PDA

View Full Version : Advance bookings - a sign of the economic downturn

leelive
24-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Just been looking at my advance bookings for 2011 compared with 2010.

This time last year I had 49 advance bookings for 2010 at a value of nearly £19,000

This time I only have 37 at a value of £14,000 for 2011.

It appears that the economic downturn is now taking a grip on my business.

I had 35% more advance bookings for 2010. Anyone else finding this to be the case?

Lee

DB Entertainments
24-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Can't grumble about that can you!

leelive
24-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Can't grumble about that can you!

Not grumbling.... this just means I will have less to spend on new kit and music in 2011. This is my only job so I do need it to provide a reasonable income. Roughly only 1/3 of income is profit.

I usually get another 50% more bookings throughout the year... but I will need 100% more to compare with 2010.

There are a few factors that I believe have caused this.. I want to see how much the downturn is playing a part against the other factors. Replies to this poll are really appreciated to help me see the bigger picture.

Lee

Jonathan Ford
24-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I generally don't get booked much more than 6 months in advance, but nonetheless have significantly less in the diary compared to this time last year.

Charlie Brown
24-12-2010, 02:03 PM
A lot lot higher.

Plenty of weddings for me next year.

DeckstarDeluxe
24-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I've seen a trend of people tending to book closer to the date in the past year or so. I have a couple more bookings than I did this time last year but not nearly enough to keep me going. I'm hoping in Jan I will get plenty of enquiries.

yourdj
24-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Wait until early Jan. Thats when people look at the year ahead and say.

"Oi John have you booked a DJ for our wedding yet" - it's the only job you have to do. :)

Shakermaker Promotions
24-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Mine are up on last year already.
January is quiet but I am not too bothered as I'll be taking a break (first time in 7 years) and also concentrating on getting new business.
Wierd as it may sound, September and October next year are already full up. The rest of the year is good and once the residency give me their bookings, it should be better than this year.

Once Christmas is out of the way, end of January beginning of February, that's when the work will start coming in so I wouldn't worry.

Digital Jack
24-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Come on guys , put your hand up if you chose to work out the average price per gig before considering the topic of this posting ?

leelive
24-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Come on guys , put your hand up if you chose to work out the average price per gig before considering the topic of this posting ?

Judging from the interim poll results the pricing might be my issue. I put my prices up ever year. This year I may have gone too far. £440 for a local Saturday night Djing job (up to 200 guests).

I got a lot more at £360 in 2010. I was also able to easily sell the singing on top of that at that price.

Will have to get rid of my roadie and reduce prices to pull back more some more business.

More poll results and other comments welcome.

Lee
www.lee-live.com

Charlie Brown
25-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Cue Darren:

'Work less for more money'*

*Phrased in a better way.

Kernow
29-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Cue Darren:

But 12 x £300 = 9 x £400, the gross result is the same :confused:
Admittedly, costs per gig will remain constant, which gives greater profit margin. ;)

leelive
29-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Cue Darren:

Good idea. My wife wants me to charge £1000 per night just so I can spend more weekends with her.
Lee

Charlie Brown
29-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Good idea. My wife wants me to charge £1000 per night just so I can spend more weekends with her.
Lee

Can't you charge (for example) £500 a night.

Hopefully, you won't be working as much but your profit should stay the same?

NKR
29-12-2010, 06:27 PM
We have lost a few year on year bookings that have been cancelled for 2011.

We have done these for the last two years, so yes people are cutting back.

leelive
29-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Can't you charge (for example) £500 a night.

Hopefully, you won't be working as much but your profit should stay the same?

I was just thinking of reducing my prices to last years rates... but you might be right.

£500 a night. I will give that a bash for peak season. I issue 6 quotes for every Saturday night from April - Oct.... so someone will book. .... and I would still be cheaper than a basic wedding cake!!

Lee

Charlie Brown
29-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I was just thinking of reducing my prices to last years rates... but you might be right.

£500 a night. I will give that a bash for peak season. I issue 6 quotes for every Saturday night from April - Oct.... so someone will book. .... and I would still be cheaper than a basic wedding cake!!

Lee

:agree:

TBH, you're a unique act. What you charge shouldn't be a problem. :)

Creature
29-12-2010, 10:32 PM
have had 2 cancellations for 2011 this week :( unfortuantly for me one of them was a 7 dayer so well peed off - luckily i got the booking fees Which they are both trying to get back - i said read teh print on the contracts.

but would rather have the bookings