PDA

View Full Version : The New Denon DN-MC6000 Controller

welby
29-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi,

is it worth waiting for one of these:

http://www.skratchworx.com/images/denon_expo_2010/DN-MC6000_EM_top_00.jpg

No stocks available until December 15th - seems like bad timing as most people are going to be busy and won't invest until after December, possibly missing out on some early sales.

I'm seriously tempted to go for the Allen And Heath DX or even the 4D :eek:

I'm put off the VMS4 because of the reported mic input issues and the S4 cannot double as a standard mixer.

The Hercules RMX users report that they are a joy - but are they really in the same league?

Even if I had a two heaeded coin I could not decide!

Jiggles
29-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Can i say typical Denon? More buttons and twiddly bits that you know what to do with. :S

BeerFunk
29-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Holy :Censored: !

What does it do then? :)

Shaun
29-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Can i say typical Denon? More buttons and twiddly bits that you know what to do with. :S

I know what to do with all my Denon knobbly twiddly thingymajig bits. :P

Penfold42
30-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Holy :Censored: !

What does it do then? :)

Errr....play music. :D

I know what to do with all my Denon knobbly twiddly thingymajig bits. :P

No point in having something and not being able to use it. :eek: :D

Think I see this at BPM with Daz.....nice bit of kit. All sorts of tricks to be had here. I won't be getting one. :(

Ecstatic Events
30-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm going to invest in one of these. I use Traktor now and use the DN-HD2500 to control a limited number of software functions via MIDI. This baby will allow me to be so much more creative over 4 decks...

I'd wait, the Xone:4D is completely wasted in a mobile environment, plus it's nearly double the investment ;)

Steve the DJ
30-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't even know how to turn it on.

supersound
30-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't even know how to turn it on.

blow in its ear and rub the right bits,

DJ Tony McQue
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Pre-ordered and cannot wait for it to arrive, it is the mother of all controllers and is rack-mountable!

WWDJ
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
For those of you that want 4 deck control from Traktor you are going to need an external soundcard as this baby only has a 2 in / 2 out soundcard. i.e 2 decks.

I'll stick with my existing solution HD2500 / X500 / X1 / Traktor Pro.

welby
02-12-2010, 07:48 PM
For those of you that want 4 deck control from Traktor you are going to need an external soundcard as this baby only has a 2 in / 2 out soundcard. i.e 2 decks.

I'll stick with my existing solution HD2500 / X500 / X1 / Traktor Pro.

I believe that's not true by looking at the manual.

and it states:

Features:
• Multi-deck support up to 99 independent zero-latency players
• One-click beat matching and synchronization (FAME algorithm)
• Time-Stretch and Master Tempo Pitch algorithms
• Automatic seamless and beat-aware LOOP functionality
• Synchronized sampler with 12 instant record and playback slots
• Real scratch simulation
• Automatic first beat and last beat detection
• Automatic BPM and KEY calculation

You can assign:

Inputs: LINE INSz
Outputs: EXTERNAL MIXERz
(Deck1: Chan 1&2 / Deck2 : Chan 3&4)
Sound card: 4-INz/4-OUT CARD (DN-MC6000)

That's 2 channels per deck so that can run 4 decks in that configuration

WWDJ
02-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I do hope you are right because my 'want' meter is dingalingin. i do have pretty much everything i need and want to concentrate on sound in 2011 though.

Mark Wild
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Anyone know if there is going to be a specific flightcase for this with lappy shelve or can you recommend one that will work well with it? Thanks in advance.

Ecstatic Events
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.swanflight.com/dj-cases/pcdj-mixer-laptop-cases/pcdj-10u.html

Ill get this one I reckon :)

You could get away with the 8u version, but Ill mount mine at the top of the 10u so I have space for Mics/HP etc at the bottom

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.swanflight.com/dj-cases/pcdj-mixer-laptop-cases/pcdj-10u.html

Ill get this one I reckon :)

What about the controls on the front of the unit?

Mark Wild
07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
What about the controls on the front of the unit?

Indeed :)

Ecstatic Events
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
The unit is 6u, housing it at the top of a 10u would give me easy enough access to the front controls.

Im sure Swan will custom build a flip down front if desired :)

DJ Tony McQue
07-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I bought the Citronic 10U 2U case which would be perfect for the MC6000 if it wasn't so heavy! I have emailed Swan to ask if they can do a custom version of their 10u case, I shall let you know if they respond.

Mark Wild
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I bought the Citronic 10U 2U case which would be perfect for the MC6000 if it wasn't so heavy! I have emailed Swan to ask if they can do a custom version of their 10u case, I shall let you know if they respond.

Sweet, thanks mate :)

simonp
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm going to invest in one of these. I use Traktor now and use the DN-HD2500 to control a limited number of software functions via MIDI. This baby will allow me to be so much more creative over 4 decks...

