PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy music, and 50th Birthdays

soundtracker
17-01-2011, 08:29 AM
"Cheesy music, well that goes well with 50th's" Pulled this quote out of another thread rather than go off topic. I've had three client meetings over the last few weeks where this has been very far from the case. People that are 50 now, were teenagers in the 70s, and although the assumption is they love cheese (as above) is this actually right? Discuss!:)

DeckstarDeluxe
17-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Hence why client meetings are important and its information that is far better gained in a face to face meeting rather than an email.

The issue with "cheese" is also one clients cheese is another clients rock/motown/etc..... its a term I try to avoid.

Charlie Brown
17-01-2011, 08:55 AM
:agree: Pete.

Hence my comments on the other thread. ;)

Although the people appear to enjoy themselves - would they enjoy some different tunes? Some tunes that make you stand out from the stereotypical DJ? :shrug:

Corabar Steve
17-01-2011, 09:35 AM
"Cheesy music, well that goes well with 50th's" Pulled this quote out of another thread rather than go off topic. I've had three client meetings over the last few weeks where this has been very far from the case. People that are 50 now, were teenagers in the 70s, and although the assumption is they love cheese (as above) is this actually right? Discuss!:)
Come on Pete, of course they do, the charts in the 70s were filled with cheese & teenagers have always been the biggest purchasers of singles.

soundtracker
17-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Come on Pete, of course they do, the charts in the 70s were filled with cheese & teenagers have always been the biggest purchasers of singles.

I presume you've missed off a smiley here?

Corabar Steve
17-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Not really, no. Just pick up any 70s compilation for proof. The likes of Amarillo, Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep, I'm in the mood for dancing etc pepper them.

I'm not saying there was no good non cheesey music in the 70s, just that the charts were dominated by it.

soundtracker
17-01-2011, 10:15 AM
OK
First One I put my hand on - less than 20 per cent cheese, and certainly enough good tunes for a 50th birthday, without going too cheesy imho!
Disc: 1
1. I Will Survive - Gaynor, Gloria
2. Car Wash - Rose Royce
3. You See The Trouble With Me - White, Barry
4. Boogie Wonderland - Earth Wind & Fire
5. Ladies Night - Kool & The Gang
6. Get Up Offa That Thing - Brown, James (1)
7. Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
8. Kung Fu Fighting - Douglas, Carl
9. Love's Unkind - Summer, Donna (1)
10. Knock On Wood - Stewart, Amii
11. If I Can't Have You - Elliman, Yvonne
12. Can You Feel The Force - Real Thing
13. Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation
14. Funkytown - Lipps Inc.
15. Yes Sir I Can Boogie - Baccara
16. I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round) - Bridges, Alicia
17. Don't Leave Me This Way - Houston, Thelma
18. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - Temptations (1)
19. Now That We've Found Love - Third World (1)
20. Sunshine Day - Osibisa
Disc: 2
1. Blockbuster - Sweet (1)
2. Bye Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye) - Bay City Rollers
3. Crazy Horses - Osmonds
4. All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople
5. You Wear It Well - Stewart, Rod
6. Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealer's Wheel
7. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
8. All Right Now - Free (1)
9. Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (1)
10. Because The Night - Smith, Patti Group
11. This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us - Sparks (1)
12. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
13. Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - Jam (1)
14. Back Of My Hand - Jags
15. Hurry Up Harry - Sham 69
16. Do Anything You Wanna Do - Eddie & The Hot Rods
17. Jilted John - Jilted John
18. Black Betty - Ram Jam
19. 5 7 0 5 - City Boy
20. Rocky Mountain Way - Walsh, Joe
Disc: 3
1. Lady Marmalade - Labelle
2. Take That To The Bank - Shalamar
3. Hang On In There Baby - Bristol, Johnny
4. Family affair - Sly & The Family Stone
5. Never Can Say Goodbye - Gaynor, Gloria
6. ABC - Jackson Five
7. Shake Your Groove Thing - Peaches & Herb
8. Love Hangover - Ross, Diana
9. Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
10. War - Starr, Edwin
11. Love Machine - Miracles
12. Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players
13. Tears Of A Clown - Robinson, Smokey & The Miracles
14. You Make Me Feel Brand New - Stylistics
15. Smarty Pants - First Choice (1)
16. To Be Young Gifted And Black - Bob & Marcia
17. Love Of The Common People - Thomas, Nicky
18. You To Me Are Everything - Real Thing
19. Sugar Baby Love - Rubettes
20. Float On - Floaters
Disc: 4
1. Hold Me Close - Essex, David
2. She's A Lady - Jones, Tom
3. I Did What I Did For Maria - Christie, Tony
4. Forever And Ever - Roussos, Demis
5. All Kinds Of Everything - Dana (1)
6. Jolene - Parton, Dolly
7. Stand By Your Man - Wynette, Tammy
8. Sylvia's Mother - Dr. Hook
9. Seasons In The Sun - Jacks, Terry
10. Puppy Love - Osmond, Donny
11. Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Middle Of The Road
12. Montego Bay - Bloom, Bobby
13. You Can Get It If You Really Want - Dekker, Desmond & The Aces
14. Everything I Own - Boothe, Ken
15. I Wanna Stay With You - Gallagher & Lyle
16. Man Who Sold The World - Lulu
17. You're A Lady - Skellern, Peter
18. Streets Of London - McTell, Ralph
19. One And One Is One - Medicine Head
20. Don't Cry For Me Argentina - Covington, Julie
Disc: 5
1. Pop Muzik - M (1)
2. Video Killed The Radio Star - Buggles
3. Cool For Cats - Squeeze
4. Lucky Number - Lovich, Lena
5. Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - Steam (1)
6. In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
7. Down Down - Status Quo
8. I'm Not In Love - 10cc
9. Everybody's Talkin' - Nilsson, Harry (1)
10. Lovely Day - Withers, Bill
11. Easy - Commodores
12. When Will I See You Again - Three Degrees
13. We're All Alone - Coolidge, Rita
14. It's A Heartache - Tyler, Bonnie
15. Pearl's A Singer - Brooks, Elkie
16. Love And Affection - Armatrading, Joan
17. You Angel You - Dylan, Bob
18. Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs - Brian & Michael
19. Music - Miles, John (1)
20. Love Hurts - Capaldi, Jim

