Your thoughts gentlemen please

Andy

Charlie Brown
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I had them call today.

Wasn't sure what to do.

Danno13
12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I tried them for a year and had about 6-7 enquiries and half of them weren't for Weddings (despite me going in the Wedding catergory to avoid cheapo enquiries!), none booked so I wouldn't bother again. If they were only charging £1-200 then its worth a punt, but no way is Yellow Pages worth spending the £4-500 that they ask for these days, now that people just use search engines you'd be better off spending it on adwords or SEO.

DeckstarDeluxe
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I wouldnt go with Yell for any more than a free listing.

Ecstatic Events
12-01-2011, 06:36 PM

I also have a free listing only and will be watching the thread with interest. I am in two minds about using Yell this year. I know Gary (shakermaker) gets alot of enquiries via Yell, I think a heavy weight listing is the way forward though :)

Silver Bullet
12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt go with Yell for any more than a free listing.:agree: I did try yell.com a few years ago but it was hardly worth the money.
The same with yellow pages. I used to have an enhanced listing, that was hardly worthwhile.
The free one line entry is good however for the guys who can remember your name but have lost your number. :beer1:

Vectis
12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't touch them with Josef Fritzl's bargepole...

Besides, no matter how attractive the proposition or offer, anyone who cold calls me goes on the "block" list. They'll never see a cent. Some might say that I could be shooting myself in the foot - well I've managed quite well with this policy in place until now.

AndyC
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Just to put a price on this service they say £423 + vat.........

I can pay monthly if i want...

they also say that the free listings are going from both yell and the yellow pages

Corabar Entertainment
12-01-2011, 07:25 PM
they also say that the free listings are going from both yell and the yellow pagesThat's going to make it a very thin book / small website! :eek:

Vectis
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
There's a bunch of "reasons not to spend money with Yell" on the forum but here's my conclusive favourite...

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22620&highlight=yellow+pages

surround sounds
12-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I have been with them for 12 months next week.Its brought me in over £2750.Yes i pay monthly around £47 over 10 months but i got a good return.I also got work from the the gigs i did through yellow pages for this year which i would not of got if i was not in yellow pages..

Vectis
12-01-2011, 08:29 PM
To every rule there's an exception - well done :)

However I bet I could have returned far more than £2700-odd from a £500 investment... ;)

hammy
12-01-2011, 08:32 PM

However I bet I could have returned far more than £2700-odd from a £500 investment... ;)

that sounds like a challenge vectis, if i give you £500 tomorrow how long before i can expect my 2.5K back from you :D :D :D

surround sounds
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Yes Maybe so but its not bad and still profit..Also from it i got a venue residency which i do once a month..

paulg
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Depends how you look at the Yell concept. I've been with yell for 3 or 4 years with just a small advert (£145.00 per year). I reckon it generates 20-30 enquiries per year but of that total (let's say 120 total enquiries), quite a few generated work and then subsequent recommendations and re-books. Worth the £145 outlay? Yes.

Of late, enquiries generated from on-line presence are probably more fruitful than those from Yell although my advert with them is mainly my website address so Yell listings could be responsible for directing people there.

Dj Diddy Davies
13-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I used to use Yell.com (still have a free ad). I dropped paid advertising with them last year. I tried the paid for listing and the guaranteed No.2 slot listing at £1.2k. Both returned the investment, but only just. They just lie through their teeth ( the dropping the free ads thing has been mentioned for at least the last 2 years!). Whatever advertising you do, next year they'll want you to advertise bigger and more expensive.

The main thing is that as soon as you start advertising with them, you seem to get a huge amount of phone calls starting with "we're calling from Google to offer you..."

Last year i just had a small YP advert, this year that's going too.

Re investing your £500, get Vectis to do you a website and you should easily make that £500 in the 1st quarter.

The web is definitely the way to go. I don't do any "paper" advertising.

Steve.

Shakermaker Promotions
13-01-2011, 08:49 AM
As I have mentioned before, when I first started out full time I wanted to get my name out there so one of the first things I did was to get a free listing in the Yellow Pages. After a while I decided to take out an advert. I did that for around 2 years and noticed that the enquiries weren't that great and even though I got a number of bookings from it (and decent ones), the majority of the enquiries were from people looking for 'cheap and cheerful'.
When the Yellow Pages decided to cut itself in half yet still expect people to pay the same for their adverts, I decided to just stop advertising with them.

