DJs wearing them round their neck - it just looks like you are trying too hard to look like a DJ. :sj:

Jonathan Ford
09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I just use the left headphone and have the right on my neck.

I can't stand to see DJs wearing them round their neck - it just looks like you are trying too hard to look like a DJ. :sj:

Absolutely. I've seen a couple of medical students I know wearing a stethoscope on the bus!!

Headphones are a tool. I wear them when I'm using them, and then put them back on the stand.

Charlie Brown
09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
What are headphones?

DJWilson
09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Hang on my flightcase latch, only use them to preview track's I'm not sure of, ready to play.

Tony Scott
09-10-2010, 06:19 PM
When beat mixing I put the band around the back of my neck with both cups over my ears and use the split cue function on the DN-X500 to get the mix right. I then slip the right cup down to hear the monitor/playout as I bring the track in.

I've always worked with the cued track in the left ear and the playing track on the right, I always place the monitor on the right too... I'm right handed but always cue on the left, is this typical/unusual? :confused: :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm the same Tony!

DJ James Lake
10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
When beat mixing I put the band around the back of my neck with both cups over my ears and use the split cue function on the DN-X500 to get the mix right. I then slip the right cup down to hear the monitor/playout as I bring the track in.

I've always worked with the cued track in the left ear and the playing track on the right, I always place the monitor on the right too... I'm right handed but always cue on the left, is this typical/unusual? :confused: :)

Exactly the same here

BeerFunk
10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Depending on the situation, I either have the headphones resting on my shoulders, or hanging from one of the latches on the flightcase.

I only use one side of the headphones too, but I'm ambidextrous, so it can be either :D

This is slightly annoying with some tracks, such as the intro to Mr Brightside which is mixed into only the left channel to start with, and gradually introduced into the right after the vocals kick in.

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
... This is slightly annoying with some tracks, such as the intro to Mr Brightside which is mixed into only the left channel to start with, and gradually introduced into the right after the vocals kick in.

This has caused me panic in the past too... 'why isn't it playing!!' :D

I find the recording quality of 'Mr Brightside' is awful, does anybody else find this?

DeckstarDeluxe
10-10-2010, 12:40 PM
yes Tony but whenever I've played it people have loved it so they dont really care.

BeerFunk
10-10-2010, 01:51 PM
This has caused me panic in the past too... 'why isn't it playing!!' :D Yeah the first few times it made my heartbeat increase slightly! :D

My first thought was to check the other side of the headphones, and my second thought was that the headphones were faulty!

I find the recording quality of 'Mr Brightside' is awful, does anybody else find this?Yes. Possibly deliberate though, to give a rough round the edges 'live' sound.

simonp
10-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I find the recording quality of 'Mr Brightside' is awful, does anybody else find this?

Me too, it is awful quality - even more noticable when you've preceeded it with Sex On Fire!

CRS1.com
16-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Just my two penneth....

Up until about three months ago I was still using my 1980's telephone and loving it...
That is until I had a broken headband pair of new Numark PHX given back to me by a customer, replaced and credited recieved from Numark and told to scrap them....

So I thought it was time to "pimp my phone" and tried to fit the larger speaker from the numark into my phone shell.....
Big mistake, I broke the phone trying to get the larger diaphragm in and couldn't get parts to put it back to how it was.
So I then came up with a cunning brainwave and so cut the broken part of the PHX headband then taped it up, over latyered it with heatshrink and made me a wonderfully loud and clear "21st Century Phone"

So in answer to your question....
I use a adapted one sided stick type headphone, wedged hard to my right ear. It's held there by my raised shoulder when mixing. Which isn't often as I'm not very good at all that mixing malarchy.... YET!!!!!!

Corabar Entertainment
17-10-2010, 12:12 AM
...cut the broken part of the PHX headband then taped it up, over latyered it with heatshrink and made me a wonderfully loud and clear "21st Century Phone"
We need pictures, Clive! :D