PDA

View Full Version : Too cool for party games........age 9!!

MikeW
18-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone.
Just wondering what your thoughts were on this:

I have a booking for a nine year old birthday party coming up soon.
I emailed the girls mum to find out what kind of music the girl was into. I also asked if she would like any party games (positions dances etc).

The mum replied with a list of the girls favourite artists, all the usual stuff, JLS, Cheryle Cole, Lady Gaga etc.

She also replied that she had asked her daughter about party games and "she was not into that at all, sorry".

My question is, would you accept that, and just play the music, or would you still try a couple of games (it may be her friends are up for it)?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Why on earth would you try a couple of games if they had specifically said no? :confused:

Paul The Party Dj
18-10-2010, 11:43 AM
For a kids party I always go armed with a few tubes of glow bracelets, my limbo polls, and some toilet rolls for the Mummy game ... come to think of it I never leave for a gig without all of the above!

The birthday child may think they are "too cool" but having options "just in case" can surely never be a bad thing.

Cheers, Paul ;o)

paulg
18-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Try some games. Her friends won't necessarily be the same as her.

When I face that situation, I let the birthday girl do the DJ work for the games (bumps, chairs etc.). It keeps them engaged even if they don't want to play.

Check it's Ok with mum/dad first. On you mixer, adjust the gains so even if the slider goes all way up, it won't overcook the speakers.

Last comment I had was "thanks for making xxxx's birthday absolutely fantastic - she loved being a DJ"

Charlie Brown
Why on earth would you try a couple of games if they had specifically said no? :confused:

Because at the end of the day she is still young, immature and needs to have fun. Her other mates will be bored!

Don't be patronising, approach it as if it is "cool" and that prizes can be won.

I do % it works if done properly. Play it by ear.

MikeW

I take your point, but I just feel that at that age two hours of just music is a long time to keep them entertained.

DeckstarDeluxe
18-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm with Darren here why on earth would you do some party games when they said she doesn't want any?

discomobiledj
18-10-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm with Darren here why on earth would you do some party games when they said she doesn't want any?

I agree. If they said no games, then no games. They are the client after all.

Vectis
18-10-2010, 11:53 AM
would you accept that, and just play the music, or would you still try a couple of games (it may be her friends are up for it)?

I would do what the customer asked for, irrespective of whether or not I agreed with it (within reason, of course).

One of the most regular complaints levelled at DJs of is the fact that they're often a law unto themselves and play/do whatever they feel like.

I'd keep a few props in the van just in case mum comes over partway through and asks for games after all, but I certainly wouldn't try to force her hand or, worse, go against her original request.

9-year-olds are easily entertained for two hours - especially if as suspected it's mostly girls. Boys at that age will just want to run around and kill each other, stopping briefly (if you're lucky) for a very few well-chosen songs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2010, 11:54 AM
So, if a client specifically said no cheese at a function, you'd go and play loads would you - in case some of the other guests liked it?

andyw
18-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone.

My question is, would you accept that, and just play the music, or would you still try a couple of games (it may be her friends are up for it)?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

i would happily except it and just play music, that is what they have asked for, you could totally ruin the girls birthday party if you decide to play games without them asking you to( how would you feel if you booked a dj and told him not to do something and he decided on the night to do it anyway because he knows best). if you are not happy to do that then don't take the gig.

Charlie Brown
18-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Okay,

Play music for an hour. If it's going well...carry on.

If it's dragging and the kids are bored, speak to the Mum and ask her if you can play a few games. She may speak to her daughter and explain.

Take a few prizes with you just in case.

MikeW
18-10-2010, 12:02 PM
So, if a client specifically said no cheese at a function, you'd go and play loads would you - in case some of the other guests liked it?

Solitaire, My reply before yours came in was going to be that there have been posts on here where at weddings for instance, the client has asked for no cheese and where something like YMCA has been played, it has totaly lifted the night.

The client has asked for no party games, there is no way I would ignore her request, but as some of the posts have suggested, I may just test the temperature of the water, if it is going a bit flat.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2010, 12:07 PM
the client has asked for no cheese and where something like YMCA has been played, it has totaly lifted the night.

So that justifies playing it, does it?

DeckstarDeluxe
18-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Anyone else here not that surprised that a 9 year old girl doesnt want party games??

Charlie Brown
18-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Anyone else here not that surprised that a 9 year old girl doesnt want party games??

No. :confused:

A few months back I did a 10 year olds birthday and they still enjoyed Musical bumps etc.

