PDA

View Full Version : Interesting chat with Yell.com

Corabar Entertainment
01-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Had a call today from Yell.com - the usual.... you all know what I mean.

When I replied saying that it just really wasn't worth it, she said that she was surprised, because other discos get a good response. I said that wasn't my experience, nor was it the experience of the network of DJs that I know.

She replied that they were getting plenty of enquiries in my area... so I pushed further: "Really? How many?"

"5 a month" she proudly replied.

"5 a month! and you think that's good?" says I

"Well, yes considering the amount you charge and you're all part time, you don't need more than that." ( :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: )

After putting her straight on a couple of points with that comment, I then went on to point out that was 5 ENQUIRIES a month - not bookings..... and exactly how many discos were there in the area who were sharing those 5 enquires?

"24" says she

"I rest my case" says I

"Oh" she says "OK, Bye"

"Bye" :teeth: :teeth:

funkymike
01-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Had the same thing with Thomsons local, but I bite the bullet paid a few quid for the ad, one reason I took it out was they said they had a deal with google, and will always appear on the first page of searches, well tried it tonight,not a thing....nothing

Guess that was a waste of money :sad:

Live and learn

Mike

Danno13
01-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Well the woman was completely out of order with her comment. I'd have asked to speak to a supervisor if she'd said that to me..

Corabar Entertainment
01-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Goes back to the public perception of DJs though, doesn't it?

Danno13
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Yes, but its not her place to make judgements about people's businesses, as well as being ****ed rude its hardly a great way to make a sale! I always have these arguments with salespeople who tell me how much work its going to bring me and why its worth paying xxxx for their ad.. at the end of the day only we know our businesses, so its inappropriate for them to make assumtions, especially derogatory ones!

Corabar Entertainment
01-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I agree completely with you - 100% .... but she didn't see it in any way rude - she genuinely thought that! :omg: :omg:

Quite how she thought the figures were good, I do not know.... now let me see 5 enquiries a month between 24 advertised discos (and this is assuming that all 5 actually booked with 1 of the DJs on there); split evenly between them.... that would make and average of 2.5 discos per year per disco! .... and if I remember rightly yell.com charge around £4-500 per advert - yeah, great return on your investment! :omg:

CRAZY K
02-08-2006, 07:51 AM
On average we get about 3 enquiries a day from websites that cost £90 a year to keep on the web.

Apart from inital cost of setting up sites theres no other cost--I booked a small YP Book advert last year ( last time ever) and that has been very poor yet again.

Even the time wasters dont phone up anymore :omg:

Lucky if I get a handful of calls a year from that and one or two bookings.

I think YP/ Yell works if you spend a lot to get high profile--otherwise seems not very effective.

Probably good if your a Builder--- :teeth:

Also of course these sales people have no concept of closing rates--they should do thats what THEY do!

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I think the Yellow Pages is good for some businesses and not others personally, but reps don't seem to understand that concept, usually saying stuff like "x amount of adults use the book on a daily basis" etc

Candybeatdiscos
02-08-2006, 10:04 AM
i took the free basic listing...but nothing yet

dj_ags
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
We've had the same experience as other people in what has been said.

We advertised in Thomson's Local for one year, and it is fair to say what a waste of time and money that was....not even one booking, and we payed a fair amount for a suffice advertisment. I think i will also say that we won't be doing that again :)

Secondly, we have decided to advertise on Yell.com as well as in the Yellow Pages this year. So many DJs have told us that they are receiving quite a few bookings off Yell.com, something that we thought was worth a go. So far, we have received only 5 enquiries from the site.

When my dad asked "Is this normal?" they replied,

"Well you have received over 100 hits this month so far"

Now i admit, that im not the brightest spark on the block, but something tells me that 100 hits into 5 enquiries doesn't quite add up. These enquiries by the way didn't result in confirmed booking, so as yet, we have yet to receive any booking from the internet based service.

Yellow Pages has been a little more consistant in the amout of bookings and enquiries we have received...but nothing to write home about!

Would any of you say that getting a website done would improve our confirmed bookings through Yell.com? This website is still in the pipeline at the moment, as it has been for quite a while.

Comments appreciated as always :)

Have a disco
02-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Have free ad in yellow pages and to date nothing, have recently resorted to printing A4 page poster putting it in a plastic sleeve and stapling to telegraph poles in prime locations in one day of putting up 20 in my area I recieved 1 phone call from a passing person 1 call a day would suit me fine if it equates a booking each time only another 80 pages to staple up LOL

Yell .com aint worth the money infact none of them are unless your at the top on the 1st page in ginormous letters saying BOOK ME

A1DL
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Have free ad in yellow pages and to date nothing, have recently resorted to printing A4 page poster putting it in a plastic sleeve and stapling to telegraph poles in prime locations in one day of putting up 20 in my area I recieved 1 phone call from a passing person 1 call a day would suit me fine if it equates a booking each time only another 80 pages to staple up LOL

laminated posters are better Badger, they last longer against the elements.

Yell .com aint worth the money infact none of them are unless your at the top on the 1st page in ginormous letters saying BOOK ME

we have a National banner with Yell.com £1,500+vat per year, it does generate enquiries/bookings although the response isn't anything to get over excited about

Have a disco
02-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Exactly if you have a GIANT banner you pay silly money I would expect big returns even you aint enthralled at its return in bookings

And as soon as I can afford a laminator I will do that LOL it is a short term measure and has only cost me £10 so far including stapler and staples its about getting down to basics in getting my name seen at a local level

theoloyla
02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
It goes back to what I posted the other day on another thread. Advertizers lie! Every internet site will tell you they come out first on search engines, all car insurance firms are cheaper than their rivals etc etc. They cant all be telling the truth; so dont believe them. I gave up advertizing years ago. The only people who need to are new businesses getting established. Referals is the best way to get work. I have done engagement, wedding, son's 21st and siver wedding all for the same couple and their friends and family all book me. Look after the customers and contacts you have.

Danno13
02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
@Ags..

You can easily tell how many hits your getting from Yell.com to your site by viewing the statistics for your web hosting. Any decent hosting pacakge will be able to show you exacltly where your visitors are coming from.

BeerFunk
02-08-2006, 09:52 PM
You need to watch you don't get fined for fly posting!

I may need to start advertising aswell in the near future. I was thinking about enclosing a well presented flyer/brochure and a few business cards, and posting them to all venues nearby which hire out function suites

dj andy allwood
03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
well everybody knows disco's get more gigs through word of mouth, normally anyway!!

Have a disco
03-08-2006, 02:04 PM
believe there is no law on putting notices on telegraph poles for fly posting but there is for the likes of lamposts or road signs yes it is prosecuteable

dj andy allwood
03-08-2006, 05:02 PM
believe there is no law on putting notices on telegraph poles for fly posting but there is for the likes of lamposts or road signs yes it is prosecuteable

hmmmm thats interesting to know :teeth:

i bet now you dont see a telegraph pole without a dj poster :embarasse