PDA

View Full Version : Online Banking Card Reader

Twinspin
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I have my business banking with Lloyds TSB and they have changed the way you logon to your online banking.

It used to be an User ID and password followed by a encryption process
where you have to put in certain digits of your secret answer.

Now thats all changed.

I had a card reader delivered this morning and its good that the bank is taking the right steps to maximum security.

Ive just had through the door a card reader. rather than the encryption you now have to put your business debit card into your card reader and put in your pin number and it will generate an 8 digit idenfication password which you enter instead of the encryption.

You need to now use the card reader to identify who you are for all transactions even inside the account.

I think its a real good idea personally has anyone else got one through?

Charlie Brown
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I've had my Natwest one for some time!

It's great! I pretend to be a bank clerk when I'm bored. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I've been using one for years.

Dynamic Entertainment
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
HSBC has an identitag system where you press a button on a keyfob and it generates a random set of numbers that you have to input, along with a password and username.

Vectis
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Yawn... how very 80s :D

SecurID has been around since Noah was a nipper.

Anyway.... yes I use one. I also have one for my PayPal account (you can buy them for £3 ... little known badly advertised fact there ;) )

Charlie Brown
01-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Why would you need one for PayPal? :confused:

I might get one though.

Vectis
01-11-2010, 02:16 PM

I might get one though.

Extra security layer.

Password + SecurID code is much more secure than password alone.

This might help:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing_CommandDriven/securitycenter/PayPalSecurityKeyFAQ-outside

Excalibur
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM

I might get one though.

Oh Charlie, this is Vectis you're talking to. ;) ;) ;) I bet Mrs Vectis has to enter a nine digit, alphanumerical password just to use the cooker. ;)

Larry B Entertainment
01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh Charlie, this is Vectis you're talking to. ;) ;) ;) I bet Mrs Vectis has to enter a nine digit, alphanumerical password just to use the cooker. ;)

128 Bit SLL encryption to use the washing machine

Corabar Steve
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Why is this in chat rather than business matters?

Corabar Steve
01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Moved.

Charlie Brown
01-11-2010, 03:18 PM

:lol:

Is this true Martin? :p

Vectis
01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

:lol:

Is this true Martin? :p

Well... not really. But if you've ever tasted Mrs VV's cooking you'd understand why that's a very tempting proposition... :D

Twinspin
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
because i didnt think it was really business matters asking if anyone had got one.

simon1969
01-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I have one with Barclays and a telephone banking code also similar to a pin number which is useful too.

Dynamic Entertainment
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
From a bit of digging, it appears that HSBC is the only bank to opt out of this scheme :(

DazzyD
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
From a bit of digging, it appears that HSBC is the only bank to opt out of this scheme :(

I've never had anything similar mentioned to me by Halifax so HSBC might not be the only one.