I have had a Yell.com advert for a while now and despite what anyone else says, it actually works for me. Yes, I still get the old 'tyre kickers' too just like others but I get lots of confirmed, decent paid bookings. I know it has been said before and I am not one for going on about different areas around the country being better payers than others but truth is, Hampshire, Berkshire and Surrey ARE good payers.
I also monitor every enquiry I get so that I know whether it's worth paying for advertising etc and (for me), Yell.com works.

With reference to the website. Yes, I will be having that looked at.

mattydinx
13-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Just had "the call"

I'm not convinced...yet...

paulg
13-01-2011, 11:19 AM
The main thing is that as soon as you start advertising with them, you seem to get a huge amount of phone calls starting with "we're calling from Google to offer you..."

.....and Scouses and Mancunians telling you you've agreed to have an advert in their publications!

hammy
13-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Lol I just had a call from yell.com and told them NO straight away,so i guess whoever is advertising will get the call eventually

Charlie Brown
13-01-2011, 03:15 PM
11 missed calls on my Vonage phone from yesterday and today.

No joke.

I reckon it's because I showed interest.

Ben used to spend £3,000 a year with them.

I wonder whether he does now?

lincsdisco
13-01-2011, 03:18 PM
i pay £680 discounted from £900
i get premium listing
yell.com
118 247
yellow pages

still alot tho.

Vectis
13-01-2011, 03:49 PM
i pay £680 discounted from £900
i get premium listing
yell.com
118 247
yellow pages

still alot tho.

... and the return? :confused:

Charlie Brown
13-01-2011, 03:52 PM
... and the return? :confused:

:lol:

Would be nice. :sj:

Ajaysdisco
13-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I had a 30 minute sales pitch from them a couple of months ago.
One thing they were promising is that I could be listed at the top of the page, I said to him, you probably promise that everyone. Well he couldn’t give me a straight answer.

With all the other search engines I don’t think its worth what they were wanting.

yourdj
13-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I spent £1300 one year :D not allot other than tyre kickers.
I suppose I got my money back.

Nothing beats a good website and face to face contact with the client.

Depends on your market. Some people do very well from Yell.

Vectis
14-01-2011, 07:45 AM
ISome people do very well from Yell.

The shareholders?

Leicester Ben
14-01-2011, 08:13 AM
I used to spend a fortune with Yell and don't regret a penny of it. It was the only form of paid advertising that I did (apart from the odd wedding fayre) and it used to bring me in a lot of business.

Although I have no proof of this I am also sure that having yell and a good website helped me to be number 1 organically on google for my search terms.

I don't do any paid advertising any more as we are too busy already now but if for any reason the discos dropped off I would put some money back into yell.com for sure.

discomobiledj
14-01-2011, 08:19 AM
I think it depends on the area you are in. For me, I had nothing decent from it at all. Just tyrekickers looking for £60 Sid.

The Yellow Pages that came through last year is about 2cm thick! I know they're slimlining the book but that's madness.

AndyC
14-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys I think this has made my mind up and it is going to be placed with all the other sales pitches that have come my way by telephone over the years, like the freebee glossy magazines they leve in hospitals and dentists and the google sales pitch i had last month which all sounded very good untill you finally get to the price (£200 set up £40 per month)

All this advertising seams so expensive and from whay most of you have said not worth the money, I dont do many gigs per year and the thought of spending all that money on the off chance offends me.

But perhaps i'm extraordinarily tight:D

Shakermaker Promotions
14-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I think that maybe you should do a small-ish advert on Yell.com.
I pay around £27.00 a month and that includes a full gallery, bullet points and monitoring etc.
I've got to the point where my website gets me lots of enquiries and also the majority of my work is follow on work, recommendations etc but I think it's always worth letting people know that you are 'out there'.

Charlie Brown
14-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm tempted to give this a whirl....especially if it will help my Google rankings.

Roger T
14-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I've also got the £27 per month option. Since the New Year enquiries have started coming in from there and I've just taken my first booking from it.

