PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound unreasonable

gaza
09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi people
Do think that i am being unfair to ask to be paid more for a gig after finding out that the Event is now being held in a function room upstairs.

Here is how the situation came about.

I was booked to do a new years eve Part by a hotel, when the lady booked me the hotel was closed for a £1.2 million pound refurbishment:eek:
She was very vague with the details because the hotel was closed and it was going to look verry different when finished. Now i tried to contact the lady about six weeks ago and got no reply, then this week i got an email from her telling me that she had now left the company and she gave me the new managers name and contact details. So i spoke to the new contact at the site and he has asked me to meet him on Monday to go over a few things.

When speaking to him i asked him if the function was taking place in the bar area or the restaurant and he said that it would be in the new funtion room upstairs, so i told him that there would be be an additional charge because of the stairs, but he said he just thought that as i was booked allready that should be that and it should not matter.

I told him what the new price will be and that he should check with his head office to make sure that they are ok with this and i will have to send another or ammended invoice to them, they have only paid the deposit at the moment. I did say to him that if they are not happy i would return their deposit to them.

So do you guys think that i am out of order doing this?

mike8863
09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I think you've been more than fair, especially offering to return the deposit, considering the refurb wasn't your doing!!!.
Good Luck:beer1:

Shakermaker Promotions
09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't think you are being out of order at all, however, it seems from that the information you have given us here that the new manager doesn't seem impressed with the new price.

I think it depends on how you word things to be honest. If you said something along the lines of "The quotation I gave was based on the information that was originally provided".

As the situation as changed then I would personally say that I would need to issue them with a new booking form and quotation...If I was going to go down that avenue. Sometimes I think that (although it's a pain), it's a 'grin and bear' it situation. You could lose the booking at the end of the day if the new manager gets the hump.

Shaun
09-12-2010, 11:00 AM
So do you guys think that i am out of order doing this?

I don't think you are. I know a lot of DJs don't charge extra for stairs but I do. My prices are based on a ground level access. Anywhere with flights of stairs and I charge extra, unless there is a lift I can access.

Charlie Brown
09-12-2010, 11:01 AM
It's fair but I wouldn't have said anything.

Shakermaker Promotions
09-12-2010, 11:04 AM
On this occasion Charlie, I agree with you.
As I said, because it has already been mentioned to the new manager (and rightly so!), I think there's no turning back now as he already seems to have the hump about it.

Charlie Brown
09-12-2010, 11:11 AM
On this occasion Charlie, I agree with you.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
It will depend on the original T&C's, how difficult the new access is, and the original price. From the information given, I wouldn't be using the word "unreasonable" to describe our hero just yet.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
If your contract says the price is based on ground floor access then I think it's fair to charge more.

Vectis
09-12-2010, 11:15 AM
It's fair but I wouldn't have said anything.

Half agree.

I would have made it clear to the new manager that this would normally be a blah blah situation, but on this occasion only the extra charge would be waived.

Might buy you some repeat work, or at the very least ensure that particular manager thinks you're a reasonable guy.

Excalibur
If your contract says the price is based on ground floor access then I think it's fair to charge more.

Tale to tell about that, but it will have to wait.

Charlie Brown

Does yours?

Have you ever arrived at a venue and asked for more dosh because there are stairs you didn't know about?

soundtracker

Yeah, as Daz (and Peter) says, depends what your contract or T & Cs say, however my propensity to not rock the boat would depend upon how importantly I viewed further bookings at the venue

Jonathan Ford
09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, as Daz (and Peter) says, depends what your contract or T & Cs say, however my propensity to not rock the boat would depend upon how importantly I viewed further bookings at the venue

I think this is key. If you have a long term relationship to protect, or even one that you are hoping to win, then it may be worth swallowing this in the long term interest. However, if it's just a one shot deal, then go for it.

Now that you've already raised the issue, it will be difficult to change your stance without looking like a walkover.

Shakermaker Promotions
09-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Have you ever arrived at a venue and asked for more dosh because there are stairs you didn't know about?

I have arrived at a venue before when there were stairs that I wasn't told about. I couldn't visit the venue in advance as it was in London and was a corporate party in an office. There is a line on my booking form that says "Is access to the venue via stairs or a lift?" and this was left clear. It was a late booking too and forms were emailed through etc.

