PDA

View Full Version : Charge for NYE & Christmas eve?

yourdj
19-11-2010, 11:09 AM
What do you charge for NYE & Christmas eve?

Just add what you charge and where you operate :)
If your booked what is the venue and function.

For example: NYE - £5,000, London, Buckinham Palace.

Just interested. :)

Charlie Brown
19-11-2010, 11:10 AM
NYE - Nottingham, Masonic Party, £500

Shakermaker Promotions
19-11-2010, 11:18 AM
If I wasn't at my local then I would do time and a half for Xmas Eve and double time for NYE.

yourdj
19-11-2010, 11:22 AM
If I wasn't at my local then I would do time and a half for Xmas Eve and double time for NYE.

Which would be :confused:

Just asking as I had three calls yesterday following what I said on your other post. Power of the mind I recon :daft:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Oh good, another thread about pricing....

Charlie Brown
19-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh good, another thread about pricing....

:lol:

You're right actually and this has been covered?

Shakermaker Promotions
19-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Toby, I don't talk about my pricing, hence why I didn't mention figures.

Larry B Entertainment
19-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Yeah Toby, you should no better than to ask Shakermaker about his prices :Naughty: :D

Charlie Brown
19-11-2010, 01:13 PM

I wonder why that is? Any particular reason Gary?

Not having a dig - just wondered. :)

Shakermaker Promotions
19-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I just don't...simple as that.
You'll also find that there are a number of people on here that also don't mention prices.

yourdj
19-11-2010, 01:35 PM
You'll also find that there are a number of people on here that also don't mention prices.

Why are you posting on a pricing thread then :confused: :)

soundtracker
19-11-2010, 01:36 PM

perhaps because its totally irrelevant to anyone else?

Shaun
19-11-2010, 01:40 PM
perhaps because its totally irrelevant to anyone else?

Precisely!

Megamix
19-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I think the unwritten rule is double (like Taxis) - but I'm sure theres some who charge the same and others triple.

yourdj
19-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Precisely!

I was going to do a little bar graph on it and find the average:

http://www.bytefusion.com/products/ens/secexmail/mad_scientist_thinking_equation_hr.jpg

Just interested thats all.

abracadabradisco
19-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I've quoted £500 4 times and not got a booking yet for NYE. Many hotels have resident discos or are with agencies this way. In fact I was talking to a mate the other day who worked Christmas gigs at a large hotel for the last 5 years through an agent. My mate has retired and the agency boss is doing a lot of the Christmas gigs at the hotel himself as he is a dj even though he has lots of artists working through him for the Christmas period. I didn't think he was that hard up.

DJ James Lake
19-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I have just taken a £500 NYE gig for our smallest setup

Shakermaker Promotions
19-11-2010, 03:23 PM
In the nicest possible way Toby, it's no'ones business but mine and my customers.
I said...I would charge time and a half on Xmas Eve and double on NYE so that's why I was commenting on (yet another) pricing thread!

welby
19-11-2010, 04:07 PM
£500 + Free Beer + Food for me and the other half...Private Function at Public House - all tickets - Repeat Business.:party2:

thex-faders
19-11-2010, 05:08 PM
£300 for a small italian restaurant + free meal & drinks. And if it's a good night promise of further promotions at the restaurant in 2011. Very local and all the people there will be our target market so excellent chance to promote and get our details out there.
Happy new year!
Tom

mikeee
20-11-2010, 08:27 AM
The unwritten, but generally accepted rule accross the entertainment industry is:-
Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, NY Day and bank holiday Mondays - twice your normal fee
NYE - three times your normal fee
Valentines, bank holiday Saturdays etc - one and a half times your normal fee

abracadabradisco
20-11-2010, 08:45 AM
It certainly is unwritten. I have quoted less than double for NYE 4 times and each time they booked someone cheaper.
Never mind, I could stay home and watch Jules Hollands Hootananny.