I'd wait, the Xone:4D is completely wasted in a mobile environment, plus it's nearly double the investment ;)

No it won't according to the Denon UK Product Manager who I spoke to whilst having a play around with it in September - I specifically said I wanted to control 4 decks with Traktor through 1 controller without having to use an extra soundcard - He said go for the NI KontrolS4 as the 6000 would not be able to do that.
He did say however, that it was still a prototype and maybe new things would be added to the final version. If the 'goalposts' have been moved within the last 3 months I'd be interested to know. By all accounts the KontrolS4 has many teething problems which need ironing out and the feel of the 6000 was very sturdy and well built.
If you find you can natively (no mapping required) control 4 traktor decks please let me know.

Mark Wild
07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I notice the availabilty of this on Thomann has gone to 1st Jan 2011, it's £600 on there, any release date info you know of from elsewhere?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/denon_dn_mc6000.htm

simonp
07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I notice the availabilty of this on Thomann has gone to 1st Jan 2011, it's £600 on there, any release date info you know of from elsewhere?

Just read the blurb from your link Mark - It's definitely a 2 in & out soundcard - this isn't going to run 4 decks on its own :(

2Groove
07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Digital Villiage are dispatching the 6000 between 3-12 working days
http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/denon-dn-mc6000-4-deck-midi-controller--77881

DJ Tony McQue
07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
You can run this in 4 deck mode, there is a switch on the back that allows you to do this. Unfortunately, this is just for using it as a midi controller so you would lose the ability to use the controller as a mixer as well. I read this on the Denon DJ forum by the way..

DJ Tony McQue
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh and I heard from the retailer I am purchasing mine from that the first shipment has already been pre sold, they may just be saying this to get me even more excited.

Mark Wild
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Nice little video here....

YouTube - Denon MC6000 DJ System

DJ Tony McQue
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I just heard back from Swan Flight, they are up for making me a custom case. I shall post pics here when I get it or if they send me the plans.

Ecstatic Events
08-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I just heard back from Swan Flight, they are up for making me a custom case. I shall post pics here when I get it or if they send me the plans.

Can you post the specs and price up too :)

DJ Tony McQue
08-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Can you post the specs and price up too :)

Will do. It will be similar to this but finished in sumptious black hex and won't have the stupid height adjustable rack that destroys equipment, I am going for slightly raised fixed height rails. It also won't have the annoying bogey of a door that Citronic insist on putting on their cases. There should be enough space at the front to house a 1u radio mic or my Formula Sound - The Shadow. I am undecided on which is more important..

I initially said I wanted it 10u to fit all my gear in but I am thinking of reducing it down to 8u, there are way too many Edinburgh venues with stairs and no lifts. My back can't take any more punishment!

yourdj
08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Looked at one at BPM. The bloke admitted it had too much stuff but said if they did not put it on people would complain :D

DJ Tony McQue
08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Looked at one at BPM. The bloke admitted it had too much stuff but said if they did not put it on people would complain :D

Off topic but how do you use just a VCI300 Toby? Do you have to plug it in to another mixer if you want to use a radio mic or backup playback?

Ecstatic Events
08-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Out of interest, a question to the guys/gals that will be aquiring one of these and own a Denon HD-2500.

Personally, I now use the Denon HD-2500 as a main PO with back up laptop.

Will you be continuing to use the HD-2500 or will it become surplus to requirements?? Im undecided on whether or not I should part with my HD-2500 :confused:

Shakermaker Promotions
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
As I said the other day Mike, if you can afford to keep it then it's worth keeping. It's a great piece of kit in my opinion and well worth keeping as a backup system whether you take it along with you to gigs in your setup, leave it in the van just incase or have it at home for a 'rainy day' if you like?

I wouldn't part with mine. I love it. If I decide to go down the route you are, it will still be part of my setup.

DJ Tony McQue
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Out of interest, a question to the guys/gals that will be aquiring one of these and own a Denon HD-2500.

Personally, I now use the Denon HD-2500 as a main PO with back up laptop.

Will you be continuing to use the HD-2500 or will it become surplus to requirements?? Im undecided on whether or not I should part with my HD-2500 :confused:

Backup playout is a must I would say, I have a 2u SD card player which always comes in handy.

Ecstatic Events
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
As I said the other day Mike, if you can afford to keep it then it's worth keeping. It's a great piece of kit in my opinion and well worth keeping as a backup system whether you take it along with you to gigs in your setup, leave it in the van just incase or have it at home for a 'rainy day' if you like?

I wouldn't part with mine. I love it. If I decide to go down the route you are, it will still be part of my setup.

