PDA

View Full Version : Van Insurance

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I am still reeling from opening the mail this morning. Van insurance is due at the end of the month and I have been told to renew it is a couple of quid shy of £1500! Last year was just over £500.

It is only third party cover for a 97 Vito and I think the value is £1500-£2000.

Bloody joke and money is tight as it is for the next couple of months until we get into wedding season (which is filling up really nicely at the moment).

Megamix
14-01-2011, 09:16 AM
it almost encourages people to not bother - then they get fined less than the insurance cost - but don't worry the law abiding majority will pick up the bill

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I am actually on the floor here I cant believe its gone up so much.

I only put the base rate of my bottom line by £20 this year and that is barely going to cover the increase in fuel costs let alone the insurance increase. Don't have the funds to pay this in one go so get done on interest too.

Charlie Brown
14-01-2011, 09:19 AM
it almost encourages people to not bother - then they get fined less than the insurance cost - but don't worry the law abiding majority will pick up the bill

:agree:

Some people just can't afford it.

You must be able to get a better deal Neil?

This gives me no hope.....:lol:

Dj Diddy Davies
14-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I'd ring the insurance company and ask them why it's gone up so much (maybe something's wrong in their records?) and if they can offer anything cheaper.

If not, it's time to search around for something cheaper.

Steve.

Charlie Brown
14-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, you can complain Neil.

A lot of my mates bargain with them on the phone.

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Well confused has come up with 2.5k for third party and £500 excess........

Booche
14-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Go Compaaaarrrreeee :sofa:

woody2
14-01-2011, 10:33 AM
i read somewhere recently that 3rd party is now more expensive as insurance company's think you will not maintain your vehicles as well leading to more accidents

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Just like to publicly thank Chris @abracadabradisco.co.uk for the call and PM.

Looking at different companies at the moment. Went into town and got a quote for just shy of 1300. Being part of NADJ and have PLI has no effect.

jamesh
14-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Have a look at www.insurantz.com too... been with them 2 years now and they have always been the cheapest i've been able to find. It's owned by the same company as DJ GUard / Music Guard etc...

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Have a look at www.insurantz.com (http://www.insurantz.com) too... been with them 2 years now and they have always been the cheapest i've been able to find. It's owned by the same company as DJ GUard / Music Guard etc...

How do you class your job title James as mobile dj is not on their list?

I've emailed them but says it can take 2 days to reply.

Charlie Brown
14-01-2011, 11:54 AM

I ended up going with wedding planner.

I had to stop when it asked for registration number. :sj:

jamesh
14-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I went with Event/Party Organiser (vehicles) but spoke to them on the phone before i went ahead and tiold them that included event production, staging lighting, discos etc they said that was fine.

Charlie Brown
14-01-2011, 12:07 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay James?

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 12:18 PM
James you got any promo codes for this site?

Looks at first glace this could be the cheapest provider....

jamesh
14-01-2011, 12:33 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay James?

Errr Off the top of my head i can't remember at the moment as would have to dig out the paperwork but it's over £1000....

But then that's nothing compared to my Toyota MR2... That comes in at around £1800 per year for third party fire and theft and over £2000 for fully comp!!!!! :eek: :(

i thought i did have Neil but can't seem to find it in my inbox... If there's a how did you hear don't forget to mention me... they might then deduct £2.50 off next year or something :D :p

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 12:35 PM
No worries James but looks like you've saved me nearly 300 quid here so thanks for the heads up :)

jamesh
14-01-2011, 12:54 PM
No problem... Sure it was Dan that put me on to them a couple of years ago anyway :)

Midlands networking working at it's best again :D

Danno13
14-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Neil, there should be a link from the NADJ benefits pages which gives you discount.

I was with them for a year and not only were they competitive, it was also dead easy to add additional named drivers online and never affected the premium.

I had to go with someone else (Post office came out cheapest at around £800) this year as I picked up another 3 points, but may well end up back with them in March when it's renewal time, as my previous 6 points have finalled expired!!

Dynamic Entertainment
14-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Ive just insured with AdmiralVan.

3rd Party F&T on a V Reg Citroen Berlingo worth £1000 doing 10,000 miles/pa for £547.62

Danno13
14-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Insurantz.com just quoted me £612 a year to have me, both my parents and my brother (who's 21) on there, so over £200 cheaper than what I'm paying at the moment! :D

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Might be worth doing a sticky or something like that for this because the only reason why they are cheaper must be the fact they don't view us as high risk as mainstream companies??

How many years no claims you got Dan if you dont mind me asking

Danno13
14-01-2011, 03:38 PM
That's with 3 years, unless I claim between now and March!

Mark Wild
14-01-2011, 03:39 PM
It's not always about the cheapest ;)

Vectis
14-01-2011, 03:43 PM
My last full year's van insurance (09-10) was £158.... it didn't change when I went from the Peugeot Partner van to the Toyota Previa.