Candybeatdiscos
20-11-2010, 08:50 AM
fiver if its during the day a tenner if its at night :D

supersound
20-11-2010, 09:10 AM
In the nicest possible way Toby, it's no'ones business but mine and my customers.
I said...I would charge time and a half on Xmas Eve and double on NYE so that's why I was commenting on (yet another) pricing thread!

So why answer the thread in the first place?
Others who don't wish to discuss price have held their piece.

For the record I have quoted £400 to many and been rejected.

Paul

StarZSoundS
20-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I've promised Christmas Eve,Boxing Day(Monday) and NYE to my residency where I store my gear all year round!!!

We haven't got round to discussing price yet....I feel compelled not to stitch them because we work together!!!

yourdj
20-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I would charge time and a half on Xmas Eve and double on NYE

god that outs me in at £1,600 :p Don't think I will have any takers.

so about £550-£600 normally, excluding this year ;)

£500

£500 NYE gig

£500

£300

£400

So about £500.

Im now charging £585 which I have done for a few years.
I might put it up and include some optional extras :)

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/christmas.html

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2010, 11:34 AM
The unwritten, but generally accepted rule accross the entertainment industry is:-

Are you on another planet? I have never heard that and certainly never charged that! :lol:

Shaun
20-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Are you on another planet? I have never heard that and certainly never charged that! :lol:

As a rule I don't do NYE, but have been providing quotes this year at......wait for it.....yep, THREE times my normal fee. :D

Not surprisingly there haven't been any takers, which I'm thankful for. If any do bite then it'll be worth changing my plans for.

However....in the past I've always quoted double my regular fee, which I always presumed to be the norm.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2010, 11:40 AM
As a rule I don't do NYE, but have been providing quotes this year at......wait for it.....yep, THREE times my normal fee. :D

Not surprisingly there haven't been any takers, which I'm thankful for. If any do bite then it'll be worth changing my plans for.

That may be so, but I have never heard of the 'unwritten rule' before and you are the first person that I've known that's ever said that they quote 3x for NYE!

Shaun
20-11-2010, 11:44 AM
We haven't got round to discussing price yet....I feel compelled not to stitch them because we work together!!!

Why would charging a premium rate for a premium date be "stitching them up"?

That may be so, but I have never heard of the 'unwritten rule' before and you are the first person that I've known that's ever said that they quote 3x for NYE!

This year is the exception for me, I've never heard of that unwritten rule either. Any other time I've quoted for NYE it's always been at double rate.

Mark Wild
20-11-2010, 11:46 AM
We're mobile DJ's we should be ready and expect to work on one of the biggest party nights of the year, without tripling our fee, I think that's just greedy.

My fiance is a staff nurse in ECU, she gets time and a half. Food for thought.

I charge £350 for NYE + 5 free tickets to the event and free drinks.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2010, 11:50 AM
We're mobile DJ's we should be ready and expect to work on one of the biggest party nights of the year, without tripling our fee, I think that's just greedy.

I disagree.

How much do florists put their prices up for Valentines day?

How much more do taxi drivers charge for NYE and even after 12 midnight?!!

I don't charge triple or but I do charge more than I would normally. Try asking one of my guys to go out for normal wages on NYE!

Mark Wild
20-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I disagree.

How much do florists put their prices up for Valentines day?

How much more do taxi drivers charge for NYE and even after 12 midnight?!!

I don't charge triple or but I do charge more than I would normally. Try asking one of my guys to go out for normal wages on NYE!

I'm not saying the price shouldn't fluctuate somewhat, just that tripling the price is ridiculous.

Shaun
20-11-2010, 11:53 AM

It's nothing to do with being greedy, and I resent that comment. I made a decision a long time ago not to do NYE, it's family and friends time for me. I'm 'retired' as far as NYE is concerned. If they don't want to pay my fee then that's fine, there'll be plenty of others that are willing to DJ for them on that night. I will work that night, but tearing me away from valuable time with my family and friends comes at a high premium. I work every weekend during the year missing family occasions etc, I'll be damned if I do it at New Year, unless they wish to pay a high price.

