PDA

View Full Version : Sure SM58 'Clone'.

DB Entertainments
27-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey all,

I messaged my Local Disco Shop through facebook asking him for his 'Best Price' on a ''Sure SM58'', He told me he had some clones in, that sounded Excellent for just £30 with the Case.

What we think?

all new to me?

Cheers

Daley xx

Dynamic Entertainment
27-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Behringer do the XM8500, which is a close second the the SM58...

Review here http://www.ciao.co.uk/Behringer_XM8500__Review_5737008

DB Entertainments
27-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Cool - cheers for that :)

When he said 'Clone' I had the image in my mind of a ' Fake, Black market mic'

If you think the Behringer is as good though I'd be willing to give it a try for £19.99 :)

Dynamic Entertainment
27-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Its not quite an SM58, but I have a 3 pack of the XM8500 which was fine for most work.

At that price, if you dont like it its not a huge loss. Afterall, mic preference is usually a personal issue ;)

BeerFunk
27-12-2010, 09:48 PM
If it's your main mic, invest in an SM58, it will outlast your DJ career.

If it's for the punters to use, whether it be speeches or karaoke, then I wouldn't know, sorry! :)

Dynamic Entertainment
27-12-2010, 09:57 PM

If it's for the punters to use, whether it be speeches or karaoke, then I wouldn't know, sorry! :)

Why....

I done just that on the say of others...and hated the damn thing. The SM58 just didnt suit my voice. I new use a variety of senny microphones and love them.

The XM8500, whilst not having the Shure name, is built like a rock. The only downside ive found is that its a bit too top heavy (as stated in various reviews).

Ive even loaned an XM8500 to a friend whos a club DJ when his SM58 died, and he was impressed with it....

Megamix
27-12-2010, 10:29 PM
If you look on Amazon the Shure C606 gets excellent reviews and looks like a good alternative to the more expensive SM58

BeerFunk
27-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I done just that on the say of others...and hated the damn thing. The SM58 just didnt suit my voice.Is your voice particularly low or high-pitched?

Ive even loaned an XM8500 to a friend whos a club DJ when his SM58 died, and he was impressed with it....Was it a genuine SM58 though? There are some impressive looking fakes out there, which are really difficult to differentiate from the real thing.

I've never known an SM58 to just 'die', they're extremely robust, which is what I and most others have found to make them worth their asking price.

Dynamic Entertainment
27-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Yep, Genuine Shure. He had it for a good few years and one night it just gave up the ghost...

As for my voice, its not really high or low pitched. Just the SM58 sounded crap.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
27-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I would steer well away from "Clones" as theyll usually be poor.
For the money 100 quid gets you a (now made in mexico) SM58 long lasting industry standard Mike.

30 Quid gets a good switched Shure C606 mike which i think are pretty good (ive 4 or 5 of em)

Senheisers are good too

cant really reccomend the Behringer at 18 pounds as it sounds poor by comparison to most (allthough at 3 in a box with clips at 30 quid there allright for KareKroke!)

CHEERS

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Its not quite an SM58, but I have a 3 pack of the XM8500 which was fine for most work.

At that price, if you dont like it its not a huge loss. Afterall, mic preference is usually a personal issue ;)
Errrr, I hate to inject a note of discord, but the three packs I think are a grade lower. The single ones are superior quality. I have a single one, and we ran it against the triple pack ones, and you can tell the difference.

The SM58 is indeed bulletproof, but the Berry 8500 is robust also. A lot depends on what you want to use it for.

Why....

I done just that on the say of others...and hated the damn thing. The SM58 just didnt suit my voice. I new use a variety of senny microphones and love them.
I know whereof you speak. I don't think a cabled SM58 suits my voice. Funnily enough ( for as far as I know, they use the same capsule, ) I prefer the sound of my wireless SM58. :confused: And I prefer the sound of my wireless AT to that. If I'm using a cabled mic, the senny is first one out of the box for me. I'd like one of the higher grade ones, but that will have to wait.

The XM8500, whilst not having the Shure name, is built like a rock. The only downside ive found is that its a bit too top heavy (as stated in various reviews).

As\stated above, agreed.

If you look on Amazon the Shure C606 gets excellent reviews and looks like a good alternative to the more expensive SM58

I've not used that model, but I'd defo use the berry before that one.

TONYTIGER
28-12-2010, 08:31 AM
As already said not all microphones suit all voice,s i have over 30 mics in the hire stock for all applications .I find it quite strange that some Djs really do not think it is worth investing or doing research on a mic that suits there voice after all if they are a dj that does a lot of talking it is very important that they can be heard clearly.
The SM58 is a good mic and is always my first choice for live band work for vocals or the Beta version but would not be my choice for DJ work as it needs a lot of volume but there again may suit some Djs that have a strong voice.
My choice would be the Sennheisser e845 a really great all round mic.
I also have AKG,Beyer, and if your looking to spend less money look at the range from JTS & Audio technica.

