PDA

View Full Version : Barrington Hall - Cambridge

visualdjmax
11-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi all

I have got a wedding this Saturday at Barrington House in Cambridge. Has anybody worked there before? They have a sound ceiling(PDF attached) that I have to patch into :eek: does anybody have any experience of these at all? On the one hand it's great as I don't have to take any PA and on the other it scares the life out of me.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

MAX

Vectis
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I've used a sound ceiling - there's one in a local venue here.

It's very effective when you're stood underneath it (apart from sounding a bit "odd" because the music seems to be coming from the 'wrong' direction), but at this particular venue the stage area was a good 5 or 6 metres from the dancefloor and so as the DJ it was a nightmare knowing how it sounded during the gig - I was back and forth, twiddle, back and forth, twiddle all night :o

Punters didn't mind, so that's the main thing.

11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
As it happens i worked there last saturday night. Nice venue, and lovely people that run it.

While the guests had a great time and a good level of people dancing, i felt (the same as Vectis) a bit detached from the music. It sounds great over the dancefloor, but step away from it the 6ft or so where i'd set up and it was really.

Cheers
Alan.

CRAZY K
11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi all

I have got a wedding this Saturday at Barrington House in Cambridge. Has anybody worked there before? They have a sound ceiling(PDF attached) that I have to patch into :eek: does anybody have any experience of these at all? On the one hand it's great as I don't have to take any PA and on the other it scares the life out of me.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

MAX

Sound ceilings--heres some good advice.

ENTERTAINERS WITH MICROPHONE NIGHTMARE:eek: :eek: :eek:

PLAYED ONE FOUR WEEKS AGO, HATED EVERY SECOND OF IT.

As VV explains the sound comes straight down and theres no dispersion.

The reason normally is SOUND LIMITATION PROBLEMS.:eek: :eek: :eek:

You can only hear the sound if you are DIRECTLY below them--also tend to be bad on feedback.

However if your doing minimal voice over work should be fine.

Also the two venues I played like this the sound equipment wasnt 100 per cent so give plenty of time to get set up, test sound and learn controls.

It tends to get abused by all and sundry using it.

Final thing, if anyone is not under a speaker they cant hear whats going on, that includes you unless you can sneak in a powered speaker to use as a monitor which appears to be what a lot of DJs do.

You didnt hear me say that;)

The problem is invariably a lot of the audience cant get near enough the speakers to get any feel for the music--sounds more like muzak in the Coop.

Also if your used to loads of power and bass end--you might be very disappointed.

Make sure they can hear you announcing the FIRST DANCE because although I have a powerful mike technique--I COULD NOT get people who were sitting a distance away from the Speaker Ceiling area to hear anything I said.

Believe it or not I had to go down on the Dance Floor and shout at people WITHOUT AMPLIFICATION sitting down--HEY ITS TIME FOR THE FIRST DANCE---totally unprofessional but no choice.

If I were you I would either take a Roadie with a loud voice OR enlist the Best Man/Ushers to make sure people know ITS THE FIRST DANCE.

Effectively you have no proper PA.

Maybe you might be lucky:D :D :D

visualdjmax
11-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Cheers for all of your help so far lads. Top advice. Also thanks to Alan, who PM'd me and I spoke to ref his gig last week. Thanks again. I will let you know how I get on. Cheers MAX

CRAZY K
11-10-2010, 05:28 PM
As it happens i worked there last saturday night. Nice venue, and lovely people that run it.

While the guests had a great time and a good level of people dancing, i felt (the same as Vectis) a bit detached from the music. It sounds great over the dancefloor, but step away from it the 6ft or so where i'd set up and it was really.

Cheers
Alan.

How did you get on with announcements Alan--could anyone outside the speaker area hear what you said?

Bonus if they can:D

yourdj
11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Just bring a decent monitor I would say?

a studio small speaker would be ideal.

CRAZY K
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Just bring a decent monitor I would say?

a studio small speaker would be ideal.

Until the Function Manager sees it:eek:

I would suspect theres a noise limit problem.

The gig I did in Hertfordshire the DJ hid the additional Active speakers under his Starcloth as he wasnt supposed to have it there because of complaints about excessive noise:eek:

11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
How did you get on with announcements Alan--could anyone outside the speaker area hear what you said?

