PDA

View Full Version : HMRC online

gaza
11-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi guys

Just wandered if anyone else is having a problem with the tax return page, it says here that they have a system problem, suppose they could be in meltdown because of the time of the year:)

Vectis
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Hang on ... you DO realise this is a mobile DJ forum, right? :sofa:

Charlie Brown
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I had a nice shock from the HRMC.

Hefty 40% of my earnings will go to the tax man now I'm earning in the day. :(

Vectis
11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I had a nice shock from the HRMC.

Hefty 40% of my earnings will go to the tax man now I'm earning in the day. :(

Blimey ... you must be doing well.

I'd get this checked out.

40% is only on earnings between £37k and £150k...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm (second table)

gaza
11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Hang on ... you DO realise this is a mobile DJ forum, right? :sofa:

cheeky;)

Corabar Entertainment
11-01-2011, 02:25 PM

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm (second table)Yeah, but this '40%' might be like the 'no more than 10 LEDs' on the starcloth for his booth :p :p ;) :D

Charlie Brown
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm (second table)

Well blow me!

The accountant in my office told me that because this is my primary job (estate agent) the disco work will be classed as 'additional income' and taxed at a higher rate of 40%?

Tom Lovick
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Charlies posting from the future!!!

Its 2:36 as I post this, charlie apparently posted at 2:39????

Silver Bullet
11-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I wonder if he's getting 'additional income' mixed up with 'unearned income'

Vectis
11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Ah! The good old "emergency tax code" nonsense.

You might have to suffer it in the short term but I'd get that 2010/11 tax return in on 6th April so that a proper notice of coding can be send by HMRC to your employer.

Don't worry - you'll get the overpayment back. Could be a blessing in disguise - you might be able to afford that holiday after all!

Charlie Brown
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Ah! The good old "emergency tax code" nonsense.

You might have to suffer it in the short term but I'd get that 2010/11 tax return in on 6th April so that a proper notice of coding can be send by HMRC to your employer.

Don't worry - you'll get the overpayment back. Could be a blessing in disguise - you might be able to afford that holiday after all!

Ahhh thanks Martin,

I'll give her majesty a call this evening.

discomobiledj
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Ahhh thanks Martin,

Don't they close at 5pm?

Charlie Brown
11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
8.00pm.

Corabar Steve
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM

Don't they close at 5pm?
Charlie's got Liz's direct line. (she's booking a "Posh" Event (she also DJs for him on occasion))

Tom Lovick
11-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Charlie's got Liz's direct line. (she's booking a "Posh" Event (she also DJs for him on occasion))

This just made me laugh out loud. On a train full of strangers.... :p

mattydinx
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
This just made me laugh out loud. On a train full of strangers.... :p

same :')

....minus the train of strangers :(

gaza
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi guys

Just wandered if anyone else is having a problem with the tax return page, it says here that they have a system problem, suppose they could be in meltdown because of the time of the year:)

All sorted now and tax return done:)

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
19-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Thank you for sending the Self Assessment submission online. The submission for reference XXXX9999 was successfully received on 2011-01-19T10:11:16.363 and is being processed. Self Assessment Online is just one of the many online services we offer that can save you time and paperwork. For the latest information on all of our Online Services please visit www.hmrc.gov.uk
The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

Brilliant Done Finished and really pleased how easy it was WITHOUT an accountants help!

Cheers

Spirits High
19-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Brilliant Done Finished and really pleased how easy it was WITHOUT an accountants help!

Cheers

In your opinion ;)

It makes me wonder why so many people (not just djs) leave it until the last minute :confused:

Personally my tax assessment was done by my accountant at the of May and I received my refund cheque in June which was significantly more than the accountants fee.

Also doing it as near to the end of the tax year you get a good assessment of where your money is going , where it can be tightened up etc, instead of waiting until nearly the end of the next financial year to go "Oh, I spent alot on X or Y" and then taking action on that point so it doesn't happen in the current financial year. ;)

Mark Wild
19-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I received my refund cheque

What's that then? I want one.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Cheers

In your opinion ;)

People will never learn how much can be saved by using a professional Paul. ;)

Excalibur
19-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Personally my tax assessment was done by my accountant at the of May and I received my refund cheque in June which was significantly more than the accountants fee.

What's that then? I want one.

You get one of those when you've done lots of work for people who withold tax from your payment, under some rules I don't understand. They then send it off to HMRC every month, and when it comes to the settling up, you find you're in credit. Mmmmmmm, nice. Sadly, it hasn't happened for a while now. :( :( :( :( :(

And for what it's worth, I cannot understand why anyone fills in their tax return themselves.:confused: :confused: A good accountant saves you more than he costs, and I believe his fees are tax deductible.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
19-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Actually i do it myself.....Because ive NEVER yet met a good accountant
(or finantial advisor come to think!)
( and its mega easy with my bookeeping)

and theres of course the satisfaction of doing i oneself!....x

Alex
19-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm lucky my boyfriend is an accountant... so he just sits behind me and guides me :D

Lovely lovely Lovely!

Excalibur
19-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Actually i do it myself.....Because ive NEVER yet met a good accountant
Define "Good". ;) :D :D I can think of six definitions, as I sit here. ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm lucky my boyfriend is an accountant... so he just sits behind me and guides me :D

Lovely lovely Lovely!
Well my accountant's a DJ, so ner. :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

( Actually, he's an ex-DJ, and that's another story for another day. Blimey, the book in me must just about be due for delivery. ;) :D :D )

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
28-01-2012, 11:37 AM
IN ON TIME ! JUST
The 2010-11 tax return for D HUGHES was successfully submitted and was received by HM Revenue & Customs at 11:26 GMT on 28 January 2012.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your submission receipt reference number is: xyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyx
This identification number is unique to you and is created, in code, from the entire content of your return. This number will appear on the latest printed or stored copy of your return. We suggest that you check to ensure that you have this number on the latest printed or stored copy of your return (it changes every time you amend your return prior to submission).