Andy Goodtimes
28-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree, I think the SM58 is a decent all rounder for the money and I use one most of the time, however, it is very personal. Some of the cheapo mics that look like the SM58 such as the Numark and Behringer are ok for round the £20 mark...they do the job...just about.

I carry a few different mics and will use what I think suits the job, I guess generally speaking the EV wired and the Bayer wireless are my favourites. I must admit I haven't tried the Sennhiser 845 but know several folk who use it successfully. I also have a mate that uses a plastic Sony mic that he got free with a portable cassette recorder in the 80s and it does sound fantastic and suit him fine.

It is very important that anyone looking for a mic demos them as fully as they can...maybe using the SM58 as a benchmark is a good idea.

Davy
28-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I posted a long reply on another forum that seems to have vanished.

I got the same spiel from a local supplier who also sold shure stuff. he stripped the mic and the internals looked identical , this was an eagle something 58 and had a switch. They charge £39 but got it home and a search on google showed the frequency ranges were miles apart so it looked the same but wasn't.

What do you want the mic for and what environment?

For singing I use an sm58a but that's because it doesn't feedback on stage when there's a lot of background.

For Dj use and punter mic's I use numark wm200's- cheap , great build quality and good sound although tends to be more sensitive to all frequencies so for stage work with monitors deafening you it's not great.

One of my preferred vocal mic's just now is my audio technica - switch is broken so can't use it just now though.I also have the behringers and there decent enough but I prefer the sound from the numarks.

Used to do karaoke 4 nights a week so I've tried loads of mic's and the wm200's I've found are the best all rounders. about £15-£20 each but when I got them it was buy 4 get 1 free and I've also been given another 2 from dj's who quit . I keep loaning them out and never seeing them again. They come with a case and a cheap cable ( xlr to jack ) - stick a decent cable on it and you'll be surprised .

Charlie Brown
28-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Behringer do the XM8500, which is a close second the the SM58...

Review here http://www.ciao.co.uk/Behringer_XM8500__Review_5737008

Brilliant microphone!

..........Until I bought an SM58. ;)

Have a look on eBay. You can pick them up for £60? You won't look back. :beer1:

TONYTIGER
28-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Brilliant microphone!

To many fakes around be warned,how do you know its a real one Charlie very hard to spot the real ones.

Advice only buy from Shure dealership.

Charlie Brown
28-12-2010, 11:28 AM
To many fakes around be warned,how do you know its a real one Charlie very hard to spot the real ones.

Advice only buy from Shure dealership.

Perhaps. Mine is from eBay. Just be-careful and shop around! :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SM58-Vocal-Microphone-/200557529773?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_M J&hash=item2eb2290aad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shure-SM58-Dynamic-Vocal-Microphone-New-3-5mm-Cable-/120664474444?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_M J&hash=item1c1829c34c#ht_500wt_1156

TONYTIGER
28-12-2010, 11:35 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SM58-Vocal-Microphone-/200557529773?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_M J&hash=item2eb2290aad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shure-SM58-Dynamic-Vocal-Microphone-New-3-5mm-Cable-/120664474444?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_M J&hash=item1c1829c34c#ht_500wt_1156

Even the fake ones come with what looks like the correct paper work from Shure its not to you have a real one to compare with that you spot the difference.

wensleydale
28-12-2010, 11:39 AM

When trying to prove that a mic on ebay is a "real" one, its probably not best to put a link to a seller with no feedback whatsoever...

Charlie Brown
28-12-2010, 11:45 AM
When trying to prove that a mic on ebay is a "real" one, its probably not best to put a link to a seller with no feedback whatsoever...

Sorry, I just had a quick peep.

Anyhow, with eBay's new scheme - if it is fake then you can send it back and have your dosh back.

wensleydale
28-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Sorry, I just had a quick peep.

Anyhow, with eBay's new scheme - if it is fake then you can send it back and have your dosh back.

I suspected you were proving a point but it's still not a good ideal for someone who isnt too familiar with ebay. Even if you can claim funds back it's just the hassle factor that is best avoided.

Charlie Brown
28-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I suspected you were proving a point but it's still not a good ideal for someone who isnt too familiar with ebay. Even if you can claim funds back it's just the hassle factor that is best avoided.

Very true.

Anyhow, I was just saying I picked a genuine SM58 for about £60. Just changed the cover on it and it works a treat.

