PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Fairs & other suppliers.

Charlie Brown
31-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I really want/need to do a few Wedding fairs at the beginning of next year but feel embarrassed "competing" against other suppliers or the favoured resident Dj.

What do you guys do? They are your competition and in their eyes you're a threat.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. :beer1:

Booche
31-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Will follow this thread as im looking at doing this also :)

Cheers Dave :)

P.s. You have no need to worry Paul ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
31-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I really want/need to do a few Wedding fairs at the beginning of next year but feel embarrassed "competing" against other suppliers or the favoured resident Dj.

What do you guys do? They are your competition and in their eyes you're a threat.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. :beer1:

Depends who it is....

Theres a few local operators who I do quote for jobs they do but I dont mind losing to them as I know they offer a quality service. If its someone I dont know or work with then I dont think twice. Business is business at the end of the day.

Not really understanding the "embarrassed" comment though?

Charlie Brown
31-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Well I would feel inadequate.

When it comes to competing and comparing myself to others my confidence plumets.

mikeee
31-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Well I would feel inadequate.

When it comes to competing and comparing myself to others my confidence plumets.

...and thats where your going wrong, you don't, you sell what you do, and if the likes you and you tick their boxes, you have equal chance of getting the job as anyone else. Actually put a suit and tie and add £50.00 to your price.

yourdj
31-10-2010, 10:27 PM
All the ones i ever did i was the only DJ! They are so easy and its nice to chat/network with other local wedding suppliers.
Just do not do the hard sell but let them go away with a nicly presented sales pack. let them ask questions and listen.
i would not worry every one I have been too has at least five photographers and they all ignore each other.

Let me know if you need any printed materials :) http://www.bogfrog.co.uk/

I assume you still have a load from that wedding bloke.

Charlie Brown
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't actually!

Anyone else? Any tips?

StarZSoundS
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
!

Any tips?

Yep....

Don't get involved with that Wedding Bloke again.;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :) :) :) :)

Charlie Brown
02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Wasn't really the question Martin. :)

ppentertainments
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM

What you need to stop thinking is that you are 'competing'. You are advertising YOUR services. I know you aware now that it is YOU that gains bookings not 'a disco'.

To back peddle a little though, I never do a wedding fayre or advertise with any venue that has a resident (or preferred if you want a different description) DJ, I find this is a total non starter.

simon1969
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
What you need to stop thinking is that you are 'competing'. You are advertising YOUR services. I know you aware now that it is YOU that gains bookings not 'a disco'.

To back peddle a little though, I never do a wedding fayre or advertise with any venue that has a resident (or preferred if you want a different description) DJ, I find this is a total non starter.

How do you find out before the event though that they have preferred dj?

ppentertainments
02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
How do you find out before the event though that they have preferred dj?
Phone the venue and ask.

simon1969
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Phone the venue and ask.

Thanks seems to be a lot messing about for these types of events, venues shouldn't be allowed preferred dj's.

ppentertainments
02-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks seems to be a lot messing about for these types of events, venues shouldn't be allowed preferred dj's.
Unfortunately most venues have a prefered or a residential DJ. I always give the venue a quick ring before any form of advertising with any venue.

If the venue reccomend someone a majority of the brides getting married there are going to use the reccomendation. One venue I used to be reccommended at only had one wedding covered by a DJ other than myself for a whole year.

DazzyD
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
All the ones i ever did i was the only DJ! They are so easy and its nice to chat/network with other local wedding suppliers.
Just do not do the hard sell but let them go away with a nicly presented sales pack. let them ask questions and listen.
i would not worry every one I have been too has at least five photographers and they all ignore each other.

Have to agree with Toby, here.

The majority of wedding fayres I've done, I've been the only wedding DJ there. This was probably due to having a good arrangement with the fayre promotor that this would be the case! ;)

Excalibur
03-11-2010, 04:49 PM

I beg your pardon?!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: It is by far the best arrangement for all concerned. Gives the customer choice. Now as for resident DJ's, and financial penalties for not using the resident DJ................................................ .....

( Before anybody asks, I've been a resident, I've been refused gigs because of there being a resident DJ, I am preferred at a couple of venues, and I know that other firms have worked at them, with no financial penalties. )

ppentertainments
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I beg your pardon?!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: It is by far the best arrangement for all concerned. Gives the customer choice. Now as for resident DJ's,
Realistically though, is there much difference as far as a DJ getting work in that venue is concerned ??

Excalibur
03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Realistically though, is there much difference as far as a DJ getting work in that venue is concerned ??

Well in other cases I can't comment, but at my venues, preferred means exactly what it says. Not resident, obligatory, financially shackled, or other form of monopoly/restrictive practice. Just as it should be.

