PDA

View Full Version : They don't sound like "Motown", but they are

Corabar Steve
09-12-2010, 07:38 AM
YouTube - R. Dean Taylor - There's A Ghost In My House - Tamla-Motown - Northern Soul - 45rpm

YouTube - Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

YouTube - stevie wonder "cherie amour"

YouTube - MICHAEL JACKSON - BEN [Music Video]

YouTube - The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

YouTube - Commodores - Three times a lady

:sj:

StarZSoundS
09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
YouTube - R. Dean Taylor - There's A Ghost In My House - Tamla-Motown - Northern Soul - 45rpm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3JE4pLu6p0)

YouTube - Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY)

YouTube - stevie wonder "cherie amour" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OlG2ek-wzs)

YouTube - MICHAEL JACKSON - BEN [Music Video] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bverx-nMWQ)

YouTube - The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM_6KZn1Tw)

YouTube - Commodores - Three times a lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ruDqdZn_s)

:sj:

Good Idea too.....

Its Motown week on the Forum:) :) :) :) :) :)

Heaven!!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Link between Rare Earth, R Dean Taylor, and Kiki Dee anyone? :confused: ;) :D :D Virtual pint for the winner, Steve's banned from entering. :D :D

Freda Payne-Band of Gold. Is that Motown? :whistle: ( Careful now. ;) ;) ;) )

To follow in Steve's revered footsteps:
Boyz II Men. Motown label, yet should never have been allowed within a hundred miles of the studio.

More if I remember.

yourdj
09-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Ben has to be the worst piece of music from the 70's. IMO
I got asked for that at a prestigious yaught club and it was the only track they danced too.
What is wrong with them. :(

soundtracker
09-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Ben has to be the worst piece of music from the 70's. IMO
I got asked for that at a prestigious yaught club and it was the only track they danced too.
What is wrong with them. :(

Sorry Toby, but not even the worst 70's song on Motown!!!

YouTube - I've Never Been To Me by Charlene with lyrics

Link between Rare Earth, R Dean Taylor, and Kiki Dee anyone? :confused: ;) :D :D Virtual pint for the winner, Steve's banned from entering. :D :D

Boyz II Men. Motown label, yet should never have been allowed within a hundred miles of the studio.

More if I remember.

Rare Earth, R Dean Taylor, and Kiki Dee - all white Motown recording artists

Freda Payne was released on Invictus so no!

TONYTIGER
09-12-2010, 12:03 PM
As a bit of a Northern Soul Buff R Dean Taylor would never be in my Motown collection ,off topic did you know Tony Blackburn started in a Northern Soul Band ,Name anyone ? ( and i dont have the answer)

deltic
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM

More if I remember.

i am gonna take a chance they are the only white artists signed to tamla label

deltic
09-12-2010, 12:12 PM
As a bit of a Northern Soul Buff R Dean Taylor would never be in my Motown collection ,off topic did you know Tony Blackburn started in a Northern Soul Band ,Name anyone ? ( and i dont have the answer)

didn't know he was in a band though did release under the name of lenny gamble

soundtracker
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Definitely not the only!

Corabar Steve
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
As a bit of a Northern Soul Buff R Dean Taylor would never be in my Motown collection
You might want to have a look at the label then

TONYTIGER
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
You might want to have a look at the label then

I know he was on MT but this tune has no relevance to the MT sound and IMO would not include it in a MT slot as said would go in my Northern Soul Spot.
I always thought it was strange he was signed to them but perhaps some of his other material was more akin to that type of sound but i don,t know his stuff other than this one.

Corabar Entertainment
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Tony... have you read the title to this thread?

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Freda Payne was released on Invictus so no!
True. But not necessarily correct. I did urge caution. ;) ;) :D :D
Tamla owned many other labels, and Invictus ( Invicta? ) was one of those. Since Band of Gold is absolutely classic Tamla in every respect bar the name in the middle of the record, I have no problem in regarding it as bona fide Tamla. ( MInd you, punters often seem to have no problem regarding many things as Tamla, when they're way way off course. )

And as for the divide between Northern Soul and Tamla, well I'm not even going to offer any views on that, I'm not qualified to comment.

Rare Earth, R Dean Taylor, and Kiki Dee - all white Motown recording artists

Pete's closest. They are the first white Group, Male artist, and Female artist to join the label. Now why is a completely different matter, and I have no views or info on that.

yourdj
09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Sorry Toby, but not even the worst 70's song on Motown!!!

