PDA

View Full Version : possibly a dumb question

Thames Valley Discos
02-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Why do mp3,s ripped from my cd show as not copyrighted, but from other legal sources show as copyrighted?

Larry B Entertainment
02-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Maybe the ripping program you use doesnt enable copyright protection. Windows Media player will add it to ripped files, but it has to be switched on in options. Legal sites always add protection as standard.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Why do mp3,s ripped from my cd show as not copyrighted, but from other legal sources show as copyrighted?

Because up until recently, you're weren't officially allowed to rip your CDs to Mp3, so therefore it was assumed you weren't doing it, and no copyright measures were in place.

For domestic use, this has changed somewhat after the statement of the BPI and the fact that they wouldn't prosecute people doing this for personal use.

Candybeatdiscos
02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
but they will if its for commercial use?...

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
but they will if its for commercial use?...

Until the digital licences arrive, I think they are going to hold their horses, as there isn't currently a viable legal way to do it.

Have a disco
02-08-2006, 10:43 AM
start adding your own security code in the spot where purchased code is put and in a sense you are legal as your making it your property

OH YES

another loophole

Corabar Entertainment
02-08-2006, 10:52 AM
What are you basing that on Badger?

BeerFunk
02-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Not sure if that makes it legal, or makes it 'your own'

Larry B Entertainment
02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I dont fully understand what Badger is saying :sad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I dont fully understand what Badger is saying :sad:

Nothing new there then! :teeth: :teeth:

Have a disco
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Call it security code marking your own back up copies, from your own discs for your own use only making it non shareable. As said by BPI its legal to record copies for yourself, but you would be in the wrong should you share these files to someone else, should you be online it would essentially ID mark your stuff

stop having a dig at me please just because I wrote it in english rather than slang visa versa

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Call it security code marking your own back up copies, from your own discs for your own use only making it non shareable. As said by BPI its legal to record copies for yourself, but you would be in the wrong should you share these files to someone else, should you be online it would essentially ID mark your stuff

stop having a dig at me please just because I wrote it in english rather than slang visa versa

Badger, if you wrote in concise understandable English every time then we wouldn't have the need to say anything.

Please stop and think what you are posting and read it back, instead of rushing to get your post on as soon as possible. :)

BeerFunk
02-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but ultimately - that wouldn't be legally sound. What is though, when it comes to digital music? Technology has moved too fast for our authorities to make law over it.