AndyC
15-01-2011, 03:43 PM
I Thought i'd just put this one to bed (from my point of view) the guy from yell.com rang me back and we chatted abuot the product and what he thought it could do for me but in the end I thought for my situation £500 spent all in one place with no garrentee of any return was just a waste of my money at witch point he became surley and accused me of not living in the real world, needles to say at this point I hung up.

Mark Wild
15-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I Thought i'd just put this one to bed (from my point of view) the guy from yell.com rang me back and we chatted abuot the product and what he thought it could do for me but in the end I thought for my situation £500 spent all in one place with no garrentee of any return was just a waste of my money at witch point he became surley and accused me of not living in the real world, needles to say at this point I hung up.

To be realistic though, is there ever much of a guarantee on R.O.I when advertising? £500 would be better placed somewhere else though for sure. :D

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Just called me...

£64 a month. You don't pay anything till March.

A video is created...top of the listings...pictures/bullet points etc. 364 are searching for discos in Nottingham apparently per month.

If it's going to help my natural listings...I'm interested.

Shall I forget it?

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Just called me...

£64 a month. You don't pay anything till March.

A video is created...top of the listings...pictures/bullet points etc. 364 are searching for discos in Nottingham apparently per month.

If it's going to help my natural listings...I'm interested.

Shall I forget it?

Yes.

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes.

It's interesting that it works for Gary and Ben though,.

Booche
20-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Charlie have you not been stuffed/stung/ripped off/robbed/caught out/pants down and bent over one to many times mate to learn lol

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 10:21 AM
It's interesting that it works for Gary and Ben though,.

I was an Advertising Sales Executive for 2 years Charlie working for their main competitor, take my advice (or don't), your £64 a month is better spent elsewhere.

Vectis
20-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Charlie - do me a favour? Grab a camera and take a picture of your forehead, so we can check that the letters G, U and M don't appear :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Charlie - do me a favour? Grab a camera and take a picture of your forehead, so we can check that the letters G, U and M don't appear :p

How many websites has he got with you? :sj:

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 10:40 AM

:lol: :D :D

I have took your advice and declined politely.

Vectis
20-01-2011, 10:51 AM

He contacted me ... that's different :party1:

marting
20-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Just had "the call"

I'm not convinced...yet...

Have had a call today they even offered to cut the price to £36 a month and i wouldn't have to start paying anything for 6 weeks..........

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 11:41 AM
He contacted me ... that's different :party1:

AND

I think (hope) Martin would tell me if I'm wasting my time?

EDIT:

Had another call...£29 a month, for a Yell.com listing & advert in the book. Pictures/bullet points etc but it will be the third above the highest in my area?

Pink Elephant
20-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I too have had several calls from them.

I just asked for the facts he quoted to be put in writing and as yet not received them. He still calls so I keep asking for the email. Who will get bored first?

Vectis
20-01-2011, 02:35 PM
AND

EDIT:

Had another call...£29 a month, for a Yell.com listing & advert in the book. Pictures/bullet points etc but it will be the third above the highest in my area?

Charlie

Take out a Yell advert and 3 things will happen:

1. You'll be forever bombarded with spam calls from a million other advertising media

2. You'll be bombarded with £80 - £100 disco shoppers

3. You'll regret it big time

Your preferred market and Yell are incompatible. Far less compatible than you and UK Bride. At best, you might break even over the course of a year, but you'll still have to suffer #1 and #2. If you don't believe me, take the free listing and find out. Of course they'll try to blag you that they're doing away with free listings, but we all know that's a ruse.

DazzyD
20-01-2011, 10:42 PM
A couple of years ago I placed 2 1/8th page ads with Yellow Pages which went in the wedding section and discos-mobile. It also got me on Yell.com. The price wasn't far short of a four-figure sum but it generated bookings that made me over 7 times the outlay (after expenses) which I thought was a terrific result. Yes, there were the tyre-kickers and sales cold-calls (just tell then about your registration with TPS!). But the return against outlay figures were quite impressive.

So, why did I stop the big ads? Well, I got my paperwork through for year 2 and was going to charged the full rate - apparently over £2k. I decided against it. However, it's a fact that a lot of people don't have an up to date phone book and I still get enquiries from people who've seen that original ad. I do keep the free one-line entry but that will probably stop next year (read on for the reason!)

