PDA

View Full Version : Numark DDS / D2 Users - Tips?

Megamix
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
After much debate (maybe Cortex, maybe SD Card Players) and mostly influenced by members here I have splashed out on a Numark DDS as a backup to my laptop.

Should have the DDS Monday - any tips or hints on how to get the best out of it?

So far I've read:

Use a Powered hub
Use a Powered Hard Drive
It takes ages to build the library

Excalibur
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
After much debate (maybe Cortex, maybe SD Card Players) and mostly influenced by members here I have splashed out on a Numark DDS as a backup to my laptop.

Should have the DDS Monday - any tips or hints on how to get the best out of it?

So far I've read:

Use a Powered hub
Use a Powered Hard Drive
It takes ages to build the library

I can help you there. Go for the Normal option in the Librarian software. Other options require you to go on a cruise while it builds the database. :D :D

Some unpowered drives will work with it, but not all. To avoid buying one that doesn't, a powered one is a certain bet.

Powered hub for definite. Belkin preferred. This won't break the bank, but the models offered change a bit quickly. :eek:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=107469

Megamix
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Go for the Normal option in the Librarian software.
Thanks Peter - that’s the sort of thing I was looking for

JDB Entertainment
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a Numark DDS, In all fairness I was going to use it as my main playout however due to the time it takes to load music onto it etc. I use it as a backup facility now.

The main problem I have found is the CD/DVD Drive is unreliable, it is like the laser gets knocked off centre and can cause a CD not to play etc. I have heard it is a common problem.

I connect 2 small USB Sticks to it that have a range of tracks on that I would call my winners and also backup songs should my laptop fail.

The thing it lacks in my opinion is the option to phaze songs etc. The scratch element is "naff" however mine is coupled with a Numark CM200 Mixer so I can use effects from that.

Want any more information on it let me know.

James

Jason
05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I've been using the DDS (DDS80) more or less since it came out.

All the above is good advice. Use a powered HDD.
If you use DJEP/DJI for playlist requests, I have code to read the SQLite3 database into a CSV file for import into their systems.

I do recommend running the full Libraian if possible - just don't do it the day of a gig.
If you do get any last minute requests and download them, you can navigate to the file directly, so the librarian is no essential (but is required for searching)
The librarian also does some magic to help the songs start up quicker. I don't have a problem with slow song loading.

I removed the Drive Tray, so my system is now a DDS without the drive bay, in a slanted mixer case. I've mounted a powered HDD inside the mixer case, and are using a USB extension cable to allow me to plug the Laptop into the drive.
For CDs, I carry a portable CD/MP3 player.

For me, the screen is good (compared to the Denon units sold at the time), its been reliable and easy to use.
I do mix with it, but really just beat matching/looping.

Megamix
05-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys - I only ordered the player (no CD or HD unit).
11,000 tracks in iTunes - a mixture of AAC, MP3 and Apple Lossless (I change my mind a lot!) so I will have a lot of preparation to get this working well.

JDB Entertainment
05-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I removed the Drive Tray, so my system is now a DDS without the drive bay, in a slanted mixer case. I've mounted a powered HDD inside the mixer case, and are using a USB extension cable to allow me to plug the Laptop into the drive.

Interesting.

How are you running the laptop through the DDS?

Does that mean I can plug my laptop into the DDS and run PCDJ through it so the controller acts as the two single decks?

Jason
05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Interesting.

How are you running the laptop through the DDS?

Does that mean I can plug my laptop into the DDS and run PCDJ through it so the controller acts as the two single decks?

No - sorry. I connect the laptop to the HDD (drive) for transferring files and librarian.
The DDS is a USB host, and so cannot be used as a MIDI controller due to physical and electrical (let alone software) restrictions.

Excalibur
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I do recommend running the full Libraian if possible - just don't do it the day of a gig..
The magic phrase is - " If possible".;) I left it overnight doing this, and the :Censored: thing failed. :( :( Vectis recommended using normal, and while it's slower than the Cortex software ( but in all fairness, it does have more info to shift ) it works in minutes, no problem.

If you do get any last minute requests and download them, you can navigate to the file directly, so the librarian is no essential (but is required for searching).
Well yes, but put them on a stick, and run librarian on the stick.

The librarian also does some magic to help the songs start up quicker. I don't have a problem with slow song loading.
Nor do I with my D2. I have however endeavoured to purchase high spec drives with high spin speeds, and large caches. It might not make any difference, but I'm not prepared to compromise the system for a few quid.

Megamix
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I have all my existing songs in iTunes so I guess I need to follow the guidelines on the Numark site and spend some time getting them into the structure they suggest.

I didn’t realise it would be so fussy with file and folder limits etc (and consequently take a lot of my time)- I naively thought I would dump a few thousand into a single file and start searching. Ho hum

Excalibur
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I have all my existing songs in iTunes so I guess I need to follow the guidelines on the Numark site and spend some time getting them into the structure they suggest.
There's the hard way, and there's the Excalibur way.

I didn’t realise it would be so fussy with file and folder limits etc (and consequently take a lot of my time)- I naively thought I would dump a few thousand into a single file and start searching. Ho hum

's wot I did. :o :o :o I simply let them find their own little corners, and it works. I wouldn't recommend it, but it works.

How you actually structure your files, well that's the bit that's up for discussion.

Jason
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM

You need to realise that its an embedded computer, so will have memory restrictions. 10,000 files in a folder will choke Windows on a powerful PC, let alone a low-speed computer.
(I think I've read its Arm9, running embedded Linux)

I don't think much of the Librarian software its single-threaded (so could be much faster on Dual-Core and above PCs), and not that intuitive.
I also guess its not that reliable, although I've never had it crash.