As I was getting paid a decent whack for the gig, I didn't say anything on arrival and just got on with it but I wasn't impressed and in the end I used the lift so it wasn't such a big deal.

I don't think I would actually have the cheek (for want of a better word), to turn around on arrival and say "Sorry, can't unload as yet until you pay me another £xxx because of the access problems".

TONYTIGER
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I see no money mentioned in the conversation how much extra is a set of stairs price wise ,if its not a great amount i would roll with it but only if you would like more work at the venue ,also point out that if you do get more work the price will reflect the stairs,but on this occasion you will let it go as a gesture of goodwill.

Sorry my thoughts posted at the same time as much the same advice from others.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I would of kept stum about any extra charge. I would rather the work with difficult access than losing the work.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Does yours?

Never - I always check out access beforehand. If it's a venue I've never been to, I either make a visit or email them.

I don't charge extra for venues with stairs and never have. I see it as part of the job. However, if it was a venue with 8 flights and no lift, then it might be a different matter!

Shakermaker Promotions
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Same here Darren!

I don't charge for travelling within a certain mileage and I don't charge extra for early access or difficult access....well, not that the customer would know anyway because I don't advertise prices.

I get the information from the customer first and then work out the quotation on that. If (for example) my usual fee was £400.00 and someone called up enquiring about a gig and I knew the venue was a pain, then I would work out something to cover that pain in the backside. Not sure what though!?

DJ James Lake
09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I think its perfectly acceptable to charge an extra fee for functions rooms not situated on a ground floor.

With my rigs even the smallest it can add an additional 1/2 hour each side of the a gig when stairs are involved just to get the kit in an out which means an extra hour on site.

I am in this as a business and believe this should be chargeable. I charge an additional £50 for function rooms not located on the ground floor. Clients dont seem to mind as I explain the reason for the charge and the fact I need to take a roadie to assist.

DazzyD
09-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Half agree.

I would have made it clear to the new manager that this would normally be a blah blah situation, but on this occasion only the extra charge would be waived.

Might buy you some repeat work, or at the very least ensure that particular manager thinks you're a reasonable guy.

I see no money mentioned in the conversation how much extra is a set of stairs price wise ,if its not a great amount i would roll with it but only if you would like more work at the venue ,also point out that if you do get more work the price will reflect the stairs,but on this occasion you will let it go as a gesture of goodwill.

Sorry my thoughts posted at the same time as much the same advice from others.

Whilst I don't think that charging extra is unreasonable, I'd have to agree with the majority of responses on here. I always try to check out a venue before hand or, at the very least, ring the venue to speak to someone who can give me the info I need. If the venue has a flight of stairs then no problem. If it's on the fifth floor then maybe. I also have a roadie anyway so extra help is not usually needed.

gaza
09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Just to update people.

the manager has just phoned to say that they are ok with paying the extra £100 because of the stairs.:)

Thanks for all your thoughts.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
£100?

How tall are these stairs? :O

gaza
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
£100?

Ist floor.

Charlie Brown
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
That's really silly.

Unless you realised you didn't quote enough originally so thought you could wing another £100 to cover it? You'll either do it for a decent fee or not at all and go out?

Shaun
09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
That's really silly.

Unless you realised you didn't quote enough originally so thought you could wing another £100 to cover it? You'll either do it for a decent fee or not at all and go out?

These types of posts are why I never discuss any aspects of my pricing on forums. Surely whatever anyone charges is up to them. Then ultimately it's up to the client to decide if the price is do'able. Whether he charges £10, £100 or a thousand quid for stairs, it's nobodies business but his own and his clients.

Rule#1 for posting on forums: Never talk about your pricing as there's always somebody with an opinion. ;)

soundtracker
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
These types of posts are why I never discuss any aspects of my pricing on forums. Surely whatever anyone charges is up to them. Then ultimately it's up to the client to decide if the price is do'able. Whether he charges £10, £100 or a thousand quid for stairs, it's nobodies business but his own and his clients.

Rule#1 for posting on forums: Never talk about your pricing as there's always somebody with an opinion. ;)

correct!

Mark Wild
09-12-2010, 02:51 PM

I agree ! But he has stated his price and my opinion is BLIMEY ! £100 ! I'd worry about repeat bookings at this venue now, if I was you.

