PDA

View Full Version : sixty quid sid is back

hammy
06-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I just had a long conversation with a prospective client and he said he was ringing around getting quotes,after giving him my quote for a 5 hour disco on a saturday night he told me that i was a bit high and i asked him what is the lowest quote he has had, He said "£100" for a 5 hour disco!.I sent him to my website and asked him to read the posting under "what to know about a Dj", he rang me back half hour later and booked me,So sixty quid sid beware

On another note there are a lot of members saying they are really quiet,since yesterday i have been non stop quoting,so hopefully a good sign of things to come :o

Vectis
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Never a good idea to put negative advertising on your own site.

There's a great put-em-off website you can point them at - I shan't name it, but it has the words 'cheap', 'disco' and '.com' in it ;)

Corabar Entertainment
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
"sixty quid sid is back"

:confused: I wasn't aware he'd gone anywhere :confused:

He is always going to be there; he's never going away; he operates in everyone's area....

...but not in everyone's market ;)

Jason
06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I got in to two enquiries, both on the same day when I've already got a booking..doh!
May 21st appears to be popular! lol

I've a wedding in a few weeks where the brides OH suggested she only pay £150. My quote was more than double this (but I did provide lower options), and they still booked.
We did meet them (something they appreciated), and I'm being flexible with Payments (so lots of £50/60 payments, rather than a large balance payment).
There are some very low priced DJs out there, I don't say anything negative about them to clients, but do show confidence in what we can do for them.

I still get the "how much" enquiries and quote as normal, and sometimes get a booking at a good rate - if they are up for a chat.

Mark Wild
06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Well I managed the first paragraph of the 'long read' under 'what to know about a DJ' on your website. Do you think people read all of that? lol

Charlie Brown
06-01-2011, 08:36 PM
There's a great put-em-off website you can point them at - I shan't name it, but it has the words 'cheap', 'disco' and '.com' in it ;)

Why can't you? :confused:

ppentertainments
06-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Why do we bother with threads like this ??? If I was to list everytime someone told me they had been offered a sub £100 disco I would be here forever.

Today alone, I have been offered a residency for weddings at £45, a school disco wanting to pay no more than £60 and a wedding who has a offer of a DJ for £75.

Excalibur
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Today alone, I have been offered a residency for weddings at £45, a school disco wanting to pay no more than £60 and a wedding who has a offer of a DJ for £75.
Blimey, you'll be busy then! Well done on securing so much work. :(

ppentertainments
06-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Blimey, you'll be busy then! Well done on securing so much work. :(
I didn't, I passed your details on :D :D :D

Danno13
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Why do we bother with threads like this ??? If I was to list everytime someone told me they had been offered a sub £100 disco I would be here forever.

Agreed. I don't know what could possibly be constructive about a thread like this? Stop worrying about what the idiots are doing, their clients obviously aren't yours.

NKR
06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Well I managed the first paragraph of the 'long read' under 'what to know about a DJ' on your website. Do you think people read all of that? lol

I really could not be bothered reading all that, but then again I know what its going to say.

Price rise is on the cards for me this year. Got issues we need to deal with! Emergency meeting called with my business partner this Saturday. Time to stop being hobbyists in a way!

No I can't ever give up my day job, but we are having to quote some serious stuff and get into performance agreements. Watch this space.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Agreed. I don't know what could possibly be constructive about a thread like this? Stop worrying about what the idiots are doing, their clients obviously aren't yours.

Couldnt of said it better myself. People booking the cheapest guys certainly arent my target market.

Also I have to say the whole negative marketing isnt a good way to go. Just tell clients what they get when they book you etc.. :)

Jonathan Ford
06-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Couldnt of said it better myself. People booking the cheapest guys certainly arent my target market.

Also I have to say the whole negative marketing isnt a good way to go. Just tell clients what they get when they book you etc.. :)

Agreed. However, it's very frustrating when our "target market" don't read the plan, and we end up losing work to muppets.

ppentertainments
06-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Agreed. However, it's very frustrating when our "target market" don't read the plan, and we end up losing work to muppets.
Devil's advocate - there are a lot of people who WERE in your market who find themselves not in your market - you have to question if these agencies farming out cheap DJ's and sid himself have the right idea ???? - As I say devil's advocate.

TONYTIGER
07-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Right in to the Lions Den,when has the price of a disco had anything to do with the quality.I know plenty of mobiles sub £ 150 that will blow away most of the £ 300+ brigade.I have one that is local to me that charges £ 120 the big difference he is a amazing Dj something money cant buy.

Silver Bullet
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Right in to the Lions Den,when has the price of a disco had anything to do with the quality.I know plenty of mobiles sub £ 150 that will blow away most of the £ 300+ brigade.I have one that is local to me that charges £ 120 the big difference he is a amazing Dj something money cant buy.:agree:
Some people get hung up on fancy gear, big shows etc, and charge what they think they can get away with. All that matters are the punters at the end of the day. If somebody can put on a good night at a bargain price then fair play to them.

Mark Wild
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I have one that is local to me that charges £ 120 the big difference he is a amazing Dj something money cant buy.

If that's what he thinks he's worth, fair play to him ;) I bet your boy charges a bit more than that huh? Why is that?

TONYTIGER
07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
If that's what he thinks he's worth, fair play to him ;) I bet your boy charges a bit more than that huh? Why is that?

Firstly the boy as you call him is not a mobile DJ as you know,even in his sector fees have halved since 2000 ,hence why he now produces music more profitable.
And as i said don,t knock the lads who don,t charge much to many big egos out there IMHO.

Out of interest i can know book very well known household name club Djs cheaper than some mobiles.

StarZSoundS
07-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Right in to the Lions Den,when has the price of a disco had anything to do with the quality.I know plenty of mobiles sub £ 150 that will blow away most of the £ 300+ brigade.I have one that is local to me that charges £ 120 the big difference he is a amazing Dj something money cant buy.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Theres going into the Lions Den...and theres also putting your head in the Lions Mouth.....I think you've just done that Tony!!!

Ouch.....Good Luck!!;) ;) ;) ;)

Mark Wild
07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Firstly the boy as you call him is not a mobile DJ as you know,even in his sector fees have halved since 2000 ,hence why he now produces music more profitable.
And as i said don,t knock the lads who don,t charge much to many big egos out there IMHO.

Out of interest i can know book very well known household name club Djs cheaper than some mobiles.

Your boy, not the boy, big difference.

What household name DJ can you book for the same price as some mobiles? You going to back that up?

Vectis
07-01-2011, 09:13 AM

I can book Frankie Boyle cheaper than Bruce Forsyth ... but I'm planning a family light entertainment show...

Horses for courses.

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I know plenty of mobiles sub £ 150 that will blow away most of the £ 300+ brigade. I have one that is local to me that charges £ 120 the big difference he is a amazing Dj something money cant buy.

When have you been out and reviewed "most of the £300+ brigade" then? Sounds like the punter that says "we all want some Tinchy!"

Silver Bullet
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Surely it's all about justifying our costs, we all know our overheads and charge accordingly. (I hope ;))
If the £300 pound guys want to put on a fancy show with all the whistles & bells that's fine. Equally if the £100 pound crew feel they can do a VFM job and still show a profit then that's fine also.
They are probably playing to two different market anyway.

Also is it not about the area you work in. If somebody tried to charge £300 in my area they would be laughed out of town, but I expect in a busy area with good venues it's probably the norm.

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 09:47 AM

But money can buy a mortgage, food, council tax, income tax, electricity, gas................. £120 a gig cannot.

You have to understand to most this is a hobby, to some it supplements an income, to a few it is an income - factors which make a big difference with pricing.

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Surely it's all about justifying our costs, we all know our overheads and charge accordingly. (I hope ;))
If the £300 pound guys want to put on a fancy show with all the whistles & bells that's fine. Equally if the £100 pound crew feel they can do a VFM job and still show a profit then that's fine also.
They are probably playing to two different market anyway.

Also is it not about the area you work in. If somebody tried to charge £300 in my area they would be laughed out of town, but I expect in a busy area with good venues it's probably the norm.

Huzzar! always pleased to see a "You'll never get that around here post":muppet:

Vectis
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
If somebody tried to charge £300 in my area they would be laughed out of town

Not that old chestnut... :p

I regularly get enquiries for all over Cumbria (towns as well as rural) that meet or exceed this amount. :)

simonp
07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
What household name DJ can you book for the same price as some mobiles? You going to back that up?

DJ Budgie-Man - Waheeeyyyyyy :rofl:

Mark Wild
07-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Waheeeyyyyyy !!!! LOL !

Silver Bullet
07-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Not that old chestnut... :p

I regularly get enquiries for all over Cumbria (towns as well as rural) that meet or exceed this amount. :)Believe me, not in my area of the County. Big hotels in the lakes and holiday area maybe, and you will probably find that the people booking these functions are from out of the area and have come here for the big wedding experience.
Take it from me in the rural backwaters for a normal funtion you are looking at £140-£200.

Corabar Steve
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Waheeeyyyyyy !!!! LOL !
Push pineapple :sj:

:ontopic:

TONYTIGER
07-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Your boy, not the boy, big difference.

Just done Jules for £ 500.

DJ Tony McQue
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Believe me, not in my area of the County. Big hotels in the lakes and holiday area maybe, and you will probably find that the people booking these functions are from out of the area and have come here for the big wedding experience.
Take it from me in the rural backwaters for a normal funtion you are looking at £140-£200.

I know a man from your neck of the woods and who happens to post on here who may disagree with that statement going by the qauilty of rigs he puts out.

I went to a great wedding in Kendal a few years back, the DJ was local and was spot on. I'm not quite sure where I am going with this statement.. :daft:

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Believe me, not in my area of the County. Big hotels in the lakes and holiday area maybe, and you will probably find that the people booking these functions are from out of the area and have come here for the big wedding experience.
Travel a few miles :confused: :confused:

Silver Bullet
07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Travel a few miles :confused: :confused:I'd rather not thanks I'm quite happy doing what I do in the area I do.
If I traveled further afield then it stands to reason My costs would have to go up significantly to cover the increased time & transportation costs.
I'd rather fill my time with £150 jobs within a few miles of home than £300 gigs halfway across the county.

TONYTIGER
07-01-2011, 12:10 PM
You are all missing the point as i stated price does not Guarantee a good disco or DJ so all the harping on about £ 60 Sid is a waste of time.
I understand that some of you do this job full time and have to charge accordingly but it does not mean that you are better.
I have been in this game much longer than most and book Djs throughout the world (mostly Club) so my comments on this subject are pretty accurate and was only using this as a example how things have changed in this sector.
Everybody has the right to charge what they like and i have no problem with this.

