PDA

View Full Version : Customers leaving it late!

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Last night I had 3 phone calls for late bookings, one for this saturday which wanted a Disco at a ridiculously low price and 2 for the same date which is next saturday. This is on top of the enquiry that I had which I have posted in the Jobs Offered section which is a corporate function.

Why do people leave it so late?

Last year, a week before christmas...I had 4 enquiries for christmas eve and if I remember correctly, 2 days before NYE, I had 2 enquiries for NYE itself.

Has anyone else had this or is anyone else experiencing this too?

It's typical because every enquiry I have had which is a late one, I have already had a booking for.

Saying that though...I have read on here that some people have had December gigs cancelled or it's quiet for them etc etc... December is looking pretty good for me (not as mad as last year though) but yesterday my hotel residency called and gave me another 2 midweek christmas parties which had also come in late. That means I now have 16 to do for the hotel which is encouraging.

So, another question.... Is anyone else that has a residency finding that the residency is also getting late bookings in too?

STEVE HANLEY
18-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Last night I had 3 phone calls for late bookings, one for this saturday which wanted a Disco at a ridiculously low price and 2 for the same date which is next saturday. This is on top of the enquiry that I had which I have posted in the Jobs Offered section which is a corporate function.

Why do people leave it so late?

Last year, a week before christmas...I had 4 enquiries for christmas eve and if I remember correctly, 2 days before NYE, I had 2 enquiries for NYE itself.

Has anyone else had this or is anyone else experiencing this too?

It's typical because every enquiry I have had which is a late one, I have already had a booking for.

Saying that though...I have read on here that some people have had December gigs cancelled or it's quiet for them etc etc... December is looking pretty good for me (not as mad as last year though) but yesterday my hotel residency called and gave me another 2 midweek christmas parties which had also come in late. That means I now have 16 to do for the hotel which is encouraging.

So, another question.... Is anyone else that has a residency finding that the residency is also getting late bookings in too?

Picked up 2 yesterday. One for next weekend and one for the weekend after.
Pleased for I have something in now for every weekend up until xmas. Apart from this weekend which is empty. Unless I want to go out for £100.00.

Err Don't think I'll bother thanks

yourdj
18-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Im still not booked for christmas or NYE.

I am pretty sure I will get a last min booking. If not then I am partying for once.

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Why aren't you booked Toby?
Have you not had any enquiries for those dates?

I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that every year I do the same place.

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 08:41 AM

I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that every year I do the same place.

I wish I wasn't!

I know that sounds daft but I always take a booking then wish I hadn't & would rather be with mates!

djdave01
18-11-2010, 08:47 AM
ive had several enquirys in the last few weeks for weekend December dates, but i find that happens every year. Im fully booked so just pass on other DJ's numbers

ive not a single enquiry for NYE though, kind of hoping i dont, ive worked the last 8 so fancy one off.

soundtracker
18-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I wish I wasn't!

I know that sounds daft but I always take a booking then wish I hadn't & would rather be with mates!

Speak to your careers adviser, I think you may be in the wrong job!!

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Speak to your careers adviser, I think you may be in the wrong job!!

Why?

I was referring to NYE. :)

soundtracker
18-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Why?

I was referring to NYE. :)

Mates having fun whilst you are working is just par for the course for DJs

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Very true. :o

What's with all this "par" thing?

I've seen it evolve over the past 24 hours. :lol:

What does it mean?

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 09:31 AM
This is another case of part timers etc...

No offence Charlie but you live at home and from what you have said in the past, don't you have another job aswell? If that's the case then that's why you can afford to have the night off and be out with your mates.

I can't!

I get sick of people (general public, mates etc) saying "Ooh, I bet this is the busiest time of the year for you"...when it's been busy all year round. Last year, the middle of the year was good-ish but the beginning of November and right through December was awesome (as it should be). This year, from 2nd January (the first wedding I did), has been absolutely mad and now November isn't as busy as it has been in the past and December, although busy, is down payment wise because the new contract pays less for christmas parties...but saying that, it's an hour less, nicer staff and better deals etc.

Charlie, I think you have it good with the situation you are in. If you don't want to do NYE...then the simple thing is don't do it.

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Just realised that the first sentence in my last post may come across the wrong way - It wasn't meant to.

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Charlie, I think you have it good with the situation you are in. If you don't want to do NYE...then the simple thing is don't do it.

You're probably right.

I just hate turning gigs down but I know at 12.00am, when I'm on my tod with Masons, I'll be thinking "ohhh wonder what they are doing now."

I bet, like Christmas, as you get older it's not as exciting and interesting.

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 10:00 AM
You're right. I can totally understand the DJ's that have small kids that may want to spend the evening with them etc but I don't have any at the moment so I want to be out. I spend christmas day with the missus, visit the family etc and then I'm back out on Boxing Day and NYE.

yourdj
18-11-2010, 11:09 AM

:confused:

Main reason is i mainly advertise myself for weddings and the pricing: http://www.yourdj.co.uk/christmas.html

I have one for Balmer which i gave to the DJ who covers the venue as i had another one which pulled
out at New Place for NYE which has left me with nothing. :mad: I cant do the Balmer gig as I have promised him that.

I might go and watch someone else doing the hard work for once :p

i was supposed to be in Poland over Christmas but that has changed so I am available now :)
The rest of Dec is OK for weekends. Have a couple the week before NYE too.

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Looking at your pricing for Christmas Eve and NYE, well...personally I think it's a tad pricey but hey! this thread is NOT about pricing so let's not turn it into one.

As for the Balmer gig...well, if it were me I would tell the DJ that I needed to do it as mine was cancelled and pay him something for his trouble. There is still time for him to get another gig but then again, I don't know how you work.

