PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio Laptops

Twinspin
19-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Ive been looking at a new laptop. Ive heard these are good laptops. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with them or know anything about them.

Reason i ask is ive seen this laptop in Makro. Its the model ive been looking at online.

cheers

John

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I've had two for several years and have never really had any problems with them, but they are optimised to play music and the main gig machine is just that and nothing else.

Twinspin
19-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks Daz.

Sounds like a good piece of kit then. Makro have it on the front page of the Mail and it looks like a good laptop.

I've been looking at the Vaio's for a bit. So ill get myself down to Makro tommorow for one.

its a VPCEE2E1E/WI

AMD Athlon II Dual Core 2.1ghz (64 bit processor)
3gb ram
320gb hard disk
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit included

Digital Jack
19-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Be aware that there's still a fair amount of software that doesn't work with a 64bit system , so double check any potential software requirements before buying a lappy with a 64bit OS.

DiscoPromotions
19-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Personal opinion is that I think Sony Vaio are just over priced for what they are. They look great and very stylish, but they are not workhorses or road worthy.

Digital Jack
20-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Panasonic Toughbooks are excellent sturdy machines , but very expensive if you want reasonable spec'.
I use a mixture of Acer Aspire & HP for my music sources , not exactly tough but I handle them with kid gloves.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Personal opinion is that I think Sony Vaio are just over priced for what they are. They look great and very stylish, but they are not workhorses or road worthy.

What makes a laptop a workhorse and roadworthy then?

Mine have been working on the road for around 3 years....

djmattieb
20-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a sony vaio being using it on the road over 2 years never had any problems i'd recomend them.

DiscoPromotions
20-11-2010, 02:33 PM
What makes a laptop a workhorse and roadworthy then?

Mine have been working on the road for around 3 years....

Some genius IT wizard within the company I am working for now brought 10 for the sale & marketing people. 3/4 of them after 12 months failed mainly (Hard disk or motherboard). So, when they asked for a new one I would not justify the cost of replacing them.

I sourced the replacement which is HP AMD Core Duo 2.7 CPU, 3 Gig RAM, 320HD for £345 as I was not prepared to spend £500+ on machine that is going to be constantly on the road doing 8 hours a day.

Yes, HP is not as stylish as the Vaio, but 50 to 70% cheaper. If they last 12 months I will be happy.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-11-2010, 02:56 PM
John, i cant remember if your a serato user or not, but if you are be aware that SSL is having major problems with the Intel i3, i5 and i7 pricessors

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Some genius IT wizard within the company I am working for now brought 10 for the sale & marketing people. 3/4 of them after 12 months failed mainly (Hard disk or motherboard). So, when they asked for a new one I would not justify the cost of replacing them.

I sourced the replacement which is HP AMD Core Duo 2.7 CPU, 3 Gig RAM, 320HD for £345 as I was not prepared to spend £500+ on machine that is going to be constantly on the road doing 8 hours a day.

Very nice, I'm sure, but this is a DJ forum. They aren't going to be spending 8 hours on the road...

I have found Sony to be reliable and good value personally. Mine are just used for DJing though.

DiscoPromotions
20-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Very nice, I'm sure, but this is a DJ forum. They aren't going to be spending 8 hours on the road...

I have found Sony to be reliable and good value personally. Mine are just used for DJing though.

Not to start any negative banter here, but the forum topic asked if knew anything about them. I do, and offered my opinion. John did not give a clear indication to what the full use of the laptop would be.

Also, I do not know John personally and I do not know If John is a full time DJ, if yes he his a full time DJ, then he could be running it up 8 hours per day.

Not to take the biscuit here, but replying with "this is a DJ forum" in relation to computer hardware was pointless. Computer hardware is not designed for one specific use, so it could be accessing the internet or used for running single application. How long a computer lasts in working environment depends on how it is maintained, operated, and transported by the user.

My DJ laptop is Acer Aspire 9300, AMD Turion II (64bit), 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD. Brought for £400 back in 2007, and still going strong. Every 3 months it is stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt to ensure optimal performance. Yes, maybe a little excessive, but never once failed.

Twinspin
21-11-2010, 12:45 AM
nah i dont use serato mate. My digital kit is a dn-hd2500 and a dn-d4000 twin cd so it wouldnt be used for music.

Laptop is mainly for personal use. However i have bought the Vaio this morning.

A Few things trying to get adobe flash player to work in IE8 in 64 bit. Also the keyboard is not to my liking i prefer deeper keys. But ill have to get used to that

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Not to take the biscuit here, but replying with "this is a DJ forum" in relation to computer hardware was pointless. Computer hardware is not designed for one specific use, so it could be accessing the internet or used for running single application. How long a computer lasts in working environment depends on how it is maintained, operated, and transported by the user.

Yep and I know that John won't be on the road 8 hours a day. He is still taking driving lessons at the moment.

Charlie Brown
21-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Yep and I know that John won't be on the road 8 hours a day. He is still taking driving lessons at the moment.

How do you get around then John?

Booche
21-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Back on topic.......

Its always weird going from one laptop to another i think that you have made quite a good choice as i said on msn the other laptop was a good machine aswell.

As for the keyboard you could always file your fingers down ;)

Twinspin
21-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Its a bit off topic i think but I get help from one of my folks with it. Or now mainly my roadie Jason. If one of my folks help move it. I just go into the venue find out where the suite or room is and then go round there. Take the trailer off the car put the wheel clamp on the trailer and then its ready for me to open and unload the kit myself.

djpapastu
03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
John, i cant remember if your a serato user or not, but if you are be aware that SSL is having major problems with the Intel i3, i5 and i7 pricessors

I'm running SSL on a new Macbook Pro 2.53ghz Intel Core i5, 4gb with no problems so far, however only done three gigs with the new laptop, so I'll keep you posted if this changes.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm running SSL on a new Macbook Pro 2.53ghz Intel Core i5, 4gb with no problems so far, however only done three gigs with the new laptop, so I'll keep you posted if this changes.

:o Sorry, should have been more specific, its i3, i5 and i7 Windows based systems...macs seem to be fine :)