This year I've taken mobile disco use off but left generic personal business use on ('cos I do travel to see clients and to trade shows etc.) and it's £210 MINUS a £60 cashback at Quidco = £150!!! :) :) :sofa:

That's 6 years NCD, fully comp. with 8k miles and 0 points. Must be the postcode or something :beer1:

Mark Wild
14-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I thought TPFT was a thing of the past these days and was much the same price as fully comp.

flatliners
14-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Try quinn direct i pay something like £ 33 a month
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quinn-direct.co.uk%2Fvan-insurance%2F&ei=LaMwTaynHZGJhQfNwqCsCw&usg=AFQjCNGWyKPMG4XDr6KjYSwalT501IhRHg&sig2=VfHo2Mw4EfiQP-3nKuw3aQ

DeckstarDeluxe
14-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Quinn are in administration according to one brooker I spoke to and who I use to be with.

Ajaysdisco
21-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I thought I would tag onto this thread rather than starting a new one.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other insurance companies?

The reason being is I got my van insurance quote today and its £300 more than last year so I decided to search around for the best price.
The problem I am having is some companies wont insure businesses doing mobile discos and I am getting fed up waiting ages in a queue only to be told “sorry we don’t insure mobile discos”

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

NKR
21-05-2011, 07:22 PM

I've emailed them but says it can take 2 days to reply.

The reason being is I got my van insurance quote today and its £300 more than last year so I decided to search around for the best price.
The problem I am having is some companies wont insure businesses doing mobile discos and I am getting fed up waiting ages in a queue only to be told “sorry we don’t insure mobile discos”

Don't ever put mobile disco. Put entertainer, which is an option. Your don't just do mobiles do you. No you do quiz nights, childrens parties and stand up comedy if you have to (although you are probably pants at it).

That makes you an entertainer, which is my second profession on our Shogun insurance and actually brought it down.

Mobile DJ is hated by insurances because of kit and beer. Oh an vehicles left getting damaged at out of control 18th's

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Mine increased by £150 this year for no reason, so I used the various comparison website - moneysupermarket, gocompare etc and got my quote down to just under what it was.

Shaun
22-05-2011, 11:22 AM
My insurance is through a broker called 'Aquote'. This year it's with Zenith Insurance via 'aquote'. £238 for the year, for fully comprehensive business insurance (specified as a Mobile DJ) with sign-written van and breakdown cover. I'm happy enough with that.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-05-2011, 11:26 AM
My insurance is through a broker called 'Aquote'. This year it's with Zenith Insurance via 'aquote'. £238 for the year, for fully comprehensive business insurance (specified as a Mobile DJ) with sign-written van and breakdown cover. I'm happy enough with that.

Yours is a lot cheaper than mine! I have got 9 years protected no claims, hire van if I have an accident, legal help etc though.

What was your excess Shaun?

Shaun
22-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't have van hire or legal help included in mine.

Excesses:
£100.00 Accidental damage / Fire & Theft
£250.00 Young and/or inexperienced drivers
£60.00 glass

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't have van hire or legal help included mine.

Excesses:
£100.00 Accidental damage / Fire & Theft
£250.00 Young and/or inexperienced drivers
£60.00 glass

Mind you that would only make a small difference. It must to do with areas perhaps? Seems strange that I am older than you, with virtually the same van and yet I pay more than you.

Git. :D

Shaun
22-05-2011, 11:40 AM
If there's a bargain to be found a Scotsman will surely find it. :d

soundtracker
22-05-2011, 11:47 AM

I use Aquote as well and have done for a few years, mine is also through Zenith, and Mobile DJ doesn't seem to be a problem.

Ajaysdisco
22-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the info, to give you an idea with what I am faced with, Direct Line quoted me about £1600 with 4 years NCB, protected!! :eek:

I use Aquote as well and have done for a few years, mine is also through Zenith, and Mobile DJ doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks, I will have a look.

yourdj
22-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I just got a £260 insurance and £30 cash back with Quidco (£230 total) :eek:

All the other quotes were £400 + so snapped that up.

It was through Hastings direct on a third party insurer full comp with my girlfriend as a named driver and racking in the back.
Checkout quidco as it tracks the purchase and pays it into your bank when it is sorted.
I got £50 full (not home start) AA cover that way two years running.

chrisj
22-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Ws this quote after declaring you are in the music industry or that you are a dj?

Shakermaker Promotions
22-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I am insured fully comp with my bank (RBS) and I get free breakdown cover and all for the sum of £220.00. I actually pay slightly more as I pay direct debit and get a charge for doing it....

yourdj
22-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Ws this quote after declaring you are in the music industry or that you are a dj?

Doh new I had forgotten something :p

I will ring them up and tell them when I send proof of no claims.
I always do it that way and never get charged more.