PDA

View Full Version : DIY tops , first test

Daryll
14-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Well after what seems ages , I have finished my tops , comprising of 2 x BMS 8" drivers and a compression driver .
The original idea was to tri amp the whole lot , compression driver , mids and sub ( still being made). however , as I found out , tri amping just adds more cableing more cases and more to go wrong , I have adopted a bi-amp system , building passive crossovers into the tops.

The initial impression was wow !! , little did I know that a wiring fault ( my own :Censored: ) prevented the compression drivers from working , so all I had was the 8"`s , two per box , to say these can handle the power is an understatement , now taking the from the Behringer site ,the EP 2500 will produce 650w per channel into 4 ohm`s , well the amp was very near clipping , the speakers were crystal clear ,no hint of distortion.
For small venues ,or discreet weddings , there is no need for a sub , these go down to 80hz by them selves , ok dubstep is out , but more main stream music would be fine
After a chat with Tony Wilkes ( designer of the speakers) from speaker plans , it is possible to build the subs as two 1 x 12 , instead of a 2 x 12 configuration , that would make a very versatile system . plus the fact up to three subs will fit under an ultimax stand .
As to what they compare with , that is a personal opinion , however . I feel they sound better than a lot of so called mid range systems , but no quite up to Void/RCF standard , but with out a side by side comparison I will no commit to guesswork :D .
Plans are afoot for an active version ,( my design ;) ) maybe using the 12" and a 2" mid/high compression driver , I believe that Tony is producing a flat pack 1 x 12 sub cab , all cnc machined , complete with grill and all metalwork ( no driver :D ) for about £80 , the tops come in at 8kg each , so very light.

right , where`s that wood glue :D

Daryll

Paul James Promotions
14-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Post some photos :)