PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Company gone bust.....

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Right guys, i placed a advert in a well known local hotels wedding brochure...signed everything and as far as im aware it was all ok.

Ive recently found out that the printers has gone into administration, and as far as im aware they havent delivered the brochures to the hotel (even though they told me they had)...im double checking with the hotel tomorrow.

Now if they havnt supplied the brochures its a breach on their part...but can i do anything with them being in administration?

Cheers
Steve

Charlie Brown
17-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Do you have a copy of the terms/contract you signed?

How did you pay? Credit card?

If you paid on your debit card/cash/cheque etc - its doubtful.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Do you have a copy of the terms/contract you signed?

How did you pay? Credit card?

If you paid on your debit card/cash/cheque etc - its doubtful.

Yes everything contracted, initial payment via debit card, then direct debit for the balance.

Corabar Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Is the contract with the hotel or the advertising/print company?

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:36 PM
With the printing company.

The printing company has/had a shaky reputation anyway (they meet prospective advertisers at the hotel, inferring that they are infact the hotel, and will make you preferred supplier...etc...etc), but I went into it with my eyes open as I had done my research so knew I was only buying into the brochure, but its a very popular venue so was worth it IMO.

However, so far ive had a zero rate of return on even enquiries, so went to the hotels website (again its part of a chain) and found their interactive version of the brochure...needless to say, Im not the disco advertising in it. I dont know if its a old brochure or new one though so need to ring the hotel tomorrow morning and find out if:

a. They have/had the brochure with my advert in
b. Ever distributed it

STEVE HANLEY
17-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I worked in the electrical wholesale trade for a number of years and whenever an electrical contractor went into receivership. That was it if he owed you money you were screwed.

All wholesalers are advised to take out insurance against this now:( :(

Corabar Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:46 PM
You will be a creditor of the print company, but so far down the list, it's unlikely you'll get your money back.

Once you've spoken with the hotel to find out what you can, I would suggest that you contact the print company and find out who the administrators are and have a chat with them: It could be that another company will take it over and complete any outstanding contracts.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:48 PM
You will be a creditor of the print company, but so far down the list, it's unlikely you'll get your money back.

Once you've spoken with the hotel to find out what you can, I would suggest that you contact the print company and find out who the administrators are and have a chat with them: It could be that another company will take it over and complete any outstanding contracts.

Thanks Angela :)

Corabar Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:49 PM
You're welcome ;)

Vectis
17-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Was it a Visa co-branded Debit Card?

If so, google The Consumer Credit Act 1974 paragraph 75.

Many people wrongly believe this only applies to Credit cards...

:beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
17-01-2011, 09:56 PM
:thumbsup:

Good to know, Martin!

Just one thing to bear in mind though: if the contract has or is going to be completed by a.n.other, then Steve would be in breach if he cancelled further payments.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Was it a Visa co-branded Debit Card?

If so, google The Consumer Credit Act 1974 paragraph 75.

Many people wrongly believe this only applies to Credit cards...

:beer1:

Thanks Martin :beer1:

:thumbsup:

Good to know, Martin!

Just one thing to bear in mind though: if the contract has or is going to be completed by a.n.other, then Steve would be in breach if he cancelled further payments.

All payments have been made ;)

Corabar Entertainment
17-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks Martin :beer1:

All payments have been made ;)Ah... sorry - thought that you were still paying monthly instalments from what you said previously. Still, the sentiment still stands... don't try and get your money back until you know what's what, or it will be you in breach. :)

Vectis
17-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks Martin :beer1

No worries... just heed Angela's advice and keep us posted (although methinks this will be a 'Lazarus' thread when you do :mad: )

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Well it was direct debit, and wasnt cancelled by me and all payments stopped roundabout when they should, so i'm assuming im all paid up :)

Vectis
17-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Well it was direct debit, and wasnt cancelled by me and all payments stopped roundabout when they should, so i'm assuming im all paid up :)

Yep - that fits the criteria. So long as at least part of the total was paid with the card then you have a claim. Nothing lost in trying apart from half an hour and a stamp.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Yep - that fits the criteria. So long as at least part of the total was paid with the card then you have a claim. Nothing lost in trying apart from half an hour and a stamp.