That's just my thoughts and I don't know the score either. Did you get him the gig? You say he covers the venue but I thought you did? If you got him the gig then that's what I'd do. Is he a full-timer? etc etc

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I think Xmas eve is over priced TBH.

I wonder how many people have gigs then? :shrug:

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Not me, but then generally they are in pubs and social clubs which I don't normally do.

Excalibur
18-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Very true. :o

What's with all this "par" thing?
I've seen it evolve over the past 24 hours. :lol:

What does it mean?

Not a golfer evidently then Charlie? Par is the score which you woud be expected to achieve if you were bang on the average, so par for the course means exactly what you'd expect.

Not me, but then generally they are in pubs and social clubs which I don't normally do.

More for the rest of us then. :D :D :D :D :D

yourdj
18-11-2010, 11:47 AM
As for the Balmer gig...well, if it were me I would tell the DJ that I needed to do it as mine was cancelled and pay him something for his trouble. There is still time for him to get another gig but then again, I don't know how you work.

Na, i promised it to him so a deals a deal. He covers all the events there as I am always at other places. Would not be good business to boot him out of the best paid gig of the year. I am pretty sure i will be booked. I had people last year calling me days before hand.

£200 more I recon for being idiots and booking late. :p

BYW I am reducing the prices for xmas eve as it is a bit steep IMO. cheers Charlie. :)

TONYTIGER
18-11-2010, 11:49 AM

I have Charlie a wedding 1am finish and i get a hour off as there,s a drag act ,i cant wait :eek:

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I do 3 nights at my local for one fixed price (xmas eve, boxing day and nye) which is good for me and also for them. They give me work all year round so I do them at decent prices.

Toby - Yes, a deal is a deal and all that and I totally agree BUT, you have to look after number 1 in my opinion. If you don't need to work then it's fine but if you do and you take the chance that you may get work (which you more than likely will) then I think that's wrong.

If I had someone covering a job for me and my own gig got cancelled then I personally would have to change things about.

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I have Charlie a wedding 1am finish and i get a hour off as there,s a drag act ,i cant wait :eek:

Wow!

That's interesting. I wonder whether Families etc will see the night through or retire early?

Corabar Entertainment
18-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow!

That's interesting. I wonder whether Families etc will see the night through or retire early?
It's only little kids who go to bed early on Christmas Eve to make sure that Santa can visit, Charlie! :p

:lol:

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 12:27 PM
It's only little kids who go to bed early on Christmas Eve to make sure that Santa can visit, Charlie! :p

Very true.

Do Steve and yourself leave a carrot stick and mince pie on the fire place? :sj:

supersound
18-11-2010, 12:51 PM
well thers a small par........(36) and large par............(64)

DazzyD
18-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Toby's Christmas Eve prices are realistic. Mind you, it would take more than that to get me out on the night. That's the time I spend with the kids and there'd have to be an exceptional reason for me to miss that.

Actually, thinking about, I still wouldn't miss Christmas Eve with the kids for any amount of money. They grow up too quick and these opportunities for quality time will soon be a thing of the past.

Charlie Brown
18-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually, thinking about, I still wouldn't miss Christmas Eve with the kids for any amount of money. They grow up too quick and these opportunities for quality time will soon be a thing of the past.

Couldn't agree more.

I can still remember when I was five, Christmas shopping with Mum & Dad on Xmas eve. I remember lying there at 9.00pm (having put the mince pie out etc) and I just couldn't sleep.

Mum came in and told me to just listen and close my eyes. "Can you hear the bells? The jingles Charlie? Listen!"

*cue Dad outside my bedroom door with some jinglers. (I didn't know that at the time)

Ahh, it was all so magical and exciting. :o :o :)

soundtracker
18-11-2010, 01:43 PM
"Can you hear the bells? The jingles Charlie? Listen!"

"The Buffet is now open" "Last orders at the bar!"

Simply magical!!!:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I can still remember when I was sixteen, Christmas shopping with Mum & Dad on Xmas eve. I remember lying there at 9.00pm (having put the mince pie out etc) and I just couldn't sleep.

Mum came in and told me to just listen and close my eyes. "Can you hear the bells? The jingles Charlie? Listen!"

*cue Dad outside my bedroom door with some jinglers. (I didn't know that at the time)

Ahh, it was all so magical and exciting. :o :o :)

:eek: :D

Shakermaker Promotions
18-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Ahem....anyway, back on topic!

I've just had a call (woke me up actually as I fell asleep this afternoon, this time of year etc always does it to me)...anyway, as I said...I've just had a call for a wedding in December.

Ok, Christmas Parties etc...yes, leaving them late is a bit of a gamble but this year seems quiet so others are saying so maybe not so much of a gamble but a wedding!!!!??? Surely this is a gamble with it being (supposedly) the busiest time of the year!?

TONYTIGER
18-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Wow!

Depends if Santa gets his kit off:D

abracadabradisco
18-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I have had 3 enquiries for Sat 4th and 4 enquiries for Sat 11th December during yesterday and today. And today isn't over yet.
People really are leaving it late this year.

CRAZY K
18-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Ahem....anyway, back on topic!

I've just had a call (woke me up actually as I fell asleep this afternoon, this time of year etc always does it to me)...anyway, as I said...I've just had a call for a wedding in December.

Ok, Christmas Parties etc...yes, leaving them late is a bit of a gamble but this year seems quiet so others are saying so maybe not so much of a gamble but a wedding!!!!??? Surely this is a gamble with it being (supposedly) the busiest time of the year!?

They could always hire an ipod:D :D :D

Had another one today-- OW MUCH IS IT?

Bit of a trend at the moment.

Clunk--thats me putting down the phone again.