PDA

View Full Version : Fetes

Tom Lovick
06-12-2010, 09:16 PM
How much would you guys charge for a fête??

Charlie Brown
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I doubt I'd do it but if I did and it was in the day time for a couple of hours - £145?

Tom Lovick
06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Ok cheers charlie was gonna quote around £150ish mark

StarZSoundS
06-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Ok cheers charlie was gonna quote around £150ish mark

Allow for extra equipment....your sound just disappears into thin air when your outside....everything will be working overtime!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jiggles
06-12-2010, 09:56 PM
For a weeks worth of events I got over £1200 for it. Each event was a separate item on the invoice. I think I did about 5-6 events BUT ranging from 1 to 9 hours!

Charlie Brown
06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
What scale is the event Tom?

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2010, 10:55 PM
...and don't forget, you should also get a PPL Mobile DJ Licence, because it's a public event at a venue that won't have it's own licence.

Charlie Brown
06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
I know we like to promote good practise Angela but come on....:lol:

Vectis
06-12-2010, 11:28 PM

It's the law Charlie.

The three summer carnival events that I organise - community projects completely funded by collections and staffed by volunteers - costs over £1200 for PPL. And that's after a generous charity discount...

Charlie Brown
06-12-2010, 11:35 PM
It may well be the law but I think it can dominate what people do nowadays. I know some of the most respected people on this forum have done gigs in public without PPS.

I run my business legally but wouldn't dream of applying for a PPS liscene for a 2 hour small Xmas school fête in the playground. (I'm guessing it's something on this scale Tom?)

I can understand if it's an all day/nighter event for 3000 people.

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I know we like to promote good practise Angela but come on....:lol:As Martin said, it is the law, and I'm not going to tell someone which laws they should obey and which they should break.

It may well be the law but I think it can dominate what people do nowadays. I know some of the most respected people on this forum have done gigs in public without PPS.

I run my business legally but wouldn't dream of applying for a PPS liscene for a 2 hour small Xmas school fête in the playground. (I'm guessing it's something on this scale Tom?)

I can understand if it's an all day/nighter event for 3000 people.The size of the event is irrelevant - the law doesn't make any provision for that.... you are breaking the law without a licence.

As mentioned above, whether you chose to obey the law is up to you, but we should make people aware of it and not suggest that it's stupid to do so.

Charlie Brown
Obviously not. :)

People will hopefully use some commen sense!

Jiggles
There are ways about this that I wont go into...

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM

People will hopefully use some commen sense!...and common sense isn't suggesting to people on a public forum that they break the law.

Vectis
06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
wouldn't dream of applying for a PPS liscene for a 2 hour small Xmas school fête in the playground.

By the same measure, would you dream of driving an uninsured, untaxed car a quarter of a mile to the corner shop?

Charlie Brown
06-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Threads like this frustrate me.

Although it's a public forum - it's for sharing sensible and realistic ideas. Like the laptop humming thread.

You have to be realistic. Although it's illegal and wrong I wonder how many people on here have applied for liscence for a small fête.

What happens in a Marquee? The music travels?

I'm passionate about doing things legally and properly but where do you stop? When I found out someone was illegally downloading music (Dj in notts) I got that wound up Darren had to call me as to calm me down! :lol:

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm passionate about doing things legally and properly Being blunt, Charlie - your posts on here belie that statement sometimes.

We used to have PPL licences, and we used to do quite a few public events such as this as a result. However, when we felt it was no longer commercially viable to pay for the licence as we were only doing one or two a year, we stopped taking those type of events... Simples!

Whether or not you/me/anyone else agrees with the law is another discussion altogether and is, quite frankly, irrelevant, since it's the law we have to live with.

If you were only doing one or two events a year, would you say it's ridiculous to bother with PAT and PLI? (...and neither of those are law)

Dynamic Entertainment
07-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Charlie...A "one-off" event, with a maximum of 500 attendees is only £10.99 + VAT anyway, so not that expensive...

http://www.ppluk.com/files/tariffs/PPLPP002.pdf

Corabar Entertainment
07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Charlie...A "one-off" event, with a maximum of 500 attendees is only £10.99 + VAT anyway, so not that expensive...

http://www.ppluk.com/files/tariffs/PPLPP002.pdfOooh... never seen that one before! (But haven't looked through the multitude of licences in sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long!)