If you don't want to take the risk or can't be bothered with the hassle - Buy it from a supplier. :approve:

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I would steer well away from "Clones" as theyll usually be poor.
For the money 100 quid gets you a (now made in mexico) SM58 long lasting industry standard Mike.

Agreed.

Why try and save a few quid with something so important?

Have a look on eBay. You can pick them up for £60?

Trade is more than £60, so be careful. :)

TONYTIGER
28-12-2010, 11:54 AM
If you google fake Shure SM58 there is lots of info on how to spot the difference,but a bit late after you have bought one,as said Shure dealer only to be safe.

Charlie Brown
28-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Trade is more than £60, so be careful. :)

Sorry - I'm not explaining myself well. :o

It was second hand. :beer1:

Davy
28-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Brilliant microphone!

Or for £85-£89 you get one new from a dealer that hasn't been dropped , spat on or possibly fake.

£25 extra for piece of mind and given the fact it'll last a lifetime you can't complain.

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 05:04 PM
As already said not all microphones suit all voice,s i have over 30 mics in the hire stock for all applications .I find it quite strange that some Djs really do not think it is worth investing or doing research on a mic that suits there voice after all if they are a dj that does a lot of talking it is very important that they can be heard clearly.
The SM58 is a good mic and is always my first choice for live band work for vocals or the Beta version but would not be my choice for DJ work as it needs a lot of volume but there again may suit some Djs that have a strong voice.
My choice would be the Sennheisser e845 a really great all round mic.
I also have AKG,Beyer, and if your looking to spend less money look at the range from JTS & Audio technica.
Apart from me not having any AKG or Beyer, I agree with every word of the above.

It is very important that anyone looking for a mic demos them as fully as they can...maybe using the SM58 as a benchmark is a good idea.
Wise words.

Brilliant microphone!
.Until I bought an SM58. ;)

SM 58's are better, but are they £60 better? Some may thinbk so, some may not.

Agreed.

Why try and save a few quid with something so important?

I agree with the sentiment. It is virtally important. What isn't vitally important is spending more money than you need to. Pick a reliable mic that suits you and your voice, works for you, and you're away.

The SM58 isn't the answer to every question. I have two corded ones in the box, and they rarely see the light of day. A Sennheiser 825 is usually preferred to them. I'd like an 845, but can't afford one. The wireless SM58 however comes out a lot.

NKR
28-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Is your voice particularly low or high-pitched?
Was it a genuine SM58 though? There are some impressive looking fakes out there, which are really difficult to differentiate from the real thing.

I've never known an SM58 to just 'die', they're extremely robust, which is what I and most others have found to make them worth their asking price.

Doesn't always need to be. We found the SM58 to be particularly top endy and better suited to female vocal.
Senny all the way for me - with the exception of the Shure 55SH I am using paired to a Senny transmitter (which is an amzing microphone. You just need to be careful with your gain as it is so sensitive, but when care is taken to set it up it is a tool of joy. That is probably why some don't get on with it).

SM58's don't just die. Look up Youtube video of the attempts to kill one. They do not die, they are the terminator of mics. Shure SM 58 in you tube search will bring it up. Its worth a watch anyway as they are one tough son of a gun.

Buy a decent mic if its for your own use. I have in my box the 55SH a Senny G2 radio unit a couple of 835s and an unswitched Senny (can't recall if its an 835 or an 845).

Personal choice is one thing, but a decent mic is another. Your punters will thank you for it when they can understand you.

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey Darren, do us a favour please. Nip round and see if this bloke's above board, cos this is a steal if it's genuine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270682144685&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey Darren, do us a favour please. Nip round and see if this bloke's above board, cos this is a steal if it's genuine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270682144685&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Address?

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Having had a further look round, I'd be inclined to think that this might indeed be too good to be true. :( :( Models two grades below this are selling for twice the price. Hey ho.

Andy Goodtimes
28-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I bought an Ashton radio mic abroad once and I understand it is a very big brand in Austrailia. Anyway, it just happened to be on the same frequency as the radio mic the rep/compare was using in the hotel in Ibiza where we were staying...didn't I have some fun with that on the balcony of the hotel room overlooking the outdoor stage area...lol. As a plane was flying low on a course to land I was pretending to be the pilot talking to air traffic control saying I was loosing height and thought I was going to end up in the hotel pool and generally winding them up...they never found out who it was.

That Ashton isn't at all bad and only cost the equivllent of about £60 and comes in a nice metal case etc. Dunno if they still do but HW Audio of Bolton had them for about £90 a few months ago...worth a try.

Not just Shure but I understand several mics on EBay are copies...didn't you get conned by a Sennhiser Twinspin?