Mark Wild
07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
:Sleeping:

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I'd rather not thanks I'm quite happy doing what I do in the area I do.
If I traveled further afield then it stands to reason My costs would have to go up significantly to cover the increased time & transportation costs.
I'd rather fill my time with £150 jobs within a few miles of home than £300 gigs halfway across the county.
So whats your problem ??

Silver Bullet
07-01-2011, 01:22 PM
So whats your problem ??I don't actually have one.
I was just trying to make a few relevant points and join in the discussion. I thought that was what forums were all about.

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't actually have one.
I was just trying to make a few relevant points and join in the discussion. I thought that was what forums were all about.
Apologies then, just you insinuated that where you live you would be laughed at for charging £300. I know the area very well and know that statement not to be true.

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
We ought to have a smiley that is triggered by the words "you'll never get that around here!" apart from the obvious :muppet:, :bang: and :BS:

yourdj
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Never a good idea to put negative advertising on your own site.

C

What about this then:

I have a bit on the front page saying 10 questions to ask when booking a DJ.
It does not compare my services to anyone else but educates the customer on what to ask.
Clients have thanked me for that even if they did not end up booking me :o

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/questions-to-ask-when-booking-a-dj.html

funkymook
07-01-2011, 02:00 PM
What about this then:

It does not compare my services to anyone else but educates the customer on what to ask.
Clients have thanked me for that even if they did not end up booking me :o

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/questions-to-ask-when-booking-a-dj.html

It's a slightly different way of presenting FAQ's.

Vectis
07-01-2011, 02:02 PM
What about this then:

It should be re-spun as a list of 10 reasons why you should book Your DJ, IMHO.

StarZSoundS
07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't actually have one.

David...resistance is futile.Like me you'll have to accept that people 200 miles away from you know your market better than you.;) ;) ;)

Nod your head politely and move on.....you're better of choosing an argument with a subject matter that you can win!!:) :) :)

funkymook
07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
'Here are a few questions to ask if you are looking for a qulity entertainer:'

And another question to add - Does your DJ use a spellchecker? :D

Vectis
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
David...resistance is futile.Like me you'll have to accept that people 200 miles away from you know your market better than you.;) ;) ;)

I might be 350 miles away but I know his market very well indeed ;)

Vectis
07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Does your DJ use a spellchecker? :D

... well he certainly doesn't use a grammar checker :p

Silver Bullet
07-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Nod your head politely and move on.....you're better of choosing an argument with a subject matter that you can win!!:) :) :)Yeah I know what you are saying :)

The area I cover is around 150 square miles with lots of little villages, no big hotels, two small market towns with a population of under 2500 each.
If you can get jobs that pay £300 around here then you must be really special.

andyw
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Nod your head politely and move on.....you're better of choosing an argument with a subject matter that you can win!!:) :) :)

do you not think some of them know his market, because they have been there got the t-shirt bought the video and then moved on, there is a big difference between getting laughed at for trying to get £300+ gigs and i don't want to travel a few miles to get them, every area has the sub £100 market but they also have the £300 gigs, you just have to know the market you are aiming for and price yourself in it and set your show up accordingly, nothing wrong with either market as long as everyone is legal and everyone is happy:)

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM

thank you so much for your disparaging remarks Martin, but we are prone to get lulled into the idea that travelling 20 miles or so to tap into a rich seam is not beyond the pale for anyone that takes this business seriously:bang:

funkymook
07-01-2011, 02:23 PM
... well he certainly doesn't use a grammar checker :p

and I can see a pricing error!

Toby, so we don't hijack this thread (and as you haven't actually asked for feedback on your site) - if you'd like people to give it a once over start a new thread and I for one would be happy to go through it. There's quite a bit I've seen even at a quick glance. :)

StarZSoundS
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I might be 350 miles away but I know his market very well indeed ;)

Without even knowing what his rig looks like......???

Maybe David has his own aspirations.Maybe he loves his job so much he wants to be out offering a quality legitiimate service at a reasonable rate....instead of hanging around waiting for the next big-payer that may or may not appear.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe there are a lot of DJ's out there like him.....I come across them all the time....and they get equal respect from me as anyone with the latest Booth,Moving Heads and Denon product...:) :) :)

The trouble is that they are sometimes shy to post on Forums like this for fear of ridicule.....and that saddens me!!

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Maybe there are a lot of DJ's out there like him.....I come across them all the time....and they get equal respect from me as anyone with the latest Booth,Moving Heads and Denon product...:) :) :)

When will you realise that it has naff all to do with kit!

TONYTIGER
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Maybe David has his own aspirations.Maybe he loves his job so much he wants to be out offering a quality legitiimate service at a reasonable rate....instead of hanging around waiting for the next big-payer that may or may not appear.:eek: :eek: :eek:

The trouble is that they are sometimes shy to post on Forums like this for fear of ridicule.....and that saddens me!!

Your last 2 posts were spot on keep them coming your a Star.:)

Corabar Entertainment
07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Maybe he loves his job so much he wants to be out offering a quality legitiimate service at a reasonable rate.
So if you enjoy a job, you're not allowed to make a living out of it?

