PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia - The DJ's worst enemy!!

yourdj
01-01-2011, 03:21 AM
We have all been there.

Its not going too good and your worrying a bit.
Maybe there are a whole table of people just staring at you for an hour or more.

You know it's not you or your music but you feel that everyone blames you.
At the end of the day it a stressful job and a big responsibility especially at a wedding.

What do you do to counteract this?

For example - its a great night and people are dancing and some woman mouths to her husband
"this is :Censored: "

Well this happened tonight and I went up to her and politely asked if everything was OK and would she like a track.

She was pretty embarrassed and asked for hiho silver lining (I was playing never forget after auld lang syne as about three women asked for take that).
I then played that next and said it was a request for her. She did seem the kind of woman who would not be happy with anything though.

The amount of times I have thought one thing and when I have actually talked to the individual it turns out that they are thinking something different. One gig I was paranoid about some bloke staring at me all night. i had a chat with him and he was a DJ looking at the sound limiter behind me :p

I find this approach really works in those situations. :)

Its sometimes a no win situation but at least I try.

Candybeatdiscos
01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
one gig i had no one dancing ....all night, I was ready to throw in the towel after it, thinking it must have been me and my choice in music, i played every type of music i could, a really good mixture and despite nearly begging them to come up and tell me what they wanted me to play nothing worked....not 1 solitary request either.......the night dragged and i Just wished it would hurry up and end, i was in such a bad mood......then when disassembling the rig, nearly everyone came up and shook my hand and thanked me for a wonderful night, i questioned one or two and they said that they are just not dancers they like a drink and like the music ......i have now learned to watch the feet, see if they are chair dancers ....i now dont take no dancers as personally lol

yourdj
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
one gig i had no one dancing ....all night, I was ready to throw in the towel after it, thinking it must have been me and my choice in music, i played every type of music i could, a really good mixture and despite nearly begging them to come up and tell me what they wanted me to play nothing worked....not 1 solitary request either.......the night dragged and i Just wished it would hurry up and end, i was in such a bad mood......then when disassembling the rig, nearly everyone came up and shook my hand and thanked me for a wonderful night, i questioned one or two and they said that they are just not dancers they like a drink and like the music ......i have now learned to watch the feet, see if they are chair dancers ....i now dont take no dancers as personally lol

i had a wedding like that the other day. They were Irish and just liked to sit and listen. it was a very large stately hall which had been exclusively hired so I felt like I needed to get them all up.

it was a shock at the end when they all came up and said thanks. i was staying there so chatted to them till 4am and they said it was great :confused:

I think it makes you put allot more effort in, but i hate the feeling when you try every trick in the book and nothing works. Then someone comes up and takes the :Censored:

Just part of the job i suppose. :)

funkymook
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe there are a whole table of people just staring at you for an hour or more.

At some parties we're the most interesting thing in the room - some people don't have much to say to each other and there's no other focus for their attention. They're probably used to sitting at home staring at the TV for hours on end and we take the goggle box's place.

WWDJ
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I've given up on the paranoia ...

If noone makes a request and I am playing the usual pleasant tunes the I just assume all is ok.

That's it.

sleah
01-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I've given up on the paranoia ...

If noone makes a request and I am playing the usual pleasant tunes the I just assume all is ok.

That's it.

That's pretty much how I view it these days. Sod 'em!:Laugh:
I think the earlier point about us taking the place of the TV is interesting too. Does make one feel a bit uncomfortable though:(

People don't seem to know what to do at a disco these days...:confused:

Shakermaker Promotions
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Toby - There's no way I would've gone up to her. It's fair enough being paranoid (I know exactly what you mean) but you may aswell have just got on the mic and said "Excuse me...what's your problem?"...It would have had the same effect and that's that it would've embarassed her.
Of course..you, me...anyone wouldn't do what I've said but in my opinion it was just as bad as going up to her.

I just think that if people don't know how to enjoy themselves when the DJ is playing a full range of music and they can't be bothered to request stuff because they think we are all mind readers....well, stuff 'em!

sleah
01-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Toby - There's no way I would've gone up to her. It's fair enough being paranoid (I know exactly what you mean) but you may aswell have just got on the mic and said "Excuse me...what's your problem?"..

The danger is that it could be seen as confrontational. You know the usual thing in pubs....
"What's up mate?"

*SMACK*

All hell breaks loose:eek:

soundtracker
01-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I just think that if people don't know how to enjoy themselves when the DJ is playing a full range of music and they can't be bothered to request stuff because they think we are all mind readers....well, stuff 'em!

Perhaps we bring this upon ourselves by perpetuating the myth that we can "read the dancefloor"

funkymook
01-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Just thought - you weren't wearing your new lounge suit were you? :D

Shakermaker Promotions
01-01-2011, 02:02 PM
The danger is that it could be seen as confrontational. You know the usual thing in pubs....
"What's up mate?"

*SMACK*

All hell breaks loose:eek:

I hope it wasn't read as that's what I would advise because that's not what I meant at all.
I meant that you may aswell have done the mic thing because it would've had the same effect....in other words....DON'T DO IT!

'Read the Dancefloor' - A Myth? No way!! It should be part of our job description and is a tool of our trade isn't it?
You could be an expert in reading the dancefloor and have years and years of experience like the majority of us on this forum BUT you can't read minds and you can't please everybody all of the time.

How many times have you had someone on the dancefloor for the majority of the evening, dancing to almost everything with a smile on their (usually women) face and then when the style of music changes, they mouth something nasty about the music and then walk off in a huff. It's almost as if they are expecting that the DJ is there for them personally.
I hate that!

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Perhaps we bring this upon ourselves by perpetuating the myth that we can "read the dancefloor"

Why would you think that is a myth Pete?

Does it not follow that if people are really into a specific genre or type of music that you would follow it with something similar and if it dropped off then you would change it? Surely reading the dance floor is making sure that you aren't playing a load of tunes that no-one is dancing or reacting to and changing accordingly?

soundtracker
01-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Why would you think that is a myth Pete?

Does it not follow that if people are really into a specific genre or type of music that you would follow it with something similar and if it dropped off then you would change it? Surely reading the dance floor is making sure that you aren't playing a load of tunes that no-one is dancing or reacting to and changing accordingly?

No Daz, that's just common sense, the myth that I allude to is this ability claimed by some people by which they can indeed read minds, and by simply looking at a room full of people can accurately assess what is going to motivate them to dance.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 03:57 PM
No Daz, that's just common sense, the myth that I allude to is this ability claimed by some people by which they can indeed read minds, and by simply looking at a room full of people can accurately assess what is going to motivate them to dance.

You mean you can't do that? :D

Dynamic Entertainment
01-01-2011, 04:07 PM

But surely thats two different things....reading a dancefloor full of dancers is possible, reading a room beforehand isnt ;)

funkymook
01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Don't know about reading - but ridding a dancefloor full of dancers ain't too difficult!

soundtracker
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
But surely thats two different things....reading a dancefloor full of dancers is possible, reading a room beforehand isnt ;)

er! exactly!:confused:

Dynamic Entertainment
01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
34l exactly!:confused:
Why you confused Pete....you claimed that "reading the dancefloor" is a myth. Its not...reading the room is ;)

Perhaps we can bring this upon ourselves by perpetuating the myth that we can "read the dancefloor"

:)

soundtracker
01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Why you confused Pete....you claimed that "reading the dancefloor" is a myth. Its not...reading the room is ;)

:)

Because what I have already said is "the myth that I allude to is this ability claimed by some people by which they can indeed read minds, and by simply looking at a room full of people can accurately assess what is going to motivate them to dance."
Hence my confusion:)

djdave01
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
A few xmas's ago, i had a crowd of about 250 people, and a full dancefloor from the first tune.

At one table, fairly close to the stage, one bloke kept shouting 'this is sh*t' & making comments like 'this musics crap' etc. Other people were staring at him, presumably wondering what he was on about.

Turned out he was a DJ for another disco company, who was there with his day job work colleagues.

Him, and his colleagues, caused so much hassle that night, the whole company got banned from attending any future partys at the venue.

NKR
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
We did an all day wedding on 27th December. Kev did two vocal sets at night and hardl anyone danced to anything. Disco the same and I was getting very paranoid and quite stressed as they had paid a lot of money for this.

I just couldn't wait for the pain to finish.

End of night major thanks for a brilliant day from loads of people and few days later one of the most glowing e-mails I have had from a bride in a long time about how we made the day.

You just never can tell sometimes.

Kev summed it up perfectly during the night. "I'm not worried as I know nobody else would be doing a better job than we are doing!"

simonp
01-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Can't read a dancefloor if you haven't got a dancefloor (original point) :p

Don't know about reading - but ridding a dancefloor full of dancers ain't too difficult!

:lol: We've all done it :lol:

DiscosMobile
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Sometimes it really is just hard work. I am still in the 90's when everyone used to get up and have a shin dig. Now it seems paranoia sets in alot easier and quicker in a night if those first few tunes dont work. Where's the Plan B oh black eyed peas I gotta feelin, oh that didn't work hmm Journey??? No oh Abba anyone.. Bit of Barry White.. God what do you lot like and dance too.. In these sort of scenarios I tend to go over to the popular sing a longs, Never Forget, Cant take my eyes off you, somebody else's guy to at least uplift them a little bit "feelgood songs" and if know one dances hey ho at least I have had them singing and foot tapping all night.. But this is worse at a wedding because the bride and groom want everyone to dance (even though they don't always dance) and think its a failed night and the DJ must be rubbish and must have played completely the wrong music.. So wait for the complaint letter if your booked by the hotel or agent..

I learned about 5 years ago that not everyone wants to dance, I know I don't dance when I am on a night out. Dont take it personally (I know its easier said than done) If your room is full of Men your going to struggle there is only so long you can run with the Jam, Madness, Killers before it wears thin on them.. But if your full of women jobs got a little easier.. And anything like my NYE where the average age was 65 remember the reason why its hard work for this age group of dancers, winter and arthritis set in.. (I still had a full dance floor all night they loved it but I was board to tears)

Rick

NKR
03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Wow another Lancastrian.

We may soon outnumber those of the wrong side of the Pennines, who god himself punishes by dropping snow on them more than on us. We are his favourites even though they think they are gods own county. He may own it, but he don't like it. We are like his Tenerife. We are where he holidays.

Anyway I think that was off topic a touch.

Andy Goodtimes
03-01-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't worry any more but I used to in my first few years of the job. I have lost count of the number of times people have come up at the end of the night shaking hands and hugging etc. saying what a fantastic time they have had and I'm thinking which party were you at?

Don't forget too that this time of year is a bit of a funny time because lots of people have been to various parties with work and clubs that they belong to and so on, there has been lots of drinking and eating and also loads of people have been unwell with various colds, flu and bugs. I did 4 jobs between Christmas and Ny and Weddings the last 2 nights and except for last night which was an amazing party the others have all been a bit of a let down after the wild Christmas parties.

You often see folk staring or mouthing something to their mates and sometimes you manage to overhear something someone might say on the dance floor. Sometimes you can pick up on what they are getting at i.e. if its a couple of young trendy girls and you are playing 60s its pretty likely that they are waiting for some charts so you can say something like " just a couple more oldies and then we'll have some chart" and watch their faces light up. I'll always ask for requests and sometimes if they're not forthcoming I'll say "you're making me work too hard so lets have some requests", but at the end of the night as long as you can say you tried then there's not much else you can do.

I have had a fair few DJs that are pains and in particular the local radio station...oh my what a load of stars they were...lol. I ended up inviting them up to do a bit or shut the :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: :Censored: up, after they decided they weren't getting anywhere with me they started on the hotel staff...you can't close the bar on us do you know who we are and so on...they are banned from that hotel now. On the other hand I met a DJ the other night who was a totally nice chap, actually going to introduce him to this forum so look out for him...Paul from Manchester way.

As for going up to that woman...yes I would have gone up to her table and also other tables too so as not to make it look too much like I was picking on her. Always good to go to the punters and say hi and see if there is anything you can do for them and also good if you can get to know some names and bits of info and so on.

Excalibur
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Wow another Lancastrian.

We may soon outnumber those of the wrong side of the Pennines, who god himself punishes by dropping snow on them more than on us. We are his favourites even though they think they are gods own county. He may own it, but he don't like it. We are like his Tenerife. We are where he holidays.

Anyway I think that was off topic a touch.

And dangerous. ;) And wrong. :p

OK, I suppose I'd better try to stay on topic.

I reckon it's virtually impossible to not feel the dread as you realise that your dancefloor is going to be :Tumble: all night long, despite you pleading for requests, and trying every artist from the Tweets to Metallica! Then as they leave, you hear them saying what a good disco it was. Hey ho. :confused:

I also reckon I know what Soundtracker's trying to say. As far as I'm aware, none of us have the gift to instantly realise what to play at all times to magically pack the dancefloor. At best it is trial and error, though of course we should have at least an inkling of what is likely to suit a given crowd or age group.

I'm finding it harder to come up with exactly the right track sometimes, because there are so many more to choose from, and also the punters are becoming less stereotyped in their tastes, and thus harder to predict, eg " it's a 50th, so I'll play 70's all night" for example no longer seems to be a good plan. You're just as likely to be asked for BEP, David Guetta, and Tinchy Stryder as Mud, Suzi Quatro and T Rex.

It's very rewarding when you get it right, but it's a grueller when you can't tell whether or not you are. :confused: :confused: :( :(

Shakermaker Promotions
04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Spot on!
Just like the majority of DJ's on this forum, I like to think that I CAN read a dancefloor well enough to cope but you can't please everybody all of the time. I just don't see what benefit there is going up to someone and asking them if there is anything they would like to hear after seeing them mouth something or turn their nose up to what's being played at that moment because they don't personally like it. If you have said over the mic throughout the night that you are taking requests then there really is no excuse for them to get the hump really is there?

All they need to do is ask. They may come up and ask for something that is totally inappropriate but then you can ask them if there is anything else that they would like. At Christmas at one of the parties at the hotel, I had some rather good looking club type girls who were the 'too cool for a christmas party' types. They knew everyone was looking at them because they were gorgeous and wearing next to nothing and they mentioned to me when I mingled earlier that they would be going clubbing afterwards.

One of them asked for the 'Gyptian' track which I didn't have at the time so they asked for some Rihanna instead. I had already played a track by her around 10 minutes before they came over so I said I would see what I could do. They turned their noses up and then got all touchy feely with me and cuddly and asked again. I hate that when girls think that they can do that to try and get you to play something....anyway, a bit later I played Rihanna again for them and what did they do? They stood there talking and the dancefloor cleared because it was 'Rude Boy' that isn't really the most danceable of tracks. They left to go clubbing afterwards but for around 30 minutes my concentration was on them and not everyone else (not because they were gorgeous but because I wanted to try and keep everyone happy).

I think this is another thing with the paranoia scenario. You could have a full dancefloor with everyone having a great time and then you notice one person turning their nose up and your focus goes on to them. It's wrong I know but it happens. I also think it depends on the kind of function you are doing. If you are doing a party that has a theme, like a 40th that has an 80's theme, you can't really go wrong. Ok, you may get people that go "Oh I hated this track when it came out" but that's fine by me. If you are doing a party like a christmas one or a wedding etc...well, you have to try and please everyone with different genres and this is where you will get some people who don't like stuff and they will let you know too.

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 09:52 AM
If you have said over the mic throughout the night that you are taking requests then there really is no excuse for them to get the hump really is there?

That's one theory I still hold - if you welcome requests and have a majority of them, a majority of your work is accomplished. No excuse for anyone complaining the music is rubbish.

Jonathan Ford
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
That's one theory I still hold - if you welcome requests and have a majority of them, a majority of your work is accomplished. No excuse for anyone complaining the music is rubbish.

+ 1.

That's the killer trick with join-a-parties, Gary - trying to please all of the people all of the time. I always try and do it, even if it means playing something that the majority will not appreciate. Sometimes you get a bite, but more often not you get nothing....especially from the person that made the request. I had this over Christmas with a table full of hairdresser and "Swedish House Mafia" :( .

Excalibur
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
They left to go clubbing afterwards but for around 30 minutes my concentration was on them and not everyone else (not because they were gorgeous but because I wanted to try and keep everyone happy)..

Ooh yes. To paraphrase the good book: " There is more sadness in the DJ booth over one punter who is unhappy, than joy for the hundred and ninety nine who are happy ". ;)

soundtracker
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
NYE I had a table full of young, large, gobby women, dressed(or hardly dressed!) up to the nines, real chavvy looking sorts, tried them with the usual BEPs, Rihanna, Gaga type of stuff - no joy at all, finally two of them came up and asked for the Kinks!!!!!! Read that!

funkymook
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
NYE I had a table full of young, large, gobby women, dressed(or hardly dressed!) up to the nines, real chavvy looking sorts, tried them with the usual BEPs, Rihanna, Gaga type of stuff - no joy at all, finally two of them came up and asked for the Kinks!!!!!! Read that!

Did you play Lola for them?

soundtracker
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Did you play Lola for them?

How did you guess!!

funkymook
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
How did you guess!!

Could read 'em like a book!

Mark Wild
05-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Paranoia isn't nice and I think every DJ gets it at some point, but approaching the person 'you think' is mouthing derogatory comments, about any part of your service, is a massive no no ! You are going to look a total plum if you're wrong and they don't know wtf you're bangin' on about.

" There is more sadness in the DJ booth over one punter who is unhappy, than joy for the hundred and ninety nine who are happy ". [/B];)

I love that, where is it from? the good book? huh? lol

Javlingames
05-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Paranoia isn't nice and I think every DJ gets it at some point, but approaching the person 'you think' is mouthing derogatory comments, about any part of your service, is a massive no no ! You are going to look a total plum if you're wrong and they don't know wtf you're bangin' on about.

Totally agree with that, as DJ's we need to have broad shoulders. if we worried what everybody thought you would never be up on stage as the centre of attention!

Excalibur
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Indeed. Gospel according to Excalibur, Ch1, v19. ;) :D :D :D :D

Mark Wild
05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Indeed. Gospel according to Excalibur, Ch1, v19. ;) :D :D :D :D

It's actually quite touching and I suppose if it weren't true for most of us, we wouldn't make such a big effort when working :beer1:

Excalibur
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
It's actually quite touching and I suppose if it weren't true for most of us, we wouldn't make such a big effort when working :beer1:

You're learning, Glasshopper. ;)

yourdj
06-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I am sure people are reading this as I cant read the floor and I had a problem.
There was nothing wrong other than the one woman and she was cool not long after.
In fact she said to the landlady about the fact i pulled her up and played her track.

I am actually asking other people how they deal with people - as some individuals/groups can be difficult to judge.

I often go up to people and ask them what they want and have never had an issue.
I would not go up to some complete idiot who blatantly wants to start a fight and ask what the problem is.
Good judgement is the key.

My point is I am sure some DJ's sit behind the booth wondering with an empty dancefloor when they may be better doing other things?
I have been there and done it and am better for my approach now.
Most the time - probably 95% i am happy guessing and experience works.

:D

messiahwannabe
25-04-2011, 10:03 AM
i was having a similar problem getting the dancefloor going this saturday, after about 20 minutes of lackluster reactions i saw the bride and some friends and family standing nearby. i was in the middle of a track and had one lined up for next so i just walked over and asked them if they had any requests - i played their suggestions to little avail, and didn't manage to fill the floor till later, but it seemed an appropriate move and i imagine they appreciated the effort/attention.

that said i DO NOT mc at my gigs, i just wait for the requests to come - they always do but this seemed like a good time to be proactive. anyway like others have experienced, i got loads of compliments at the end of the night even though it took me a little while to find the right music for the crowd. sometimes we're our own harshest judges.

yourdj
25-04-2011, 08:06 PM
i imagine they appreciated the effort/attention.

Cool - Some times thats all it needs, even if it does not work. People are not silly they know when their gusts a boring or not and its not you etc. :p

All the people who have said bad things bout DJ's to me have said that they are disassociated and deluded from the crowd (although thats a bit of generalization) and have not played the music they wanted.

I do think at times asking the people (or at least having a conversation when applicable) helps and creates a rapor with them - especially if you do not say a word all night.

I did the complete opposite and told someone off the other night as he was laughing at me.
His whole attitude condensated as he realised I could move from the decks to the chair next to him
he :Censored: himself on the spot on my approach :D but was OK when I said he was being very rude and I will play his track in a bit :)

Although its a bit of generalization :p

djsns
29-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Very interesting and useful thread... :)

I think this discussion over "paranoia" and "reading the dancefloor" is digging into the core of beeing a mobile DJ. How do we evaluate our work and ourselves - to know if we have done our best or not at the end of a night?