I think Ill end up keeping it and "see how I go" if I find it becomes redundant I may have a rethink ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Not wanting to go off topic regarding backup yet again but I really do think it's worth keeping hold of certain items. I've got rid of /sold on loads of stuff and some of it I wish I had kept. I no longer take CD Players along to gigs anymore as I use the HD2500 and VDJ as backup.

I think that if the sound and lights are pretty secure (although nothing is ever 100% is it?), then the most important thing of all, ie your playouts...should be secure and if one system goes down, it should be backed up.

welby
24-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Back on topic...ahem!

In stock at:

http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=6790

Ok who's gonna get one?

I'm on the edge...lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Back on topic...ahem!

In stock at:

http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=6790

Ok who's gonna get one?

I'm on the edge...lol

Me too!

Corabar Steve
24-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Me too!
You went over the edge years ago! :sj:

Mark Wild
24-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing one before the end of the tax year, cracking bit of kit imo.

Mark Wild
05-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Anyone got thier grubby little hands on one yet? Any new flightcase options?
ODYSSEY have released the FZGSDNMC6000 GLIDE STYLE™ CASE for it, but I don't think it's available in the U.K, anyone know any different?

DJ Tony McQue
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Anyone got thier grubby little hands on one yet? Any new flightcase options?
ODYSSEY have released the FZGSDNMC6000 GLIDE STYLE™ CASE for it, but I don't think it's available in the U.K, anyone know any different?

Ah sorry, I forgot to post an update. I got mine just before Christmas and all I can say is wow! I have not gigged with it but have ran it on test for hours much to my Wife's annoyance, I want to make sure it is definately stable before going out on the road with it. Mixing on it is a joy, the mapping in Traktor is just spot on. I have a latency of 2ms and the sound quality is just brilliant. Having access to the effects, loops, hot cues and mixer controls all in the one place is truly liberating. The jog wheels are easily a match for the CDJ1000 and the buttons feel great.

Whatever I do, I just cannot get it to sound good with Virtual DJ although I think it is just because I am used to how good Traktor sounds especially when using key lock. I only ever use Virtual DJ as a backup these days anyway. This controller is made for Traktor, it works with Virtual DJ but I would not recommend it until someone makes a better mapping and sorts out the crackling noises/poor latency.

Right onto the case.. I originally bought a Citronic 10U 2U case to house it and all my gear but I have decided to slim down my playback gear. I contacted Swan a few weeks back and we have finally agreed a design and it should be with me any day now. I have gone for a 10U case but Pete at Swan can manufacture a 6U case for the Denon unit if that is all you are after. It has raised rails to allow access to the front of the MC6000, I didn't want to go for the adjustable rails which can remove fingers! I can post pics up if you like but if you email Peter at Swan, just mention you would like a case similar to Tony's and he will sort you out. I have told him to prepare for an avalanche of requests for a case for this unit.

welby
07-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Ah sorry, I forgot to post an update. I got mine just before Christmas and all I can say is wow! I have not gigged with it but have ran it on test for hours much to my Wife's annoyance, I want to make sure it is definately stable before going out on the road with it. Mixing on it is a joy, the mapping in Traktor is just spot on. I have a latency of 2ms and the sound quality is just brilliant. Having access to the effects, loops, hot cues and mixer controls all in the one place is truly liberating. The jog wheels are easily a match for the CDJ1000 and the buttons feel great.

Whatever I do, I just cannot get it to sound good with Virtual DJ although I think it is just because I am used to how good Traktor sounds especially when using key lock. I only ever use Virtual DJ as a backup these days anyway. This controller is made for Traktor, it works with Virtual DJ but I would not recommend it until someone makes a better mapping and sorts out the crackling noises/poor latency.

Right onto the case.. I originally bought a Citronic 10U 2U case to house it and all my gear but I have decided to slim down my playback gear. I contacted Swan a few weeks back and we have finally agreed a design and it should be with me any day now. I have gone for a 10U case but Pete at Swan can manufacture a 6U case for the Denon unit if that is all you are after. It has raised rails to allow access to the front of the MC6000, I didn't want to go for the adjustable rails which can remove fingers! I can post pics up if you like but if you email Peter at Swan, just mention you would like a case similar to Tony's and he will sort you out. I have told him to prepare for an avalanche of requests for a case for this unit.

Sounds good although concered about your comments re: VDJ, but I'm guessing it is what drivers you use in VDJ.

I have never used Traktor before, so can you play video's in traktor or is it just an mp3 player?

