PDA

View Full Version : Kids Discos?

NKR
05-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Dear all

How much is a kids disco? 3 hours, no games, just a basic disco?

I have got the job by the way, but had no idea how much one of these should be. 7:00 to 10:00pm on a Saturday in the next 10 days where I had no booking in and little chance of one coming up.

If I am going to get more of these then I need to start thinking about it.

ppentertainments
05-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Unless 13+ I won't do a kids disco for 3 hours - find it's too long to keep them entertained.

NKR
05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
13 year old.

I wouldn't do a disco for anyone under that age either as we are not kids entertainers.

ppentertainments
05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I charge my standard saturday night fee, but often throw in karaoke free, at that age they love it.

You do have to be careful though as I have found some of these events and 16 yr old parties are becoming very big. I had a 13th last year which included uplighting, large rig and a photo slideshow - fee was just under £800.

DB Entertainments
05-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't do a kids disco on a Saturday no matter what the age unless they were prepared to pay the full wedding fee x

I charge my standard saturday night fee, but often throw in karaoke free, at that age they love it.

You do have to be careful though as I have found some of these events and 16 yr old parties are becoming very big. I had a 13th last year which included uplighting, large rig and a photo slideshow - fee was just under £800.

Incredible - well done x

Nexus
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I've done a couple like this and 3 hours is definitely too long, even for 13 year olds. I tend to find they can get restless and mischievious. maybe I've just been unlucky.
I usually charge half my 4 hour fee for a 2 hour kids function so I suppose 3/4normal fee for 3 hours would be more than fair. In fact its a bit of a bargain considering its Saturday night.

Good luck.

Jason
05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I try not to do them on Saturday Nights. If I'm free in the evening, then I don't mind taking an early one on.
I stick with my normal hourly rate, and normally they are 2 1/2hrs, so we can get back for DVD+Wine :-)

I don't normally quote for a full Saturday evening, they normally choke... lol

However, I've had some nice ones - one was 15 mins Packup (but fairly decent set-up), 2hrs on a Sunday afternoon, easy chart music and greatful kids+parents... shame they're not all like that!

Dynamic Entertainment
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Saturday night full fee. I had one parent query it once, and I pointed out that by i coudnt take a "full" gig on. I explained that if she wanted to move it to an afternoon gig then I could reduce the fee.

She booked at full price ;)

JTRS
05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Saturday night full fee. I had one parent query it once, and I pointed out that by i coudnt take a "full" gig on. I explained that if she wanted to move it to an afternoon gig then I could reduce the fee.

She booked at full price ;)

Agree totally with that, and I've had exactly the same, once you explain to the parents that the fee is for the evening and is what you would earn then they (in most cases) understand and accept it.

I'd charge my usual Saturday night rate, regardless of age and time.

JTRS

DazzyD
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Same here - my normal response would be the full Saturday night 4hr show fee.

If it was really local or for someone I knew well (in a good way!) I might be tempted to knock £20 max off for the lure of an early night! Maybe but unlikely!

Johnny P
05-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Saturday night full fee - I might suggest adults could carry on the party afterwards

DB Entertainments
06-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Agree totally with that, and I've had exactly the same, once you explain to the parents that the fee is for the evening and is what you would earn then they (in most cases) understand and accept it.

I'd charge my usual Saturday night rate, regardless of age and time.

JTRS

Same here - my normal response would be the full Saturday night 4hr show fee.

If it was really local or for someone I knew well (in a good way!) I might be tempted to knock £20 max off for the lure of an early night! Maybe but unlikely!

Agreed - and 'usually' they take it up - - if not - we're prob booked for a wedding or adult party anyway x

abracadabradisco
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I take full fee for a Sat night. If they won't pay, they don't get. Simple as that.

DB Entertainments
06-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Sounds fair to me... in fact I'm doing 7 - 9 this Friday - FULL FEE!

NKR
06-01-2011, 06:30 AM
We had nothing in and there was nothing going to come in so I pro rata'd the fee we would charge for 5 hours £200 to 3 hours £120.

Its only 3 hours and a small rig, so better than being sat on my bottom. Plus will be home for 10:45 as its jut round the corner. IF any more come up further in the future I would probably charge full fee.

StarZSoundS
06-01-2011, 07:59 AM
We had nothing in and there was nothing going to come in so I pro rata'd the fee we would charge for 5 hours £200 to 3 hours £120.