Just to put a price on this service they say £423 + vat.........

I can pay monthly if i want...

they also say that the free listings are going from both yell and the yellow pages

I got told this by the sales rep last year. So I went online and registered my free line ad in the 2011 book. I also made a complaint against the salesman for blagging/mis-selling. I don't tolerate liars especially where my money is concerned.

However, they have changed the format of the book. All the free one-line entries are now lumped together in the back of the book. There are no catergories for these ads -they are just listed alphabetically on business name. Great for customers who know who you are / what you are called but need to find your number. Not great for attracting new customers who were just browsing the book.

That's going to make it a very thin book / small website! :eek:

The book is tiny now. In fact, it's pocket-sized!! :eek:

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 10:57 PM
So...

You wouldn't recommend them?

I read Martins post and declined when he called me back. Cheers Martin. :beer1:

Charlie Brown
09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Just had them on the phone again....

£180 to be next to wall of sounds...

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=wedding+entertainment&location=nottingham&scrambleSeed=50301408&searchType=advance&M=&bandedclarifyResults=&ssm=1&autocomplete=kw

I have just called wall of sounds who said it's good and that he gets enquiries all year round but he does charge £150 for a wedding.

Vectis
09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
but he does charge £150 for a wedding.

You've answered your own question then ;)

Charlie Brown
09-02-2011, 03:13 PM
You've answered your own question then ;)

Maybe so but I've been an absolute idiot and ignored your guys advice. :o

I haggled him down to £18.60 a month for ten months and the first month doesn't start till May. I will be on the top page for listings in my area. It worked for Ben so it might do for me.

They also put a fake telephone number on the add that they monitor. The call then redirects to my main phone.

It's also a healthy link to boost my sites SEO.

surround sounds
09-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Well it works for me as well.Mine is up in april and i will renew, althou i will try and talk them down..

Vectis
09-02-2011, 03:33 PM
They also put a fake telephone number on the add that they monitor. The call then redirects to my main phone.

No, they put up a premium rate number which redirects to your number whilst depositing x pence per minute into Yell's coffers.

Great way to start a business relationship with a new client, ripping them off :eek:

I'll :zip: now but I'll get the "I told you so" banners out of the loft :o

Danno13
09-02-2011, 03:41 PM
No, they put up a premium rate number which redirects to your number whilst depositing x pence per minute into Yell's coffers.

Great way to start a business relationship with a new client, ripping them off :eek:

I'll :zip: now but I'll get the "I told you so" banners out of the loft :o

When I was with them, they gave me a geographical number.

Charlie, are you sure they give you a web link for that price? If they do, then they've pretty much halved their normal price!

Charlie Brown
09-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Charlie, are you sure they give you a web link for that price? If they do, then they've pretty much halved their normal price!

Yup! Wall of sounds paid around 300ish.

surround sounds
09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Yup! Wall of sounds paid around 300ish.

You got a very good prive then Charlie

Charlie Brown
09-02-2011, 04:01 PM
When I was with them, they gave me a geographical number.

Yup, so am I.

Did it not work for you then?

paulg
14-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Just got my new smaller format Yellow Pages through the letter box. They used to leave it outside because it wouldn't fit but now it is smaller it posts very easily. Trouble is, the ads are so small you can barely read them. Still, it won't take up much space in the re-cycling bin.

Paul

aaaaa1111aaardvarkardsley entertainments

discomobiledj
18-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Did you go through with it Charlie? Just had them on the phone for 45 minutes and they said that you're not even on the site.

Charlie Brown
18-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Did you go through with it Charlie? Just had them on the phone for 45 minutes and they said that you're not even on the site.

Yup, I'm with them. What do you mean I'm not on? :confused:

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=wedding+entertainment&location=nottingham&scrambleSeed=34009972&searchType=advance&M=&lastKeyword=&lastClarifyIndex=&lastClarifyOptions=&lastSearchall=&lastSearchallTax=&lastbandedclarifyResults=&bandedclarifyResults=&ssm=1&autocomplete=kwlo

I'm going to call them now to complain.

Charlie Brown
18-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Don't go with it Steve. Waste of time. Idiots. I'm giving them a good moan now.

discomobiledj
18-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not going to. The key word....leads!