For my ~13,000 tracks, its definitely an overnight job to run the full scan. Normal scan still takes ages (1st iteration), but adding a couple of Albums takes about 20mins.

The system does use an SQLite3 database, and so I'd recommend copying the . librarian folder as a backup "just in case". If the PC does crash, there is a chance of database corruption.
Its not clear if the DDS will repair this, or you'll need to get an SQLite3 based tool.

There are a few missing features - search by BPM range... and multiple libraries, but I doubt these will ever appear.

AndyC
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I brought one of these last christmas and havn't done a complete night with it yet! most i've managed is about half an hour while rebooting the laptop early in the evening, to be honest i'm not sure i like it that much, but i find the tracks load ok and works well when needed, it's a shame that it doesn't retain the cue points after you set them.

Andy

Excalibur
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I brought one of these last christmas and havn't done a complete night with it yet! most i've managed is about half an hour while rebooting the laptop early in the evening, to be honest i'm not sure i like it that much, but i find the tracks load ok and works well when needed, it's a shame that it doesn't retain the cue points after you set them.Andy

Errrr it can do, I believe. ;) With a drive it can write to. ;) Depends what file system you're using. We have had quite a few discussions on this.

Fully fledged bona fide sceptical old gits favour one which can't be written to, and thus is less likely to be corrupted, particularly in the case of an interruption to the power supply.

Megamix
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm spending lonely evenings getting to grips with mine and navigation does seem fairly good to me. I'm being a good boy and reading the manual however
First oddity is BPM on one track is coming up as 'LARGE' instead of a number

Excalibur
08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm spending lonely evenings getting to grips with mine and navigation does seem fairly good to me. I'm being a good boy and reading the manual however
First oddity is BPM on one track is coming up as 'LARGE' instead of a number

Well that's different! :eek: :D :D

PS. Navigation is a doddle on certain other makes of HDC. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
You should find the Numark a breeze, since presumably unlike me, you don't have those instructions hard wired into your grey matter. :( :(

AndyC
09-11-2010, 05:26 AM
I have the drive set up as fat 32 so the dds can perform what ever it does when it writes to the drive, but loaded tracks don't load at the cue point previosly set, perhaps i am missing something

Andy

spin mobile disco
09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Ok im on my mobile so bear with typos etc. Right I have had all current incarnations of the numard unit and can tell you the best tips that will help you.
I would number these but I hate my mobiles keys....

First hard drives if you want to speed everything up go to windows system and find your external drive. Click the box marked improve performance. This activates the drives internal buffer memory. Without it the drive is about half the speed for liniar writes.
This will speed up all drive operations with the downside of if you get a power cut any data being written will be corrupted. This will speed up librarian and copying files to the drive in bulk.

What file system. Ntfs is best for reliabilty as it has redundant safeguards to protect data and is faster for reading from. Downside is you cannot save cue points or crate from numark unit.

Fat is limited on how many files in a folder 500 maximum for the numark according to numark tech support. It can handle more but then it becomes slower.

Folders never use more than one folder depth as this slows the system down. So from route folder any folders should contain your music not in one folder then another inside it etc. I for example use the a b c d system based on artist last name.

Self powered drives. Yes they work I havent found one that doesnt yet but they will require the special two headed usb cable that provides twice the power by using an extra usb portn they cost about three pounds on ebay if needed.

Hub yes can be a good idea especially if you areconcerned about wearing out the usb ports on the unit. They do wear out and a hub is easier to replace than a port. Choose well though as cheap ones can have problems from the psu that can interfear with other electrical devices.

Updating if doing a asmall update go to advqnced and click the update tab and also the check for removed songs tab. This is the fastest way to update. However should not be used to often without rebuilding the drive.

Reason for the above. Well all hard drives ged fragmented and with small files this can be very damaging over time on terms of speed. I rebuild my drives from scratch once a month and it takes three hours all in per drive including formating drive , copy music back to it. And then running librarian. This also means that the drive is checked for errors by your computer as well. So any potential problems can be found earlier.

There is more but typing on a toich screen phone is not easy so hope this helps you all. P.s I have around 85gb of music in each drive.

funkula45
09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
very helpful post,saved me asking any questions,well done for putting so much info using your mobile,would of taken me a week at least :) :)

spin mobile disco
09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah did my fingers in a bit buy hey ho. I have been through 3 d2's and 2 dds80's as well as a few other models and have built up a pretty good idea of how these units like to be treated.
Also worth mentioning that I replace my hard drives regulaly as well. The portable life is hard on these drives and although have never had any problems I prefer to err on the side of caution. My next plan is one of the new ssd hard drives as they are shockproof with a vary good service life. They also never need defraging so may be worth the extra money. Also due to the access speed of these units they should be nearly 4 times faster when updating them.

Megamix
22-11-2010, 10:26 PM
There seems to be references in the Numark itself to deleted files from the library in the drives I put in.
Even with a reformatted drive I'm still getting duplicates - am I missing something?

Jason
22-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi,
are they duplicate tracks (ie a track on Now 77 but also on a Pro Disc/CD Pool)?

The librarian will scan the drive for files and add it to its Database. So.. where are your duplicates?
I have quite a few duplicates, and if I search (F1 on the DDS keyboard), I can easily get 2 or 3 dups from common tracks.

This does not concern me, if you wish to remove duplicate tracks, then this becomes a file management exercise.

Megamix
23-11-2010, 12:20 AM
there are two identically NAMED refrences - when I press info one says file does not exist, the other does exist and loads - I don't really want a list where I'm not sure if it’s a blank file or a real one so I'm trying to see how to rid the system of it. So far I have rebuilt, deleted library etc but its still there.
So to clarify - one file on USB stick - but two references to it - one exists, one false