Yep...defo gonna follow this up because i shelled out £812.50 all told by the time the direct debit stopped :)

Shaun
17-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Yep...defo gonna follow this up because i shelled out £812.50

Ouch!! I hope you get it sorted Steve.

Get Me A DJ
17-01-2011, 11:54 PM
I worked in the electrical wholesale trade for a number of years and whenever an electrical contractor went into receivership. That was it if he owed you money you were screwed.

All wholesalers are advised to take out insurance against this now:( :(

agreed to a point.

Find out who the administrator is and contact them straight away.
If the brochures where never printed, then the former printer owes you money due to them not delivering the goods as it where.
Tell the the administrator this and asked to be put on the creditors list.
Don't bank on getting all of your money back as there will be a list of creditors as long as your arm.
Shame you did not pay by CC as you would of had the payment insured.

Excalibur
18-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Ouch!! I hope you get it sorted Steve.

That wasn't the expletive I used when I read it. ;) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm having to think very seriously about a £30 upgrade on business cards, and £20 on a listing site joining fee. I must be living in a different world.:confused: :confused: :o :o :D :D

Vectis
18-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Shame you did not pay by CC as you would of had the payment insured.

Didn't read the rest of the thread, did we ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
18-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Update - Contacted the hotel, they confirrmed that they never had the brochure with my advert in it.

Contacted the administrators who are sending out a pack for me to fill in to become a creditor. Need to send them all paperwork including the contract, invoiced and bank statements for proof of payment. I also need a letter from the hotel confirming they never recieved the publication.

yourdj
18-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I almost got conned by one of these.

In started asking them all sorts of questions and they did not seem happy.
Probably the same group.

The brochure looked really good however.

Corabar Entertainment
18-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Update - Contacted the hotel, they confirrmed that they never had the brochure with my advert in it.

Contacted the administrators who are sending out a pack for me to fill in to become a creditor. Need to send them all paperwork including the contract, invoiced and bank statements for proof of payment. I also need a letter from the hotel confirming they never recieved the publication.Sorry to hear that, but at least you have a better idea of where you stand.

You're not sending the original documents, are you?

Little tip: for most legal reasons, if you need to provide documentary evidence but don't want to part with the originals, pop in to any local solicitor and ask them for 'certified copies'. They will photocopy the original documents, stamp and sign them that the copy is a true copy of the original. In many cases, (even by the courts) these copies are as acceptable as the original documents themselves, and it should only cost you a few quid. :)

Dynamic Entertainment
18-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the tip Angela.

Also, been on to the bank...they now issue Visa...but at the time, my card was a Maestro :(

I almost got conned by one of these.

In started asking them all sorts of questions and they did not seem happy.
Probably the same group.

The brochure looked really good however.

No conning (initially) though Toby. I done some research and went into it with my eyes open that this publishing company has a history of leading prospective advertisers into believing that they are dealling with the hotel. I got the usual "preferred status"..."we'll recommed you"...et...etc...and i shot them right down.

I also got a full page spread out of them at less than a quater of the cost they were asking over a 2 year publishing period...well would have anyway :(

yourdj
18-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the tip Angela.

Also, been on to the bank...they now issue Visa...but at the time, my card was a Maestro :(

No conning (initially) though Toby. I done some research and went into it with my eyes open that this publishing company has a history of leading prospective advertisers into believing that they are dealling with the hotel. I got the usual "preferred status"..."we'll recommed you"...et...etc...and i shot them right down.

I also got a full page spread out of them at less than a quater of the cost they were asking over a 2 year publishing period...well would have anyway :(

Cool looked like a good deal. I think this company was charging thousands for whole pages for one hotel. sounds like the same thing to me.

They did make it look as if the hotel had selected me and me only.

Dynamic Entertainment
18-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Cool looked like a good deal. I think this company was charging thousands for whole pages for one hotel. sounds like the same thing to me.

They did make it look as if the hotel had selected me and me only.

Lol...CMYK Group by any chance...im guessing i can name them as they are now defunct and their sales tactics wernt anything that cant be found on the interweb...

Get Me A DJ
19-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Didn't read the rest of the thread, did we ;)

OK clever sod :p