PDA

View Full Version : Internal or external drive

Daryll
12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Just upgraded the laptop drive to 320gb.
I have a 500gb external Lacie drive for all the songs etc , All my songs come to 170gb , so plenty of space , I was thinking of playing off the internal drive , and keeping the external as a backup , any problems doing it this way ?

Daryll

surround sounds
12-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I have a 500gb external Lacie drive for all the songs etc , All my songs come to 170gb , so plenty of space , I was thinking of playing off the internal drive , and keeping the external as a backup , any problems doing it this way ?

Daryll

Hi
To be honest that is what i do and never had no problems.I have been using the same laptop for 3 years and still like new

WWDJ
12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I've always played off internal. Less carriage. I've done this off 3 laptops and no problems. External is useful if you are always switching laptops or you have one with a low capacity internal, otherwise internal all th way for me!

(ps. I do have offline backups!)

Daryll
12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys , internal it is then :D

CRAZY K
12-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Daryll

The question is--

Is this Laptop exclusively for Disco use or not--you dont say:confused:

If it is (Disco use only) then theoretically it should last a fair time.

Otherwise the increased wear and tear factor will knock it out quicker.

My last Laptop only lasted 18 months of heavy daily internet use before the screen went blue ( dead hard drive) and that excludes Disco use for which I used my extenal Seagate HD.

Daryll
12-12-2010, 07:57 PM
The question is--

Is this Laptop exclusively for Disco use or not--you dont say:confused:

Oh yes , stripped down XP , no internet access , its whole purpose in life is to play MP3`s.

Cheers

Daryll

WWDJ
12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Otherwise the increased wear and tear factor will knock it out quicker.

My last Laptop only lasted 18 months of heavy daily internet use before the screen went blue ( dead hard drive) and that excludes Disco use for which I used my extenal Seagate HD.

Nor really wear and tear as such, just the general rubbish that plauges windows and internet explorer .....

CRAZY K
12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Nor really wear and tear as such, just the general rubbish that plauges windows and internet explorer .....

Whatever it is--it just creates wear on a component that has a limited shelf life dependant on its mileage so to speak.

Tom Lovick
14-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Got 1 laptop that has 640gb hard drive but still use my external one!! keep all my music on my hard drive!