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2010, 08:05 PM
didn't you get conned by a Sennhiser Twinspin?

I don't think I've heard of that model before?

:coat:

Andy Goodtimes
28-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I meant Twinspin as in John. Pretty sure I recall him buying a copy Sennhiser radio mic off EBay.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I meant Twinspin as in John. Pretty sure I recall him buying a copy Sennhiser radio mic off EBay.

:whoosh:

:lol:

Digital Jack
28-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I bought an Ashton radio mic abroad once and I understand it is a very big brand in Austrailia. Anyway, it just happened to be on the same frequency as the radio mic the rep/compare was using in the hotel in Ibiza where we were staying...didn't I have some fun with that on the balcony of the hotel room overlooking the outdoor stage area...lol. As a plane was flying low on a course to land I was pretending to be the pilot talking to air traffic control saying I was loosing height and thought I was going to end up in the hotel pool and generally winding them up...they never found out who it was.

Great story :D

I got shafted with a clone of a SM58 (switched version) on ebay a couple of years back.
Initially the 'copy' felt lighter and sounded different too.
A more direct comparison with another 'real' one I own highlighted the differences.

China do a good trade in fake Shure and Sennheiser radio mikes too ,don't be to confident it's a genuine unit if you have a radio mike made by either of these Co's .

NKR
29-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Great story :D

I got shafted with a clone of a SM58 (switched version) on ebay a couple of years back.
Initially the 'copy' felt lighter and sounded different too.
A more direct comparison with another 'real' one I own highlighted the differences.

China do a good trade in fake Shure and Sennheiser radio mikes too ,don't be to confident it's a genuine unit if you have a radio mike made by either of these Co's .

Unless of course you buy it from a genuine supplier and pay the correct amount for it. Mine are all 100% genuine as I bought them from sensible sources. Thomann, DV247 and CPC. So I am always going to be confident mine are genuine.

Digital Jack
29-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Unless of course you buy it from a genuine supplier and pay the correct amount for it. Mine are all 100% genuine as I bought them from sensible sources. Thomann, DV247 and CPC. So I am always going to be confident mine are genuine.

Of course , but like many people out here , I do try to make a saving where I can.
We can't all afford to start out paying top dollar for equipment.
Suffice to say , one does learn from ones mistakes.

What-what-what-what.

NKR
29-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Of course , but like many people out here , I do try to make a saving where I can.
We can't all afford to start out paying top dollar for equipment.
Suffice to say , one does learn from ones mistakes.

What-what-what-what.

So do I but there are some things not worth taking the risk on. Anyone selling a genuine Shure or Senny will know what its worth and not sell it for less than that. Hence if it is cheap it is nicked or fake.

Anyone originally spending top dollar on gear knows what they have and knows what its worth, so will not let it go for buttons. Simples ;)

spin mobile disco
29-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I use a Senny myself as I had some problems with my voice and shure mics, it was possible it was a fake I tried but at the time I needed a mic and as the shure didnt seem to suit I chose sennheiser.
Must admit though that I may give the Berry a go as a backup. I loan mics for speeches etc and have started to shy away from using expensive mics for this due to damage to them including in no specific order:
dropped in a drink
dropped in a trifle
thrown at the floor
just dropped but then trodden on.
various foods smeared or spat over them.
And then the usual going missing as no one can remember who had it last or just used to bludgen someone over the head with.

Sennys are cheaper than shure but not cheap enough to make that worth paying out for in these curcumstances. Teflon coated mics may be worth inventing soon :) I think I may give the shure clone mics a go at that price and if fail I can list them on ebay afterwards.

NKR
29-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I use a Senny myself as I had some problems with my voice and shure mics, it was possible it was a fake I tried but at the time I needed a mic and as the shure didnt seem to suit I chose sennheiser.
Must admit though that I may give the Berry a go as a backup. I loan mics for speeches etc and have started to shy away from using expensive mics for this due to damage to them including in no specific order:dropped in a drink
dropped in a trifle
thrown at the floor
just dropped but then trodden on.
various foods smeared or spat over them.
And then the usual going missing as no one can remember who had it last or just used to bludgen someone over the head with.

Sennys are cheaper than shure but not cheap enough to make that worth paying out for in these curcumstances. Teflon coated mics may be worth inventing soon :) I think I may give the shure clone mics a go at that price and if fail I can list them on ebay afterwards.

I loan mics out for speaches. If that happened the night would end unless someone came up with £200 for a new EW100 G2. Simple as - its in the contact.

Who are you working with? I have never had my customers disrespect a mic.

Corabar Entertainment
30-12-2010, 04:20 PM
One mic that's not been mentioned on here....