Presumably that one is for the organisers / promoters?

Therefore, the way around the situation is to ensure that your T&Cs provide that the organiser agrees to purchase...etc, etc.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Oooh... never seen that one before! (But haven't looked through the multitude of licences in sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long!)

Presumably that one is for the organisers / promoters?

Therefore, the way around the situation is to ensure that your T&Cs provide that the organiser agrees to purchase...etc, etc.

Not sure, it doesnt say that its specifically for promotors/organisers. It does state that its for background music only...so i suppose its what "background" is defined as.

I would class most summer fetes (etc) as providing background music, as long as your not on the main stage as it were ;)

Corabar Entertainment
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
:agree:

Excalibur
07-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Probably a minefield as always, but for such an event you should obviously try to make sure that the required licences are in place. How would you go on if you were prevented from playing by the authorities because of the lack of a licence? Would your T&C's ensure you got paid? I doubt it.

On a related topic, unless the law has changed, you used to need an alcohol licence if you had a bottle of sherry on the Tombola stall. :eek: :D :D See what I mean about a minefield.

Charlie Brown
07-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Being blunt, Charlie - your posts on here belie that statement sometimes.

Pretty surprised you've said that. Hurt in fact. :(

http://www.ppluk.com/files/tariffs/PPLPP002.pdf

That's different then! Martin said it was a grand plus which isn't realistic for a school fund raiser! :)

See what I mean about a minefield.

Yup!

DeckstarDeluxe
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Sorry Charlie but I'm with Angela on this one. What you have said in this thread has surprised me somewhat.

Charlie Brown
07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
You guys are right. I shouldn't download all my songs from Bearshare and forge my PLI & PAT certificates! I haven't and don't plan on telling the tax man too.

Excalibur
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Pretty surprised you've said that. Hurt in fact. :(

Sorry Charlie but I'm with Angela on this one. What you have said in this thread has surprised me somewhat.

Charlie, I'd expect 99% of folk to line up behind Angela and Neil on this one. This is a public forum, advocating best practice. Breaking the law is rarely best practice.

I'm wearing no halo, cos I'm definitely a "Poacher turned Gamekeeper", but I do know when to be very very careful with what I say in public.

Charlie Brown
07-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Charlie, I'd expect 99% of folk to line up behind Angela and Neil on this one.

Huh? 99% think I do things illegally? :confused:

Vectis
07-12-2010, 08:48 AM
That's different then! Martin said it was a grand plus which isn't realistic for a school fund raiser! :)

Not quite... he didn't quantify the audience, which, depending on the event, runs at between 5 and 10,000 people.

Therefore slightly more than the typical school fayre, but contextually identical.

Excalibur
07-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Huh? 99% think I do things illegally? :confused:

No, you :muppet:

...and don't forget, you should also get a PPL Mobile DJ Licence, because it's a public event at a venue that won't have it's own licence.

I can understand if it's an all day/nighter event for 3000 people.

People will hopefully use some commen sense!

...and common sense isn't suggesting to people on a public forum that they break the law.

The bits in red are the salient points. You've posted in public something which was best aired in private. I'm not whiter than white, I'm barely even grey some days, but you'll never see me suggest anything like that in public. For heavens sake Charlie, please think before you hit reply. Remember that this is a public forum.

Charlie Brown
07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Remember that this is a public forum.

And we are all human? Why be something your not? You guys all told me honesty was the best policy. :shrug:

Excalibur
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
And we are all human? Why be something your not? You guys all told me honesty was the best policy. :shrug:

We're being honest in telling you not to advocate law breaking on a public forum.

Charlie, there's an old proverb ( it would be really, wouldn't it? :D :D )

" Do as I say, not as I do"

Translation: I can tell you how to behave, but since I have failings, I may not behave as well as that myself. I will endeavour to ensure that you do not make the same mistakes I have. Here endeth today's sermon. ;) :D :D :D