PDA

View Full Version : Songs you play that make you cringe

Javlingames
21-10-2010, 12:29 PM
For me on a mobile gig its candi staton young hearts. I cringe because every dj seems to play it and as soon as i hit play on it i think that the crowd are thinking 'here we go again, the usual mobile fodder'

In the club its mr brightside, every dj plays it. Ive stopped playing it, unless asked.

DeckstarDeluxe
21-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Theres a reason why every dj plays mr brightside in a club and I certainly wont be shying away from playing it until people vote with their feet. Same with any song really.

YMCA is the only one that makes me cringe really and I usually only play that unless requested or that I'm sure its the best tune to play at that moment in time.

Mark Wild
21-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I gotta feeling - Black Eyed Peas, that intro really grates my nerves now !

Charlie Brown
21-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Gap Band.

Javlingames
21-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Theres a reason why every dj plays mr brightside in a club and I certainly wont be shying away from playing it until people vote with their feet. Same with any song really.

YMCA is the only one that makes me cringe really and I usually only play that unless requested or that I'm sure its the best tune to play at that moment in time.

I hear what you say about mr brightside, it does work. Its just a bit predictable, every club plays it.

Shakermaker Promotions
21-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I cringe at a lot of the stuff I play and I know exactly what you mean about the guests thinking "Here we go again". There's 2 ways you can look at it in my opinion. 1 is that we are being paranoid. 2 is that they may well be thinking that but at the end of the day, they are classic tracks, predictable yes but they do their job and that's get people on the dancefloor, enjoying themselves.

I remember a time when I was playing the likes of Mr Brightside at a wedding and only a few people would dance but I liked taking chances. Nowadays it's on almost every request list I get and is played at every function and you know what....I still love it.

DeckstarDeluxe
21-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Thing is we hear these day in day out for weeks on end......

How often are our punters are functions with a dj?

I'm smashing dynamite at yates 3 or 4 times a night at the moment.

yourdj
21-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Gap Band.

:agree: I had someone ask at a masonic ladies night on Sat.

Why would someone choose to sit on the floor for fun is beyond me? Especially in their best tux.
There were four people on the floor and everyone sat down so I blamed it on her.

its that idiot giggling like a girl in it which annoys me too.

Vectis
21-10-2010, 03:16 PM
:Why would someone choose to sit on the floor for fun is beyond me? Especially in their best tux.

Hot tip for 'oops' at posh gigs: Get them to bring chairs :o

Works a treat

yourdj
21-10-2010, 03:21 PM
every club plays it.

What even Pasha :)

Works a treat

Or I will avoid it completely :) good call though

Shakermaker Promotions
21-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Ooohhh, do I have a story about 'Oops upside your head'...probably best not to repeat it on a forum though.

DeckstarDeluxe
21-10-2010, 03:26 PM
What even Pasha

PACHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danno13
21-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Dancing Queen and anything with an action dance.

Megamix
21-10-2010, 04:42 PM
but popular songs are tools of the trade. Unavoidable.

Ecstatic Events
21-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Pasha??? That made me giggle Toby.

I cringe at alot of stuff I play, most music I play is not what I would choose to listen to personally. Candi Staton is NOT something I would cringe at playing. Classic :)

ian8limelight
21-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Works a treat

Agree with that suggestion. It worked very well at the last masonic ladies night I did a month or so ago.

yourdj
21-10-2010, 08:02 PM
PACHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the one :p

Pasha??? That made me giggle Toby.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_P-TDGDcVf8o/TCOQUZmFYAI/AAAAAAAAAls/M3L45PHkCNc/s1600/pacha.jpg

DJWilson
21-10-2010, 08:10 PM
JLS, Justin Bieber and Fugative. Other than that I manage lol.