Mark Wild
12-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Decks.co.uk will price match Thomann for this unit so you can get it for £602 :)

DJ Tony McQue
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Decks.co.uk will price match Thomann for this unit so you can get it for £602 :)

Really? That is a cracking deal and makes me wish I had waited.. :(

Flight case update: I have ditched the 10u design, changed my backup playback to a laptop running a second copy of Traktor or VDJ and I am getting the following case delivered tomorrow:

http://www.swanflight.com/denon-dn-mc6000-flightcase.html

Mark Wild
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Really? That is a cracking deal and makes me wish I had waited.. :(

Flight case update: I have ditched the 10u design, changed my backup playback to a laptop running a second copy of Traktor or VDJ and I am getting the following case delivered tomorrow:

http://www.swanflight.com/denon-dn-mc6000-flightcase.html

Swan are the way forward for sure, I think I'm going to go with this one though....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Denon-Dn-MC6000-Midi-laptop-mixer-DJ-Swan-Flight-Case-/180609608445?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Rack_Cases_ MJ&hash=item2a0d2beafd

After I've buttered up the better half and maybe sold a few bits that are clogging up the office. :)

DJ Tony McQue
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Swan are the way forward for sure, I think I'm going to go with this one though....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Denon-Dn-MC6000-Midi-laptop-mixer-DJ-Swan-Flight-Case-/180609608445?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Rack_Cases_ MJ&hash=item2a0d2beafd

After I've buttered up the better half and maybe sold a few bits that are clogging up the office. :)

I used to have a similar case, people kept knocking into the laptop shelf and I ended up ripping it off and just using it as an 8u flightcase.

It is worth noting that you have to leave a 1u gap if you want to put other rack equipment in the same case as the MC6000 as the outputs on the back are not recessed like on the x500 mixer etc, that would leave you with 1u of space to play with. You obviously can't put anything in front of it thanks to Denon putting the controls on the front, having said that the headphone socket is great being there.

Mark Wild
12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I used to have a similar case, people kept knocking into the laptop shelf and I ended up ripping it off and just using it as an 8u flightcase.

It is worth noting that you have to leave a 1u gap if you want to put other rack equipment in the same case as the MC6000 as the outputs on the back are not recessed like on the x500 mixer etc, that would leave you with 1u of space to play with. You obviously can't put anything in front of it thanks to Denon putting the controls on the front, having said that the headphone socket is great being there.

Good post yeah, I'm not sure how that lappy shelf will sit with the S&H and Ultimax deckstand. Probably a better idea to buy the one your getting and keep using the Stanton Uberstand.

Daryll
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I emailed the guys at Ultramixer on Monday ,to see if they will be supporting this product.
This was their reply.

Dear daryll,

it seams to be a very good controller like the VMS4 from American DJ. So we try to integrate it as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Tobi

spelling :Censored: :D

So when they map it , I`ll be buying it .

Daryll

welby
13-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Ha ha - got one from decks at £600 whoop whoop!

Delivery on Monday.

Just need to take a look at the case options. The thing that bothers me about the swan case is the accessability to the output cables and front knobs.

http://www.swanflight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/denon_dn-mc6000_open.jpg

hmmmmmm

Mark Wild
13-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Delivery on Monday.

your welcome :D

DJ Tony McQue
13-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Delivery on Monday.

Just need to take a look at the case options. The thing that bothers me about the swan case is how the output cables and front knobs accessability.

hmmmmmm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ Very happy for you... :mad:

My case was due today but I am guessing it will be tomorrow now, I will report back if I have any cabling issues.

welby
13-01-2011, 06:39 PM
your welcome :D

Yes credit due where credit is due!

THANK YOU MARK :party2:

welby
17-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ Very happy for you... :mad:

My case was due today but I am guessing it will be tomorrow now, I will report back if I have any cabling issues.

How is the case?

looking at the options for mine.

Odyssey do one - but no UK dealer is doing it.

FGSDNMC6000 LINK (http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/fgsdnmc6000.html)

http://www.odysseygear.com/images/t.gif

DJ Tony McQue
17-01-2011, 02:23 PM
The case is fantastic, typical amazing Swan quality coupled with a genius design. There is enough room underneath to put the PSU and a radio mic, the padding keeps it all in place when the MC6000 is in position. There is also plenty of room at the rear to house power distribution and cables. It is light to transport and having ran the MC6000 continuously on test for hours over the weekend, I have no doubt about it's stability.

I really can't see how you would mount the MC6000 in a flight case with anything else without adding XLR patchbays and in stupidly large case, it is designed to be mounted on it's own and this case is perfect (for me anyway). I have lost my 2u media backup player and Formula Sound - The Shadow but I am moving over to a much more exciting backup sysytem now anyway.

Swan do 2 cases for the MC6000 so you have no need to get the Odyssey one I would have thought?

yourdj
17-01-2011, 02:24 PM
How is the case?

looking at the options for mine.

Odyssey do one - but no UK dealer is doing it.

FGSDNMC6000 LINK (http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/fgsdnmc6000.html)

i have one of them - its excellent! Compact and light. :)

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/257067.jpg

Mine is magma case but identical. I put my headphones, mics & transmitter on the top when in storage - bags of room.

