PDA

View Full Version : Auld Land Syne

dolly
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
For ages now I have been searching for Auld Lang Syne - the version that is more often played at aprties, weddings etc, and speeds up gradually. It seems to go on for quite a length or time too. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places, but it's not easy when I dont know who actually recorded it.

Can anyone help?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
There are several versions on Mastermix New Year.

The longest is a version by Weekend which starts off in the tradional way and gets more poppy and bouncey as it goes on, and then slows slightly towards the end.

It's a useful CD to have with countdowns and all sorts of utilities on it.

I'm pretty sure it was only a tenner too.

jwpentgroup
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I've got quite a few versions knocking around

Have you looked at Mastermix 'New Year', it's part of the £10 bargain collection and has lots of different versions.

There is also the 'Mad Jocks Mix', which is quite popular around here. Not sure of a full retail cd you could get this from now a days, i managed to pick it up a good few years back on a 'Party Party - All Night Party' party for £2.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Just found the link for you. Clicky (http://www.soundlightuk.com/Mastermix/new_year.htm).

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I've got quite a few versions knocking around

Have you looked at Mastermix 'New Year', it's part of the £10 bargain collection and has lots of different versions.

There is also the 'Mad Jocks Mix', which is quite popular around here. Not sure of a full retail cd you could get this from now a days, i managed to pick it up a good few years back on a 'Party Party - All Night Party' party for £2.

Appears to be an echo!

Great minds and all that! :teeth:

jwpentgroup
08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Appears to be an echo!

Great minds and all that! :teeth:

Sorry - there were no replys when i started to type :cool:

dolly
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Great! Thanks guys

Denty
08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
This probably wont help but I'll post it anyway! I've got a vinyl LP by Syd Thompson and his Orchestra, called Music for Special Occasions - as well as Auld Lang has the Hokey Cokey, Charleston, St Bernard Waltz, March of the Mods on one side, selection of music for waltz,quickstep,chacha, foxtrot etc on the other.Not sure whether his LP's ever got reissued on CD but if it was me, I'd start looking in the ballroom dance music area of a record shop, some of the older ones are likely to feature "special" items such as Auld
HTH

CRAZY K
08-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Denty, I have that vinyl LP sitting in my garage!!!!

Google says a lot of his old stuff is on CD--but couldnt see that one!

Maybe download it if you dont want to buy a complete CD?

I dont somehow think one version will be any different or better than another--especially when everyone is rolling around at midnight on NYE :teeth:

CRAZY K

theoloyla
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
This probably wont help but I'll post it anyway! I've got a vinyl LP by Syd Thompson and his Orchestra, called Music for Special Occasions - as well as Auld Lang has the Hokey Cokey, Charleston, St Bernard Waltz, March of the Mods on one side, selection of music for waltz,quickstep,chacha, foxtrot etc on the other.Not sure whether his LP's ever got reissued on CD but if it was me, I'd start looking in the ballroom dance music area of a record shop, some of the older ones are likely to feature "special" items such as Auld
HTH
There certainly were lots of Sydney Thompson CD's and the ballroom/party section is where you need to look. I use a version by Dennis Hayward and his orchestra which is called "Music for Special Occasions" and like the above mentioned includes Happy Birthday, 21 today, Congratulations, Anniversary Waltz, Gay Gordons etc.

dolly
30-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Well, I bought the mastermix album you told me about, but to be honest it's not that great a version of Auld Lang Syne. I'm still trying to get a decent version of it for parties. I have tried to find various other artists you mentioned also but with no luck. If I onyl knew who recorded the version that I know- its speeds up gradually, and is a typical party version of the song.

alexperrins
30-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Popular belief suggests that Robert Burns did not write Auld Lang Syne but amended it from an older scottish poem. This has been the subject of much argument. I do not know of an exact CD you can find the traditonal version on but I will look into it!

If you want a bit of history look here!! http://www.electricscotland.com/history/articles/langsyne.htm

Otherwise, here are a few sources which might help you on your quets

Bandleader Guy Lombardo popularized the association of the song with New Year's celebrations, through his annual broadcasts on radio and TV, beginning in 1929.

The musical Auld Lang Syne was written by Hugh Abercrombie Anderson (as Hugh Abercrombie).

It was used as the theme song in the 1940 movie Waterloo Bridge.

dolly
30-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for that but I am not looking for a traditional version of the song. What i'm looking for is one that has been at may parties I have been present at as described in my previous post.
Thanks

alexperrins
30-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Ah! Should have read a bit closer. Apologies!

I have a version on the Ultimate Cheese Party – it says it’s a Traditional version but I’ll listen to it at home and let you know if it is a party version

Sorry!

Have a disco
30-08-2006, 04:48 PM
look out for the jock mix of auld lang syne

CRAZY K
30-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Why dont you contact the entertainers you heard playing the version you like and ask them?

Saves a lot of time wasting--assuming not a live band.

CRAZY K

dj andy allwood
30-08-2006, 06:03 PM
do you know what its been nearly a year since ive heard that :)

dolly
04-09-2006, 08:51 AM
What versions do you play when at parties etc? It's just something to round off the end of the night really.

CRAZY K
04-09-2006, 09:06 AM
ANDY SAID--
do you know what its been nearly a year since ive heard that

I play it at EVERY Wedding, Party or Celebration other than a straight "Dance"

Its the traditional way to end a party here in England you know :teeth:

Get the Birthday person or B and G in the middle of the circle and off you go!

Dolly, any version that gets faster as it goes on will do you--usually people
dont care too much about the actual music--their singing is usually louder---and a nightmare if you have sound limiters.

CRAZY K

dolly
04-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Which one od you use?

CRAZY K
04-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Do you mean artist and title?

CRAZY K

secretDISCO
04-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Och aye the noo laddie!!!!!!! get yourself into the local charity shop and you'll get a good selection there. the one i use is off an old scottish LP that i burnt onto CD it starts off slowly and get faster half way through.....Aye!!!!
Its a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht....hoots mon
( i dont know what any of that means....and I'm Scottish)
CHARITY SHOP!!!!!!

Shaun
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
( i dont know what any of that means....and I'm Scottish)

I'm baffled too :D

CRAZY K
04-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Secret Disco--they are the words of Lord Rockinghams hit--Hoots Mon!

Or in Scotland and Scottish Dancing known as 100 Pipers---a track I use every Saturday night for Barn and Scottish Dancing.

Auld Lang Syne--yes probably look round the naff shops for a version or maybe its a download somewhere?

My versions are by Andy Ross (another Scotsman) and a Scottish Country band whose name I can find!

Phone up these people--they will sort you out--

The Scottish and Irish Music store 0141 637 6010

Its AULD LANG SYNE! ( scottish accent)

CRAZY K

dolly
05-09-2006, 01:18 PM
thanks for you help. I shall keep looking.

CRAZY K
05-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Dolly just noticed your in Scotland :teeth:

And heres us English telling you about Auld Lang Syne!!!!

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Just in case you dont find the tune heres the words so you can sing them :)

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint stowp!
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

Chorus

We twa hae run about the braes,
And pou'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit,
Sin' auld lang syne.

Chorus

We twa hae paidl'd in the burn,
Frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin' auld lang syne.

Chorus

And there's a hand, my trusty fere!
And gie's a hand o' thine!
And we'll tak a right gude-willie waught,
For auld lang syne.

Chorus

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
CRAZY K

dolly
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks for that lol. I would reply with God Save the Queen but unfortunately I do not know all of the words.