... If you do like the Shure SM58 (ie you've tried it and it does suit your voice, etc) but the budget won't stretch quite that far, try the Shure PG58 instead.

For general speech work (ie what DJs use the mic for) they are very close / not much difference, but they are cheaper than their more famous cousin, the SM58.

Andy Goodtimes
30-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I think the PG is good value and so too is the C606.

I generally let clients use AKG WMS40 radio mics, they aren't the most expensive but are resonable so its prob about right kind of balance just in case they abuse them.

If it is somebody important like a celeb or company MD or CEO I tend to give them Bayer, I had one CEO of a very well known company banging hell out of my Bayer when folk were clapping so I switched him off and told him it was a £600 mic and he would have to respect it or use this as I held up a Numark wired. He actually apoligised and said if it was damaged to let him know.

Last night I was working with a band called "Moo Cows"...pretty tight actually, anyway after they finished and went off for a drink the punters were jumping up on the stage and using their mics to sing along to the stuff I was playing and they were really knocking them about so I called the band back in to collect up their small items such as mics.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-12-2010, 06:05 PM
One mic that's not been mentioned on here....

... If you do like the Shure SM58 (ie you've tried it and it does suit your voice, etc) but the budget won't stretch quite that far, try the Shure PG58 instead.

For general speech work (ie what DJs use the mic for) they are very close / not much difference, but they are cheaper than their more famous cousin, the SM58.

I have both leaded and wireless versions of both and although the PG58 is a good budget mic, I wouldn't agree that they are very close - the SM has far better top end.

The PG is still a decent-ish mic for around £50 though.

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 06:34 PM
A few people have quoted that Sennheiser are cheaper than Shure thats not correct on a like to like basis .

Shure SM58 switched £ 82.50

Sennheiser Evolution 845 switched £ 85.76

Sure you will get slightly different prices from different outlets but the two main players seem to match prices for similar products.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-12-2010, 06:41 PM
A few people have quoted that Sennheiser are cheaper than Shure thats not correct on a like to like basis .

Shure SM58 switched £ 82.50

Sennheiser Evolution 845 switched £ 85.76

Sure you will get slightly different prices from different outlets but the two main players seem to match prices for similar products.

The SM58 with switch is over £100 in most places - where are your prices from?

Dynamic Entertainment
30-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I loan mics out for speaches. If that happened the night would end unless someone came up with £200 for a new EW100 G2. Simple as - its in the contact.

Your lucky then.

Ive had a couple of high paying gigs where the father of the bride has been so drunk that theyve dropped the mic....or the groom has chucked it on the table after using it...or hammered on the top of it to "check its on"....

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 07:06 PM
The SM58 with switch is over £100 in most places - where are your prices from?

Hi ,these are my prices to my company,but the point i was making the two company,s match price for similar products what ever the source.

And i take it you buy at trade not retail.

Excalibur
30-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Blimey! :eek: :eek: What I've heard about Lancashire must be wrong then!.:p :D :D :D

Your lucky then.

Ive had a couple of high paying gigs where the father of the bride has been so drunk that theyve dropped the mic....or the groom has chucked it on the table after using it...or hammered on the top of it to "check its on"....
Been there...................................;) :(

Dynamic Entertainment
30-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi ,these are my prices to my company,but the point i was making the two company,s match price for similar products what ever the source.

To be fair Tony, youve spouted prics out before not and then claimed that they are trade prices. They may well be trade prices...but i would gess that 99% of users on this forum dont have the luxury of getting things at trade discount...so have to put up with whatever price hike retailers deem fit!

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 08:21 PM
To be fair Tony, youve spouted prics out before not and then claimed that they are trade prices. They may well be trade prices...but i would gess that 99% of users on this forum dont have the luxury of getting things at trade discount...so have to put up with whatever price hike retailers deem fit!

Thats not the point i was making ,i was comparing prices of the two makes just have a look at lets say CPC you will find the Sennheiser 845 and the Shure SM58 listed Which costs the most? the prices are the same proportions retail or trade.

Re the trade comment have you ever tried to set up a trade account for your company? ,do you think builders, and any other trade goes and buys retail i think not if you are a proper structured company trade should be available to you.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-12-2010, 08:21 PM

I buy trade and retail.

There's no point in quoting trade prices on here though as most people don't get them. The point I was making was that the SM58 switched version is over £100 retail.

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I buy trade and retail.

There's no point in quoting trade prices on here though as most people don't get them. The point I was making was that the SM58 switched version is over £100 retail.

So is the Sennheiser 845s so they are not cheaper than the Shure which is the point of my post.

