PDA

View Full Version : Music you were sure you had.

Excalibur
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
One of the beauties of being digital is that as long as the tags are correct, you can tell within seconds whether you have a song. Sometimes a second search with different terms/spelling can find the track you sought.

A punter asked me for 99 Red Ballons-Nena, and I was totally confident that I had it. I mean, it's got to be on more than one 80's compilation that I have, hasn't it? No!!! :( :(

No probs, £2.58 for both English and German versions from the trusty 7digital, and a floor full of happy punters. I love being a digital DJ with a laptop and a dongle. :D :D :D :D So fast forward a fortnight, and which song is requested as being very special to the birthday boy and his army mates? You guessed it. :eek: :D :D :D

Now to one which I know I have somewhere as a CD single, but don't appear to have ripped: Children of the night - Nakatomi. . Looks like I'll have to either go dig out the boxes of CD's and search, or spend another 79p.

What did you believe you had, but couldn't find? In the old days of CD's , I'd regularly fail to find a track one week, and stumble across it three or four gigs later. :( :(

STEVE HANLEY
01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
[What did you believe you had, but couldn't find? In the old days of CD's , I'd regularly fail to find a track one week, and stumble across it three or four gigs later.] :( :(

Too many to mention Peter at least one or two a gig and sometimes it was a case of "sorry love we havn't got that one" Only to discover we did have it the following week whilst rumaging the the box looking for something else:Censored: :Censored:

Enough was enough. It was time to make the jump.

simon1969
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Too many to mention Peter at least one or two a gig and sometimes it was a case of "sorry love we havn't got that one" Only to discover we did have it the following week whilst rumaging the the box looking for something else:Censored: :Censored:

Enough was enough. It was time to make the jump.

Personally I don't have that problem as I know my cd collection backwards and forwards and Althzeimers hasn't took a grip yet :lol:
I understand and respect why people use digital but I would rather use it as back up, as a lot more can go wrong with laptops and p.c's.
And I don't like standing behind the deckstand twiddling my thumbs.
As long as you take care of your cd's and replace damaged ones its coolio..

Larry B Entertainment
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I understand and respect why people use digital but I would rather use it as back up, as a lot more can go wrong with laptops and p.c's.

Dont even go there :eek: :D

Ecstatic Events
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Far too many to mention since operation "covert digital" as I'm sure most are aware it's a slow, painstaking process.

Most recently Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On

It was the Birthday Girls favourite song (although not pre requested) I have that track on half a dozen or so cd compilations bit did I have it on a HDD? you've guessed it.

BTW livewire a HD-2500 or similar midi controller is just as hands on as CDs ;)

Megamix
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I know my cd collection backwards and forwards

I have about 5,000 CDs and despite what I expect to find on them, there are still huge gaps of well known songs never released on CD or Greatest Hits which miss out keys songs so they can bring out a new Greatest Hits - e.g. Bon Jovi

operation "covert digital" as I'm sure most are aware it's a slow, painstaking process.

2 years and still filling gaps

Excalibur
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Far too many to mention since operation "covert digital" as I'm sure most are aware it's a slow, painstaking process.

Most recently Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On

It was the Birthday Girls favourite song (although not pre requested) I have that track on half a dozen or so cd compilations bit did I have it on a HDD? you've guessed it.

More so actually. There's a danger of RSI from pounding the enter key, and throat strain from shouting at the deaf :Censored: .

simon1969
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=Ecstatic Events
Eh ?
Go where?

BTW livewire a HD-2500 or similar midi controller is just as hands on as CDs ;)[/QUOTE]

A what ?
Also havn't got the money for such things but thanks for the heads up!!

Excalibur
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM

A what ? Also havn't got the money for such things but thanks for the heads up!!

It looks a lot like a CD player, has the same butttons, but you only feed it once a night, as opposed to every three minutes.

Livewire, Larry is attempting to warn you off making the sweeping statement that PC based systems are prone to crashes. We've had the debate more than once.