DJ Tony McQue
17-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Mine is magma case but identical. I put my headphones, mics & transmitter on the top when in storage - bags of room.

I do have to admit the Odyssey case with the laptop shelf does look quite neat though.

yourdj
17-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I do have to admit the Odyssey case with the laptop shelf does look quite neat though.

Really neat. infact I wanted that one but there were non in the UK at the time. would have gone well with my black mac:

http://qualityelectronics.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/z/fzgsvci300gtbl_2.jpg

welby
17-01-2011, 03:24 PM

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/257067.jpg

Where did you get the magma one?

I need to house my kam twin UHF mics underneath - then I am sorted.

Thanks

welby
17-01-2011, 03:37 PM
The case is fantastic, typical amazing Swan quality coupled with a genius design. There is enough room underneath to put the PSU and a radio mic, the padding keeps it all in place when the MC6000 is in position. There is also plenty of room at the rear to house power distribution and cables. It is light to transport and having ran the MC6000 continuously on test for hours over the weekend, I have no doubt about it's stability.

I really can't see how you would mount the MC6000 in a flight case with anything else without adding XLR patchbays and in stupidly large case, it is designed to be mounted on it's own and this case is perfect (for me anyway). I have lost my 2u media backup player and Formula Sound - The Shadow but I am moving over to a much more exciting backup sysytem now anyway.

Swan do 2 cases for the MC6000 so you have no need to get the Odyssey one I would have thought?

Sounds good especially the fact you can get the wireless mics in!!!

Oh go on pray tell, what are you looking at as a backup? :D

Mark Wild
17-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Well I smooth talked the better half (dishes for a month) and now i'm going to join the MC6000 club via decks.co.uk. It's on back order though (1 week) but they accepted my 3 week old price match of £592.79 from Thomann. It's gone up on Thomann since then I do believe.

Fluid, you bought the case with no lappy shelf in the end?

welby
17-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Well I smooth talked the better half (dishes for a month) and now i'm going to join the MC6000 club via decks.co.uk. It's on back order though (1 week) but they accepted my 3 week old price match of £592.79 from Thomann. It's gone up on Thomann since then I do believe.

Nice one - my MC6000 got delivered at 10am and I have just got it out of the box @ 6.00pm !!! Now that is resisiting temptation!!!

I have my DDS80 and a dac III future to consider.....and what to use as a back up.

May just get a cd player with usb inputs - hey I could get a pair and then I could join the rest of the scratch monkeys. er......or maybe not.

DJ Tony McQue
17-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Yes, the one with shelf would just give me chronic backache. I really love the case without the shelf, highly recommended.

welby
17-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes, the one with shelf would just give me chronic backache. I really love the case without the shelf, highly recommended.

Ordered one - I agree and also customers would knock into it.

Mark Wild
22-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Couple a pics of my new the MC6000 in swan flight, I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality of the MC6000 lovely solid piece of kit. Flightcased it weigh about 10kgs. The integrated booth send and the fact the 4 channel mixer is built in are nices touches. Certainly purpose built for the Mobile Jock :)

DJ Tony McQue
22-01-2011, 09:00 AM
It is a great case, Swan really thought about the design before producing it. I have got a radio mic receiver, Native Instruments Audio 4 soundcard and a power bar in mine and there is still room for more gear.

Mark Wild
22-01-2011, 09:07 AM
It is a great case, Swan really thought about the design before producing it. I have got a radio mic receiver, Native Instruments Audio 4 soundcard and a power bar in mine and there is still room for more gear.

What, in that space at the back you have all that? lol

DJ Tony McQue
22-01-2011, 09:12 AM
What, in that space at the back you have all that? lol

The radio mic and PSU sit underneath the MC6000, the soundcard and powerbar are at the back and fit no problem. Who needs big rack cases!?

Mark Wild
22-01-2011, 09:22 AM
The radio mic and PSU sit underneath the MC6000, the soundcard and powerbar are at the back and fit no problem. Who needs big rack cases!?

Maybe a silly question but what's the native soundcard for?

Shaun
22-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Looks great Mark. :)

MikeW
22-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Are you able to use a usb stick on this controller?

Mark Wild
22-01-2011, 11:21 AM

No :)

MikeW
22-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanks Mark. You can't beat a staight to the point answer :) :)

Still worth the money though?

Mark Wild
22-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks Mark. You can't beat a staight to the point answer :) :)

Still worth the money though?

As I advised Mike, get a price match from deck.co.uk on the Thomann price which is £608 now (It was £592 when I bought mine)

Well worth the money mate, imo anyway :) , lovely and solid piece of kit.

DJ Tony McQue
22-01-2011, 05:22 PM

The soundcard is connected to my backup laptop and goes into the spare 2 channels on the MC6000. I have never had a laptop crash on me ever but I still like the comfort of having a backup plan ready to go.

