PDA

View Full Version : prosound 1000 amplifier

gillo
31-07-2006, 08:19 PM
hi bought the prosound 1kw amplifer and the peak light seems to be flashing when the amp gain is on half and mixer is on nearl full i dont no whether this is a fault any advice i fought it would have more head romm than this cheers

A1DL
31-07-2006, 08:23 PM
What do you mean by "mixer is on nearly full"?

Set the mixer to 0db, (in other words stay in the green) - can you keep the gain pots fully open without the amp clipping then?

pagan_flame
31-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Should be the other way around: always run your power amps flat out (turned all the way up) and control the volume level with the mixer / preamp stage - which shouldn't be at 'nearly full' --- should be at around 0db like A1DL sez, no red lights showing anywhere!

(NB I got this info the expensive way by blowing my speakers up!)

gillo
31-07-2006, 08:31 PM
What do you mean by "mixer is on nearly full"?

Set the mixer to 0db, (in other words stay in the green) - can you keep the gain pots fully open without the amp clipping then?

tried that still is flashing peek

Alex - Cream Ents
31-07-2006, 08:35 PM
If the peak light is coming on it means that you are feeding too much power to the speakers. You should always run amps flat out - as mentioned - and control volume from the mixer. Make sure all your channels are set to 0dB and that you've not got red lights blazing on the vdu.

It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the amp / speakers neccesarily, just that perhaps the speakers are not capable of handling the 1k amp.

A1DL
31-07-2006, 08:38 PM
It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the amp / speakers neccesarily, just that perhaps the speakers are not capable of handling the 1k amp.

but that wouldn't make the Peak light on the LED illuminate :confused:

gillo
31-07-2006, 08:39 PM
i have tried disonnecting the speakers and then putting gain on the amp to full and setting mixer still is coming on?

Alex - Cream Ents
31-07-2006, 08:41 PM
It would make the peak light come on if the speakers are sending signal back down the line causing clipping. If the amp is 1K and speakers only have 300W handling for example they would be peaking at less than half volume on the amp.

A1DL
31-07-2006, 08:48 PM
If you've only just bought it, I'd take it back to M****** and ask for a refund.

At the end of the day, a 1,000w amplifier for £200 is very cheap, and you do get what you pay for. I've PAT tested a few of these Prosound amplifiers in the past and their construction does seem rather flimsy.

An old rule of thumb is expect to pay £1 per wrms for a high quality professional power amplifier. The Prosound is a fifth of that. Also, be wary of manufacturers who put "Pro" in their product names. They generally aren't. :omg:

If you do take it back, why not look on Ebay for a good secondhand decent brand amplifier - there are bargains to be had.

Good luck matey :teeth:

Alex - Cream Ents
31-07-2006, 08:50 PM
QSC - quality, and affordability. I had forgot we're talking ProSound, it could quite easily be a problem with the amp. My previous points are still valid however.

gillo
31-07-2006, 08:50 PM
ahhh ya see thats where im screwed as i bought it brand new off ebay for 65 pound oooo well

A1DL
31-07-2006, 09:01 PM
well I think you've just made £135 matey

take it back to McDo, oops I mean M***** on Saturday and some muppet will give you your £200.00 refund :teeth:

gillo
31-07-2006, 09:03 PM
how will that work lol i dont hav a reiept or anything?

A1DL
31-07-2006, 09:15 PM
the comment was made tongue in cheek :teeth:

most pro. noise boys have a dim view of these amplifiers and their manufacturer /retailer :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K
31-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Even the holiday camp isnt that stupid :sad:

Mind you I was in there today (stop laughing at the back) and I spent about £50 ( Complete Disco and Lights for Saturdays gig) and I said why arent you using chip and pin then?

Some problem with the software apparently :sad:

So then the machine that read my credit card took 3p off my card, then took immediately £49-98 afterwards I really got worried and scribbled a note on the slip I signed confirming what had happened--the assistant said--I dont think you can do that :sad:

Dont worry son I said--I just did! :teeth:

Some software problem eh?--I should say so!!!

Give it a go tomorrow--you never know your luck :teeth:

CRAZY K

Candybeatdiscos
31-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Dodgy sods...

gillo
31-07-2006, 10:44 PM
might have to sell amp and buy anotherone :D

Candybeatdiscos
31-07-2006, 10:49 PM
well at least he can make a profit...lol

gillo
31-07-2006, 10:52 PM
well at least he can make a profit...lol

i think i better go down to maplins tomorrown and make some serious bull**** up :D

gillo
31-07-2006, 10:59 PM
it maybe going into peek as my speakers are not run as the speakers were only bought this morning that maybe the reason :D will have to investigate if not back to the sales yard the amp goes:D

Larry B Entertainment
01-08-2006, 10:39 AM
i have tried disonnecting the speakers and then putting gain on the amp to full and setting mixer still is coming on?

No, never power an amp up without the speakers connected, it can damage the amps output stage.

gillo
01-08-2006, 11:22 AM
ok point taken cheers pal

gillo
01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
the thing is no there is no distortion even with the light permananetly on which is very strange