"That guy was really good and it was a great night, shame he charges £100 extra for the stairs"

Corabar Entertainment
09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
...and I'd even go further to say that - regardless of what I think of the additional fee - I found this post...

That's really silly.

Unless you realised you didn't quote enough originally so thought you could wing another £100 to cover it? You'll either do it for a decent fee or not at all and go out?rather rude and condescending!

If I was Gary, I'd be rather miffed!

Shakermaker Promotions
09-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, I find myself agreeing with almost everybody today.
I found that really rude aswell.
Charlie, you do yourself no favours whatsoever sometimes. A fair majority of the time you impress with your manner and the way you go about things but every now and then you just show your immaturity. Sorry, I know it sounds harsh but think before you post mate.

I know I've done it too and more than likely everyone has at some point but as Shaun said, it's between the OP and the customer what he charges.

Someone asked me the other day what I charge and I didn't answer....this is a classic example as to why I don't. What some people may think is outrageous, others may think it is perfectly acceptable.

Charlie Brown
09-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Well I apologise if it causes any offence Gary. Hopefully you'll take it as a pinch of salt. Some people do find faults so they can increase the quote - in any line of work. £100 to walk up a flight of stairs is ludicrous. £50 absolute max IMO.

Corabar Entertainment
09-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Well I apologise if it causes any offence Gary. Hopefully you'll take it as a pinch of salt. Some people do find faults so they can increase the quote - in any line of work. £100 to walk up a flight of stairs is ludicrous. £50 absolute max IMO.... and there you go again!

Apologise one second, and then be even more rude the next!

Think about how you are wording your posts, Charlie, as I've noticed this creeping in to quite a few of your posts recently.

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 03:42 PM

And quite possibly on the attitude and general demeanour of the management. ;) ;)

I see no money mentioned in the conversation how much extra is a set of stairs price wise ,.
There are stairs, and there are stairs. ;) ;)

Never - I always check out access beforehand. If it's a venue I've never been to, I either make a visit or email them.

Wise course of action though that is, it still depends on the venue staff having even a modicum of interest, and some brain cells that haven't died of loneliness. ;)

Just to update people.

the manager has just phoned to say that they are ok with paying the extra £100 because of the stairs.:)

How much? :zip:

£100?

Sounds like they require a team of Sherpas, and crampons. :eek: :D :D

Shaun
09-12-2010, 03:54 PM
How much? :zip:

Surely it depends on the stairs? ;)

http://janjanzendaily.com/wp-content/uploads/tikal-brenda-and-adrian-climbing-up-temple-5.jpg

Mark Wild
09-12-2010, 03:58 PM

:lol: Love it :D :beer1:(and how steep they are)

Shaun
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
:lol: Love it :D :beer1:(and how steep they are)

You win! :lol:

Those stairs are just outrageous...lol.

Excalibur
09-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Like I said....................................

There are stairs, and there are stairs. ;) ;)

You win! :lol:

Those stairs are just outrageous...lol.

I know some in Goole that resemble Mark's piccy very closely!!!!!!:eek: :eek: I left a lot of kit in the van that night. :o :o

gaza
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
That's really silly.

Charlie, behave or i will hide your tan lotion:D

I agree ! But he has stated his price and my opinion is BLIMEY ! £100 ! I'd worry about repeat bookings at this venue now, if I was you.

Charlie, thanks for pm, apology accepted
Thanks

"That guy was really good and it was a great night, shame he charges £100 extra for the stairs"

Not that interested in repeat work in a venue with stairs.

gaza
09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Charlie

Thanks for the pm, appology accepted:)

Mark Wild
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Not that interested in repeat work in a venue with stairs.

Well, happy days then :)

Daryll
09-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Daryll

gaza
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I have actualy done some gigs where i had not checked out the venue and when i turned up on the event night to find the gig was on the first floor and i have not charged any extra and did not mention the extra work involved to the client.

As i said in the op i took the booking when the venue in question was closed for a major refurb and the details were very vague indeed.
Then over the next few months i turned down a couple of new years eve gigs where the customer had the same budget and those gigs were in small pubs with an easy set up. so when i was told that this hotel gig was going to be upstairs i thought, there is no way that i am going to do this gig for the same price, so i pushed for a little extra for added work and the venue agreed.