I said, yes, but leads are not sales are they!

I said about you, gave various names and he turned round and said "He hasn't taken an advert out with us"

Told them about your quote and was told they would never do that price for the advert and that's only a lightweight ad price.

I don't know how many times I had to say I'm not interested!

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I said about you, gave various names and he turned round and said "He hasn't taken an advert out with us"

They shouldn't be giving you that sort of information anyway I wouldn't have thought.

Charlie Brown
18-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I've not even had the leads.

discomobiledj
18-03-2011, 12:06 PM
They shouldn't be giving you that sort of information anyway I wouldn't have thought.

They were giving me the in's and out's of someone else's business who is local to me as well, conversion rates, leads, how much they are paying Yell. Quite amazing really.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2011, 12:32 PM
They were giving me the in's and out's of someone else's business who is local to me as well, conversion rates, leads, how much they are paying Yell. Quite amazing really.

How would they know conversion rates of someone elses business? :confused:

discomobiledj
18-03-2011, 12:38 PM
How would they know conversion rates of someone elses business? :confused:

This is what I said and was consequently told that they call all advertisers on a monthly basis and find out what they have generated.

Charlie Brown
18-03-2011, 12:41 PM
This is what I said and was consequently told that they call all advertisers on a monthly basis and find out what they have generated.

:confused:

I've never had any calls from them.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2011, 12:45 PM

That sounds really accurate! :lol:

discomobiledj
18-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I know. I couldn't believe how much he was going on at me.

The best one was "I really think you should go for this, you won't regret it"

My reply "You would say that, you're on commission!"

Mark Wild
18-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I know. I couldn't believe how much he was going on at me.

The best one was "I really think you should go for this, you won't regret it"

My reply "You would say that, you're on commission!"

They're on a VERY healthy basic too ;) You shouldn't underestimate the Yell sales team, they're not your run of the mill call centre staff.

hammy
18-03-2011, 12:56 PM
:confused:

I've never had any calls from them.

Charlie I know its a pain but ring them up and ask them, I had to do this the other day and I was quite shocked on the result

Charlie Brown
18-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Charlie I know its a pain but ring them up and ask them, I had to do this the other day and I was quite shocked on the result

I have called them today.

My key phrase is 'wedding entertainment & music' - WHO THE HELL is going to type that in?

I might stop the direct debit from my bank account. Will they chase me and get arsey?

hammy
18-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I have called them today.

My key phrase is 'wedding entertainment & music' - WHO THE HELL is going to type that in?

I might stop the direct debit from my bank account. Will they chase me and get arsey?

Get them to change it to what you want, you are the client and paying them

they might get bitchy depending on how long you signed up for remember it is still a contract

Charlie Brown
18-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Get them to change it to what you want, you are the client and paying them

they might get bitchy depending on how long you signed up for remember it is still a contract

He refused to change it.

Probably why it's so cheap.

discomobiledj
18-03-2011, 01:17 PM
So not exactly looking after you then are they.

Such scammers.

hammy
18-03-2011, 01:31 PM
He refused to change it.

Probably why it's so cheap.

Wierd, When I spoke to them the other day (advert went live in february) he told me what my search words are and i asked him to change it and he did

Vectis
18-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't touch them with Josef Fritzl's bargepole.

There's a bunch of "reasons not to spend money with Yell" on the forum but here's my conclusive favourite...

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22620&highlight=yellow+pages

I tried them for a year and had about 6-7 enquiries and half of them weren't for Weddings (despite me going in the Wedding catergory to avoid cheapo enquiries!), none booked so I wouldn't bother again.

:agree: I did try yell.com a few years ago but it was hardly worth the money.
The same with yellow pages. I used to have an enhanced listing, that was hardly worthwhile.

They just lie through their teeth

One thing they were promising is that I could be listed at the top of the page, I said to him, you probably promise that everyone. Well he couldn’t give me a straight answer.

I spent £1300 one year :D not allot other than tyre kickers. I suppose I got my money back.

I thought for my situation £500 spent all in one place with no garrentee of any return was just a waste of my money at witch point he became surley and accused me of not living in the real world, needles to say at this point I hung up.