We should be ready and expected to work that night? Nah...don't think so. :)

Mark Wild
20-11-2010, 11:55 AM
It's nothing to do with being greedy, and I resent that comment.

erm... did I quote you? You're not the only one who seems to do that. If you don't want to work don't work, end of.

ppentertainments
20-11-2010, 11:59 AM
It's nothing to do with being greedy, and I resent that comment. I made a decision a long time ago not to do NYE, it's family and friends time for me. I'm 'retired' as far as NYE is concerned. If they don't want to pay my fee then that's fine, there'll be plenty of others that are willing to DJ for them on that night. I will work that night, but tearing me away from valuable time with my family and friends comes at a high premium. I work every weekend during the year missing family occasions etc, I'll be damned if I do it at New Year, unless they wish to pay a high price.

We should be ready and expected to work that night? Nah...don't think so. :)
Totally agree. My NYE fee is probably unrealistic, however it is like that for a reason. My fee to go out xmas eve is totally unrealistic for the same reason.

Shaun
20-11-2010, 12:00 PM
erm... did I quote you? You're not the only one who seems to do that. If you don't want to work don't work, end of.

I don't want to work NYE, but I can be persuaded to steal myself away from my loved ones for a high premium. Makes perfect sense to me. And true, you didn't quote me, but you insinuated that those that charge triple time are being greedy...I charge triple time so I can only presume your comment was collectively directed at me and all others that charge that rate.

We'll agree to disagree shall we. ;)

Mark Wild
20-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Totally agree. My NYE fee is probably unrealistic, however it is like that for a reason. My fee to go out xmas eve is totally unrealistic for the same reason.

So you'll go out and work if someone is stupid or desperate enough to pay your self proclaimed unrealistic price.

I don't want to work NYE, but I can be persuaded to steal myself away from my loved ones for a high premium. Makes perfect sense to me. And true, you didn't quote me, but you insinuated that those that charge triple time are being greedy...I charge triple time so I can only presume your comment was collectively directed at me and all others that charge that rate.

We'll agree to disagree shall we. ;)

I didn't insinuate, I made a solid opinion, I think it's greedy ;) and yes we shall ;)

ppentertainments
20-11-2010, 12:06 PM
So you'll go out and work if someone is stupid or desperate enough to pay your self proclaimed unrealistic price.

Yes, pretty much.

Shaun
20-11-2010, 12:10 PM

I don't think the words you've used is reflective of the way I see the situation.

I've set my fee at a rate that I think is fair for me changing important plans on an important occasion.

I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head....the client ultmately has the choice.

Mark Wild
20-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think the words you've used is reflective of the way I see the situation.

I've set my fee at a rate that I think is fair for me changing important plans on an important occasion.

I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head....the client ultmately has the choice.

Yet there is a price on the time you would spend with your loved ones.

Shaun
20-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Yet there is a price on the time you would spend with your loved ones.

As much as I'd love to say no amount of money could drag me away from time with family and friends on NYE, I'm a realist. I'm a father to a baby girl and if people are willing to pay a fee that I think is worth my while....I'm not going to turn it down.

Mark Wild
20-11-2010, 12:18 PM
As much as I'd love to say no amount of money could drag me away from time with family and friends on NYE, I'm a realist. I'm a father to a baby girl and if people are willing to pay a fee that I think is worth my while....I'm not going to turn it down.

Which is exactly my point ;)

Shaun
20-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Ever get the feeling we're going around in circles? :d

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Everyone has a price....:sj:

OllieJames
20-11-2010, 12:40 PM
£350 for a pub next door to me, DJing 8pm til 1am. Free food & drinks too.

simon1969
20-11-2010, 01:19 PM
This year £350.00 guv!! :)

Shaun
20-11-2010, 01:55 PM
This year £350.00 guv!! :)

That much!

You mean I can think of charging even more than triple my usual £60?

:d

MBK
20-11-2010, 04:04 PM

There is a limit to how much coke you can drink :jumping:

I charge double.

This year is the first year in 8 years that I have chosen to work.

I used to jump for New Years extra money. But as Shaun has stated and rightly so In my opinion he has got a young family.

yourdj
21-11-2010, 12:12 AM

That is a great price for a great night iMO.