Martin, by your own admission, you're a hobbyist who doesn't need to make money out of DJing, so please stop running down people do DO want to make their living in this game.

every area has the sub £100 market but they also have the £300 gigs, you just have to know the market you are aiming for and price yourself in it and set your show up accordingly, nothing wrong with either market as long as everyone is legal and everyone is happySpot on! :approve:

If you're happy with the fee you get, that's fine.... there is work available at all levels (just as there is in every market). Others who are commanding a higher fee aren't saying "You should be charging.......", merely saying to those who AREN'T happy with the fee they get that they CAN do something about it. That is a VERY different thing altogether!

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I've laboured this point until I'm sick of posting it. I have no problem with Sid, I love him, he goes to all the nasty little place I don't want to go to, and works for the amount of money that is frankly silly, but...that's his choice.
What I do have a problem with is Sid telling me that he works for £60 coz he will never get more around here - he gets £60 because that what he believes he is worth- It doesn't matter where Sid lives, round and about (Please refer to the forum title MOBILE) there are Solicitors, Doctors, Accountants, Business people that are minted, living in Houses worth a packet, and near to venues that charge a fortune, who will spend what they want, when they want to

StarZSoundS
07-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Your last 2 posts were spot on keep them coming your a Star.:)

Tony.....What I like about you is you have shown pix of yourself and your rig turned out immaculately....but you still have respect for the £200 a night bread and butter DJ's that are the mainstream of our business.:) :)

Excellent,Effective,Talented,Knowledgeable,Legal INDIVIDUALS.Most of my DJ Mates fall into that Category and they all,like me( I hope),give a very positive impression of the business....hardly any of them post on here(except for the ones that I have introduced)probably for the reasons I mentioned.;) ;)

But slowly but surely there are a few more putting their head above the trenches.....and I hope we encourage them!!!:beer1: :beer1:

Boy....Oh Boy.....you can learn a lot from the lads (and lasses) on this site but if its ok with you i'll pick the bits out that I can use to enhance my business .....rather than striving to be a clone of WHOEVER (pick a name ....you all have your own Idols on here).

David is happy with his place in the market:claphands: ....so am I.

funkymook
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Extrapolate the 'you won't get that around here' argument to other services, cars, food, clothes etc. and it really doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Corabar Entertainment
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Which is absolutely fantastic - but do you have to run down others who are in a different market to show it?

How is that any different to what you say others are doing to you?

StarZSoundS
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Martin, by your own admission, you're a hobbyist

Angela...sorry statements that like make my jaw drop!!:eek: :eek:

I'll admit I'm a Hobbyist(though it seems you may be using it in a derogatory way if I have to ADMIT to it).But I think I create an equally positive impression of the business as some of the Proffesionals on here.;) ;) ;)

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Oh I thought your place in the market was determined by your lack of technical knowledge?

StarZSoundS
07-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Oh I thought your place in the market was determined by your lack of technical knowledge?

Boy....you're clever.....Good Spot Pete.:) :) :)

There is that as well!! :D :D :D :D :D

soundtracker
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Boy....you're clever.....Good Spot Pete.:) :) :)

There is that as well!! :D :D :D :D :D

Would you like me to get Colin over here you ease your self-esteem issues again?

Corabar Entertainment
07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Angela...sorry statements that like make my jaw drop!!:eek: :eek:

I'll admit I'm a Hobbyist(though it seems you may be using it in a derogatory way if I have to ADMIT to it).But I think I create an equally positive impression of the business as some of the Proffesionals on here.;) ;) ;)

There you go putting words in my mouth again to try and say that I am insulting you, then going on to defend something that I haven't even mentioned...

...and completely ignoring all of the salient points / questions I have raised.

:bang: :bang:

Breath
Wasting
My

...re-arrange :daft:

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I have an idea.

Those who think they can't get more than x amount for their area crack on. Enjoy your low-mid budget market.

Those who believe they can earn more money and that within any given geographical area there are higher earners and people who are willing to pay more for a service crack on too.

I know which one I'm in.

Funny really. cos there's people round here saying they can't get more than xxx too...

Excalibur
07-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Funny really. cos there's people round here saying they can't get more than xxx too...

Put me down for a few of the tried and tested ripostes, would you please? I'm going out to a gig soon, and haven't time to type them all out. ;) Ta.

simonp
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Just done Jules for £ 500.

:BS: That means his price has actually gone down by £250 from 1998 - FACT, 'cause I used to hand him his dinero - sheesh - how does he pay his bills

funkymook
07-01-2011, 04:38 PM
:BS: That means his price has actually gone down by £250 from 1998 - FACT, 'cause I used to hand him his dinero - sheesh - how does he pay his bills

Mates rates?

andyw
07-01-2011, 04:39 PM

he wouldn't get that round here:)

Corabar Steve
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Obviously losing his pulling power. Won't be too long before he's on the "Chicken in a basket" circuit with Blackburn et al

DiscosMobile
07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Well you go offline for a day and all this interesting debating happens :)

I work for an agent and get £150-£175 that's fine.. I don't do any work in getting the leads, selling my service, costs me nothing to get a gig, i just get a phone call making sure i am available and an e-mail to process.. I also know he only charges about £225-£250 so is not too rude in his commission, he gives me at least 60/80 gigs a year to help fill my diary and I get the same price midweek too.. Its not great its not enough to pay my mortgage & bills it is what it is..