Excalibur
22-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Well that's made my mind up then. ;) Shame, I was going to order one on Monday morning. :( :(

DJ Jules
22-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Well that's made my mind up then. ;) Shame, I was going to order one on Monday morning. :( :(

If you want a MIDI controller which can also play independently without a Laptop from a USB stick or similar... There's a lot more around these days than there were 2yrs ago:

For instance...

http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=7485&cat=65

Julian

Excalibur
22-01-2011, 09:00 PM
If you want a MIDI controller which can also play independently without a Laptop from a USB stick or similar... There's a lot more around these days than there were 2yrs ago:

For instance...

http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=7485&cat=65

Julian

Sorry mate. :( A bit of a whimsy on my part. Cortex rules, OK. ;) :D
Thanks for the info though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Couple a pics of my new the MC6000 in swan flight, I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality of the MC6000 lovely solid piece of kit. Flightcased it weigh about 10kgs. The integrated booth send and the fact the 4 channel mixer is built in are nices touches. Certainly purpose built for the Mobile Jock :)

So, is the case 19" and how much room is there at the top? Could you fit another 2 or 3 U controller in there?

Mark Wild
23-01-2011, 12:24 PM
So, is the case 19" and how much room is there at the top? Could you fit another 2 or 3 U controller in there?

It's not rack mount mate this one, it's the "use in case" design. The rack mount version has the lappy shelf...

http://www.swanflight.com/denon-dn-mc6000-laptop-dj-flightcase.html

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-01-2011, 07:25 PM
The case is fantastic, typical amazing Swan quality coupled with a genius design. There is enough room underneath to put the PSU and a radio mic

What kind of radio mic - are you talking about the receiver bit?

I am moving over to a much more exciting backup sysytem now anyway.

What are you going to use?

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Well I've been testing this ready for a live gig for the last few days with VDJ 7.0.2 after a few mapping issues which were solved by just upgrading to the newest version of VDJ. Mainly the "Load Deck B" button not working at all (until i downloaded 7.0.2)

Last night I was working the machine quite hard and everything froze, lappy AND the mc6000, after trying several ways to get it back up and running, the only success I had was sending the unit through a power cycle and restarting VDJ.
On further research, it seems the Jog Wheels are the reason for the freeze, that and the fact that when to many midi signals are being proccessed it can also cause the same problem.

You can if you try recreate this freeze by scratching both jog wheels at the same time, I do believe there are many possible button pressing combinations that will also cause it, but this seems to recreate it quite fast.

Seems Denon & VDJ are working together to release a firmware update to resolve this. I certainly won't be using it in a live situation though until this firmware is sorted and released, I must also add, part of the reason I went for this was because it's also a stand-alone analogue mixer and that is great for using a channel for backup in case the lappy crashes, but not so good if the whole unit freezes and needs a power recycle to get going again !

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/index.php?f=55&t=13972&rb_v=viewtopic

Ecstatic Events
28-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Well I've been testing this ready for a live gig for the last few days with VDJ 7.0.2 after a few mapping issues which were solved by just upgrading to the newest version of VDJ. Mainly the "Load Deck B" button not working at all (until i downloaded 7.0.2)

Last night I was working the machine quite hard and everything froze, lappy AND the mc6000, after trying several ways to get it back up and running, the only success I had was sending the unit through a power cycle and restarting VDJ.
On further research, it seems the Jog Wheels are the reason for the freeze, that and the fact that when to many midi signals are being proccessed it can also cause the same problem.

You can if you try recreate this freeze by scratching both jog wheels at the same time, I do believe there are many possible button pressing combinations that will also cause it, but this seems to recreate it quite fast.

Seems Denon & VDJ are working together to release a firmware update to resolve this. I certainly won't be using it in a live situation though until this firmware is sorted and released, I must also add, part of the reason I went for this was because it's also a stand-alone analogue mixer and that is great for using a channel for backup in case the lappy crashes, but not so good if the whole unit freezes and needs a power recycle to get going again !

I take it VDJ is your software of choice?

Are there similar issues with Traktor???

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I take it VDJ is your software of choice?

Are there similar issues with Traktor???

Same issues with both mate yeah.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-01-2011, 12:18 PM

I was reading about this on the VDJ forum and have tried to recreate the bug, but without success! I was speaking to Gary Job from Denon and he said there is a firmware update for the MC6000 to remedy this due at the beginning of February.

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I was reading about this on the VDJ forum and have tried to recreate the bug, but without success! I was speaking to Gary Job from Denon and he said there is a firmware update for the MC6000 to remedy this due at the beginning of February.

