PDA

View Full Version : Complaint Procedure

ppentertainments
12-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Following a little 'critisism' last week I have been advised to draw up a complaint procedure to cover my back, just in case, for future.

Has anyone got one they don't mind me looking at or have any tips ?? :beer1:

Charlie Brown
12-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Darren had a cracking thread on this.

ppentertainments
12-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Darren had a cracking thread on this.
Do you mean this one
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22049&highlight=complaint+procedure ???

Charlie Brown
12-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Yup!

ppentertainments
12-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Yup!
Doesn't actually detail what to put in a complaint procedure though ;)

Charlie Brown
12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
What were people complaining about?

Corabar Entertainment
12-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Have to admit, it's one thing that I've been a bit naughty about. Documentation states that a copy of our complaints procedure can be obtained upon request, but I haven't actually done one! :blush:

If anyone ever does request one, I'll need to research/write it pronto!

Maybe this thread will galvanise me if others on here care to share! :angel:

What were people complaining about?
Please don't take Chris' thread off topic before we've actually got ON topic! :lol:

ppentertainments
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Have to admit, it's one thing that I've been a bit naughty about. Documentation states that a copy of our complaints procedure can be obtained upon request, but I haven't actually done one! :blush:

If anyone ever does request one, I'll need to research/write it pronto!

Maybe this thread will galvanise me if others on here care to share! :angel:

Not being negative, but I imagine very very few DJ's have a complaint procedure. It will be simple once knowledge of what to include is obtained.

If this is the case, hopefully this thread will help us gain that knowledge.

Charlie - Bog Off :D :D :D Will take this totally off topic if I did mention the problem.

Charlie Brown
12-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Another thread then?

Personally, I'd like to know what people moan about?

Please. :)

Larry B Entertainment
12-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Another thread then?

Personally, I'd like to know what people moan about?

Please. :)

Bit difficult to sum up in one post. Could be millions of things.

ppentertainments
12-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Bit difficult to sum up in one post. Could be millions of things.
I'm not that bad :eek: :D :D

Sapphire Disco
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't have a complaint procedure I think you leave yourself wide open for backtracking nit picking , best thing is to sort things out as you go along and do your best, if that's not good enough then hard luck.

supersound
13-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't understand why a procedure needs to be in place.
If you are a 1 man band then the buck stops with you and you deal with the complaint or improve the business accordingly,I can understand one been in place for employees.

Paul

DazzyD
13-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Because a customer needs to know they've been treated fairly, their complaint considered properly and that they are not just being fobbed off.

I don't have a set procedure as such (I've never received an official complaint) but I would follow some basic guidelines:

1. Acknowledge receipt of the complaint in writing
2. Request, in writing, any information needed to help me make a decision on the complaint
3. Once all info is received, compare it with my recollection of events (if appropriate), compare it with info from the contract and make a decision on whether the complaint is valid
4. Inform the customer, in writing, of the outcome (remembering that the customer is not always right and not all complaints are valid) and giving the reasons for my decision.
5. If the complaint is valid, decide on damage-limitation/offer of compensation, etc.

It's actually now in my T&Cs that if a client has any complaints on the night then the first point of contact is the DJ who will try to resolve the issues. If a client has any issues that he hasn't informed the DJ, then it would be less likely for me to validate any complaints received later.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Because a customer needs to know they've been treated fairly, their complaint considered properly and that they are not just being fobbed off.

Exactly.

It's all about giving the client a chance to tell you what the problem is and being professional about it.

This is what I use. Feel free to use and amend where necessary.

I am very sorry that you are not satisfied with the service provided by our company on (insert date here).

It is extremely rare that our clients have any problem with our service, but so that we can properly consider any complaint we have a procedure in place.

In order to start this process, please send a letter to us giving full details of the circumstances and nature of your complaint.

Upon receipt of your letter we will send you an acknowledgment immediately.

We will investigate the details of your complaint in full and advise you in writing of our considered response not more than 10 working days from the date of receipt.

Please be assured that, as a service-based company, customer satisfaction is always our priority and we take all customer comments seriously.

I look forward to hearing from you and having the chance to provide a solution which is to our mutual satisfaction.

I had a complaint last year which was totally unjustified, but I had to allow the client the chance to put his complaint forward. I sent him a letter outlining the procedure and heard nothing from him.

I wouldn't have a complaint procedure I think you leave yourself wide open for backtracking nit picking , best thing is to sort things out as you go along and do your best, if that's not good enough then hard luck.