In Social Clubs through my step dad he sends alot of gigs my way and I charge between £175 & £225 dependant on lighting etc. Believe me there are lots of DJ's in my area I am next to Blackpool with the 000's of hotels all have Mr Sid and a University next door with cheap student DJ's (one of which i entered into conversation with about prices and was literally thrown out of the venue when she took offence at me saying £80 was not enough to live off a week. Her argument was she was on £10 an hour and did 8 hours a week and where else could she get £10 an hour from..) if any of you think you have a problem with cheap DJ's pop down to my neck of the water and its saturated.

Now those our my prices for Local work.. If I was going out of area I would charge another £1 a mile journey time and miles do if I were to go to London I would get another £200 for travelling there and £200 for travelling back making my day worth £625 :) worth it for travelling..

I am also charging more than that now, usually because I have the standard rig which everyone gets above prices, but then I have the custom one and for some cheap uplighting, laser and led lights etc can offer a custom option..

Meet with the customers before hand, maybe at the venue before you even discuss money, show them video's of you in action maybe take a pin spot plugging it in at locations uplighting would look good and ask them would you like this and 10 more around the room for your wedding?, make yourself more valuable than £xxx

Do you future mr & mrs want your name in lights? Led or Laser ok thats gonna cost you another £xx maybe £xxx. Or even custom GOBO's for your Martin Mac :)

It boils down to

1) Providing a service better than your competitors not just a telephone booking line.
2) Customer Service and meeting the clients needs and wants.
3) Provide Value in what gear your offering for the price quoted.

As we always say price is what sells but do they want their event to be special or just another disco??

Like I said in my first post I am looking for more work but better paid work.. I will still have my cheapish for standard rig, but if the customers want something special they should pay for it and that's how you get more money..

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Like I said in my first post I am looking for more work but better paid work.. I will still have my cheapish for standard rig, but if the customers want something special they should pay for it and that's how you get more money..

You didn't listen to what a lot of people have been saying then?

Ecstatic Events
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Entertaining thread, I cant really add any value. So i'll end it there :)

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah I know what you are saying :)

The area I cover is around 150 square miles with lots of little villages, no big hotels, two small market towns with a population of under 2500 each.
If you can get jobs that pay £300 around here then you must be really special.
Where in Cumbria are you ?? I often travel across to that county as it is actually easier to get better money there :sofa:

hammy
07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
wow didnt i just open a can of worms,now im going back into hiding:D

MORGEY
07-01-2011, 08:45 PM
As a newby who knows sod all about disco's, this has been a great read for me. Don't know how to copy quotes yet but.

DiscosMobile
1) Providing a service better than your competitors not just a telephone booking line.
2) Customer Service and meeting the clients needs and wants.
3) Provide Value in what gear your offering for the price quoted.

You will do well as you have an understanding of how business really works, not just the disco world. Price is not always the big issue, what you provide is.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Where in Cumbria are you ?? I often travel across to that county as it is actually easier to get better money there :sofa:

Im wondering the same thing too, as a quick check of my bookings for the next twelve months and all, bar a couple of local gigs for friends of friends, are £400+...and guess what...IM CUMBRIAN ;) :D

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Im wondering the same thing too, as a quick check of my bookings for the next twelve months and all, bar a couple of local gigs for friends of friends, are £400+...and guess what...IM CUMBRIAN ;) :D
You must be lying :D :D

Dynamic Entertainment
07-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah...I travel over to Chester-le-Street for that kind of money ;)

Johnny P
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
You must be lying :D :D

no he could be cumbrian!

Ecstatic Events
07-01-2011, 09:31 PM
£400+...and guess what...IM CUMBRIAN ;) :D

Nah, you can only get that kind of money down south :)

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Nah, you can only get that kind of money down south :)
You don't go out that cheap darn south :D

Silver Bullet
08-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Where in Cumbria are you ?? I often travel across to that county as it is actually easier to get better money there :sofa:I work in and around the Kirkby Stephen area.
If your ever working in my area let me know, I would love to see what you are doing, may be I could get some pointers.

DiscosMobile
08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Just thought this might be the place to add this..

http://www.jukeboxhire.co.uk/prices.html

Price it up a Jukebox - Cheapest £295 + £75 for some speakers £65 for a couple of pins and mini moons £435 total to have your very own Jukebox party..

Quote from site "Jukeboxes are a great way of entertaining your guests and provide a visual showpiece. A jukebox is much better than having a DJ."

hmm.. I had a point to make but cant remember what it was.. Jukeboxes might take over the world and get more money than us haha..

Dynamic Entertainment
08-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I work in and around the Kirkby Stephen area.
If your ever working in my area let me know, I would love to see what you are doing, may be I could get some pointers.

Your no more than a hop step and a jump from a couple of decent venues which pay decent prices. Kendals Castle Green, Appleby manor, North Lakes at Penrith are just 3 that immediately spring to mind. Then if you travel a tad further you have The Inn On The Lake.

Granted I cant think of alot immediately im Kirkby Stephen...but the travel is worth it.

I would rather go out for one £300 gig than 2 £150 gigs.

As its not been said yet...."Work Smarter, not harder". ;)

Silver Bullet
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Your no more than a hop step and a jump from a couple of decent venues which pay decent prices. Kendals Castle Green, Appleby manor, North Lakes at Penrith are just 3 that immediately spring to mind. Then if you travel a tad further you have The Inn On The Lake.

