PDA

View Full Version : Last night`s School disco

Musicman
22-10-2010, 07:14 PM
After many years doing teenage discos and school prom nights we did our first Primary School disco last night. It was a Half Term/Halloween disco.
It was split into 2 sessions both 90 minutes long with around 80 children attending each. The first for 5-8 year olds the second for 9-11 year olds.
With little knowledge of what to play for the 5-8 year olds I read some of the posts that you guys made and found the information invaluable,cheers guys.:beerchug:

Music wise for the younger ones we played the likes of Monster, Thriller, Hey Baby, Witchdoctor and Amarillo and it went really well.
The first session was not without it`s moments though. Toward the end of the session we played Big Fish Little Fish. I asked the children if they knew the song and most of them put their hands up.
We started the song and it became clear that only a handfull knew the moves to the song. Not being a natural children`s entertainer I decided to bite the bullet and go out onto the floor in front of them to show them the moves, which I just about remembered.
To say I was petrified is an understatement. Mr Mayhem may I say that you do not have a rival in me and I salute you for doing what you do.:youdaman:

The second session was much easier. We played Thriller for them early on and threw some smoke into the room which everyone loved,especially the boys.
From then on the songs that we played were all ones that they requested,such as Bonkers, Teenage Dream, Pass Out, Solo, a couple from Lady Gaga and believe it or not Greased Lightning and Wonderwall.:eek:
The best part though was watching some of the boys trying to figure out how to work the smoke machine,we used a remote control from behind the deck so there was no chance of them putting the smoke out themselves.

All in all a good night and one we would do again, albeit without a performance from me though.:)

Mayhem 1
22-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Well done that man!!!

Which school were you at mate?? I was at William Morris last night and it was a blinder!!!

Speak soo for a catch up mate

Musicman
23-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Gary

It was the Grange.

They needed a disco and as the wife works there and the caretaker and his family are good friends of ours they put a word in for us.
Can`t beat good contacts in this game.;)

Hope to catch you soon.

Mayhem 1
24-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Ah The Grange eh mate!!!

Great school buddy and the pupils are so responsive