"who left cake out in the rain" has to top that crap :D

There should be a genre created called craptown for rubbish 70's music.

YouTube - Donna Summer MacArthur Park

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-12-2010, 04:06 PM
MacArthur Park you mean?

TONYTIGER
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Tony... have you read the title to this thread?

Yes, but this song was released on VIP which was a sister label owned by MT that,s what it says on my copy that i have just dug out of the attic,maybe its rare and i am rich.:)

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes, but this song was released on VIP which was a sister label owned by MT that,s what it says on my copy that i have just dug out of the attic,maybe its rare and i am rich.:)

Must be rare. The album of his which I owned many many years ago, bore the Tamla Motown legend.

TONYTIGER
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Must be rare. The album of his which I owned many many years ago, bore the Tamla Motown legend.

That must be Indiana Wants Me which was on MT he had two other albums one on Polydor and the other on Rare Earth.

His original Ghost in my House 1967 was on VIP re released at a later date on MT
Just to clear things up.:)

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
That must be Indiana Wants Me which was on MT he had two other albums one on Polydor and the other on Rare Earth.

His original Ghost in my House 1967 was on VIP re released at a later date on MT
Just to clear things up.:)

Yup. :thumbs_up:

soundtracker
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
True. But not necessarily correct. I did urge caution. ;) ;) :D :D
Tamla owned many other labels, and Invictus ( Invicta? ) was one of those. Since Band of Gold is absolutely classic Tamla in every respect bar the name in the middle of the record, I have no problem in regarding it as bona fide Tamla. ( MInd you, punters often seem to have no problem regarding many things as Tamla, when they're way way off course. )

Umm! No! The reason that Invictus records sound like Motown is that it was set up by Holland Dozier Holland, the former Motown house writers, who left to form their own record label, originally called Hot Wax, and then Invictus. But no, it was never part of Motown. By the way, you have inadvertently strayed into my favourite subject!

funkymook
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
So what's the difference between Northern Soul and Soul and Motown then?

:devil:

soundtracker
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM

:devil: Soul music is a combination of R'n'b and gospel music originating in North America, Northern soul is a music and dance movement that came out of the mod scene, initially in the North of England in the late 1960s and Motown is a record label, not a musical genre.

TONYTIGER
09-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Soul music is a combination of R'n'b and gospel music originating in North America, Northern soul is a music and dance movement that came out of the mod scene, initially in the North of England in the late 1960s and Motown is a record label, not a musical genre.

Like Wigan Pier .:) I have a huge collection of Northern Soul i will post a few classics ones when i get a mo.

STEVE HANLEY
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
A lot of my mates were heavily into the Northern soul scene and I seem to remember Band of gold and There's a ghost in my house being in their record collections. Also needle in a haystack, which also just happens to be on a Motown album I have :shrug:

Corabar Steve
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Soul music is a combination of R'n'b and gospel music originating in North America, Northern soul is a music and dance movement that came out of the mod scene, initially in the North of England in the late 1960s and Motown is a record label, not a musical genre.
Correct:sj:

Corabar Entertainment
09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Like Wigan Pier .:) I have a huge collection of Northern Soul i will post a few classics ones when i get a mo.

That'd be great, Tony!

Pop them in here:- http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15377&highlight=northern

so they'll be easy to find when anyone wants to refer to it :approve:

funkymook
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM

A succint explanation - thank you.

Corabar Steve
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Like you didn't already know Martin :P

Tony, you might want to click on the R Dean Taylor video & have a look at the very first thing you see.

StarZSoundS
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
The production on Northern Soul tunes don't always sound great to me.....

Rarther like they were thrown together in someones front room....

Notwithstanding that....there were some really memorable tunes...

One of my favourites and a must play at most of my gigs!!

Dean Parrish ....I'm on my way!!

StarZSoundS
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
YouTube - Dean Parrish I'm On My Way

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

funkymook
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Caught out! The devil in me wondered if I could start the what is what isn't debate again! But that's the best explanantion I've seen in a couple of lines - respect! :)

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Umm! No! The reason that Invictus records sound like Motown is that it was set up by Holland Dozier Holland, the former Motown house writers, who left to form their own record label, originally called Hot Wax, and then Invictus. But no, it was never part of Motown. By the way, you have inadvertently strayed into my favourite subject!
Hmmmmmmm. So no chance of bluffing you on this one? :( :( :o :o
:youdaman:

BTW, that makes sense of something. I've got an album called " H-D-H, the best of Hot Wax".