OK I am now charging the following with some free optional extras:

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/christmas-new-years-eve-mobile-disco.html

Its here for anyone not wanting to click on my site :p

New Years Eve : £685
Additional hours if required - £95 an hour.
5 hours Djing included & master of ceremony (if required)

The following is included FREE of charge!

- Use of wireless mics & PA for background music & speeches
- Projector & screen if required with NYE & XMAS visuals (normally £50)
- 10 exploding confetti canons - Really cool! (normally £45)
- LED uplighting and external tree or building lighting (normally £95)
- Pre event meeting at your venue (Normally £45)

DazzyD
21-11-2010, 09:00 AM
NYE is normally double my regular prices. However, this year is slightly under double but, to be fair, it's a walk-in, walk-out gig, and I get to see some top comedians in action so I'd have pretty much worked for a lot less! (but don't tell the venue or agent that! ;) )

I, too, have never heard of this unwritten rule of charging different amounts for different dates and up to 3 times the fee for NYE. I've always gone along with the pricing strategy of it's the same price throughout the year with the exception of a double-fee NYE. I certainly wouldn't quote any higher for a bank holiday Saturday (after all, Saturday isn't a bank holiday day anyway!).

Jason
21-11-2010, 11:28 AM
For me, £400 in my local pub. This was booked at the start of 2010, and I thought long and hard about taking it (weighing up with the option of getting private gigs at a higher rate).
In years past, I've done NYE gigs in restaurants for more, but the combination of set-up being squashed in a corner with my minimal set-up vs and easy set-up, and being with friends all 100yds away won over a bit of extra £££.

In the end, £400 to spend time with the other locals (who I know), with zero hassle (and full support of the landlord) out weighs a possible £100-£200 extra I may have got.

I do feel that people choosing to hold private parties on this night will expect to pay a premium rate for any service.
Thinking back to before I was DJing, I would have had no problems pre-booking a taxi and paying their rate. Its a one-off-night.

StarZSoundS
21-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Been asked to do Christmas Day.....Backing music for a Restaurant 3.00 to 8.00 pm....might as well!!

Charlie Brown
21-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Been asked to do Christmas Day.....Backing music for a Restaurant 3.00 to 8.00 pm....might as well!!

I'd do that for double and £50 on top.

That is a great price for a great night iMO.

OK I am now charging the following with some free optional extras:

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/christmas-new-years-eve-mobile-disco.html

Its here for anyone not wanting to click on my site :p

Isn't it a bit late?

yourdj
21-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd do that for double and £50 on top.
Isn't it a bit late?

No its worth it not too much extra preparation.
Never too late last year I had loads of desperate people a week before.

Depends on the gig. With NYE you can pick and choose.
I would rather do an enjoyable one for less money than a rubbish one for loads.
That is the only night of the year though. :D

as I type I have just had one of my fav venues ask about NYE. Perfect.
Its a hotel too so hopefully I can blag a room too. :)

StarZSoundS
21-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Its a hotel too so hopefully I can blag a room too. :)

You'd better check its got a Mirror!!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Charlie Brown
21-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Would it be really bad if I sourced another good Dj and cancled my NYE gig?

StarZSoundS
22-11-2010, 12:28 AM

Yep....It would show a lack of commitment to the Profession....but you didn't need me to ell you that.. surely....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Danno13
22-11-2010, 12:56 AM

Depends on your agreement with the client. Are they aware it may not be your personally? If so, are you compliant with the employment agencies/employment business regulations?

Most importantley, as this isn't an emergency you should have a suitable DJ (or choice of DJs) already sourced and vetted rather than doing it after taking the booking.

Though as I say, that's only my opinion based on how I run my own business.

Shakermaker Promotions
22-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Totally agree.
Charlie, do you remember my thread from a couple of months back where the customer was under the impression that they were getting me even though I never said it would be me DJing at their wedding. I have it in my Terms and Conditions that I will put the appropriate DJ with the appropriate function and I also never say who is doing the function until I have met the customer.