I really don't think that's a great attitude Paul.

simon1969
13-11-2010, 09:28 AM
No need for a complaints procedure if your a small outfit, however if it was a bigger company I would consider it.
As someone mentioned before you are leaving yourself open to critiscm.
If you really wanted to you could have a small section for this on the feedback form.
Then if they did have problems about something you could call them back and discuss it.
If you are going to put one together keep it simple and short.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-11-2010, 09:31 AM
No need for a complaints procedure if your a small outfit, however if it was a bigger company I would consider it.

What difference does it make? A complaint is a complaint.

This is all about best practise again and using professional procedures.

Also, if you take a complaint over the phone, things can get over emotional and heated.

When people write to you they are a lot more control of their emotions and measured.

supersound
13-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Right I see,the reason for the procedure is to document and collate both sides in written form in case it gets nasty and goes to court,

I understand that now,thanks for the cleerup.
Fortunately I havent been in that situation(and hopefully wont be) But I can see how it could clear things up quickly.

Thanks for the explanations.

Paul

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Right I see,the reason for the procedure is to document and collate both sides in written form in case it gets nasty and goes to court,

I understand that now,thanks for the cleerup.
Fortunately I havent been in that situation(and hopefully wont be) But I can see how it could clear things up quickly.

Thanks for the explanations.

Paul

And also, it makes people think twice whose complaint is not justified and they are maybe after a few quid back. If you have the procedure in place, they may not bother as in their heart of hearts, they know their complaint is not justified.

wensleydale
13-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Dont think it makes a difference whether you are big or small.

One of the points I use to sell my business is that I will always try to ensure complete satisfaction and the text that Darren used shows that you have tried to consider all options.

Things like this are one of the many reasons I think you can justify a premium price for a premium service.

paulg
14-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Any worthwhile complaints procedure would require and an 'independent' third party. For example, in a larger business a complaint about an individual would be dealt with by their manager, a complaint about a department would be handled in another department and so on. If a complaint remianed unresolved then it go to arbitration via an Ombudsman or trade body. Usually, this is to meet a box ticking exercise (customer care, iso 9000 etc).

It's simply not necessary for a small business to have a complaints procedure. My local chippy hasn't got a complaints procedure, nor has the newsagent next door infact, very few small business have. So we do we need one. I think not.

Sapphire Disco
14-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Any worthwhile complaints procedure would require and an 'independent' third party. For example, in a larger business a complaint about an individual would be dealt with by their manager, a complaint about a department would be handled in another department and so on. If a complaint remianed unresolved then it go to arbitration via an Ombudsman or trade body. Usually, this is to meet a box ticking exercise (customer care, iso 9000 etc).

It's simply not necessary for a small business to have a complaints procedure. My local chippy hasn't got a complaints procedure, nor has the newsagent next door infact, very few small business have. So we do we need one. I think not.

:claphands: :approve:

ppentertainments
14-11-2010, 01:17 PM
The question in the OP was not 'do you think I need a complaints procedure'.

I have taken advice from a legal professional who advised me that having a complaint procedure in place could help with any complaints I have.

Drawing up a complaints procedure will not take long and can be stored on the computer SHOULD it ever be needed. One point she did make was that, although highly unlikely, it is possible for a bride to complain many months or even years after an event. If a complaints procedure is in place a route can be followed for any complaint and even a timescale stated of how long you, or your company, will look in to complaints. It makes it even less unlikely that anyone will complain.

Now in the real world it is highly unlikely anyone would take matters further is you supplied a disco for a couple of hundred pounds and was rubbish. However, if you are supplying 'all day services' at say a £30k wedding - ceremony music, uplighting, pa hire etc etc and the bride thought you did not fulfil your contract there is nothing stopping them taking action to recompense the expenses of the full day - which in their eyes you have ruined.

Apart from this, there is the business image aspect. I undertake a lot of corporate bookings who often 'love paperwork'. This is one small addition to that paperwork.

I would like to thank those who have constuctively commented - Daz, you letter looks very well worded, many thanks for sharing.

If you feel that this is not needed for your business fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions, however I think this is something I need so therefore WILL produce a complaint procedure.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Things like this are one of the many reasons I think you can justify a premium price for a premium service.

I don't think any more needs to be said.

STEVE HANLEY
14-11-2010, 03:43 PM
[if you are supplying 'all day services' at say a £30k wedding]

Next time you get one of those in Chris. Let me know if you need a hand :D :D