Finally got it in today! anyone far behind?
the Systems on a go slow now
Dave

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Anyone had an issue with getting user ids through the post? I've asked twice now and still not received anything, tis rather annoying because I was ready to do this on the 9th of Jan!

Vectis
28-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Takes about 3 weeks at the best of times, so good luck getting one at this time of year.

All my filing was complete in July 2011. No slow systems to contend with and still no need to cough up until Jan 31. :beer1:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Funny enough just checked in the lobby and its sat there. Its never taken this long in previous years to come through. Least I can smash it out this afternoon now

Spirits High
28-01-2012, 01:51 PM
All my filing was complete in July 2011. No slow systems to contend with and still no need to cough up until Jan 31. :beer1:

I'm with you on that one Martin. Mine were done in June, knew then how much I needed to pay and have kept hold of it in the offset mortgage account until 2 days ago and paid it then.

I don't know why folks leave it until now :confused:

Charlie Brown
28-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I'll start mine this evening. Not much to do TBH.

TonyB
28-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Funny enough just checked in the lobby and its sat there. Its never taken this long in previous years to come through. Least I can smash it out this afternoon now

Do you apply for a new user Id every year? :confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Do you apply for a new user Id every year? :confused:

Yes because I'm an idiot and didn't keep a record of it believe it or not. Its made me notice actually how much better at accounting and book keeping I've gotten since going full time. Won't make this mistake next year.

Dynamic Entertainment
28-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Isnt this the thing that needs done, and any tax due to be paid is paid by the 31st...OF THIS MONTH :D

Shaun
28-01-2012, 04:18 PM
2 extra days to pay this month (because of some strikes). As long as it's in on the 2nd February you won't be penalised. It was plastered all over Sky news.

I'll be doing mine at the last minute (as usual :o)

Daryll
28-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Just did mine , 20 minutes on line , easy......:D

Daryll

CRAZY K
28-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Just did mine , 20 minutes on line , easy......:D

Daryll

It is easy--just the HRMC computer may be a Sinclair something:daft:

My wifes tax was done this week ONLINE BUT she reduced her half payment for the next year as business is slowing down and sent the return ELECTRONICALLY getting a receipt number having noted the revised lower tax bill.

Great--until she went to pay Thursday and the computer had not updated the reduced amount.

She just paid the reduced figure, sent evidence that they had received her return and that she has paid-- told em to sort out their computer by recorded delivery letter.:D

Generally we dont bother phoning cos we cant get cheap rates on 0845--and we cant wait in the queue behind the World and his wife.

There are numbers available on SAY NO TO 0870:beer1: :beer1:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Just done mine and while I don't owe a great deal I think Paul has an excellent point about knowing what you need to pay so you can budget it in advance. Don't fancy doing it all in height of Wedding season though!

Spirits High
28-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Just done mine and while I don't owe a great deal I think Paul has an excellent point about knowing what you need to pay so you can budget it in advance. Don't fancy doing it all in height of Wedding season though!

Not just about knowing how much you have to pay but the sooner you do your accounts then the sooner you can address any issues. By that I mean if you spent £X on advertising and you think that it's a bit much you can look at why you've spent £X on it and act accordingly. Leaving it until January IMO is just plain :daft:

Do people not do monthly accounts on some kind of spreadsheet then at the April tax point it's simple to sort.

Remember Tax doesn't have to be Taxing :D

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Not just about knowing how much you have to pay but the sooner you do your accounts then the sooner you can address any issues. By that I mean if you spent £X on advertising and you think that it's a bit much you can look at why you've spent £X on it and act accordingly. Leaving it until January IMO is just plain :daft:

Do people not do monthly accounts on some kind of spreadsheet then at the April tax point it's simple to sort.

I do month to month so hence why it didn't take so long to do this afternoon. The thing is January tends to be the quietest month so hence why I've always done it in January. Now just having a box of receipts and doing it all in one go in January is something I've never done

Shaun
28-01-2012, 06:10 PM

I used to do it monthly...and then gradually got lazier and lazier :o. Now it's a mad scramble at the last minute.

Every year I say next year I'll be more organised so it isn't a mad dash on the run up to the deadline. Never happens though.

Excalibur
28-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I used to do it monthly...and then gradually got lazier and lazier :o. Now it's a mad scramble at the last minute.
I've always done it all in a desperate last minute rush, but:

Every year I say next year I'll be more organised so it isn't a mad dash on the run up to the deadline. Never happens though.

I've got to do it before January next time. My marriage won't survive another episode like this year's.

Shaun
30-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Just finished my returns. I feel like I've undergone a lobotomy.

:daft:

scoopd
31-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Apparently you have 2 days extra to submit because of a strike

DazzyD
31-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Apparently you have 2 days extra to submit because of a strike

Erm...

2 extra days to pay this month (because of some strikes). As long as it's in on the 2nd February you won't be penalised. It was plastered all over Sky news.

I'll be doing mine at the last minute (as usual :o)

I hate it when that happens. You think you've got a great tip for people and then someone goes and beats you to it!! :zip: