PDA

View Full Version : Up Lighting

MBK
16-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Here is one for you all to mull over and debate: -
I have just completed a site visit to a local venue with the clients to discuss the up lighting they want.

We met with the venue owner / manager to be told that now as of January only IP65 or above lighting may be used for the purpose of up lighting the room after an incident over the Christmas period, as drink was spilt on some up lighting and there was an injury and electrical damage caused.
The venue has now banned all up lighting unless it can withstand having a drink spilt on it and there is a separate RCD fitted.

I am lead to believe that there was damage to the power socket and wiring, which has been rectified by the supplier of the lighting but he didn’t let on to what the injury was.

I fully understand the reasons why but is this the start of a new beginning relating to up lighting?

Chris1984
16-01-2011, 09:22 PM
interesting - thats why you cant beat real par cans and gel!

this isn't the first time i have heard this thou and i can see a few places doing it.

Vectis
16-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone putting uplighters out without RCDs needs their bumps feeling and their PLI invalidating immediately, IMHO :mad:

They only cost a few quid and can save lives :daft:

Excalibur
16-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Anyone putting uplighters out without RCDs needs their bumps feeling and their PLI invalidating immediately, IMHO :mad:

They only cost a few quid and can save lives :daft:

Which is as nothing, compared to what I'd like to do to the :muppet:s carrying the drink and placing it near electricity, but that's another topic entirely. ;)

yourdj
16-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I fully understand the reasons why but is this the start of a new beginning relating to up lighting?

Its going to be a growing trend I think with PLI as more cases emerge?

I cant believe no one has put a foot through mine, split a drink or run off with one yet (especially kids).

I will be getting a set os outdoor ones which are sealed as uncovered ones were not
designed to go on the floor - down right dangerous IMO but highly effective :)

Charlie Brown
16-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Great.

I'm just about to shell out £700 on a system.

This thread has kind of put me off!

Vectis
16-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Great.

I'm just about to shell out £700 on a system.

This thread has kind of put me off!

Budget another £100 and get a load of
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-RCD-Adaptor-Lawn-Mower-Power-Tools-Etc-E6-/250560287658?pt=UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL&hash=item3a568e93aa#ht_1142wt_907

or similar.

Make sure you have them PAT'ed too.

Charlie Brown
16-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Budget another £100 and get a load of
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-RCD-Adaptor-Lawn-Mower-Power-Tools-Etc-E6-/250560287658?pt=UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL&hash=item3a568e93aa#ht_1142wt_907

or similar.

Make sure you have them PAT'ed too.

Ewww.

What a waste of a £100!

:sofa:

Yes boss. Just reminded me to send you something. ;)

super-hero
17-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I have lost track of the times I have removed glasses from my uplighters. People seem to think they are fancy tables.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
17-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I shall be watching these posts carefully as i,m currently thinking about buying a basic uplighting package...as it looks to me
If its not IP65 its probably not a good idea to buy.....
and Charlie.....
RCDs are NOT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!
Cheers

JTRS
18-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I shall be watching these posts carefully as i,m currently thinking about buying a basic uplighting package...as it looks to me
If its not IP65 its probably not a good idea to buy.....
and Charlie.....
RCDs are NOT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!
Cheers

I'm thinking that myself, let me know what you end up getting

JTRS

DeckstarDeluxe
18-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Ok idiot here so be gentle.

If I'm daisy chaining my cans with iec plugs and sockets am I "protected" if I use just the one rcd to power the first can?

Vectis
18-01-2011, 02:22 PM

If I'm daisy chaining my cans with iec plugs and sockets am I "protected" if I use just the one rcd to power the first can?

Yes. To a limit. I don't know what the limit is, but I'm guessing it's hundreds of metres, 'cos them electrons move mighty fast :p

Get Me A DJ
19-01-2011, 09:52 PM

why on earth are you using IEC males and females?
We use CeeFrom IP65 rated plugs and sockets on all of our gear.

Yes. To a limit. I don't know what the limit is, but I'm guessing it's hundreds of metres, 'cos them electrons move mighty fast :p

Ow dear :D

In reality, the cans should be broken up into smaller circuit runs.
We don't use those stupid little belkin "toys". we us a consumer unit which controls the rig and the lighting.
OK, it's overkill, but at the end of the day safety is my main concern.

Danno13
19-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't think it's anything to do with safety, just an IP65 cee-form won't give up if someone spills a drink on it. If an IEC shorts, then the RCD will trip quick enough to prevent any accidents. Though, of course this will cause an interuption whilst you reset the RCD.

I don't know off the top of my head, but if you look what the power consumption of each LED par is and divide by 230v to get the current drawn - basically you can go up to 13A per socket, but I imagine that would come to hundreds of units.

In my experience, starting from a new socket is usually only required for practicality and to save running more cables over doors than you need to.

Corabar Steve
19-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Ow dear
Did somebody pinch you then?

Excalibur
19-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Six and two threes. Ceeform is better proofed against fluid ingress, but unless you're actually outside, I'd say that IEC wins on points in this scenario.

Get Me A DJ
20-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Did somebody pinch you then?

I wish somebody would, after reading some of the stuff one here :Laugh:

Andy Goodtimes
21-01-2011, 10:13 AM
IP65 is plenty high enough for uplighters, that completely protects against fine particals such as dust and water fired from a medium powered spray. Any higher is really used for underwater like inside fountains.

Because your fixtures are often too far away for you to police properly and people generally are idiots when they have had a drink you should use IP65 rated fixtures. RCDs are fine and totally necessary but they are after the event, the thing is to make all resonable efferts to stop the event in the first place and then have the RCD as back-up just in case.

Uplighting needs to be done properly as if not it won't be long before venues stop it which will spoil it for all of us, its not just the liquid thing, its the chasing away of wires, keeping the wires in good condition and placing the fixtures safely so as not to be trip hazzards and so on. You don't just need the lights themselves and controller and wires, you also need plenty of gaffa tape, rubber treads, high vis tape and lots of common sense.