Bonus if they can:D

If i'd used the sound ceiling for the annoucements it would have been disasterous, but the venue realised this and they gave me a microphone which was patched into a pair of speakers at the other end of the dancefloor which they used for the speeches earlier in the day, so you could make annoucements quite effectively, using that.

The only time i spoke on the mic through the dancefloor PA was at the very end of the night, when the majority of the guests were all on the dancefloor.

charlie
12-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Iv worked there mate, like Alan said, nice place, and nice people but the ceiling is shocking!

You wont be able to gauge levels very well and you could easily have a phone conversation from the side of the dancefloor!

I didnt enjoy it at all, as i couldnt mix anything!

Have fun though :)

yourdj
12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Until the Function Manager sees it:eek:

I would suspect theres a noise limit problem.

It does not have to be on loud :confused: Im talking home stereo size. 30-40 cm high

All you need is an audible level of sound in the DJ area.
That can be hidden anywhere. Doubt anyone would mind (I would not mention it).

charlie
12-10-2010, 05:03 PM
It does not have to be on loud :confused: Im talking home stereo size. 30-40 cm high

All you need is an audible level of sound in the DJ area.
That can be hidden anywhere. Doubt anyone would mind (I would not mention it).

I know a DJ who works there regularly and he puts in a monitor for all gigs done there.

yourdj
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I know a DJ who works there regularly and he puts in a monitor for all gigs done there.

Yes we used to do it for the free parties and drum and bass gigs.
A must have for an alienated DJ area or anyone wanting to mix properly. ;)

I use a small studio mixer some times but the spare Tapco does the job if needed.

visualdjmax
12-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Cool so a monitor it is then! Cheers Charlie and Lads!

Twinspin
14-10-2010, 01:39 AM
ive worked in a venue before where they have used a Cloud zone mixer.
sound over the dancefloor turned up and sound in the seating areas turned down through a bose panaray system.

wouldnt that be much easier than a sound ceiling if the venues actually did something like this.

Have fun anyway.

yourdj
14-10-2010, 07:08 AM
ive worked in a venue before where they have used a Cloud zone mixer.
sound over the dancefloor turned up and sound in the seating areas turned down through a bose panaray system..

Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW
Until the Function Manager sees it

I would suspect theres a noise limit problem

I wish more venues near me adopted this approach with the ceiling thing as less sound will travel through windows as it get absorbed by heads and the floor. especially for marquees as the floor is technically grass and soil which is very absorbent. The venue can also limit the sound themselves then.

CRAZY K
14-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I wish more venues near me adopted this approach with the ceiling thing as less sound will travel through windows as it get absorbed by heads and the floor. especially for marquees as the floor is technically grass and soil which is very absorbent. The venue can also limit the sound themselves then.

Yeah great as long as you dont need to make important PA announcements that can be heard anywhere thats more than 3 yards from any ceiling speaker:eek: :eek: :eek:

As you will realise the ceiling speakers tend to be clustered over the dance floor meaning 80 to 90 per cent of people wont be close enough and if no one is dancing thats 100 per cent.

First Wedding Dance--Congratulations--Happy Birthday--Taxi for Mr X
Barn Dance, Salsa etc NO CHANCE

Unless you have an effective additional monitor or Active speaker of your own YOU WILL APPEAR TO BE UNPROFESSIONAL--cant hear what the DJ is saying etc etc ONLY sound pros, DJs and Entertainers would understand the reason.

I know the monitor /active speaker helps BUT if its like the venue I played recently THE NEIGHBOURS start complaining--too much of that and guess what --NO MORE MUSIC LICENCE.:eek:

visualdjmax
14-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Great I am so looking forward to this!

visualdjmax
17-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Right then well that was an experience! First of all I was gigging on my own, which I really don't make a habit out of. Really nice venue, lovely staff, really east load-in and out. The sound is the big problem. Basically they have got and local old lady who lives in a shoe that just complains about the noise form the events that they run (approx 26 a year). So they have had this sound ceiling installed on a ground support truss and then is draped (looks like a massive pair of knickers. You are alright as long as you are in the dead centre of the dancefloor otherwise they are shed loads of dead spots. I lost count how many times told me to turn up.