They get bored after 30 minutes. They'd get restless after 2 hours of constant music.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm not surprised.

Some will want them and some won't. Some kids are more mature at that age.

My son is 10 and I'm not sure he'd really be into party games.

You can't generalise and say 'all' kids would be bored after an hour or two of music.

MikeW
18-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I really don't mind either way. What I want to do is give the girl the best party possible.

It is easier to just play the music, if thats what she wants.

yourdj
18-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree. If they said no games, then no games. They are the client after all.

Yes just play the charts and have an easy evening :confused:
Bubble and smoke with requests should keep them occupied too.

Kids are different these days and the cut off age I have found is much lower.
Girls just want to look cool and show off - and with mobile media, X factor they are happy with chart music IMO.

i only do games for five years old and under as they have the attention span of a newt.
Not sure what the attention span of a next is but i am guessing its not very much?

smoothgrooves
18-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I had a 14th satyrday and she said no to games glow sticks definatly go down a treat

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I had a 14th satyrday and she said no to games glow sticks definatly go down a treat

Yes, but a 14th is slightly different to a 9th! :)

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I had a 14th satyrday Was it in Narnia? :D :D :D :D

MikeW
18-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks very much for all your comments everyone. I have read them all with interest.
I think what I have decided to do is go along with the clients request (no party games).

I will however have glow sticks and also a few prizes on standby just in case either the mother or girl change their minds.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Charlie Brown
18-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Okay,

Play music for an hour. If it's going well...carry on.

If it's dragging and the kids are bored, speak to the Mum and ask her if you can play a few games. She may speak to her daughter and explain.

Take a few prizes with you just in case.

Surely thats win win?

MikeW
18-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Surely thats win win?

I agree Charlie, thanks very much

Nexus
18-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Why not just take limbo poles as a fall back (never failed for me) and the glow sticks are a given anyway.

A friend of mine did a 10 year olds party recently and was told "no party games". The party appeared as flat as a pancake and he thought he'd liven it up with a couple of games. Result = Tearful birthday girl whose 'cool' party had been ruined by the 'uncool' DJ.

MikeW
18-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Why not just take limbo poles as a fall back (never failed for me) and the glow sticks are a given anyway.

A friend of mine did a 10 year olds party recently and was told "no party games". The party appeared as flat as a pancake and he thought he'd liven it up with a couple of games. Result = Tearful birthday girl whose 'cool' party had been ruined by the 'uncool' DJ.

I don't want that to be me :)

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2010, 05:22 PM
We had one recently with "Definitely no games", which a week or two before the party became "Well, I wasn't including limbo in that when I said no games.... I want limbo" and on the night, they all begged to have a game of Arches too.

IMO, there are 'games' and there are 'games', so I think you're doing the right thing in not doing them regardless, but being prepared for a few games that are more suitable for 'grown-up' kids..... just in case. :thumbsup:

MikeW
18-10-2010, 05:26 PM
We had one recently with "Definitely no games", which a week or two before the party became "Well, I wasn't including limbo in that when I said no games.... I want limbo" and on the night, they all begged to have a game of Arches too.

IMO, there are 'games' and there are 'games', so I think you're doing the right thing in not doing them regardless, but being prepared for a few games that are more suitable for 'grown-up' kids..... just in case. :thumbsup:

Thanks Angela. Options and open, spring to mind.

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks Angela. Options and open, spring to mind.
I think that sums it up nicely! ;) :D

Megamix
18-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Keep all your options open - people are fickle!

Gary (GDK)
18-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I have three kids parties they go with the age
4-8
8-11
11+

8 to 11 is more teambuilding skills than musical bumps etc.

yourdj
18-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Keep all your options open - people are fickle!

Bring it all incase and let the mum know that you have the option open and its up to her. :)

8 to 11 is more teambuilding skills than musical bumps etc.

Sounds more like a corporate event :)

ppentertainments
18-10-2010, 07:21 PM
for 9+ karaoke is my favourite tool ;) ;)

If I was asked for no games I would be very wary about doing any. Kids of that age have street cred to think about :D

yourdj
18-10-2010, 07:28 PM
for 9+ karaoke is my favourite tool ;) ;)

If I was asked for no games I would be very wary about doing any. Kids of that age have street cred to think about :D

:agree:

especially the X factor type parties with all the screens and glitter, moving heads etc. :)

Every little girl wants to be a star! This seems to be todays princess.