Ecstatic Events
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Ha ha, well put with the explanation Excalibur :)

Seriously look into one Livewire. If you prefer using a CD based control unit, it's ideal (Denon HD-2500)

simon1969
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
It looks a lot like a CD player, has the same butttons, but you only feed it once a night, as opposed to every three minutes.

Livewire, Larry is attempting to warn you off making the sweeping statement that PC based systems are prone to crashes. We've had the debate more than once.

Thanks for that i'll look into it for the future, as for p.c crashes it isn't a sweeping statement i have experienced it and seen it on more than one occassion.
May go digital if I could afford an Apple p.c :) / laptop......

Larry B Entertainment
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM

And may do again in the future :o

simon1969
02-11-2010, 04:50 PM
And may do again in the future :o

O.K Larry i'll be careful :sofa: I did say I respected the fact that people use digital though!! :)

DeckstarDeluxe
02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Plenty of times Peter and of course with the ability to download at pretty much any location has saved my bacon more than once.

Last major one I can remember was Queen - Fat bottomed girls.

Excalibur
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Plenty of times Peter and of course with the ability to download at pretty much any location has saved my bacon more than once.Last major one I can remember was Queen - Fat bottomed girls.

Indeed. The thing I simply can't understand is that people have posted on here that they are running as Digital DJ's, but don't take any form of internet access with them. :eek: :confused:

Surely that's the biggest advantage of being digital? I had one ( expensive :cry: ) memorable evening when the punters twigged that if I didn't have a track, I was capable of/willing to download it. I bought some crap that night. :( :( Another interesting one was when I was asked for a track, and 7digital said it was for sale the next day. I told the punter that I thought I might be able to buy it after midnight ( might. I had no great hopes.) but my scepticism was unfounded. I bought it at midnight, and played it at five past twelve.Result: one happy punter, and one happy DJ. :D :D :D

CRAZY K
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Indeed. The thing I simply can't understand is that people have posted on here that they are running as Digital DJ's, but don't take any form of internet access with them. :eek: :confused:

Surely that's the biggest advantage of being digital?

Well if your in a Barn Marquee or out of Internet areas none at all.:confused:

The idea of digital was as I recall easy access, using someone elses Internet legally or illegally to get missing tracks is simply a newer bonus.

If like me you work in a restricted area of music ( Middle of the Road Weddings and Parties) and work off playlists its not been an issue.

I have worked with Corabar Steve recently---he doesnt have one (far as I know)

Mind you hes got most tracks you can think of anyway:D:D :D:D :D :D

Didnt see Scott of SJS with one either.:confused:

I feel a poll coming on here;)

Excalibur
02-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Well if your in a Barn Marquee or out of Internet areas none at all.:confused:
Then get a Dongle with better coverage. ;) Even out here in the boondocks, it's less than one gig in ten where I can't get internet access.

The idea of digital was as I recall easy access, using someone elses Internet legally or illegally to get missing tracks is simply a newer bonus.

Not a bonus in my book, but more an absolute essential, IMHO.

I have worked with Corabar Steve recently---he doesnt have one (far as I know)

Mind you hes got most tracks you can think of anyway:D:D :D:D :D :D

Didnt see Scott of SJS with one either.:confused:
Errrrrrrrr, I wouldn't regard Steve as the stereotypical forum member. ;) He's more than a tad unique.

I feel a poll coming on here;)
A highly probable scenario.

deltic
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Then get a Dongle with better coverage. ;) Even out here in the boondocks, it's less than one gig in ten where I can't get internet access.

yep got a dongle.............. what chance do you think i stand up here:D :D :D

Excalibur
04-11-2010, 01:09 PM

yep got a dongle.............. what chance do you think i stand up here:D :D :D

Could I interest you in the latest portable internet must have accessory for Cumbria?
:whistle:

deltic
04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
now we are talking,does it have a usb socket?

Les Brock
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
It does, but I think you need a seperate power supply......