Shakermaker Promotions
03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I did a wedding fayre last sunday and have just received feedback from both the hotel and the organisers saying that they were very impressed with me.
I'm not blowing my own trumpet but then again, I'm passed caring what a certain few think about me.

Feedback was that I was very easy to talk to and gave lots of information out which was very interesting.

For what it's worth - I had 11 enquiries on the day (5 for 2012 none confirmed and 6 for next year with 4 confirmations already). I also received the Bride & Groom database this afternoon with 29 (minus the 11 details I had already) names on it and I have emailed all of them today.

All I'll say advice wise is just be very imformative and smile. Don't be too pushy and don't worry about anyone else. It doesn't appeal to me going to these things when there are other DJ's there as I am not going to be in a price war and have people playing me off with the others to get the best price. It happened when I did it years ago and I don't intend to do it now.

Gear wise - I had 2 x Monitors with a slideshow I created, 2 speakers on stands and my Denon. My starcloth covered the table and I had 2 Uplighters behind me. Simple but effective.

Charlie Brown
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for that Gary. :)

What does anybody else take? Do you guys have a broacher? Make it yourself?

Excalibur
03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for that Gary. :)

What does anybody else take? Do you guys have a broacher? Make it yourself?

No Charlie, I'm confident enough to make the approach personally, and not rely on anyone else. Whoosh.

ppentertainments
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Well in other cases I can't comment, but at my venues, preferred means exactly what it says. Not resident, obligatory, financially shackled, or other form of monopoly/restrictive practice. Just as it should be.
But also means a significantly reduced chance of gaining work in that venue - hence probably a waste of time attending a wedding fayre at the venue. ;)

Don't get me wrong I have 2 residencies and a number of venues who I am preferred / reccomended supplier and without these I would find things more of a struggle.

Anyway, apologies for going off topic :o

Excalibur
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
But also means a significantly reduced chance of gaining work in that venue - hence probably a waste of time attending a wedding fayre at the venue. ;)

Why? :confused: If a punter sees you, and likes you, they book you. If they don't see you, they book the preferred DJ, or perhaps another DJ they may know. Almost equal chances, I'd say.

Kernow
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
If a punter sees you,

means a significantly reduced chance of gaining work in that venue - )

:p :zip:

ppentertainments
03-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Why? :confused: If a punter sees you, and likes you, they book you. If they don't see you, they book the preferred DJ, or perhaps another DJ they may know. Almost equal chances, I'd say.

But most brides are more likely to go with whoever the venue reccomends - regardless of who they are, if they are at the wedding fair etc.

If you are at a wedding fayre and the reccommended DJ is not, the reccomended DJ still has more of a chance of gaining the booking in my experience.

Excalibur
03-11-2010, 07:41 PM
But most brides are more likely to go with whoever the venue reccomends - regardless of who they are, if they are at the wedding fair etc.

If you are at a wedding fayre and the reccommended DJ is not, the reccomended DJ still has more of a chance of gaining the booking in my experience.
We shall agree to disagree. ( Unless of course, the playing field has a marked slope. ;) ;) :( :( )

abracadabradisco
03-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a wedding fayre booked for next March and will use a monitor speaker underneath the table which will have starcloth around it and a slide projector on top. A screen will be behind the table for the pictures.
At the last wedding fayre I used a large screen monitor with pics from laptop.
I also provide speakers around the venue for background and get a decent reduction on the fee.
I have never had much work from wedding fayres but there is always hope.

I do take a brochure for every bag that is provided to every future bride that registers her details. Cards are always in plentiful for anyone to pick up and after the fayre the organiser forwards all details of brides that left them to all advertisers. There is only one disco per fayre by this organiser thought the venue has a resident disco, smaller and cheaper than I would ever think of working for. Maybe that is why I do not get much work.

ppentertainments
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
We shall agree to disagree. ( Unless of course, the playing field has a marked slope. ;) ;) :( :( )
OK, (Even though I am right) :p :D

Shakermaker Promotions
03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
One of the things I said to people was that if they were booking the venue where the fayre was held on sunday (my residency) then they should deal with me directly even though I was the resident DJ as it would save them money. I also said that whether they booked that venue or any other venue that had a resident DJ, they did not have to go with the resident DJ and not to let venues tell them that they had to either.

It was interesting as lots of people had booked their venues already and had not realised that it was the case and they were very appreciative of the fact that I had told them. I also went out of my way to give them other help and advice and said that if they needed any additional information, to contact me.

Charlie Brown
03-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Do you approach people or do you let them come to you?

Shakermaker Promotions
03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I never approach people. I let them come to me.
I never sit down behind the stand either and always stand up. You can tell whether people are just browsing or actually want information.