Granted I cant think of alot immediately im Kirkby Stephen...but the travel is worth it.

I would rather go out for one £300 gig than 2 £150 gigs.

As its not been said yet...."Work Smarter, not harder". ;)As I said in an earlier post I do not really want to travel, been there, done that, I'd now rather work closer to home.

I know of the venues you mentioned. I have played all of them in my younger days.

Appleby Manor already has a DJ they use regularly.

Castle Green awkward to get to for me, and it's not the easiest lift in & out.

I am doing a wedding at the North Lakes this summer but TBH it's not a venue I like. The reason I am doing it under duress, is it's a friend of a friend, and I did the guys 21st so he wanted me to do his wedding, and before you ask yes I am charging quite a bit more than £150 to cover the extra expenses etc. ;)

ppentertainments
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
As I said in an earlier post I do not really want to travel, been there, done that, I'd now rather work closer to home.

I know of the venues you mentioned. I have played all of them in my younger days.

Appleby Manor already has a DJ they use regularly.

Castle Green awkward to get to for me, and it's not the easiest lift in & out.

I am doing a wedding at the North Lakes this summer but TBH it's not a venue I like. The reason I am doing it under duress, is it's a friend of a friend, and I did the guys 21st so he wanted me to do his wedding, and before you ask yes I am charging quite a bit more than £150 to cover the extra expenses etc. ;)
With so many limitations though, you are not giving yourself any chance to improve fees - if thats what you want.

BTW - we are having a DJ meet on Tuesday in Darlington if you are interested ??

Silver Bullet
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
With so many limitations though, you are not giving yourself any chance to improve fees - if thats what you want. But I never said I did. I am quite happy working locally, with the very occasional trip further afield when I have to.
I just don't see why those of us who are prepared to work in a market where the punters have limited budgets are getting knocked for it. You can be a good DJ and put on a half decent show at a lower price if needs must.

BTW - we are having a DJ meet on Tuesday in Darlington if you are interested ??Thanks for that. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet on Tuesday night, but I'll have a think and get back to you if that's OK.

Corabar Entertainment
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I just don't see why those of us who are prepared to work in a market where the punters have limited budgets are getting knocked for it. :confused: Who has? :confused:

andyw
08-01-2011, 04:31 PM
But I never said I did. I am quite happy working locally, with the very occasional trip further afield when I have to.
I just don't see why those of us who are prepared to work in a market where the punters have limited budgets are getting knocked for it. You can be a good DJ and put on a half decent show at a lower price if needs must.
i don't think the guys are knocking anyone in the cheaper bracket, we do knock the £60 sid who goes out with no legal tunes, and don't declare to the taxman anything he earns, those we knock and rightly so imo, but there is nothing wrong with doing the £150 gigs, this argument always starts with someone saying "you won't get this round here", as with yourself, it's more you don't want to travel a bit or you don't want to be in that market (which is fine) but nothing to do with the area
:beer1:
if i can say i would go to the meeting if you could,great for networking

Corabar Entertainment
08-01-2011, 05:09 PM
i don't think the guys are knocking anyone in the cheaper bracket, we do knock the £60 sid who goes out with no legal tunes, and don't declare to the taxman anything he earns, those we knock and rightly so imo, but there is nothing wrong with doing the £150 gigs, this argument always starts with someone saying "you won't get this round here", as with yourself, it's more you don't want to travel a bit or you don't want to be in that market (which is fine) but nothing to do with the area
:beer1::thumbsup: Spot on! :)

StarZSoundS
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I think there are three streams of DJ's.....

Stream 1.....The Top Liners on here....choose your own suspects.Have to have the latest gear...great visual effects.....Mackies or Bose Speakers.They are value DJ's but expensive by comparisom.

Stream 2 ....The Mainstream DJ's(where I consider I sit).These are busy DJ's.Adaptable,Professional,Legal and a credit to the profession.They turn out a no-frills adequate rig.

Stream 3.....Who is this Sid anyway??I've never met a DJ called Sid??I've no need to describe him....you will all have your own picture.Do I hate him??NO!!As yet he has not impinged on my market...because its a market I have created for myself.

My market are never going to go to Stream 1 or Stream 3 because they get outstanding value from stream 2.They probably don't even realise Stream 1 and Stream 3 exist.

Consequently I neither look up to Stream 1 or down on Stream 3.....neither of them are a factor in my business.What I do have is a respect for all DJ's whatever stream they are in because it can be the most difficult :Censored: job in the World.:beer1: :beer1:

Silver Bullet
09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
:beer1:
if i can say i would go to the meeting if you could,great for networkingI do get the feeling that a few of the higher end market do look down on us in the middle and consider us as £60 Sids, even though we do do a legitimate professional job.

I'm sorry I ever used the "you won't get this round here" I didn't know there was such an aversion to it on these forums, I will never say it again ;)
I do stand behind it though, I know my area and clients well!! Just outside my area then OK yes, it is possible I will grant you that.

Stream 1.....The Top Liners on here....choose your own suspects.Have to have the latest gear...great visual effects.....Mackies or Bose Speakers.They are value DJ's but expensive by comparisom.

Stream 2 ....The Mainstream DJ's(where I consider I sit).These are busy DJ's.Adaptable,Professional,Legal and a credit to the profession.They turn out a no-frills adequate rig.