I am used to carrying very heavy photocopiers up stairs so iam not affraid of a bit of hard work, but in this case i thought, if you ask you dont get.

DB Entertainments
10-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Charlie has a Valid Point and has probably hit the nail on the head x

DazzyD
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I know Charlie's apologised and it's been accepted but I think there's a more serious issue here.

What if the client was checking out this forum and saw these comments and thought "Wait a minute! These DJs think the charge is too much so I must be being ripped off!" and then cancelled the booking? Careless talk costs lives (or livelihoods).

At the end of the day what a service provider charges is purely between him and his client.

Shaun
10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I honestly don't think £100.00 is that bad. For arguments sake let's assume that you would normally charge half of that (give or take) for stairs access. The gig we're discussing in this thread is on NYE! If a roadie needs to be employed on that date then it's double rate for them too. So the £100.00 no longer seems a high charge when it's to cover the cost of extra staffing.

Without mentioning prices, I've charged slightly more than that for a really tricky access in the past......and it wasn't on NYE. Extra workload means extra time on site, and in the case I've just mentioned.... Extra Staff. Those costs are ultimately passed onto the clients. Business is business, we shouldn't be out of pocket when really tricky access calls for extra manpower and/or extra time on-site. Now, some people don't charge extra for stairs or tricky access, and that's their prerogative, just as it's the prerogative of those that do choose to charge extra.

As Dazzy & I have said...."what a service provider charges is purely between him and his client."

gaza
10-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I know Charlie's apologised and it's been accepted but I think there's a more serious issue here.

What if the client was checking out this forum and saw these comments and thought "Wait a minute! These DJs think the charge is too much so I must be being ripped off!" and then cancelled the booking? Careless talk costs lives (or livelihoods).

At the end of the day what a service provider charges is purely between him and his client.

If the function had been in the new bare area on the ground floor i would not have had to ask for extra money for the extra work.

Excalibur
10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I honestly don't think £100.00 is that bad. The gig we're discussing in this thread is on NYE! If a roadie needs to be employed on that date then it's double rate for them too. So the £100.00 no longer seems a high charge when it's to cover the cost of extra staffing.

Ah, my mistake, I hadn't realised it was NYE. That would indeed put a different complexion on things. And as to whether the price charged is reasonable, as I've tried to say more than once, we haven't seen the access. I might take one look at it, and decide £150 was a fair price.

ppentertainments
10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
This summer I actually got a booking because I DID charge extra for the difficult load in.

The venue is a bit of a nightmare and I explained the only way I could do it would be to setup early. The client booked straight away because she was aware of this and I was the only DJ to consider this obstacle. I later found out the client was at a wedding at the same venue where the DJ turned up half an hour before due to start, took one look and went home :eek: :eek:

Excalibur
10-12-2010, 03:55 PM
This summer I actually got a booking because I DID charge extra for the difficult load in.

The venue is a bit of a nightmare and I explained the only way I could do it would be to setup early. The client booked straight away because she was aware of this and I was the only DJ to consider this obstacle. I later found out the client was at a wedding at the same venue where the DJ turned up half an hour before due to start, took one look and went home :eek: :eek:

Waits for a hundred people to chirp up with an assortment from:
"No prior viewing or knowledge?!! scandalous"
"Half an hour?! Scandalous".
"Poor planning? Scandalous".
" At a wedding?!Scandalous". :D :D :D :D :D :D

gaza
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I honestly don't think £100.00 is that bad. For arguments sake let's assume that you would normally charge half of that (give or take) for stairs access. The gig we're discussing in this thread is on NYE! If a roadie needs to be employed on that date then it's double rate for them too. So the £100.00 no longer seems a high charge when it's to cover the cost of extra staffing.
Without mentioning prices, I've charged slightly more than that for a really tricky access in the past......and it wasn't on NYE. Extra workload means extra time on site, and in the case I've just mentioned.... Extra Staff. Those costs are ultimately passed onto the clients. Business is business, we shouldn't be out of pocket when really tricky access calls for extra manpower and/or extra time on-site. Now, some people don't charge extra for stairs or tricky access, and that's their prerogative, just as it's the prerogative of those that do choose to charge extra.

As Dazzy & I have said...."what a service provider charges is purely between him and his client."

Exactly, spot on:)