Charlie have you not been stuffed/stung/ripped off/robbed/caught out/pants down and bent over one to many times mate to learn lol

take my advice (or don't), your £64 a month is better spent elsewhere.

AND

3. You'll regret it big time

:sofa:

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2011, 02:17 PM
So what are you saying Martin? :confused:

Dynamic Entertainment
18-03-2011, 02:50 PM
So what are you saying Martin? :confused:

That Charles has Cloth lug holes...or eyes in the case of the forum ;)

surround sounds
29-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I have just had a call off Yell.com. They are now doing Home visits.They want to see me in the next few days to renew.Any one else had this?

Vectis
29-03-2011, 01:37 PM
I have just had a call off Yell.com. They are now doing Home visits.They want to see me in the next few days to renew.Any one else had this?

OK - big company head on for a moment.

(Big) Assumptions:

- 2 hours at your place plus 2 hours travel time (not unreasonable)
- 4 hours at basic - assuming NMW that's £24 - plus a bit of employers NI
- travel costs - could be anything from a £10 bus fare to say 100 miles by car at 50p/mile - so let's plump for somewhere in the middle - say £25

- then there's his/her commission should they convert you - let's assume not in this instance.

So - total cost to the company for each home visit = £50 ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. Splitting hairs and a few quid could be clawed back through expenses offsetting against tax somewhere down the line.

Assume 1 in 3 home visits produces a sale (generous), and therefore from that sale £150 +++ will be lost to the acquisition cost. In other words, if you sign then the first £150 of your cash will have funded your "home visit".

Stick your £150 into adwords or a good SEO book and you'll return far more than yell will send you, unless you're a fan of £100 gigs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-03-2011, 01:49 PM

They have always done that. (well Yellow Pages - the book)

Corabar Entertainment
29-03-2011, 01:56 PM
They have always done that. (well Yellow Pages - the book)Exactly what I was going to say

surround sounds
29-03-2011, 01:59 PM

(Big) Assumptions:

- travel costs - could be anything from a £10 bus fare to say 100 miles by car at 50p/mile - so let's plump for somewhere in the middle - say £25

- then there's his/her commission should they convert you - let's assume not in this instance.

So - total cost to the company for each home visit = £50 ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. Splitting hairs and a few quid could be clawed back through expenses offsetting against tax somewhere down the line.

Assume 1 in 3 home visits produces a sale (generous), and therefore from that sale £150 +++ will be lost to the acquisition cost. In other words, if you sign then the first £150 of your cash will have funded your "home visit".

Stick your £150 into adwords or a good SEO book and you'll return far more than yell will send you, unless you're a fan of £100 gigs.

Yes i understand where you are coming from but to be honest i have done ok with Yell.com.Nearly 3 thousands pounds in income over the last 12 months.Yes i did pay around £300 for ad with them but i gig would pay for that.I also agree you get a lot of customers wanting gigs for under £150 but i have had around 5 gigs paying over £300 a gig.So for me it works.
Adwords i can not get my head around it.

Vectis
29-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Yes i understand where you are coming from but to be honest i have done ok with Yell.com.Nearly 3 thousands pounds in income over the last 12 months.Yes i did pay around £300 for ad with them but i gig would pay for that.I also agree you get a lot of customers wanting gigs for under £150 but i have had around 5 gigs paying over £300 a gig.So for me it works.
Adwords i can not get my head around it.

Fair enough. Horses for courses.

So why not ring them and tell them you'll sign for a £100 discount on the basis they're saving a packet on the home visit? :p

CRAZY K
29-03-2011, 02:12 PM

So why not ring them and tell them you'll sign for a £100 discount on the basis they're saving a packet on the home visit? :p

Makes a lot of economic sense--unless your a YP Salesman:eek: heading for redundancy:eek:

surround sounds
29-03-2011, 02:24 PM

(Big) Assumptions:

They have always done that. (well Yellow Pages - the book)

Last year i did it all over the phone.I never knew they did home visits

Thats not a bad idea.To be honest after reading this thread i think i have been paying to much anyway

DeckstarDeluxe
29-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I had them visit me at work a couple of years ago and the girl was stunning and was clearly flirting with me too. Thankfully the forum helped me see the light and for a similiar outlay now I have a fantastic site with good SEO.