PDA

View Full Version : Online Radio

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
So, I will be running an online radio for a few hours a week with my partner in crime. We're setting up tomorrow, and will do some live stuff in the upcoming weeks (summer project).

I just need to test the servers are live over the internet. So if anyone would like to hear a 10 minute loop of a Virtual Sights home made dance track we play at discos that require a club dance feel, then please download the playlist file and have a listen from this link (choose open/run) link removed due to legal issues

More importantly, tell me you can hear it and it works!

Cheers,

Will

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 12:08 AM
So, I will be running an online radio for a few hours a week with my partner in crime. We're setting up tomorrow, and will do some live stuff in the upcoming weeks (summer project).

I just need to test the servers are live over the internet. So if anyone would like to hear a 10 minute loop of a Virtual Sights home made dance track we play at discos that require a club dance feel, then please download the playlist file and have a listen from this link (choose open/run) link removed due to legal issues

Cheers,

Will

It's working loud and clear!

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
So I see! It seems to know about you this end too which is even better!

Who ever said things never work first time eh?

Cheers Darren!

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 12:17 AM
So I see! It seems to know about you this end too which is even better!

Slightly scarey!

I like that first tune - what was it?

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Its one mix Edwin (the dance DJ out of us) mixed, so its just one mp3 looping round to test it out.

The whole track is based around Pendulum, with other stuff mixed in there

Edit: i meant it knows your listening, it doesnt come up with a map to your house, and links to your favourite resturants, which is a shame.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Its one mix Edwin (the dance DJ out of us) mixed, so its just one mp3 looping round to test it out.

The whole track is based around Pendulum, with other stuff mixed in there

Edit: i meant it knows your listening, it doesnt come up with a map to your house, and links to your favourite resturants, which is a shame.
:omg: :omg: :omg:

Listening for the third time and getting slightly bored now :teeth:

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I was kinda wondering why you were still listening lol

I might suggest we do an evening show aswell and base it around the forum users here, for people to email/text requests in, have a DJ discussion over radio or something

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I was kinda wondering why you were still listening lol

I might suggest we do an evening show aswell and base it around the forum users here, for people to email/text requests in, have a DJ discussion over radio or something

Sounds good to me :)

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Um.... don't want to be a party pooper - but what about the legalities of this? Are you covered?

Harrison's Discos
08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
:teeth: :) :teeth:
I think having an online radio show is a great idea. There are so many about these days.

Jiggles
08-08-2006, 01:21 PM

Cheers,

Will

Can hear anything :sad:

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Can hear anything :sad:Do you mean "Can't hear anything" by any chance? :teeth: :embarasse

Jiggles
08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Do you mean "Can't hear anything" by any chance? :teeth: :embarasse

Yes :embarasse

dj_ags
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
The radio is currently broadcasting now...click on the link below.

link removed due to legal issues

Addicted 2 Bass
08-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Its very jumpy?

And you have your mics on a little to high so it goes distorted every time you speak?

But ... great mixing! :D *Thumbs Up*

Josh

dj_ags
08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
If you want to request a song, email the studio, which is

I just thought i'd post the links up to get them more listeners.

Quality show though i must say :thumbs_up

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Hold on a minute.... can I please again say about the legalities: DO YOU HAVE A LICENCE TO DO THIS?????????

dj_ags
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Last half an hour of the show, so if you would like to tune in...then by all means do so.

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Sorry, but are you reading my posts? We can't be seen to be promoting 'pirate' radio - please stop posting 'plugs' until we get the answer!!! :mad:

dj_ags
08-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Sorry, but are you reading my posts? We can't be seen to be promoting 'pirate' radio - please stop posting 'plugs' until we get the answer!!! :mad:

I was only trying to get them a few more listeners and promote their show. They are playing some top music but i do take your point about the pirate radio, and as a result, I won't plug it anymore on the forum until it is more appropriate to do so.

Apologies :embarasse

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Can hear anything :sad:

We were having lunch just then at 2.20pm

The station isnt technically legal. However, we can't broadcast to more than 15 people without our servers falling over, so we're not broadcasting on mass to millions.

All the music you hear is played on bought CDs through a standard DJ setup then pumped through the internet. This is a summer project, and wont be on for any more than a further 5 weeks.

Our shows are short, today we've played for no more than 2 hours.

Danno13
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I caught the last 20 mins or so... good job guys! I enjoyed listening.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks to Danno for this link from another forum.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/internet.html

Danno13
08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Yep.. sorry, i was going to reply with that link here as well. Also, going by that article i'd suggest just signing up to Live365 and using that, then you won't have any legal issues...

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I caught the last 20 mins or so... good job guys! I enjoyed listening.
Glad you enjoyed it, today was only a test run, we didnt think we'd end up advertising for people to listen.

Unfortunetly, we cant broadcast again till next tuesday, same sort of time, although we might start earlier and end a little later.

Jiggles
08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Glad you enjoyed it, today was only a test run, we didnt think we'd end up advertising for people to listen.

Unfortunetly, we cant broadcast again till next tuesday, same sort of time, although we might start earlier and end a little later.

Why?

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Why?So he can sort out his registration with Live365 in the interim????? :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 05:47 PM
So he can sort out his registration with Live365 in the interim????? :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
lol, afraid thats not the reason. The main reason however is, we don't have a free day, and we wont be broadcasting friday night or over the weekend because there arnt enough people to listen. - That and we'll be busy!

I might suggest we do Thursday evening to Edwin. Failing that I might start my own show, on my own, however it just wont be the same for us!

Candybeatdiscos
08-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Again sorry to be a party pooper...but what you are doing is totally illegal and can cost you your equiptment. I know a bit about online and live radio given the fact that last year i spent a year trying to set up a community based radio station.

Unless you have paid £4000 for the relevent online licenses then its illegal, wether one or 1billion people are listening.

Its why so many internet stations based in UK had to close including some of these "100% Legal" stations.

Just be careful and as a memo to the forum you are advertising a pirate station and must watch what your doing.

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, fair enough, thats a fair comment.

We may take some risks, but there are thousands of pirate radio stations out there at anyone time, and due to this I know we'll be ok for the 5 weeks we'll be broadcasting during the summer, I've done a bit of broadcasting before, on longer sets of time and its never been a probelm.

What we're doing is having a bit of fun, yeah taking a risk, but thats fine, we're just living a little. We're not making a dime from what we're doing, Just as i say having some fun, and letting a few others enjoy listening.

If the forum mods/admins want to remove this from the forums because they feel they could get into trouble for a link or 2, thats ok. I totally understand, however we'll continue for the 5 weeks, as we mainly have listeners our age, from our local area.

Totally a peaceful post, nothing negative to you or any one :)

Corabar Steve
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Links have been removed due to legal issues

funkymike
08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Why not either do a live show or pre record and send to a legit net station like www.qmr.fm and then get a weekly slot if you can.

Corabar Steve
08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Why not either do a live show or pre record and send to a legit net station like www.qmr.fm and then get a weekly slot if you can.
It would still be illegal even if it's broadcast live.

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah could do, although as said its only a temp thing.

funkymike
08-08-2006, 09:12 PM

Think your find there are 100% legal :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2006, 09:26 PM
As I understand it, it's legal to to live mixes / edits at a gig, but to 'broadcast' any copyright material needs licences, and the link that Darren posted up earlier about internet radio also said that you must...... it's equivalent to doing a public gig, you need to pay your dues.

Corabar Steve
08-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Think your find there are 100% legal :teeth:
Not without a licence, I wasn't refering to being broadcast on another (legal) station

edwin
08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Licencing internet radio does not cost £4000. I have just been doing some research and found that LoudCity offer it for a very reasonable sum. The station may be back in a new legal form very soon :)

Candybeatdiscos
09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper again m8, but Loudcity do not give you a license, only OFCOM can provide you with a internet radio license.

It sounds to me that loudcity perhaps offer you a portal to broadcast from and may even pay a large majority of the fee in order to allow you to broadcast, but look into the small print regarding the amount of songs your allowed to play etc

edwin
09-08-2006, 04:57 PM
There is no magical 100% legal way of broadcasting radio online, even if you have the licence to broadcast FM, it doesn't let you do it online. The only real way to do it is to go to each artist whos song you play, and agree on an amount to pay them. There are holes upon holes regarding legality of online radio. Tough area.

Corabar Steve
09-08-2006, 08:43 PM
BBC6Music seem to do alright online, as do Virgin, are you telling me they have to contact every artist they broadcast?

Alex - Cream Ents
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Legal this, royalties that - buy yourself a boat and a TruMatch FM antenna and have a field day...

I never knew you could get in trouble for having a "podcast" style mix or radio show? Apparently it is - but I wouldn't worry that much. I'm such a rebel. :omg:

edwin
09-08-2006, 09:30 PM
BBC can do pretty much anything they want - they're allowed to play bootlegs and stuff, which no licence I've ever seen covers. Virgin not only have their own record label, they have also bought every different licence under the sun, and have a team of very highly paid laywers. That is where they differ from me :sad:

Corabar Steve
09-08-2006, 09:33 PM
So they don't have to contact the artists concerned then, thought not.

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2006, 09:33 PM
they're allowed to play bootlegs and stuff, No they're not!
Virgin not only have their own record label,...but they certainly don't just play their own label artists!

I think the reason Steve mentioned the 'big boys' is because you suggested that no on-line broadcasting was legal.

Corabar Steve
09-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I think the reason Steve mentioned the 'big boys' is because you suggested that no on-line broadcasting was legal.
Indeed.

BTW I think Virgin Records & Virgin Radio are actually owned by 2 diferent companies. One was sold off I believe & is not owned by Branson

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2006, 09:39 PM
They are both still part of the Virgin group of companies

edwin
09-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Radio 1 are allowed to play white labels and bootlegs that will never get formally allowed to hit the shops.

And I never said that Virgin do play just their own stuff, but there really is no way of being completely legal with online broadcasting unless you do pay each individual artist. The PPL licence doesn't cover you, LoudCity doesnt...it seems you need to set up your own licence and have already bought an FM licence.

Corabar Steve
09-08-2006, 09:42 PM
but there really is no way of being completely legal with online broadcasting unless you do pay each individual artist.
That would be what broadcast royalties are for.

edwin
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Yes but there are no specific broadcast royalties for online radio - they all refer to FM radio.

Thanks for the knowledge though guys - this is actually quite an interesting topic - i know more about it that ever now :)

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Just noticed something about it on the PPL website as well

edwin
09-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah - I have researched the PPL Internet Radio licence, and it does not cover you fully - if I bought it and then broadcast commercia music over the internet, I would still technically be breaking the law.

Corabar Steve
09-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah - I have researched the PPL Internet Radio licence, and it does not cover you fully - if I bought it and then broadcast commercia music over the internet, I would still technically be breaking the law.
How ridiculous!, but that's PPL licences for you :teeth:

edwin
09-08-2006, 10:27 PM
haha - yup. Good 'ole PPL

dj andy allwood
21-08-2006, 07:39 AM
its about £40 you have to pay the artist everytime you play there song, even if your the bbc or whoever else!
:)
imagine having a number 1 and all the radio stations playing it all the time nice!!!
:)
pete tong judge jules etc etc often play bootlegs on radio 1 so im guessing they are allowed unless they have a huge fine to pay and thats why our tv licence's are going up AGAIN!!! :mad: