PDA

View Full Version : Pre 70s discos - history of the mobile

TONYTIGER
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I have done plenty of research Tony and there isn't much to find and certainly not many photos. You will note that I said I am talking about mobile discos as we now know them.

I believe Roger Squire invented the term 'mobile disco' in the late 60s/early 70s.

No your right the few of us that started were called Discotheques and we travelled around,i had no lights until the mid 60s 4 old lights made of enamel came from Waterloo Station also around that time most of us were making our own oil wheel effects.Even in 1970 there was very little Disco equipment to buy all the stuff you talk about is mid to late 70s.

So no we were not called mobile discos or Roadshows but the concept was the same ,a DJ who travels around with his equipment today called mobile discos.
My first outfit was called Tony McNally and his Traveling Discotheque :(
My hero was Jimmy Savile again:(

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I moved this from another thread.

Has anyone got any pictures or information on discos from the 50s or 60s?

MikeW
03-01-2011, 08:22 PM
No your right the few of us that started were called Discotheques and we travelled around,i had no lights until the mid 60s 4 old lights made of enamel came from Waterloo Station also around that time most of us were making our own oil wheel effects.Even in 1970 there was very little Disco equipment to buy all the stuff you talk about is mid to late 70s.

So no we were not called mobile discos or Roadshows but the concept was the same ,a DJ who travels around with his equipment today called mobile discos.
My first outfit was called Tony McNally and his Traveling Discotheque :(
My hero was Jimmy Savile again:(

Hi Tony
How were bookings then, compared to today. Were you busier, was it easier to get bookings. Less competition?

spin mobile disco
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
My dad started in the 60's no photos im afraid although I have asked if he can have a look. He told me it was the big transition from folk clubs to something new at this time. All of his equipment was retasked p.a or home made as this is all that was available.

Excalibur
03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Early 70's for me. I used much home made kit, including sometimes lights which my mates "borrowed" from roadworks!!!!! :o :o :o :o Much of the posh PA kit was simply the stuff live bands used. I have just remembered that I used an active system once in those days.

A Woolworths 50w Combo. :eek: :eek: :o :o :D :D Unbelievably loud.

TONYTIGER
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Tony
How were bookings then, compared to today. Were you busier, was it easier to get bookings. Less competition?

I started playing records for my Dad who had a dance band they used to have a break every 45 min so thats what got me interested.
The middle 60s was when the Traveling disco took off i take it that the name Juliana,s rings a bell formed in 1966 they were really the first outfit to offer a proper mobile service and they are still going today.No there were not many jobs around till 68-70 used to get around £ 6 in those days there was very little competition and no real gear that you could go and buy ,i used to make my own which was very good and had a little outfit making gear for other DJs.
Up till then converted projectors using oil wheels and such like was the new technology.Lots off well known DJs started out around then on the mobile scene I remember seeing Johnnie Walker in the late 60s with his mobile it was exciting times in those days trying to think up new gizmos to make your show better i remember making my first Dry Ice Machine around then.
When i get old may write a book now there,s a idea.:)

MikeW
04-01-2011, 06:01 AM
I started playing records for my Dad who had a dance band they used to have a break every 45 min so thats what got me interested.
The middle 60s was when the Traveling disco took off i take it that the name Juliana,s rings a bell formed in 1966 they were really the first outfit to offer a proper mobile service and they are still going today.No there were not many jobs around till 68-70 used to get around £ 6 in those days there was very little competition and no real gear that you could go and buy ,i used to make my own which was very good and had a little outfit making gear for other DJs.
Up till then converted projectors using oil wheels and such like was the new technology.Lots off well known DJs started out around then on the mobile scene I remember seeing Johnnie Walker in the late 60s with his mobile it was exciting times in those days trying to think up new gizmos to make your show better i remember making my first Dry Ice Machine around then.
When i get old may write a book now there,s a idea.:)

Put me down for a copy. :)

Andy Goodtimes
04-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I recall doing the Kings Hall in Stoke with a FAL 70 and 2 boxes of the clip together FAL lights with the little silver lined holes in the front. Nowadays I use about 8k in there.

I only really go back to the eighties and in those days there were several Squires stores, Discount Disco in Rose Lane in Liverpool was another I used to go to.

Excalibur
05-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I recall doing the Kings Hall in Stoke with a FAL 70 and 2 boxes of the clip together FAL lights with the little silver lined holes in the front. Nowadays I use about 8k in there.

Snap, nearly. I used to do a local Village Hall with almost identical gear to what you describe. Now I regularly take in 1.5K!!:eek: :eek: :D :D

Edit: But of course, as we all know, you can't hear watts.;) ;)

yourdj
05-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I think a vintage section in the mobile dj bit would be a good idea.

All you old gits can discuss by gone days pre 80's or something and display galleries etc. . I will be in there before too long :)

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I know that vintage disco equipment wont be of much interest to the young guns of today but you may be surprised check out optifanatics.com if you want to get away from that cloned look,i still use a lot of this stuff today really great if you have to do a themed gig or put on a different look.And this is really the same stuff we used in the 60s.

Get Me A DJ
05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
A Woolworths 50w Combo. :eek: :eek: :o :o :D :D Unbelievably loud.

You still use it along with your FAL lights don't you :Laugh:

Mo The Motown Man
05-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I started off in the early 60's my first rig was made up of 2 Garrods Sp 25 turn tables a 100 watt valve amp and 2 Vox column speakers the turn tables where connected via a twin potentiometer ie volume from one turn table two the other and suitcase full off 45's and LP's

MikeW
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Schweppes boxes!!!!!

abracadabradisco
05-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Mo, and everyone else. I started in August '68 with 2 x Garrard Sp25's as well. Fed into a 4 way Eagle Transistorised mixer to a 30w mono valve amp. Speakers were Bakers Selhurst 12" in cabs that had those screw in coffee table type legs.
Soon moved to ADD 2 x 12 cabs driven by Leak TL50+ valve amp.
Oh no lights to start with but soon built a STL controller 3 ch and light boxes.

MORGEY
10-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I nearly started in 1972.
Two of sarted to save money in a joint business bank account. Heady stuff with having to go for an interview with a bank manager and all.
Priced our gear up in a music shop in Portsmouth and found we needed to save £45.00 for 2 decks an amp and speakers. We were putting in £4.00 a month and all was going well.
One saturday I went to a dance in the local town and the dj was my partner with all the new gear. I thought he had conned me but what had happened was his dad gave him the money to set up, and he was too much of a little git to tell me. I did get my money back though.
Never forgot that and wondered what would have happened if I had got started then.