PDA

View Full Version : CD decks that cost a fortune

STEVE HANLEY
29-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Sorry people. but ever since going over to digital. Is it just me? But are CD decks ( Even Pioneer. Inspired by another thread on here today)

Way overpriced?;) ;)

WWDJ
29-12-2010, 01:47 PM
For a mobile disco where we take care of our gear yes.

In a club environment, no

That said, I took my digital playout to a club bar the other night as I am used to working with it and used their cdj900s as a backup / extra source

STEVE HANLEY
29-12-2010, 02:05 PM
For a mobile disco where we take care of our gear yes.

In a club environment, no

That said, I took my digital playout to a club bar the other night as I am used to working with it and used their cdj900s as a backup / extra source

The reason I ask ( Without going into the whole Pro's and Con's of it all) is that you can buy a decent digital playout system. For the price of a second hand Pioneer cdj (One deck only and no mixer):eek: :eek:

Penfold42
29-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, but they are more than just a CD player. IMO...:)

Charlie Brown
29-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Don't see the attraction in CD players TBH...Unless you're a super star DJ.

STEVE HANLEY
29-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Ok Tony

Apart from the new ones. If all they do is play cd's......Why?? or How??:confused:

djsteve10
29-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Don't see the attraction in CD players TBH...Unless you're a super star DJ.

Pioneer players are industry standard in all clubs I have worked in along with Denon DND4500's.

You can do a lot with a cd player such as looks, samples, hot cues etc. I prefer to use CDJ's myself than using a standard rackmount dual cd player or a pc controler, Especially if I am mixing.

DJ James Lake
29-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I use cdj 1000mk3s for timecode control of virtual dj for the hands on feel. I hate just pushing buttons on a controller as I don't feel as much in control.

Excalibur
29-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Do they make the toast as well? :confused: :confused:

yourdj
29-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Im looking at these Asus netbooks for £200 at the moment.
Fantastic value for money and with a vestax spin you have a laptop that controls serato/traktor for less than one CDJ.

Both units are semi consumable wheras some of the CD'js are designed to last decades so a club will make the money back as long as they have a use for them (ie using them to control traktor).

DJ companies always keep the price the same when the technology drops - they did the same with turntables. :)
The Denon DN's are still not that much more than what i bought them for six years ago!

BeerFunk
29-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Generally speaking, without going into the uber-expensive equipment, I would say...

Denon = expensive, but still good value for money.

Pioneer = over-priced.

Digital Jack
29-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Im looking at these Asus netbooks for £200 at the moment.

What ones are you referring to ?
Do you have a link ?

TONYTIGER
29-12-2010, 07:01 PM
As James said Pioneer are industry standard in all the super clubs throughout the the world,the really top club Djs will not use anything else normally you would have at least four.
Over the last 15 years rarely do you see anything other than Pioneer i have seen them in every club of note on every continent in the world so thats why they cost the earth no competition the same as 1210s a few years ago.(no longer made).

yourdj
30-12-2010, 01:43 AM
What ones are you referring to ?
Do you have a link ?

There is another post on this at the moment. the best one is the eee - I have found a few by asus, samsung etc.
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30469&highlight=netbook

:)

Andy Goodtimes
30-12-2010, 03:10 AM
For several years I was buying cheap CD players, stuff like Numark, Stanton and so on, generally I would spend about £150 on a twin unit and it never lasted me more than about a year. About 5 years ago I spent £599 on a Pioneer CMX, I still use it today and it is perfect as if new. If it broke down tomorrow and wasn't a viable repair I would be straight out for another the same.

I have the Denon 2500 and would say I use them both about 50/50, I subscribe to CD Pool and get the Radio, Hits and Dance discs every month, I also still buy the Nows just to keep the collection going and carry prob about 1000 CDs out with me in slappa cases and one proper flight case. I work about 4 nights per week so its not like the kit isn't used a lot.

I see prob about 80% Pioneer and 20% Denon in install situations and have never seen broken Pioneer kit but have never seen Denon kit that isn't broken in some way or another.

I therefore don't agree that Pioneer is over priced, its certainly worked out very cheap for me in the long term.