Its only 3 hours and a small rig, so better than being sat on my bottom. Plus will be home for 10:45 as its jut round the corner. IF any more come up further in the future I would probably charge full fee.

You see Neil thats fine if you're going to do it without Kev.....

We are both Hobbyists Neil....and are not embarassed to admit it.I look at every opportunity on its merit.You are moving out of your comfort zone and thats good....

At the moment theres some great Music around so three hours is fine.There are a couple of things you could do to strap the time out too and make it memorable for the kids.....If you do this could create a different market for you.

If you want I could probably come down and give you a lift with it...if I'm not working....

Bite the bullet.....£120 is fine given the circumstances...on a smaller rig as well.....You're minted in your day job anyway!!!:) :) :) :)

WWDJ
06-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Pretty much the same story here.

-I only take these gigs on a Friday.
-I do pro-rate the fee otherwise it gets scary and I actually really enjoy these gigs because they dance for the full time.
-Normally 2.5 hours. In a couple of weeks I will do 2 hours for a 13 yr old and did 3 hours for a 15 year old a few months back
-I take a small rig so I can pack up quick. They like to be out the Village Hall quick as the kids are tired, so it makes sense for everyone.
-I get a lot of repeat business this way referals from the other kids.

Copy of Now 77 to hand plus all the latest chart music just released. Chuck in a few party classics, Cha Cha Slide, Mickey, Fast Food Rockers etc and you are sorted.

RevolutionDiscoNW
06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Pretty much the same story here.

-I only take these gigs on a Friday.
-I do pro-rate the fee otherwise it gets scary and I actually really enjoy these gigs because they dance for the full time.
-Normally 2.5 hours. In a couple of weeks I will do 2 hours for a 13 yr old and did 3 hours for a 15 year old a few months back
-I take a small rig so I can pack up quick. They like to be out the Village Hall quick as the kids are tired, so it makes sense for everyone.
-I get a lot of repeat business this way referals from the other kids.

Copy of Now 77 to hand plus all the latest chart music just released. Chuck in a few party classics, Cha Cha Slide, Mickey, Fast Food Rockers etc and you are sorted.

would have to completely agree!! i started doing kids parties in the beggining as i did similar for a friend a few years back response was massive !!!
i did all the xmas discos for 4 local schools and have had a heap of further booking from both parents and the schools ......
as said they dance the whole time sing along and love to be interacted with ...
although i did find it extremely tiring i suppose some of the old timers couldnt do it ;)
i will only do them weekdays and sat afternoons as i can still go to an evening gig afterwards and my price reflects this but i thinks its easy money if you have the patience

NKR
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
You see Neil thats fine if you're going to do it without Kev.....

We are both Hobbyists Neil....and are not embarassed to admit it.I look at every opportunity on its merit.You are moving out of your comfort zone and thats good....

At the moment theres some great Music around so three hours is fine.There are a couple of things you could do to strap the time out too and make it memorable for the kids.....If you do this could create a different market for you.

If you want I could probably come down and give you a lift with it...if I'm not working....

Bite the bullet.....£120 is fine given the circumstances...on a smaller rig as well.....You're minted in your day job anyway!!!:) :) :) :)

It will be both of us, but I view it as not doing anything else that evening, that's the years PAT and PLI paid for so my other jobs are more in profit.

If it works out may do some more in the future.

StarZSoundS
06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
It will be both of us, but I view it as not doing anything else that evening, that's the years PAT and PLI paid for so my other jobs are more in profit.

If it works out may do some more in the future.

Its a huge market....I can sometimes squeeze 3 or 4 into a weekend and when you latch that onto your Friday and Saturday evenings it makes it whizzo....but you need a smaller portable rig that goes up and down in 30 mins to make it work!!

Good Luck!!;) ;) ;)

DB Entertainments
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
..but you need a smaller portable rig that goes up and down in 30 mins to make it work!!

Good point - and something I have been talking about with my wife lately as my rig has dramatically increased in size and set up times recently.

Candybeatdiscos
06-01-2011, 07:37 PM
kids parties on a sat/sun afternoon if 2-2 1/2 hrs, i would normally charge £70-£75, please the parents and get the adult parties in the future :)

If its a Fri/Sat or Sun night then full fee regardless of hours as knowing my luck i would charge a cheap rate and sixty quid sid would let someone down and i would get a call asking if i could do a full adult party where i could charge the normal rate

DB Entertainments
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
My 2 Hour Day time Parties are £99 with Free glowsticks & Prizes for the games....