You need to be totally happy that you are covered yourself incase you get a customer that is going to kick off because they are expecting you. If you have said you are going to do something then you'll have to go through with it and do it.

TONYTIGER
22-11-2010, 07:09 AM
NYE 2010 i have never known in 45 years so many mobiles in my area that have no bookings,some of the prices quoted in this thread are crazy double seems about the norm but then again depends who the client is if your client has provided you with work throughout the year why bite the hand that feeds you.

As a hire company i have been swamped with inquires for NYE for diy disco sets i wonder why.

Shakermaker Promotions
22-11-2010, 07:45 AM
I agree with you.
One of my hotel residencies asked me about NYE a while back and I said I had already been booked so they started panicking. Their budget is £300.00 and that's it. As you said Tony, why bite the hand that feeds you? I am at my usual residency for the 5th year in a row and for the same price because they give me work all year round. I do Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years Eve for a nice round figure and as I have said before, they appreciate it.

I was speaking to a DJ about 2 weeks ago who does it part time. He was boasting about NYE because he occasionally does one of the venues I do too. He said "I got a good deal with NYE. 'They' asked me what I wanted for 8pm - 1am and I said £550"..."That's a decent price" I said and then it got better. He said "Tony (the guy at the venue) said that it was cool because their budget was £700 so I said I meant £650 and they went for it"...

Now, that's just greedy and it's gone and bit him on his backside because I saw Tony last night and asked what the score was. I said that the DJ I know was boasting that he had more or less got one over on him and he said that he had guessed that and had cancelled him because the committee members of the club thought it would be better to get a band in.

Charlie Brown
22-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I've decided I'm not going to let them down and carry on as planned.

I feel too guilty.

Paul The Party Dj
22-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm still not booked, and am not too worried.

In the past when I got a good rate it was because I had been booked at a venue year after year - first a pub for about four years, and then a hotel for about five. Each year I did the gig, at the end of the night they said can we book you now for next year, they then did the paperwork in January so I was booked. These bookings paid around double my standard Saturday rate but I would always do them favours, like do a staff party for them for free after a diner-dance at the venue - in a 2 in the morning 'til 6am kind of thing.

Since returning to the business two years ago, I still haven't got a hotel residency - just agency work at a hotel over Christmas - and I don't want to do just any old pub, so it looks like I might have to spend the night with the wife!

Cheers, Paul ;o)

Corabar Entertainment
22-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Just food for thought....

If you charge double your normal rate for an evening you are, in fact, receiving more than double, since your overheads do not change for the night, so your profit margin would be more than double your usual rate :D

Charlie Brown
22-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Just food for thought....

If you charge double your normal rate for an evening you are, in fact, receiving more than double, since your overheads do not change for the night, so your profit margin would be more than double your usual rate :D

Very true! Unfortunately this doesn't apply to me. :(

Taxis are double rate. :(

I'm looking at £50 just to get home.

Megamix
22-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I might have to spend the night with the wife!

tried that...didn't work :D :D :D :D (my wife...not yours)

yourdj
24-11-2010, 11:31 PM
just agency work at a hotel over Christmas - and I don't want to do just any old pub

And what was wrong with the gig you got last year :p
They have not called me this year :( (Oh well :))

im still not booked (well almost) I am holding out for the best venue.
I have an 80%er just down the road in the forest now at the rate I posted :)

Paul The Party Dj
25-11-2010, 06:56 AM
And what was wrong with the gig you got last year :p
They have not called me this year :( (Oh well :))

im still not booked (well almost) I am holding out for the best venue.
I have an 80%er just down the road in the forest now at the rate I posted :)

That's why I'm not just taking any gig. Doing peoples local pub which you've never done before with people coming in and then going off to a club or another party is rubbish. If they haven't rebooked because of me I'm not surprised - but I expect it's down to cost-cutting.

I just got two more DeVere nights but still no NYE.

yourdj
25-11-2010, 10:25 AM
but I expect it's down to cost-cutting..

That is what I meant. I am sure you did an excellent job. :)