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Hence why client meetings are important and its information that is far better gained in a face to face meeting rather than an email.

Why is it 'far better gained in a face to face meeting'?

Why couldn't you discuss that on the phone or via email?

DeckstarDeluxe
17-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Why is it 'far better gained in a face to face meeting'?

Why couldn't you discuss that on the phone or via email?

Because I've had it several times people have said no cheese but when you speak to them they say well when we say cheese we mean no black lace etc....

You could discuss it on the phone/email and not have an issue its just how I prefer to discuss events with clients where possible.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Because I've had it several times people have said no cheese but when you speak to them they say well when we say cheese we mean no black lace etc....

You could discuss it on the phone/email and not have an issue its just how I prefer to discuss events with clients where possible.

So it's not actually 'far better' then! :p

Excalibur
17-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Of course. We lived through it being cutting edge. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll come back to this if I can manage to be serious for a while. ;)

Edit: Blimey.:eek: :eek: Steve's offering this theory as being serious!! Perhaps I was right after all. :confused: :confused: Many a true word is spoken in jest. ;) ;)

Kernow
17-01-2011, 05:57 PM

And there are those of us, in our 50's, who regard Black Lace as serious dance music .!!
So many times I've been requested to 'keep it modern and sophisticated..... no cheese !!", only to find that the real (and only) motivators are BL, Village People or DJ Otzi.

I don't play to empty floors !! :mad:

Excalibur
17-01-2011, 06:37 PM
And there are those of us, in our 50's, who regard Black Lace as serious dance music .!!
So many times I've been requested to 'keep it modern and sophisticated..... no cheese !!", only to find that the real (and only) motivators are BL, Village People or DJ Otzi.

I don't play to empty floors !! :mad:

Hmmmmmmm. To play serious music, of integrity and substance to tumbleweed, or Agadoo and Cha Cha Slide to a full dance floor? :confused: :confused: :confused: Tricky one that, I'll have to give it more thought. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BeerFunk
17-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I try to play the less obvious choices, without compromising the dance floor. There are a whole load of great tunes from down the years which everyone will know, but perhaps don't hear it as often at your average disco. Sometimes it's a case of a popular song, but a completely different version!

Couple of examples - 'Boystown Gang - Signed, Sealed, Delivered...' and 'Bay City Rollers - I Only Wanna Be With You'.

To me, these are 'cheesy' and friendly choices which most people know the words to, but as they are a bit less heard, it keeps up the interest a bit. They are also both very well produced, and would probably get you up to dance if it was the first time you'd heard them.

I honestly don't find I have to resort (yes, I will use that word!) to the likes of Black Lace and DJ Otzi all that often.

If I did have to play the same old tired songs time in, time out - even if it was filling the dance floor... well then I'd probably call it a day :(

Gladly, I have acquired a bit of musical diversity which has taken 11 years to build, and this enables me to keep the dance floor full without playing the same old songs :)