PDA

View Full Version : A step in the right direction?

Corabar Entertainment
28-10-2010, 02:22 PM
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11635320

LimeWire file-sharing service shut down in US

An injunction issued by the US district court in New York has effectively shut down LimeWire, one of the internet's biggest file-sharing sites.

It ends four years of wrangling between the privately-owned Lime Group and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

The injunction compels Lime Group to disable its searching, downloading, uploading and file trading features.

The firm plans to launch new services that adhere to copyright laws soon.

Visitors to the LimeWire website are confronted with a legal notice that reads: "This is an offical notice that LimeWire is under a court ordered injunction to stop distributing and supporting its file-sharing software."

It adds that "downloading or sharing copyrighted content without authorisation is illegal".

The RIAA told the AP news agency that it was pleased by the judge's decision.

"It will start to unwind the massive piracy machine that LimeWire... used to enrich themselves immensely," said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy.

LimeGroup appeared to acknowledge defeat.

"We are out of the file-sharing business, but you can make it known that other aspects of our business remain ongoing," Lime Group spokeswoman Tiffany Guarnaccia told AP.

The firm is working on developing new software that will adhere to copyright laws.

yourdj
28-10-2010, 02:24 PM
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11635320

Just pirate bay and probably twenty more now

Ecstatic Events
28-10-2010, 02:41 PM
A small step. But a good thing to see happening

Steve the DJ
28-10-2010, 03:33 PM
It will make no difference whatsoever.

DeckstarDeluxe
28-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Aye.

I've been asked a few times where to go now Limewire has shut down.

Paying for music isnt of any interest to some people :(

Megamix
28-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I think its pretty much banded together with littering, illegal parking, using a mobile whilst driving etc etc etc.
Lets face it when we all used to tape off the radio it was illegal but generally accepted - then with the digital age the problem just got bigger.

WWDJ
28-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Where am I going to get all my music from now. I used to love belting out 64kbps MP3 copies taped off Radio 1 complete with clicks and pops. :D :D :D

Seriously though, lots of people have no interest in paying for music which considering that the cost of a single @ 79p is much cheaper than the vinyl or CD age is a bit much really.

Jiggles
28-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Na this wont stop it at all. There will be another one that comes out soon and the process starts again. IMO its unstoppable.

BeerFunk
28-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Obviously it's a positive move, but it's a drop in the ocean really.

simon1969
28-10-2010, 06:17 PM
People are getting prosecuted for illegal downloading though someone I know in the Northeast was fined £500.00 for this traced through the isp address.
Glad Limewire has gone though was one of the most popular ones !!!!

DeckstarDeluxe
28-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Its hard to draw the line somewhere really because you got programs that stream tunes you want on demand.

Quite often I'll sort a playlist out on youtube and leave that playing while doing the housework etc...

I think in regards to DJ's they'll just copy each others hard drives anyways.

vanjarre
28-10-2010, 07:03 PM
LimeWire may be subject to court order but is still active on line at this very minute

Jason
28-10-2010, 09:48 PM
The website may still be up, but it does have
"LEGAL NOTICE
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL NOTICE THAT LIMEWIRE IS UNDER A COURT-ORDERED INJUNCTION TO STOP DISTRIBUTING AND SUPPORTING ITS FILE-SHARING SOFTWARE. DOWNLOADING OR SHARING COPYRIGHTED CONTENT WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION IS ILLEGAL."

I hope they procescute anyone caught sharing illegal files.

but...

That's not going to happen. I use BitTorrent (for downloading Linux distros and other legal uses), but the entire system is a mess.

Most parents would throw a fit if little Johnny came back from Tescos with a nicked copy of Now77..
If the same little Johnny downloads a dodgy copy, most really don't care....

Dynamic Entertainment
28-10-2010, 11:28 PM
The website may still be up, but it does have
"LEGAL NOTICE
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL NOTICE THAT LIMEWIRE IS UNDER A COURT-ORDERED INJUNCTION TO STOP DISTRIBUTING AND SUPPORTING ITS FILE-SHARING SOFTWARE. DOWNLOADING OR SHARING COPYRIGHTED CONTENT WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION IS ILLEGAL."

I hope they procescute anyone caught sharing illegal files.

but...

That's not going to happen. I use BitTorrent (for downloading Linux distros and other legal uses), but the entire system is a mess.

Most parents would throw a fit if little Johnny came back from Tescos with a nicked copy of Now77..
If the same little Johnny downloads a dodgy copy, most really don't care..

Completely agree.

P2P filesharing has its uses. Ive used it with one of my distance learning courses to pass course notes back and forwards between students...im assuming that this was the original development of P2P...but with everything its corruptable.