JTRS
18-10-2010, 07:58 PM
9 / 10 seems to be a funny age for kids, at that age some of them really want games, some of them think it's uncool and really don't want them, and some of them will say that they don't want them (to look cool) when they really do want them.

The trouble is at that age they will get bored of a straight disco after about 90/120 minutes and that's when you run the risk of it falling flat.

I've found that even if they don't want games that doing a few dance contests to Cha Cha slide, Macarena, HoeDown Throwdown, etc works really well.

I'd be tempted to stick to what they have asked for, ie no games, but I'd take a long a few prizes and then if it really does look like it's going to fail I'd have a word with her Mum and suggest doing a few well chosen games to liven it up. And yes Glowsticks/Bracelets are a great idea.

Good luck with it

JTRS

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2010, 08:08 PM
The other thing you could do if the party was a little flat is ask a few quiz type questions about music or whatever and give a few little prizes away.

Mayhem 1
19-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Gentlemen this can be a mine field at times but.............

This very thing happened to me just last night at Caversham.

The older ones came in (School party) and they are aged up to 11yrs old before I started properly they were all gathering in their little "posse" all trying to look and act all cool but after a quick chat with them I just asked them if they wanted a straight dancing party or a fun loud silly party!!!!

Everyone chose the later mainly year 6 and these are 10/11yr olds and they loved it so much so I had a lot of them come up when I was packing up saying that it was the best party ever and it was so much fun.

I think from experience it may be the mum who is saying no games because she thinks it is not cool and not the little girl at all mate.

End of the day, this is my thoughts and experience tells me to go with your own ideas and instincs.

Paul The Party Dj
19-10-2010, 08:30 AM
When I was doing a lot of kids parties I always had a Bits & Pieces competition ready - especially if they were having a break for food. I used to put it in after the food and cake, before we got the second half going. Two teams for the smaller kids with an adult helping or individual sheets for the older kids (over 7). Ten short clips of recent big songs maybe with a couple of TV themes thrown in - maybe one or two slowed down or sped up. It could easily take up ten minutes - play it once - see if they all wanted to hear it again - play it again or not - then do the answers playing it through and stopping it in between each track. Great fun

MikeW
19-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks again everyone, I will let you know how it goes.

Mike.

MikeW
22-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone

After all the feedback and various opinions, I thought I would give you a quick report on how the party went.

There were about 25 children, about 20 girls and 5 boys.

At the start, I again asked the mum what her thoughts were regarding games. She still said really just to play the music as that was what her daughter wanted.

Started with the girls chosen music, pussycat dolls,JLS etc. Gave out some glow bracelets which went down well.

After about 5 or 6 tracks, the girls seemed to be losing enthusiasm slightly. (The boy's seemed to be too cool to dance!).

I decided to offer a prize, didn't even say what it was. It was only then that everyone came onto the dancfloor (including the boys).

I put on the cha cha slide and they were totaly up for it (including the birthday girl).
Also did superman and finished with cotton eye joe (everyone in a circle).

It was a really good afternoon. The mum came along at the end and said, I was right have got them involved with the interaction music.

Although everyone seemed happy with the party, I really think it could have gone a lot better with position dances etc, but I was trying to stick with what was asked for.

Hope all this sounds ok.

Mike.

Charlie Brown
22-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Told ya!

MikeW
22-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Told ya!

My thoughts as well. Someone said just go with your instincts. Should possibly have done that.

StarZSoundS
22-10-2010, 12:27 PM
My thoughts as well. Someone said just go with your instincts. Should possibly have done that.

Mike....

I never kick myself for taking too much with me.....but frequently kick myself if I've left something at home and it would have worked at the party too..

It'll probably send the Forum into meltdown but last year I used the Limbo Poles at a couple of Adult do's as well.It ordepends how you sell it.It is actually a great laugh for the grown ups when they've had a few!!!!:D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Good god Martin, you really do think that you're the only one who uses things like this?????

Limbo has always worked well at parties.

It's only if someone specifically says they don't want that kind of thing that it shouldn't be done.

MikeW
22-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Mike....

I never kick myself for taking too much with me.....but frequently kick myself if I've left something at home and it would have worked at the party too..

It'll probably send the Forum into meltdown but last year I used the Limbo Poles at a couple of Adult do's as well.It ordepends how you sell it.It is actually a great laugh for the grown ups when they've had a few!!!!:D :D :D

Thanks Martin

I did have lot's of options which I could have used, I now wish I had.

StarZSoundS
22-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Good god Martin, you really do think that you're the only one who uses things like this?????

Limbo has always worked well at parties.