Stream 3.....Who is this Sid anyway??I've never met a DJ called Sid??I've no need to describe him....you will all have your own picture.Do I hate him??NO!!As yet he has not impinged on my market...because its a market I have created for myself.

My market are never going to go to Stream 1 or Stream 3 because they get outstanding value from stream 2.They probably don't even realise Stream 1 and Stream 3 exist.

Consequently I neither look up to Stream 1 or down on Stream 3.....neither of them are a factor in my business.What I do have is a respect for all DJ's whatever stream they are in because it can be the most difficult :Censored: job in the World.:beer1: :beer1:Absolutely! Put me down for Stream 2. :) :beer1:

soundtracker
09-01-2011, 08:48 AM

There you go again - how many more times - it is not about the gear. The thing that makes the top end people stand out from the rest is the dedication to providing a top notch professional service, right from the initial contact, right through to the customer feedback and advocacy.

I also think that there are a lot more categories than those you describe, I certainly don't fit any of yours, however I haven't got time to debate at the mo, got to go and see a client.

soundtracker
09-01-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry I ever used the "you won't get this round here" I didn't know there was such an aversion to it on these forums, I will never say it again ;)
I do stand behind it though, I know my area and clients well!! Just outside my area then OK yes, it is possible I will grant you that.
:

and of course we didn't know that you weren't mobile!

Silver Bullet
09-01-2011, 08:58 AM
and of course we didn't know that you weren't mobile!Ahh but I am mobile, just not as mobile as some others, just don't feel the need anymore :beatnik:

StarZSoundS
09-01-2011, 09:32 AM
There you go again - how many more times - it is not about the gear. The thing that makes the top end people stand out from the rest is the dedication to providing a top notch professional service, right from the initial contact, right through to the customer feedback and advocacy.

Wow Pete....

Maybe I belong in Stream 1 after all then:confused: :confused:

Not that it bothers me.....of course!!:) :) :)

Jonathan Ford
09-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Consequently I neither look up to Stream 1 or down on Stream 3.....neither of them are a factor in my business.What I do have is a respect for all DJ's whatever stream they are in because it can be the most difficult :Censored: job in the World.:beer1: :beer1:

"Sid" is a factor in all of our businesses. Every time he lets someone down, it tars the whole industry.

Corabar Steve
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM

I also think that there are a lot more categories than those you describe, I certainly don't fit any of yours, however I haven't got time to debate at the mo, got to go and see a client.
I agree completely. There are at least 2 more levels between 1 & 2 for a start

Silver Bullet
09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
"Sid" is a factor in all of our businesses. Every time he lets someone down, it tars the whole industry.I don't see how?
Surely like in an other walk of life, if somebody buys a product or service purely on the fact that it is the cheapest, and they are let down, next time they are more careful in their purchase.

andyw
09-01-2011, 11:59 AM

starzsounds, sometimes i read your post's and i think you are great, then sometimes you drive me mad with frustration, but you are normally entertaining, just my thoughts on the last bit, sometimes you come across as looking down on stream 1, by always bringing a gear thing into it( i think/hope you know it is far more then that):)

I do get the feeling that a few of the higher end market do look down on us in the middle and consider us as £60 Sids, even though we do do a legitimate professional job.

Absolutely! Put me down for Stream 2. :) :beer1:

put me down in stream 2 as well(although like steve points out i think there are a few more levels) but I have roadied for someone in stream 1 a fair bit, and he has helped me out no end
as I pointed out a lot of these threads go in this direction when someone says "you won't get that around here" but I will agree with you in sometimes they are started( and I used to find this on another forum a lot more then this one) is by (what i would call a wannabe ) who thinks that just by increasing his prices (and not improving himself or his show) he can then call others below him sids (because they are proving the same show at a price lower then theirs,:muppet: )
I think daz said earlier those that want to improve carry on and those that don't carry on, which really should some it up imo, we don't need to be knocking each other over it, we should all strive to provide the best we can in our own sector, and get the best price available to us,

Vectis
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I don't see how?
Surely like in an other walk of life, if somebody buys a product or service purely on the fact that it is the cheapest, and they are let down, next time they are more careful in their purchase.

Sadly most people book a mobile disco once or twice in their life, ever :(

Dynamic Entertainment
09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't see how?

And what about the countless people who think;

"That Dj was crap, next I'm going with a band or doing it myself"

STEVE HANLEY
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
No matter what category you may fall into. Don't you want to move up to the ones above you? I know I do:)

Silver Bullet
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Sadly most people book a mobile disco once or twice in their life, ever :(Yes, I do get that point, but, if other family or friends are booking a function, then the don't use so & so he's rubbish would hopefully crop up

And what about the countless people who think;

"That Dj was crap, next I'm going with a band or doing it myself"

....In my experience if they don't want to fork out the money for a decent DJ they certainly won't be booking a band.
I have had times when I have actually said, look if you are only prepared to pay that amount, and with that few people, you would be better off getting a ghetto blaster and a few party CD's.
They do come back and pay the price when the occasion requires.

No matter what category you may fall into. Don't you want to move up to the ones above you? I know I doI personally am at a stage in life where I am happy doing what I do. I'll let the younger ones forge ahead I think.