Dynamic Entertainment
30-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Thats not the point i was making ,i was comparing prices of the two makes just have a look at lets say CPC you will find the Sennheiser 845 and the Shure SM58 listed Which costs the most? the prices are the same proportions retail or trade.

Re the trade comment have you ever tried to set up a trade account for your company? ,do you think builders, and any other trade goes and buys retail i think not if you are a proper structured company trade should be available to you.

Erm...most mobile djs are sole traders.......

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-12-2010, 08:29 PM
So is the Sennheiser 845s so they are not cheaper than the Shure which is the point of my post.

OK...:confused:

<goes off for a lie down>

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Erm...most mobile djs are sole traders.......

So am i,but have trade accounts with most major suppliers.

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 08:35 PM
OK...:confused:

<goes off for a lie down>

When you have had a good nap read my original post again.:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-12-2010, 08:38 PM
So am i,but have trade accounts with most major suppliers.

Most trade suppliers want Vat numbers or company registration numbers and trade references in my experience.

Why do you have trade accounts Tony?

Excalibur
30-12-2010, 08:58 PM
CPC.

Senny 845s - £89.89

http://cpc.farnell.com/sennheiser/845s/evolution-e845s-mic/dp/MP33096

Shure SM58s - £111.04
http://cpc.farnell.com/shure/sm58s/shure-sm58-microphone-with-switch/dp/MP33435?whydiditmatch=rel_default&matchedProduct=sm58&matchedProduct=sm58&whydiditmatch=rel_default

£20 less, and in my opinion a better mic. No contest.

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Most trade suppliers want Vat numbers or company registration numbers and trade references in my experience.

Why do you have trade accounts Tony?

Because i have been around for a very long time and i have a good reputation and i am well known in the entertainment sector or i am just a nice guy;)

To be honest i used to own a few Clubs and when i set them up made some good contacts.

And lastly i need to make a profit on what i sell,but you will notice i do not push sales on the forum as its not the right place.

TONYTIGER
30-12-2010, 09:08 PM
CPC.

Senny 845s - £89.89

Shure SM58s - £111.04
http://cpc.farnell.com/shure/sm58s/shure-sm58-microphone-with-switch/dp/MP33435?whydiditmatch=rel_default&matchedProduct=sm58&matchedProduct=sm58&whydiditmatch=rel_default

Sorry Peter don,t agree and i think you can get a SM58s from Interlight for £88.90 if they are still around,i have no link.And i thought you said you had not used the 854 but i appoligise if i am wrong.

mattydinx
30-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Can only echo what's already been said about the Behringer XM8500, for £16 they're a bargain and more than adequate for DJ work.

I've done PA for bands in the past who 'insisted' on SM58's however, when they tried the Behringer mic's, they were more than happy with the clarity they got back through the monitors!

Alright, so SM58's have a better 'quality' feel to them, and perhaps look better (up close - My Behringer mics came with black grilles, the new ones come with silver I believe) - for the amount of time the mic is used in a night, as long as the crowd can hear you and understand what you're saying - my question is why spend £80 more on a microphone, when a £16 one will do the job?

+1 for the PG58's also, I bought one as my first "proper" microphone about 9 years ago and it's still going strong, sounds 'warmer' than the XM8500, and feels better made (as shure's do)

Andy Goodtimes
31-12-2010, 01:25 AM
After reading all this on Wednesday I was set-up a bit early so had a mess about with various mics out of my mic boxes. I have quite a lot as I do a lot of pA work and also Karaoke...if I have to...lol.

I am disappointed to find that my EV for some unknown reason has just stopped working though...think its 767 or something like that, it was less than £100 and does not have a switch so I use an XLR with a collar that acts as a switch on it, not used it for a couple of months and it was working but I tried various cables and the mic is dead now.

I am not the world's best singer but my roadie is in a choir and has a voice coach, one of the girls that was setting the tables in the room also sings in a band and she's pretty good, we put on some karaoke backing tracks and had a general mess about and got all the hotel girls in the room having a go too. I have a fair few cheap mics that look a bit like SM58s, Behringer, Numark, Sampson, JTS, Skytech and so on and I think they are all about the same, I think that if you are comfortable using a mic you can get a fair sound out of all of them but if you are one of those who doesn't know how to use a mic proper its then that those type of £20 mics let you down. That then gives you a bit of a problem when a pizzed up Bride's Dad staggers up to you spraying everywhere asking for a mic, you know he's going to soak it and prob knock it about so do you give him a cheap one so he sounds cr4p or a decent one so he sounds semi-decent?..either way you loose, personally I keep a Numark plugged in for just those ocasions.

In the middle I have some C606, PGs and Audio Technica MB3s and all of them are resonable for most people.