NKR
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I think I am on the money at £120. Its easy job with no trailer. Less than 2 miles away and 3 hours work. Just had a full paying job come it too for that night - just my luck - but as I have a wedding fayre the next day on balance to get done by 10:00pm and to bed ready for selling the next day is the right thing.

Happy enough on balance. I was just interested as it caught me on the hop and she booked us, so fair enough. If I can get some more on an afternoon in the future at same money then job done.

Cheers folks.

Gary (GDK)
07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I've got a 13 year old party tonight - ive charged pro rata for it.

Its for someone who works in a school I've worked at once and looking to become more regular there. I explained the pricing structure to her to - and said I've knocked a bit off for a 10pm finish.

For this, Kam par bar, 2 scanners and a haze machine is all i need.

DB Entertainments
26-01-2011, 11:32 PM
No speakers?? ;)

Gary (GDK)
27-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Nah mate - use the hifi in the club :P

Nah, used my gemini bass bin and tops :)

Charlie Brown
27-01-2011, 10:39 AM
£135 but recently £145 if the venue is longer than 20 minutes away.

DB Entertainments
27-01-2011, 07:10 PM
...and well worth it me thinks Charlie after seeing your Video the other day - top stuff!

Charlie Brown
27-01-2011, 07:13 PM
...and well worth it me thinks Charlie after seeing your Video the other day - top stuff!

Naaaah.

DB Entertainments
27-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I was thinking about you last night when I was doing a kids party...... much respect mate - thats one hell of a lot of energy you were putting out - kids must of been having a whale of a time :)

hammy
27-01-2011, 07:25 PM
i have a 10th birthday on saturday afternoon and I`m dreading it, Charlie send some of your spirit this way :beer1:

Charlie Brown
27-01-2011, 07:29 PM
i have a 10th birthday on saturday afternoon and I`m dreading it, Charlie send some of your spirit this way :beer1:

Saturday!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Special Delivery it is. :D :D

abracadabradisco
27-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Seeing some of the fees on here it is no wonder the phone was put down by someone enquiring for the price of kids party for 2 hrs this afternoon. I had been recommended by someone who had been to a 2 hr party last Sat and said I was very good. When I answered £170 she put the phone down.
I do disco games and magic for 2 hrs and am booked almost every weekend, had 2 clear last year.
www.abracadabramagic.co.uk
www.abracadabradisco.co.uk

gezzerboy
07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Have done quite a few 13th birthdays over the last few months and normally charge about £120 for them. I agree with others though that 2 1/2 hours is normally enough before the kids start mucking around and being a pain in the butt :)

Charlie Brown
07-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Have done quite a few 13th birthdays over the last few months and normally charge about £120 for them. I agree with others though that 2 1/2 hours is normally enough before the kids start mucking around and being a pain in the butt :)

Any longer than 2 hours and I'll turn the booking down.

Excalibur
07-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I've got one on Friday which came from Goodparty,it's a teen party, and the customer booked at adult rate. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. nice.

Shakermaker Promotions
07-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I had a call first thing this morning for a 3 year olds party.
Luckily they only wanted light hire so it's a few quid for a couple of hours.
If I do a kids party, it is generally 10 years old and above.

ppentertainments
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I've got one on Friday which came from Goodparty,it's a teen party, and the customer booked at adult rate. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. nice.
What, £45 - seems to be adult rate on goodparty :eek: :eek:

Excalibur
07-02-2011, 08:36 PM
What, £45 - seems to be adult rate on goodparty :eek: :eek:

Ha ha, how droll. Laugh, I thought I'd never start. :p :D :D :D :D

Funnily enough, this is the first Goodparty gig I've secured. And at above my normal rate., whereas before, I've been too dear. :confused: :confused:

Matty12
07-02-2011, 08:46 PM

There easy.

Gary (GDK)
09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Some 13 years are ok for 3 hours..

Some should just have 2 hours...

Some are "older" than others.

Weird I know.

milo
27-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm down in Thanet (the arse end of Kent) – There’s no jobs or money down here, so I can’t go anywhere near London prices, but I charge £120.00 for a 2 hour kids party. I’m usually booked out at least two months in advance and I do one every Friday 4:30 – 6:30, two on Saturday 12:00 – 2:00 & 16:00 – 18:00 and two on a Sunday at the same times. If someone really wants 3 hours I’ll do it for £150.00. I don’t go further than 10 miles from my home, so I’m always back in time for dinner at 7pm :o)