You running internal or P.C mix Daz? 2 Decks or 4? What settings are you using in VDJ Sound Setup? You using this config?

http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/jpboggis/blogs/4365/Denon_DN-MC6000_Configuration

Its good you can't recreate it :) Maybe a batch problem, I don't know, sooner the firmware release the better.

Ecstatic Events
28-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Maybe a batch problem, I don't know, sooner the firmware release the better.

Im glad I didnt rush out and buy one. Id be really frustrated if i couldnt use it in a live situation at gigs.

It's a shame, you'd of thought the unit would of been extensively tested before being pushed out to market. Yet another firmware update needed in a Denon Controllers infancy :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-01-2011, 01:17 PM
You running internal or P.C mix Daz? 2 Decks or 4? What settings are you using in VDJ Sound Setup? You using this config?

http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/jpboggis/blogs/4365/Denon_DN-MC6000_Configuration

Its good you can't recreate it :) Maybe a batch problem, I don't know, sooner the firmware release the better.

2 decks, internal and using the Asio drivers.

Im glad I didnt rush out and buy one. Id be really frustrated if i couldnt use it in a live situation at gigs.

It's a shame, you'd of thought the unit would of been extensively tested before being pushed out to market. Yet another firmware update needed in a Denon Controllers infancy :(

I'm sure they test them to the limit, but you can't possibly know how the software is going to react in everyone else's laptops and PCs and how people have got them set up.

simonp
28-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Ouch - feeling your virtual pain mate - It's a lot of wedge to pay and then get bugs like that.

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I am doing my first gig with mine tonight so fingers crossed. I have tested the MC6000 in the house thoroughly for hours on end without an issue. I am using Traktor Pro 1.2.7

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I am doing my first gig with mine tonight so fingers crossed. I have tested the MC6000 in the house thoroughly for hours on end without an issue. I am using Traktor Pro 1.2.7

Good luck ! :approve:

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Sorry just noticed the questions. Yes I am talking about the reciever, it fits nicely under the MC6000 and can be left wired in.

I am now using a very small laptop tweaked to within an inch of it's life, Win 7 looks like Windows 98 it is so basic but runs beautifully. Running Virtual DJ hooked into an Audio 4 soundcard which goes into the MC6000. I am just waiting on Numark to release the DJ2GO for a bit more control as I hate Djing with a mouse even if it is only for backup.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Running Virtual DJ hooked into an Audio 4 soundcard which goes into the MC6000.

Why the external card?

simonp
28-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Yup, good luck with that mate - out of interest have you got 4 decks up and running with traktor?

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Why the external card?

I thought that too.

The soundcard is connected to my backup laptop and goes into the spare 2 channels on the MC6000. I have never had a laptop crash on me ever but I still like the comfort of having a backup plan ready to go.

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Why the external card?

The external card is for my second laptop with Virtual DJ so I can use 2 decks and cue them separately, the MC6000 runs of my main laptop and Traktor. If I didn't use an extrnal soundcard, I wouldn't be able to cue tracks or mix.

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Yup, good luck with that mate - out of interest have you got 4 decks up and running with traktor?

I can't think of any reason I would want to use 4 decks unless I was doing a Techno night in some club in Ibiza which is highly unlikely at this point in my career. I suppose I kind of have 4 decks spread between 2 on Traktor and 2 on Virtual DJ.

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 02:15 PM
The external card is for my second laptop with Virtual DJ so I can use 2 decks and cue them separately, the MC6000 runs of my main laptop and Traktor. If I didn't use an extrnal soundcard, I wouldn't be able to cue tracks or mix.

So all your backup is running through the MC6000, what if it freezes and needs a restart?

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 02:16 PM
And to answer the question of why, I just like having backup. I have never had a laptop crash in what is now my sixth year of using one live. Having said that, that might change tonight after I have just read the thread on the Denon DJ forum about the MC6000 crashing. I don't see any mention of it happening with Traktor so fingers crossed.

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 02:20 PM
So all your backup is running through the MC6000, what if it freezes and needs a restart?

I knew that was coming.. :) The mixer section of the MC6000 can't crash, it is essentially just a mixer. If the controller section did freeze up as others have reported, I just have to use my backup laptop without a controller until buffet time when I can do a reset. If for some reason the whole controller were to freeze up including the mixer section, I would pull out my backup mixer and connect it up whilst trying not to pass out from nerves.

This is the theory of course and I hope not to have to put it into practice or I may be getting punched for ruining a civil partnership tonight.

Mark Wild
28-01-2011, 02:20 PM
And to answer the question of why, I just like having backup. I have never had a laptop crash in what is now my sixth year of using one live. Having said that, that might change tonight after I have just read the thread on the Denon DJ forum about the MC6000 crashing. I don't see any mention of it happening with Traktor so fingers crossed.

From the Denon forums....
" MC6000 can also lock up with Traktor PRO!