It's only if someone specifically says they don't want that kind of thing that it shouldn't be done.

I doubt wether too many on here have used it for Adult Functions...but I may be wrong??Surprised you have actually!!!:eek: :eek:

I'm in the Market for some genuine Carribean Poles....second hand preferably....don't care what I have to pay for the real deal....SO....if your Uncles from Jamaica and has some please let me know!!;) ;)

Charlie Brown
22-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Not really a fair comment.

I've never done the limbo at a a private doo. I doubt many have?

Shaun
22-10-2010, 01:09 PM

I've never done the limbo at a a private doo. I doubt many have?

I have! Not for a long time though, this was mainly back in the days when high levels of interaction were expected from a DJ. Times have changed though (for me anyway).

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I have! Not for a long time though, this was mainly back in the days where high levels of interaction was expected from a DJ. Times have changed though (for me anyway).

Precisely.

MikeW
22-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Shaun, was that such a good reply, you felt you had to post it twice? :D

Corabar Steve
22-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Me too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-10-2010, 01:13 PM

I've never done the limbo at a a private doo.

Because you haven't been DJing long and the days of people wanting an interactive DJ are pretty much over in most places.

What is so unfair about the comment?

StarZSoundS
22-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Because you haven't been DJing long and the days of people wanting an interactive DJ are pretty much over in most places.

Alive and Kicking here....loads of bookings.

Still we're a bit behind the times.....Were having toilets put inside the house next week....luxury!!!!:D :D :D

MikeW
22-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Because you haven't been DJing long and the days of people wanting an interactive DJ are pretty much over in most places.What is so unfair about the comment?

This should possibly be on another thread, but I have been beating myself up over this for a long time. Still can't make up my mind.

StarZSoundS
22-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Charlie....give over!!!

If you're going to start sticking up for me every time someone is unfair you'll have a higher post count than Rab James had:D :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Alive and Kicking here....loads of bookings.

I don't doubt it, but I did say in most places if you'd care to read my post. ;)

Corabar Entertainment
22-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Charlie....give over!!!

If you're going to start sticking up for me every time someone is unfair you'll have a higher post count than Rab James had:D :D :D :D :D
Martin - FFS, don't start!

Shaun
22-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Shaun, was that such a good reply, you felt you had to post it twice? :D

Not sure what happened there?

"I'll merge both posts I say I'll merge both posts."

http://www.weirdspace.dk/LooneyTunes/Graphics/FoghornLeghorn.gif

MikeW
22-10-2010, 01:26 PM
:thumbs_up:

"I'll merge both posts I say I'll merge both posts."

http://www.weirdspace.dk/LooneyTunes/Graphics/FoghornLeghorn.gif

Paul The Party Dj
22-10-2010, 05:17 PM
We always have the limbo poles in the Galaxy - sod's law states if we take them in we never use them, if we leave them outside we have to dash out and grab them. I got a set from e-Bay and tarted them up a bit, they work great.

Glad the gig was a success - I'm sure it was never in doubt!

Cheers, Paul ;o)

yourdj
22-10-2010, 05:26 PM
sod's law states if we take them in we never use them

If you did forget them.

Get joe on the floor and a broom out the cleaning cupboard and bobs your uncle. :)

Do you take tambourines etc. like steve too?

Paul The Party Dj
22-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Tambourine and whistle - old school staples ;o)

milo
27-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I did a 10 YO party today and they had said no games, just disco and maybe some balloons…. The approach I always use is to talk to the kids and ask them what they want (obviously, tell the parents upon booking that you will bring everything and just see what works best on the day).

I ended up doing balloons, blink murder, spin the bottle, bring me a (grown up’s shoe etc), inflatable guitar rock star competition, dance off and the word association game with Pinky Punky (Mallets Mallet).

The last thing you want is the boys fighting at the back and the girls standing around doing nothing at the front, get them going… I do an average of 6-7 kids parties a week and the parents rarely know what the kids will like. Don’t forget they often haven’t met any of the other 30 odd guests before.

Larry B Entertainment
28-02-2011, 07:58 AM

The "few" kids parties I have done were for around the same age group and I never did games because they didnt want them. They are at an age where they want to start acting all grown up and kids games would seem childish to them, as daft as it sounds :o

If the client has said no that leave it at that and just give them a banging playlist :D

supersound
28-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I would not play the games but would introduce party dances,Casper slide ect,If that went down well then I would ask both the Mum and Birthday girl to oblige in Limbo near the end,If they still say no the thats your answer,

Paul