At the higher end I have several unswitched SM58s a couple of switched ones and some Bayer, AKG and an old but much loved Audio Technica ATM91, I reckon all of those are very good. Everyone sounded pretty good out of those but the 91 is the type that takes a battery and picks up far better whilst being more or less impossible to make it feed back so they all sounded crisp and loud with that one.

At the end of the day it is personal taste but I believe that if you are pro you should have a resonable quality mic such as the SM58, fair enough to have a cheapo as spare or for drunks to use but come on you spend loads on other kit and the mic is pretty important by comparisum.

Also...if you are doing any high end corp or Weddings you really do have to have a semi decent radio mic, you can't give a CEO or a Father of the Bride at a society Wedding a karaoke quality mic that will wander and could even pack up on them, I always change the battery too regardless of how old it is...the kids use the old ones at home in their remotes and torches etc.

Since I have been DJing I have had only 3 main mics, one being a Shure Unisphere, then an American SM58 and now one of the Mexican ones. I have tried others but keep going back to Shure.

Corabar Steve
31-12-2010, 08:31 AM
and so too is the C606.
If you can still get them. I believe they've been discontinued.

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-12-2010, 10:27 AM
And lastly i need to make a profit on what i sell,but you will notice i do not push sales on the forum as its not the right place.

It could be if you register as a supporting retailer. ;)

Are you Vat registered then?

TONYTIGER
31-12-2010, 11:32 AM
It could be if you register as a supporting retailer. ;)

Are you Vat registered then?

The overseas arm of the Company is but not the mobile Uk operation.

Tell me Darren why are you so interested in what i do all of a sudden ?.

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-12-2010, 11:38 AM
The overseas arm of the Company is but not the mobile Uk operation.

Tell me Darren why are you so interested in what i do all of a sudden ?.

When people post this and that about their company I take interest in how they do things. Most people don't get trade accounts without being vat registered and most retailers are Vat registered too.

You mention you are a hire business and then that you also do retail and in other posts you say you have a job working for the council. I know I couldn't take on another job as well as doing this!

TONYTIGER
31-12-2010, 11:54 AM
When people post this and that about their company I take interest in how they do things. Most people don't get trade accounts without being vat registered and most retailers are Vat registered too.

You mention you are a hire business and then that you also do retail and in other posts you say you have a job working for the council. I know I couldn't take on another job as well as doing this!

Yes to all i work very hard,i also do 1 day free for British Heart Foundation also a local Councillor, on management committee of the local youth clubs have 2 overseas night clubs,manage my sons DJ work all over the world Dj myself for fun organize 25 music events per year for local council,own a horse,breed parrots anything else you need to know ? Oh nearly forgot try to help people with there technical issues on this forum.

spin mobile disco
31-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Continuing where this thread seems to be going if you were to rate 5 microphones for DJ work (note dj work here not singing etc)
1 being the best then down what order would you place them in and what mics would you choose? P.S lets say wired mics for now maybe we can do wireless later.

DB Entertainments
01-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Continuing where this thread seems to be going if you were to rate 5 microphones for DJ work (note dj work here not singing etc)
1 being the best then down what order would you place them in and what mics would you choose? P.S lets say wired mics for now maybe we can do wireless later.

Good Post . . . . :)

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
01-01-2011, 09:55 AM
ok
1 Shure SM58
2 Shure 55SH
3 Shure C606
4 Audio Technica MB series
5 Sennheiser E845S

NO behringer or soundlab rubbish at all
These are my own personal Favorite DJ and vocal mikes

Excalibur
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
ok
1 Shure SM58
2 Shure 55SH
3 Shure C606
4 Audio Technica MB series
5 Sennheiser E845S

NO behringer or soundlab rubbish at all
These are my own personal Favorite DJ and vocal mikes

Errr Dave, your list's upside down. :p :D :D :D :D

TONYTIGER
01-01-2011, 11:34 AM
1 Beyer M88TG
2 AKG C5900m
3 Sennheiser E945
4 Shure Beta 87C
5 Audio Technica AE3300

NKR
01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
CPC.

Senny 845s - £89.89

Shure SM58s - £111.04

Just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons.

The SM58 is shures top end wired mic for vocal work.
So the 845s is not a comparable mic.
That would be the e945 which is Senny's top end wired dynamic vocal mic. Retailing at £170.38 inc VAT from CPC.

Just a thought.

Also anyone using both Shures and Senny. I have found the Senny's are less feedback happy at higher gain levels.

Edit - forgot about the Shure Beta 58, so the SM probably is in line with the e845.

Anyway if you use Shure or Senny you won't go far wrong regardless of which model you opt for.

TONYTIGER
02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons.

