PDA

View Full Version : 16-bit Vs 24-bit soundcard.

Mark Wild
06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Anyone clued up on the differences between 16bit & 24bit with regards to quality of sound and at which point a difference is heard with regards to the P.A size?

The Hercules DJ Trim 4 & 6 looks really nice (as mentioned by Mr. Lake), I've never come across that before, I use the internal soundcard on the Xponent at the moment but it's only 16bit/48kHz . I'm slightly concerned this isn't going to have the quality I'm going to need for my Christmas residency which will be playing to 800 people a night through a rather large P.A.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-11-2010, 01:37 PM
My mate plays at Digital Newcastle occasionally and went from Serstos SL1 (16bit) to SL3 (24bit) and says the difference wasnt noticable. Digital has a Funktion 1 sound system in too...

spin mobile disco
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
On paper it is almost doube the quality 48hz vs 96hz however I also am unable to tell any real difference. From what I heard from another source the extra bandwidth of the signal is often used by dvd and movie masterers to add extra channels for surround sound etc.
It probably allows better seperation of the signal in frequency banding but unless you are remastering or using a a studio I doubt any real benfit is attained.

DJ James Lake
07-11-2010, 01:01 PM
There is a slight difference you can just about hear, its noticeable on the top and bottom end mostly on a good system. But your music has to be uncompressed to notice the difference.

Jiggles
07-11-2010, 01:11 PM
If you have ripped your CDs in MP3 or WAV then going for 24 bit is pointless as CDs are only ever recorded in 16bit 44.1. So anything above that you wont gain anything from it.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/images/bit-rate.jpg