PDA

View Full Version : PAT certificate

funkymike
30-07-2006, 02:39 AM
So what is a PAT certificate then, had my Equipment done today (£25 bargin) by a compident chap whos been on a course. Iam told there isnt and never had been a certificate, anyone can make one on a pc?

So what does or is there a certificate, or is it just a piece of paper anyone can print off from a computer, where's the proof on it and is it a legal document?

Shaun
30-07-2006, 02:56 AM
I was supplied with a certificate when I was tested, plus a printed readout of the actual test results.

The most important thing is that each of your tested equipment is labeled by the examiner and you are provided with the actual readings of your testing.

funkymike
30-07-2006, 02:58 AM
I was supplied with a certificate when I was tested, plus a printed readout of the actual test results.

The most important thing is that each of your tested equipment is labeled by the examiner and you are provided with the actual readings of your testing.

I understand that, but the venue wanted a certificate, but as I understand there is no such thing, its just a print out from a pc, anyone could do it,thats the point I was trying make (didnt work did it LOL )

Shaun
30-07-2006, 03:06 AM
The certificate I have is signed by the actual examiner...maybe the venuea require documentation that is signed by the person that's carried out the tests?.

but as I understand there is no such thing,
I can only speak from first hand experience. The people I know that do PAT testing all supply certificates.

funkymike
30-07-2006, 03:14 AM
yes, as well too, but what iam saying is anyone can produce a cerificate on a pc, what makes it legal, like a gas man has to be corgi registered and has a number an a id card or a limited company has a stamp, PAT is a saftey thing so arent there any such a thing for it to give it wothyness of what it appiles too, to stop anyone making it up.

Shaun
30-07-2006, 03:26 AM
I understand you know ( I really shouldn't hit the alcohol after a gig :D)

I would presume that people that are qualified to PAT test are presented with documentation or certification upon completion of their course to state that they are qualified to undertake the procedures.

Most certificates that are supplied when you are pat tested come with the contact details of the company thats carried out the testing. If the venue wanted to validate things further they could contact the tester and request to see his PAT testing certification?

Thames Valley Discos
30-07-2006, 02:00 PM
As stated " by law" as i have said before. Any Competent person can PAT test, they need to understand the equipment used and what each test is for. There is no official " certificate" required, but most will give a printout or documentation listing the items checked, and whether they passed or failed. All equipment should be labelelled and easily referenced with this documentation. PAT testing is still a gray area.
just remember though, you are the most likely person who will get the 240v down your arm!