The SM58 is shures top end wired mic for vocal work.
So the 845s is not a comparable mic.
That would be the e945 which is Senny's top end wired dynamic vocal mic. Retailing at £170.38 inc VAT from CPC.

Just a thought.

Also anyone using both Shures and Senny. I have found the Senny's are less feedback happy at higher gain levels.

Edit - forgot about the Shure Beta 58, so the SM probably is in line with the e845.

Anyway if you use Shure or Senny you won't go far wrong regardless of which model you opt for.

Your comments re Shures and Senny are spot on and thats why i said the Senny was a better bet for dj work.

Shures top wired microphone is the Beta 87C and thats the one you see at most top end events on the TV or festivals.

It seems on the Technical posts on the forum that members post comments on equipment that they have never owned or used IMHO.

NKR
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Your comments re Shures and Senny are spot on and thats why i said the Senny was a better bet for dj work.

Shures top wired microphone is the Beta 87C and thats the one you see at most top end events on the TV or festivals.

It seems on the Technical posts on the forum that members post comments on equipment that they have never owned or used IMHO.

I avoided getting into discussions on the Beta 87 and the even higher quality range of Senny's as they are condensor mics and require Phantom power, which is only available on professional desks (meaning not DJ mixers).

Yes I love a good technical chat and try to only get involved where I can add something,

Five mics I would recommend for DJ work?

Depends on what personal preference really, but the Sennheiser 835s is suffice for just speaking you don't need the more expensive 845s.

I would not recommend the 55SH for just DJ work as someone has in their list as it has a wide pick up pattern and is fairly sensitive, so takes some desk fiddling to get it sounding good.

The SM58 is an eternal favourite for many and is virtually indestructable, so is a fair choice for the DJ and replacement cups are cheap enough for when someone drops it.

So Although I carry a box full of Senny's (for vocal reasons), I would personally recommend the SM58 to the majority of DJ's, but only if you buy it from a recognised source and not ebay.

TONYTIGER
02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I avoided getting into discussions on the Beta 87 and the even higher quality range of Senny's as they are condensor mics and require Phantom power, which is only available on professional desks (meaning not DJ mixers).

Yes I love a good technical chat and try to only get involved where I can add something,

Five mics I would recommend for DJ work?

Depends on what personal preference really, but the Sennheiser 835s is suffice for just speaking you don't need the more expensive 845s.

I would not recommend the 55SH for just DJ work as someone has in their list as it has a wide pick up pattern and is fairly sensitive, so takes some desk fiddling to get it sounding good.

The SM58 is an eternal favourite for many and is virtually indestructable, so is a fair choice for the DJ and replacement cups are cheap enough for when someone drops it.

So Although I carry a box full of Senny's (for vocal reasons), I would personally recommend the SM58 to the majority of DJ's, but only if you buy it from a recognised source and not ebay.

Re phantom power you can get a box for very little money if you want to use one that requires power which is what i use .

NKR
02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Re phantom power you can get a box for very little money if you want to use one that requires power which is what i use .

I know there are DI boxes that provide phantum, but again didn't want to complicate the discussion further ;)

TONYTIGER
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I know there are DI boxes that provide phantum, but again didn't want to complicate the discussion further ;)

Yeh i have used a Reslo mic for over 30 years as it just suits my voice.British made a real blast from the past.

NKR
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeh i have used a Reslo mic for over 30 years as it just suits my voice.British made a real blast from the past.

I can't claim to have come across them, but I have only been doing this for 14 years.

However, there is the lesson in one sentence. Purchase a good quality mic first time and you can get 30 years out of it, which is better than buyin cheaper mics or clones and replacing them every two years.

Andy Goodtimes
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
See what you've been and gone and done now Spin...lol.

I won't even try to make a list of 5, as you can see if you read the thread its all too much a personal matter of choice...I mean someone is saying Behringer is ok and then someone else says they're cr4p...crazy!

Think we all agree the SM58 is decent and suits most people so get out there and listen to the SM58 then you know what a resonable mic can sound like then do a direct comparisum with others and see if one of the others suits you better.

Also...Remember that a lot of people that have made comments on here aren't just using their mics for straight forward DJing.

Andy Goodtimes
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Went to a DJ store today to get a laser I spotted in their sale and while I was there I asked for a couple of SM58s and the assistant said they didn't sell them as they had one better for £39...it was the Audio Technica MB3. I then asked about eh Sennhiser 845 and he said no as he had one much better for only £20...it was the Numark 200. I'm saying nothing :D

DB Entertainments
06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
well I went to the guy who offered me the clone - it was a citronic Citronic Mp400pro . .. I bought it for £25 with the case and lead....wish I had of got an SM58 now :/