CRAZY K
17-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Right then well that was an experience! First of all I was gigging on my own, which I really don't make a habit out of. Really nice venue, lovely staff, really east load-in and out. The sound is the big problem. Basically they have got and local old lady who lives in a shoe that just complains about the noise form the events that they run (approx 26 a year). So they have had this sound ceiling installed on a ground support truss and then is draped (looks like a massive pair of knickers. You are alright as long as you are in the dead centre of the dancefloor otherwise they are shed loads of dead spots. I lost count how many times told me to turn up.

Well at least you were like a Boy Scout

PREPARED;)

You heard it on here first--I wont ask any questions as I KNOW FIRST HAND
how difficult it is working in those conditions.

My only decision for next year is--do I or dont I state on my website openly--

WE ARE UNABLE TO APPEAR AT ANY VENUE WITH SOUND LIMITATION OR CEILING SPEAKERS INSTALLED.

I wonder if I might get some LEGAL flak from venues---:confused:

What do you think Angela??

Corabar Entertainment
17-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I wonder if I might get some LEGAL flak from venues---:confused:

What do you think Angela??I think I don't understand the question! :blush: :sorry:

Max: So - keen to take on a residency at the venue after that, eh? :lol:

CRAZY K
17-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I think I don't understand the question! :blush: :sorry:

OK I have a blunt message on my site (maybe) saying we wont play at venues with Sound Limiters because they have caused us problems.

Client very keen to book me personally mentions this to venue-who get the hump because I MIGHT lose them business--I would certainly allege in my quote ( not necessarily the web site) in writing that the reason is it might disrupt a performance including switching off the power on the First Dance and similar problems which would wreck the event.

I just wondered how far I could take this before attracting unwelcome attention--

I guess its asort of libel and slander type question without the specifics--accusing certain types of venues( those with noise limitation) of being a "problem":confused:

Your thoughts would be appreciated--im going to do it!

thanks

visualdjmax
17-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I think I don't understand the question! :blush: :sorry:

Max: So - keen to take on a residency at the venue after that, eh? :lol:

Funny that no! There is only so much, "mate that sounds terrible".

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Funny that no! There is only so much, "mate that sounds terrible".:lol:

OK I have a blunt message on my site (maybe) saying we wont play at venues with Sound Limiters because they have caused us problems.....Sorry Alan... could have sworn I answered yesterday! :daft: Must have got sidetracked - sorry.

Well, I can't see where anyone would have a case against you if you put up a notice that you will not work in venues with sound limiters and calmly stating your reasoning behind this.

The only way I could see any possible come-back (for defamation, or whatever) is if you put up a very emotive statement accusing all venues who had such things as being x, y or z (which I am sure you would never do) and even then it would only be in particular circumstances.

CRAZY K
18-10-2010, 02:51 PM
:lol:

Sorry Alan... could have sworn I answered yesterday! :daft: Must have got sidetracked - sorry.

Well, I can't see where anyone would have a case against you if you put up a notice that you will not work in venues with sound limiters and calmly stating your reasoning behind this.

The only way I could see any possible come-back (for defamation, or whatever) is if you put up a very emotive statement accusing all venues who had such things as being x, y or z (which I am sure you would never do) and even then it would only be in particular circumstances.

Thanks, what about--

Music being stopped completely at inappropriate times by a sound limiter can cause disruption to the usual smooth running of the function by our Entertainer and potentially may leave you the customer unhappy with the service provided as well as being a disappointment to your guests.

Be aware some sound limiters may respond to noise made by guests being a little exuberant ( including clapping and shouting) and may often NOT be triggered by excessively loud music which sound limiters are intended to prevent.

Unless we are satisfied through verification from independent parties ( not the venue) that the limit set at the premises is reasonable allowing for the style of function you are holding we regret we are unable to offer our services as our objective is to always provide an entertaining and memorable evening for the right reasons.

Might as well get this drafted and start to use it;)

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Certainly can't see anything wrong with that, Alan :)

CRAZY K
18-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Certainly can't see anything wrong with that, Alan :)

Thanks Angela, will have to make a start using it on my quotes.:D