PDA

View Full Version : Website re-done again!

Tom Lovick
06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

Please comment on my website.

Constructive criticism only please!

My Website (http://www.horizon-events.co.uk)

Enjoy!

Thanks,
Tom

Jiggles
06-11-2010, 07:59 PM
IMO its still a mess. Its just cluttered and all over the place. It feels really cheap and amateurish.

Tom Lovick
06-11-2010, 08:01 PM
IMO its still a mess. Its just cluttered and all over the place. It feels really cheap and amateurish.

Please PM me with how you mean this?

Jiggles
06-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't PM people for things like this. Rather post it on the forum for others to read and gain for it too.

[] The border around the page break it up making it look wrong.
[] The image at the top with the wave form should have "Horizon Events" on it really
[] Every page has a different layout style.
[] I'm not a fan on all black websites.
[] Spews out over 50 HTML errors and 135 CSS errors. Its not a major problem having them but it helps to have them validate to keep with the cross browser compatibly and sometimes SEO!

HTH

Wayno
06-11-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't like it.

Sorry to those that read my previous comment.

Tom Lovick
06-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't like it.

Sorry to those that read my previous comment.

Please expand..

Wayno
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
With regards to your website I think it reflects the service you offer, the site looks home made and not very good.

Websites are your shop window, You reap what you sow so invest some money into it and get a pro job.

discomobiledj
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Until you get your site on a proper server I don't know why you asking for feedback.

I'd take it down and start all over again....with a decent host and not Google.

Jiggles
06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Until you get your site on a proper server I don't know why you asking for feedback.

^ I agree!

Tom Lovick
06-11-2010, 08:46 PM

^ I agree!

Thats a bit harsh!

discomobiledj
06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
You wanted constructive criticism.....

Why don't you just use Wordpress until you know enough to create your own site?

Tom Lovick
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
You wanted constructive criticism.....

Why don't you just use Wordpress until you know enough to create your own site?

If I were to use Wordpress how would I host it etc?

Jiggles
06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Ask for it, get it. If you don't want to hear the truth then why ask us for constructive criticism? I could post one of the sites I have designed and people would find things to pick out on I wouldn't take it personally though.

Alex
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Sorry Tom, but I have to agree with the google site comment I'm afraid.
Google sites are very restrictive in what you can and can't do.

Because they dictate what you can put on the site... and where you can put it... I don't think you'll ever get a professional layout.
I personally think google sites are better for "home pages".
Did you sign up and get your domain via www.gbbo.co.uk ??

If so, I would seriously advise moving to a new server/hosting company. Once you have complete control and access over your site, you'll be able to create something of a higher standard.

As many have said, have a look into using something like WordPress or Joomla.
They are both very very easy to use and quick to learn.
I'm a total Joomla fan... and all my designs are built on it... it's fantastic! but you may find wordpress easier to use... it's each to their own :D

You'll also find add ons and external programs (like DJEP) easier to intergrate.... you'll find you can create some very very classy and fresh & funky designs too with some great tools for your clients.

Sorry to go slightly off topic and I certainly mean no offence, .... just thought I would give you my full 2p worth and try to be helpful :)

discomobiledj
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a few sites hosted by www.citycm.co.uk. They charge £10.99 a year for 250mb hosting along with 10 email accounts and 10 mysql databases. All you need to get you going.

Tom Lovick
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I have signed up to Alex's (alexentertainment) free hosting offer and applied to the GBBO people to transfer my domain over to his servers.

Corabar Steve
07-11-2010, 01:10 AM
It reads like it was written by a child.