:devil:
Don't mention that, I did once, and I think I got away with it. :D :D

Oh no, not another one. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Caught out! The devil in me wondered if I could start the what is what isn't debate again! But that's the best explanantion I've seen in a couple of lines - respect! :)

Well don't expect me to offer any views mate. I've been shot down once already. :o :o :o

And Starzsounds, I've never noticed poor production on NS records, but I have noticed a lot of energy.

funkymook
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Charlene - I've Never Been To Me

soundtracker
09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Charlene - I've Never Been To Me

:p See post no: 5!!

funkymook
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
:p See post no: 5!!

But it's worth mentioning twice! :o

StarZSoundS
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Is anybody getting dizzy with these two threads???

You to me ....me to you.

TONYTIGER
10-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Tony, you might want to click on the R Dean Taylor video & have a look at the very first thing you see.

1974 version not the original ,as i said 1967 VIP ,R Dean Taylor was only really signed to MT for his song writing ability he wrote many hits for well known recording artist like The Four Tops and so on and never had much success as a recording artist compared to the people he wrote for.
The reason it was re released was because of the Northern Soul fad in the UK which i was part off.There was even a Band called Wigan,s Ovation who had a hit with Skiing in the Snow to cash in on the craze they were rubbish and i should know as i went on tour with them.
I still play some Northern in my set today and Out On The Floor still works very well.

Corabar Steve
10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Do you ever play Johnny Jones's version of Purple Haze?

soundtracker
10-12-2010, 09:29 AM
1974 version not the original ,as i said 1967 VIP ,R Dean Taylor was only really signed to MT for his song writing ability he wrote many hits for well known recording artist like The Four Tops and so on and never had much success as a recording artist compared to the people he wrote for.
The reason it was re released was because of the Northern Soul fad in the UK which i was part off.There was even a Band called Wigan,s Ovation who had a hit with Skiing in the Snow to cash in on the craze they were rubbish and i should know as i went on tour with them.
I still play some Northern in my set today and Out On The Floor still works very well.

The problem with the 1974 release (TMG896) is that it is dated 1966!, the catalogue number however is a 1974 number if you cross reference with other motown releases that year (e.g Diana Ross - All of my Life TMG 880) The other clue is that Gotta see Jane (1968) was TMG 656, but on its re-release in 74 became TMG 918.
I have seen reference to There's a ghost being issued on Motown in 1966, but this may well be someone being mis-led by the date on TMG896 - TMG are British Catalogue numbers, I can't track a US number for it, apart from the VIP one.

Corabar Steve
10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
It was still released on Motown regardless of when it was, thus it qualifies for this thread.

I rest my case M'laud

StarZSoundS
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
It was still released on Motown regardless of when it was, thus it qualifies for this thread.

But.........I think it sounds like Motown anyway!!!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Corabar Steve
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
What? Badly produced & lacking in bass?

StarZSoundS
10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
What? Badly produced & lacking in bass?

I could imagine The Temptations,The Isleys or Four Tops doing it!!;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Corabar Steve
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd like to here the Four Tops doing it. Not so sure about the Isley Brothers or the Temptations though.

StarZSoundS
10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I'd like to here the Four Tops doing it. Not so sure about the Isley Brothers or the Temptations though.

Anyway two good threads....I'm learning a lot AND having a Motown Christmas as well.......:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

TONYTIGER
10-12-2010, 10:24 AM
[quote=StarZSoundS;496220]Anyway two good threads....I'm learning a lot AND having a Motown Christmas as well.......:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :

TONYTIGER
10-12-2010, 10:28 AM

I rest my case M'laud

No Guilty M,laud but i will send you a CD as a Christmas present loaded whith lots of obscure Northern Soul as you are such a nice man .:beer1:

TONYTIGER
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Do you ever play Johnny Jones's version of Purple Haze?

The big tune on the Northern Soul scene with that title was" Diplomats Purple Haze" don,t know if they are the same tune ?

Corabar Steve
10-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Johnny Jones & the King Casuals - Purple Haze (as in the Hendrix track).

I can't believe I typed here instead of hear earlier (I had only just got up. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it)

Excalibur
10-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Johnny Jones & the King Casuals - Purple Haze (as in the Hendrix track).

I can't believe I typed here instead of hear earlier (I had only just got up. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it)

And I can't believe I didn't lambast you vociferously for doing so, even though it leapt off the screen at me. I must be mellowing in my old age. :D

Corabar Steve
23-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Off topic (because it was released on Brunswick) but here is the track in question

YouTube - purple haze ....johnny jones & the king casuals