PDA

View Full Version : And now for the last dance-at the start of the night???

scoopd
15-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Videographer at a recent wedding asked me to play my last song 15 minutes into the night.He said "I won't be there at the end so it's best to film it now"
He claimed it's relatively common practice(maybe just for him). I've certainly never done it before and had reservations about asking the wedding party to take part in it too.

Have you ever been asked to do this? certainly not common practice for me and a little "flat" compared to the real end of night!!!

Mark Wild
15-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Runrig 15 minutes into the night? wtf man, unless this was specifically asked for by the bride and groom, I'd tell him to get lost but thats just me.

funksoulbrother
15-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Probably considering how much he is charging the B & G for him to video the reception, I would issue a biblical response..... "Go forth and multiply:muppet: ".

Bet he hadn't mentioned that to the B & G in his meetings with them! And I would not presume to ask the question to them, let him do his own dirty work.:eek:

Dynamic Entertainment
15-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Yep....he wants it, let him go ask for it.

What did you do BTW?

Excalibur
15-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Runrig 15 minutes into the night? wtf man, unless this was specifically asked for by the bride and groom, I'd tell him to get lost but thats just me.

I'm not sure I'd be quite so tactful. ;) I might be a little more forthright. ;) ;)

Kernow
15-10-2010, 06:43 PM
15 minutes is nowhere near long enough for make-up & continuity to get everyone looking sweaty, dishevelled and bleary-eyed, with several laying unconscious on the floor. :eek: ;)

:D :D :D

CRAZY K
15-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Videographer at a recent wedding asked me to play my last song 15 minutes into the night.He said "I won't be there at the end so it's best to film it now"
He claimed it's relatively common practice(maybe just for him). I've certainly never done it before and had reservations about asking the wedding party to take part in it too.

Have you ever been asked to do this? certainly not common practice for me and a little "flat" compared to the real end of night!!!

I dont recall a lot of Photographers hanging on much past the first hour and certainly never noticed them on the last dance.

Sounds like nonesense to me.

Both the idea and the idea of doing it after 15 minutes.

Runrig after 15 minutes :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
15-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Never heard of it and certainly if it was my wedding I'd tell him where to get off: I wouldn't want anything so false. To my mind, the videographer is there to capture the memories - not create meaningless ones!

JTRS
15-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I've had quite a few wedding photographers who have staged the first dance so they can get away early, I've never seen a 'last dance' photo in a wedding album.

I've always agreed to do it because the bride and groom have been happy to do it, and whilst it does give the photographer the chance to shoot as many pics as they want I always wonder about the background because the rooms were always sparse on guests at the time the photo was taken.

It always seems a bit odd to me that this staged first dance takes place just after I have got set up and only lasts long enough for the required photo's, and then it's business as usual until it's time for the real first dance, by which time the photographer is probably home/out on town.

JTRS

Excalibur
15-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Never heard of it and certainly if it was my wedding I'd tell him where to get off: I wouldn't want anything so false. To my mind, the videographer is there to capture the memories - not create meaningless ones!

Angela, I don't know how to break this to you gently, but sometimes, they edit, splice, and otherwise modify video, so that what you see may not necessarily be cinema verite. :( :(

scoopd
15-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I DID say I wasn't keen at all but if the B+G really wanted to that was fine(well not fine but ok!)
Needless to say it seems a rare ocurrence from what people are saying on here!

simon1969
15-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Thats one Ive never heard of but if I was asked I would say why arn't you staying until the end of the night and go and ask B&G yourself!!! :Censored: head....

Jonathan Ford
15-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I've certainly never heard of it, and unless the B & G asked me to do it, I'd invite the guy to become intimately acquainted with himself.

yourdj
16-10-2010, 12:35 AM
I had a master of ceremony tonight call the bride by the wrong name (her name is QUITA)
he called her sarah and then said you can introduce the first dance I'm going home.

This bloke has been with her all day the first thing he should do is at least remember her name!
The most important part is his departure which should include introducing the couple and doing an amusing speech, not to just go.

What a plonker!

I do not have time for lazy wedding suppliers and I most certainly would not put up with people trying to
rush me or do things when they quite obviously should not be done.
Call me grumpy but Its a wedding and it should be done properly.

As with the videographer - If he wants last dance then he should sit in his car until it happens (at the end)!

scoopd
16-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I was very tempted just to pack up after the last dance 15 mins in!

Shaun
16-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I've never encountered this situation, but if the Bride and Groom OK it then I don't see a problem to be honest. A quick announcement to make the guests aware of what's happening then straight into it.

However, I can't help thinking that the energy levels (and high levels of inebriation) that you usually get at the end of the event will just 'not be there' 15 minutes into the event, so the effect and moment the videographer is trying to capture will be slightly diluted from what it will be at the end of the evening.

scoopd
16-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I've never encountered this situation, but if the Bride and Groom OK it then I don't see a problem to be honest. A quick announcement to make the guests aware of what's happening then straight into it.

However, I can't help thinking that the energy levels (and high levels of inebriation) that you usually get at the end of the event will just 'not be there' 15 minutes into the event, so the effect and moment the videographer is trying to capture will be slightly diluted from what it will be at the end of the evening.

Exactly!

Mark Wild
16-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Understatement of the year for some Weddings up here ! LOL :D

Excalibur
16-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I must apologise for misunderstanding this post totally. I thought the last dance was to be fifteen minutes from the end, not the beginning. In that case we're into the realms of Porcines performing aerobatics,Ursines not living ibn the woods anymore, me espousing active cabs and mirrorballs, or Hades experiencing an exceedingly cold snap. If you get my drift. ;) ;)

DJMaxG
16-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I have read before that some photographers conduct a mock cutting of the cake, which isn't quite as bad.