PDA

View Full Version : Most obscure request of the night

Spirits High
17-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Did a Wedding gig last night and at the end as I was packing away one of the guests came over and asked if I had:

"Mother Hold The Candle Steady While I Shave The Chicken's Leg" :eek: :eek:

Initally I thought he was having me on :D but he said it actullay was a song and originated in Lancashire :confused:

I said no I didn't have it and to be honest even heard of it....He replied "didn't think you would have" and went off on his merry way.

But I was intrigued so done a bit of digging this morning and found there is an actual song by King Crimson with that title bar the word leg being lip :D

Can't find a Youtube clip either.

Please tell me everyone else hasn't heard of it either ;)

Reminisce disco
17-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I think I would have thought he was definitely having me on!

Excalibur
17-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Perhaps a little light shed on it here. Or perhaps more confusion.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=762990

Also a little more here.
http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/MART_MATI.htm
Keep going, it's down there.

OAK TREE, THE (An Crann Darach). AKA and see “Mary Hold the Candle Steady While I Shave the Chicken Lip,” "Na Saighean," “The Northern Lights [2],” “The Old Oak Tree,” “Tommy Peoples’ (Reel) [4].” Irish, Reel. Ireland, County Donegal. D Major ('A' and 'C' parts), B Dorian ('B' part). Standard tuning. AABBCC (Brody): ABBC (Breathnach). A popular reel in County Donegal. Caoimhin Mac Aoidh (1994) lists this as one of the Donegal tunes played with long bowed double stops, reminiscent of piping. A close County Tyrone variation is “The Grand Turk’s March,” while the Scots reel “Miss Montgomery” is quite similar to the version played by Donegal fiddler John Doherty. Sources for notated versions: Boys of the Lough (Ireland/Shetland) [Brody]: fiddler Tommy Peoples, 1968 (Co. Donnegal and Dublin, Ireland) [Breathnach]. Breathnach (CRÉ II), 1976; No. 193, pgs. 100‑101. Brody (Fiddler’s Fakebook), 1983; pg. 204. Bulmer & Sharpley (Music from Ireland), vol. 1, No. 50. CCE CL13, Tommy Peoples. Philo 1026, Boys of the Lough‑ "Live." Shanachie 29003, Tommy Peoples and Paul Brady‑ "The High Part of the Road." Green Linnet SIF 3051, Frankie Gavin - “Frankie Goes to Town.”

Corabar Entertainment
17-10-2010, 12:09 PM
My family are from Donegal... need I say more?

MikeW
17-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Is there a dance version available? :) :)

DeckstarDeluxe
17-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah I play this at most weddings when northerns are there? cant believe you've never heard of it?