When MC6000 are locked up, Traktor are working fine with the mouse, but no MIDI contact to MC6000..........
I need to restart the MC6000 - not good, and totaly useless to have a "real" mixer when we have to restart the MC6000 to get MIDI working after a hang.

Denon, please work hard to fix this.
The MC6000 are great - and the MIDI hang up is the only problem I can find on the MC6000 - but it is also a big one......."

DJ Tony McQue
28-01-2011, 02:28 PM
From the Denon forums....
" MC6000 can also lock up with Traktor PRO!

When MC6000 are locked up, Traktor are working fine with the mouse, but no MIDI contact to MC6000..........
I need to restart the MC6000 - not good, and totaly useless to have a "real" mixer when we have to restart the MC6000 to get MIDI working after a hang.

Denon, please work hard to fix this.
The MC6000 are great - and the MIDI hang up is the only problem I can find on the MC6000 - but it is also a big one......."

Oh no, I am getting a bit nervous now... :(

Well it does state it 'can lock up', not that it will. I have no doubt that Denon to need to address the issues some people are experiencing, it does sound like too much of a coincidence that many people have experienced this. It may of course be down to the way people have their computers setup (latency too high), laptop full of junk software etc. I shall report back if I have any issues but I have been doing mixing marathons since I got it and have not had any issues as yet.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh no, I am getting a bit nervous now... :(

Well it does state it 'can lock up', not that it will. I have no doubt that Denon to need to address the issues some people are experiencing, it does sound like too much of a coincidence that many people have experienced this. It may of course be down to the way people have their computers setup (latency too high), laptop full of junk software etc. I shall report back if I have any issues but I have been doing mixing marathons since I got it and have not had any issues as yet.

Me neither. Good luck and please report back. :)

DJ Tony McQue
29-01-2011, 12:51 AM
No crashes at my gig earlier I am pleased to report however, I did manage to drop my DMX controller on the power socket and destroyed the first dance by watching the mc6000 lose power! This made Traktor crash but I just had to restart it. For the first time ever, i have had to switch to backup briefly - talk about jinxing myself by saying i have never had to earlier. Could of been one of the worst gigs of my life but thankfully it turned out to be a belter and the grooms both thanked me long and hard.

This might make you laugh - I thought the mc6000 was about to freeze, every few songs I would get a stuttering noise almost like the track was glitching. I switched to the backup whilst I set the latency stupidly high but I was still getting the glitching. It turns out it was a loose cable on my headphones, thankfully I had my skanky Pioneer cans in the cable bucket and the glitching was gone.

So MC6000 performed fine, I was mixing like a maniac, looping, using effects in moderation and using key lock for my dangerous mixes. All fine..

I am now going to have a beer and pass out after my 20 hour day.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice one Tony - glad it went well.

DJ Tony McQue
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Interesting review for anyone considering one:

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/01/review-denon-dn-mc6000-dj-midi-controller/

Mark Wild
03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
After reading the VDJ forums, it seems a fix has been produced for the freezing issues on this unit and is in the process of being tested for final release, they're saying, all being well, the firmware update will be in 3-5 days.

DJ Tony McQue
04-02-2011, 02:40 PM
New Denon firmware:

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/index.php?f=55&t=14282&rb_v=viewtopic#p118141

Now that was quick!

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-02-2011, 02:43 PM
New Denon firmware:

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/index.php?f=55&t=14282&rb_v=viewtopic#p118141

Now that was quick!

Pah! Already got it! :cool:

(Thanks Mark :thumbsup:)

Mark Wild
04-02-2011, 02:53 PM
So far so good, unit taking a beating and no freezes as yet, result ! :D

DJ Tony McQue
04-02-2011, 02:57 PM
So far so good, unit taking a beating and no freezes as yet, result ! :D

Nice one! :beer1:

Got to say although I haven't had the dreaded freeze, it is comforting to know the potential risk of having it freeze on me has now been reduced.

welby
06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Nice one! :beer1:

Got to say although I haven't had the dreaded freeze, it is comforting to know the potential risk of having it freeze on me has now been reduced.

Yeah me too - I'm using it with VDJ Pro and it hasn't frozen once, although I did notice the lag in transmitting midi control signals. This was apparent when setting the volume dials on the mc6000. There was delay in replicating the volume controls in VDJ so you had to be careful not to have it set to full volume! ouch!

I'm happy to report that this has been fixed in the latest revision of software. The new revision allows you a couple of extra tweeks;

1. adjustment of Jog sensitivity
2. adjustment of midi transmission times (midi lag)

It just gets better - the mic input suffers no problems - I have tried cheapo mics and more expensive ones and all works fine.

I was speaking to the denon rep and he hinted that they might opt for reverb instead of the echo option on the mic inputs....hmmmmmm food for thought.

Bottom line I love it.