At one point on sunday, I had just started talking to a couple when another 4 people joined and started listening. I said hello and asked the first couple if they didn't mind me starting again....they didn't so I spoke to all 3 couples at the same time.

DazzyD
03-11-2010, 10:26 PM

I've a sales background so I'm quite happy to approach potential clients (and let's face it, everyone there is a potential client!).

The trick is recognising which people may be interested in your services. If a couple pass by, take a glance at your stand/display and shake their heads, then it's a non-starter and you'd be wasting your time.

If you see people keep glancing over then that shows they're interested. Not all people are confident enough to approach a total stranger so you need to go to them. Answer their questions, handle any objections they have ("yes but..."), and tell them why they should use your services.

If a potential client comes up to you, this is the easy one. They're obviously interested in what you have to offer. Answer their questions, they are likely to have less objections so objection-handling isn't as big an issue, and sell the service that you offer.

It really is all about confidence. It's about being confident of the service you offer and being confident in yourself. It's not about being cocky (there is a fine line between the two - never cross that line!) or slagging off the competition (always a definite no-no). But simply be yourself and be honest. Don't promise things you don't know 100% that you can deliver.

Wedding fayres are all about promotion and sales. If you are not a confident sales person, then take along someone who is. Find an experienced sales closer and offer them commission on any bookings they get you. Factor this cost in to your prices so you don't lose out. You won't regret it when the bookings start mounting up!

Shakermaker Promotions
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Spot on advice!
I've never been a sales person but the feedback I have had from the people running the fayres, the management and the customers who decided to book me, tells me I am doing it correctly.
You summed it up perfectly and whilst reading your post, I was waiting to read something that I didn't do but everything you said....I do.

Spirits High
04-11-2010, 12:46 AM

Charlie,

I spoke to you a while ago about all things Wedding Fayre and offered you the chance to come and spend a day at a Wedding fayre with me to see how I do it. You said you would but never followed it up.

The trick is recognising which people may be interested in your services. If a couple pass by, take a glance at your stand/display and shake their heads, then it's a non-starter and you'd be wasting your time.

Now on that point I'll have to disagree. I had a couple on Sunday just gone that were adamant that they didn't want a DJ. When I got chatting to them it turns out they had it in their minds that all Wedding discos were just like the Peter Kay sketch, had traffic lights and big light boxes (their words not mine) and would play it really loud and really not what they wanted.

After a little chat with me they said thanks for stopping them and giving them my time although they really didnt want a DJ at their Wedding they may well do now.

It's about educating the client as to what they can have ie: A service exactley how they want it.

So I suppose my point is No client is a dead duck.

DazzyD
04-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Charlie,

I spoke to you a while ago about all things Wedding Fayre and offered you the chance to come and spend a day at a Wedding fayre with me to see how I do it. You said you would but never followed it up.

Now on that point I'll have to disagree. I had a couple on Sunday just gone that were adamant that they didn't want a DJ. When I got chatting to them it turns out they had it in their minds that all Wedding discos were just like the Peter Kay sketch, had traffic lights and big light boxes (their words not mine) and would play it really loud and really not what they wanted.

After a little chat with me they said thanks for stopping them and giving them my time although they really didnt want a DJ at their Wedding they may well do now.

It's about educating the client as to what they can have ie: A service exactley how they want it.

So I suppose my point is No client is a dead duck.

I totally agree with the theory that everyone is a potential client. However, my way of thinking is that this type of client can take a lot of objection-handling and, especially at a wedding fayre where time is limited, I'd rather concentrate on converting the "maybe" group in to bookings. The way I see it is that in the time you have brought the "probably nots" on side, you could have taken three or four bookings from the "maybes" or the "interesteds".

Of course, if it's a small, quieter fayre, then I'd definitely have a crack at converting the "probably nots"!

Shakermaker Promotions
04-11-2010, 07:57 AM
What does do my head in is when you hear comments from people who say "Oh look, there's a DJ" and then the reply from the (usually) Bride is "Oh [insert Groom's name] knows someone who is going to do it".

Charlie Brown
16-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Digging this up again...

...How do you find out about up and coming fairs?

Daryll
16-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Try this Charlie.

http://www.allweddingfayres.co.uk/

Daryll

deltic
16-11-2010, 10:21 AM
google is probably your friend

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=wedding+fairs+nottingham&meta=&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=wedding+fairs+n&gs_rfai=

DazzyD
16-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Or track down some fayre promoters and get yourself on their mailing lists.

The problem with the two links above is that they may already have a full house of suppliers before these ads go out. It's much better to be in there first before it's announced publicly and, perhaps, then too late.