Dynamic Entertainment
09-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, I do get that point, but, if other family or friends are booking a function, then the don't use so & so he's rubbish would hopefully crop up

In my experience if they don't want to fork out the money for a decent DJ they certainly won't be booking a band.I have had times when I have actually said, look if you are only prepared to pay that amount, and with that few people, you would be better off getting a ghetto blaster and a few party CD's.
They do come back and pay the price when the occasion requires.

I personally am at a stage in life where I am happy doing what I do. I'll let the younger ones forge ahead I think.

And I've had 7 client meetings in the last 12 months where the Bride & Groom have stated at the beginning of the meeting that they are actually preferring a band due to seeing bad DJs at work.

Each of the meetings was conducted at the request of venues who I work closely with and were provided free of charge before I got the booking. After listening to what they wanted...and didnt like from the other DJ...each one of them booked. Ive had 4 of the functions already and got glowing feedback, and got the other 3 throughout this year.

StarZSoundS
09-01-2011, 04:59 PM
No matter what category you may fall into. Don't you want to move up to the ones above you? I know I do:)

Why should I want to do that!!!I get accolades and paid well enough in Sream 2.Would you rather be an ordinary player for Manchester United or an outstanding one for Blackburn.....

I've made my choice...Its not all about money you know!!;) ;) ;) ;)

JTRS
09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Sadly most people book a mobile disco once or twice in their life, ever :(

Yes I accept that, but people talk, and I've taken a lot of bookings from people who I have been recommended to, and not all of the recommendations have been from those who booked me.

I've had people who have seen me at an event recommend me, but more surprisingly I've had people who have tried (unsuccessfully) to book me but have liked what I have said or suggested and they have recommended me to others who have then rung and booked me.

So, regardless of how many times a particular individual may book you, it's worth remembering that they have friends and family too.

JTRS

STEVE HANLEY
09-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Why should I want to do that!!!I get accolades and paid well enough in Sream 2.Would you rather be an ordinary player for Manchester United or an outstanding one for Blackburn.....

Totally disagree. But hey ho. Each to their own. I like the idea of earning money solely me for this time. Not lining my bosses pockets.

Been there, done that, got the kiss me quick hat.

I like the idea that the only person that can sack me is me. Whether I ever get there of course is another matter;) ;)

StarZSoundS
09-01-2011, 07:19 PM
starzsounds, sometimes i read your post's and i think you are great, then sometimes you drive me mad with frustration, but you are normally entertaining, :)

:agree: :agree: :agree: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Things are taken too seriously on here Andy.I have the comfort of knowing if things get difficult for me I have a regular wage to see me through.Quite honestly I would be :Censored: myself if this was my only income no matter HOW GOOD I was.....

I neither look down on Stream 1 or up to it either...and I think some on here get frustrated when we all don't have the same goals.Age,contentment,experience...whatever you put it down to I sincerely wish it for all of you on here....its abeautiful place to be!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

andyw
09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Things are taken too seriously on here Andy.I have the comfort of knowing if things get difficult for me I have a regular wage to see me through.Quite honestly I would be :Censored: myself if this was my only income no matter HOW GOOD I was.....

I neither look down on Stream 1 or up to it either...and I think some on here get frustrated when we all don't have the same goals.Age,contentment,experience...whatever you put it down to I sincerely wish it for all of you on here....its abeautiful place to be!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:
i am glad you took that in the right way, wasn't until you quoted me that i realised how it could be taken:)

StarZSoundS
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
i am glad you took that in the right way, wasn't until you quoted me that i realised how it could be taken:)

Andy...your hearts in the right place....I don't have a problem with any of your responses!!;) ;) ;)

NKR
10-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Not really. I am a band 2 man and that's our place.

NKR
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM

I would suggested my right honorable friend has never had to sit through a game at Ewood.

StarZSoundS
10-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I would suggested my right honorable friend has never had to sit through a game at Ewood.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DiscosMobile
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Had to bump this another job for Sid.... just came through in my e-mail prices are going to be published tomorrow.........

"Im looking for a very cheap dj for our colleagues birthday.

Looking to pay around £60.

Do you have any pictures of what you look like?"

bet NKR got the same e-mail lol.. Local lass..

simonp
12-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Eh!!!! Sweet baby Jesus - Send her a picture of Chucky and tell her to do one!!!

NKR
12-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Had to bump this another job for Sid.... just came through in my e-mail prices are going to be published tomorrow.........

Nope I didn't get that one. I have evening disco's from £199 on my front page. My bounce rate on the web analytics is about 40% - obviously see the price and go elsewhere. Saves me having to respond thought. :D

Excalibur
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Blimey! Not only do they want cheap, but they want handsome as well!:eek: :eek: That's me stuffed then. :( :(

gaza
19-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I got in to two enquiries, both on the same day when I've already got a booking..doh!
May 21st appears to be popular! lol

I've a wedding in a few weeks where the brides OH suggested she only pay £150. My quote was more than double this (but I did provide lower options), and they still booked.
We did meet them (something they appreciated), and I'm being flexible with Payments (so lots of £50/60 payments, rather than a large balance payment).
There are some very low priced DJs out there, I don't say anything negative about them to clients, but do show confidence in what we can do for them.

I still get the "how much" enquiries and quote as normal, and sometimes get a booking at a good rate - if they are up for a chat.

Hi Jason

i sent you a pm about the 21st May, ( ref our phone coversation) but you might have not understood because of all the pms that you had about another thread.

Gary