PDA

View Full Version : The glasshouse edinburgh

soundmaster mobile disco
28-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I did a wedding here last nighnt and let me tell you this is no venue for a winter time gig.First of all its part of the omni centre next to edinburgh playhouse.I was in the calton suite which is a separate function room in the rooftop garden.This is on the 3rd floor.You have to drive under and use the service entrance\lift,a bit of a walk from the van,small lift so 2 trips were needed.Up to second floor ring buzzer tell them you want the 3rd floor,someone has to go with you as its a security thing

once on the 3rd floor its another long walk to the door that leasds out into the rooftop garden.yet another walk to the function room,which is a sepatrate building from the hotel.if its wet\snowing like last night then you and your gear get wet.

The function room itself is small,i got told to set up in the top corner beside the door.this meant i was set up facing the door with the guests tables to my left.Not ideal as its a small space and even smaller dancefloor.

Like i said in my oppinion brides only book this hotel for its stunning views of edfinburgh and certainly not for the function hall,

Good luck to anyone else working here soon.Next time i will charge loads more for the extra work involved.

Beware fellow djs you have been warned.

Shaun
28-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Gary. Sounds like a nightmare.

leelive
28-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I really appreciate you taking the time to post that information. I will definitely be adding a "restricted access" fee to any quote for that place.
Lee

soundmaster mobile disco
28-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Gary. Sounds like a nightmare.

This is by far the worst venue i have experienced.Yes it does have a lift but its the distance you have to travel with your gear thats the bummer.

Shaun
28-11-2010, 08:53 PM
This is by far the worst venue i have experienced.

Worse than the North Queensferry hotel? Or St Andrews University Upper hall?

Nightmare venues. Gotta love 'em.

Candybeatdiscos
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Worse than the North Queensferry hotel? Or St Andrews University Upper hall?

Nightmare venues. Gotta love 'em.

Shaun the Queensferry Lodge is easy access, one of the better ones

Shaun
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Shaun the Queensferry Lodge is easy access, one of the better ones

Not the times I've been there. The function hall on the first level is fine. However, the top floor where you have to navigate a couple of lifts and long corridors isn't fun. It's not the strenuousness of the load in, just the sheer amount of time and manoeuvring that's required. If that's one of your easy ones I never want to play at your tricky venues. :d

Nightowl Discotheques
14-12-2010, 10:50 AM
My Nightmare... venues
Traverse, Carlton Hotel, The top function suite in the Playhouse Theatre and The Assembly Rooms George Street....

Mark Wild
17-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Just had an enquiry for this venue, cheers for the warning Gary.

leelive
17-03-2011, 02:25 PM
me too. I added on a Restricted Access fee.
Lee

Mark Wild
17-03-2011, 02:37 PM
me too. I added on a Restricted Access fee.
Lee

Not for the 9th October this year is it? :p

leelive
17-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Not for the 9th October this year is it? :p

Yes, 80 guests. With some from the Netherlands and Switzerland.

I would have quoted £360.. but quoted £440 with Restricted Access fee.

Lee

Mark Wild
17-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes, 80 guests. With some from the Netherlands and Switzerland.

I would have quoted £360.. but quoted £440 with Restricted Access fee.

Lee

Ah cheers for that, I've undercut you by a fiver :D

(That's a joke btw)

Shaun
17-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I forgot all about this thread. I quoted a few days ago for a wedding there in June, and forgot to add the PITA fee.

leelive
17-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Ah cheers for that, I've undercut you by a fiver :D

(That's a joke btw)

If it get the job - I'll subcontract it to you.
Lee

soundmaster mobile disco
17-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Good luck with the booking guys.

Ive never even had another enquiry for this venue

DJ Tony McQue
20-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I got this enquiry too but passed on other people's details for this one, it sounds like a cracking gig but this venue is truly a nightmare to load. Glad to hear they got in contact with at least one of my recommendations.. :p