My experience doing mobil DJing through many years in Norway is similar to what you are telling through this thread. Weddings are the most unpredictable gigs of them all. I have done a LOT of Norwegian weddings and they range from full dancefloor through the night to no one dancing the entrire evening. When the guests then tells you how nice your music has been in the end of the night - it feels more like a consolation prize... ;)

Over the years I have developed a couple of countermeasures and directed acts to avoid paranoia situations and empty dancefloors:

1. Communicating with my customers to get their expectations, their view of the guests and musical preferences. Advicing them on plans for the evening and what to expect. I usually also asks about their guests dancing interest - and some customers are sometimes aware that they have few danceinterested guests - and then I'm prepared to handle the paranoia :)

2. Using e-mail wishlists and planning ahead of the gig together with my customers. This also gives me a clue about any special kind of music taste or interest which might be shared by the other guests.

3. Trying to have my customers to concentrate the party/wedding into ONE ROOM when the dance is about to start. My experience with a "separate dancing room" is often terrible - all sitting and chatting on the other side of the doorstep - the barrier of the night :mad:

4. Using the time before my gig starts to assess the guests in the party - looking at them - even talking to some of them. How are they dressed, which mix of ages - and so forth - stereotyping a bit to find what normally would work based on my experiece with different kind of people and gigs.

5. Introducing myself in the beginning of the evening (even if I'm mostly a mixing DJ) through the microphone and telling that "I'll accept musical request - for dance music"... :cool:

6. Building up the evening musically. Always starting out the evening with "sing-a-longs" - getting the guests humming and singing known tunes.
I think this is crucial to getting the guests in the right mood and on to the floor... After a while I start throwing in a floorfiller or two to test if there is any interest for dancing, but not to soon - the mood takes time to build.
Of course I also have gigs where everybody is dancing from the first tune - then I might drop using "sing-a-longs"

7. Avoid playing requests that are none-danceable or kind of "special interests" for only one of the guests.

8. Playing triplets of different music styles - 3 x 80s disco, 3 x charts, 3 x reggae, 3 x oldies rock, 3 x swing - trying to hit different musical tastes. Then when the floor really is rocking I expand and build from there (reading the floor). (Triplets because it often takes some time before people recognizes the music and gets to the floor - and also to not make the show to scattered.)

9. Doing my megamix of old Disco (using Ableton Live) - a very thight and energic live mix with 20 or more floorfillers played in 10 to 15 minutes while monitoring the floor. I'm mostly playing choruses... Often this makes the dancefloor go wild - almost always works... (if this fails - then paranoia next :D )

10. Assess timing - and this is different from gig to gig. The buildup of the evening depends on many factors - not only the music. If the guests are tired after spending 5 hours at the table - they won't likely go direct to the dancefloor. Alcohol and drinking also might help some guests to the floor, and some needs a real buildup before dancing is feasible. In some parties (like weddings, school reunions, birthday parties) people meet again after a long time, and have a special need to reconnect and talk with their friends - before dancing is actual. :beer1:

I think that the combination of all these activities (and even some) are essentially what we do to "read the dancefloor"... This is after all what makes mobile DJing challenging and rewarding when you succeed :D

Would be nice to have other suggestions to what might help to handle difficult gigs.

DJ Safe N' Sound

DiscoMagic
10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
What a great thread!!!

I learnt quite early on when I gigged a 50th birthday and nobody danced until 11.30 (it finished at midnight!), prior to that I stressing, paranoid etc etc... and at the end the host came up thanked me for a great evening and gave me a £30 tip!!! She also apologised for the fact that no-one was dancing, but explained that alot of people hadn't seen each other for ages and wanted to catch up, but that the music was super!!!

A valuable lesson learnt and one I have taken everywhere since then:)

On the flip side I went to a colleagues 50th Birthday and whilst no-one was dancing, the DJ started by shouting at the birthday girl to come up on the dancefloor with her sisters and family, followed by other friends and family, and then every one else - the result - everyone kinda stood there dancing uncomfortably!!! Big no no in my eyes - if people don't want to dance - don't make them!

Shakermaker Promotions
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Totally agree in that if people don't want to dance, don't make them.
I found DJSNS's comments interesting. A lot of that I do myself although I don't tend to do (for want of a better word), megamix type things.

Infact next week I am doing a Surprise 60th Birthday party on a big boat on the Thames and one of the things the lady asked me at our meeting was not to play any of those Megamix / Stars on 45 things. Her comments were that she wants to hear the whole song and both her and her husband hate them with a passion. She was actually quite forceful when she started mentioning them.