PDA

View Full Version : The DJ's worst nightmare!

soundlad
16-08-2006, 03:36 PM
What is your wors't nightmare when you are at a gig???

soundlad
16-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Mine would probably be forgetting the 1/8 jack to 1/4 jack converter for the head phones! :mad:

Paul James Promotions
16-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Stairs and no lift :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Unpleasant guests.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Actually, I've got a few...

Toilets miles away
Bar miles away
Nearest socket 50 feet away
Drunk people knocking into gear
People who don't realise that I can't make time last longer
Buildings that aren't air conditioned in the summer
Spaces that are too small to set up in
Clients who 'insist' they know what will get people dancing
Small spaces to reverse a trailor into

soundlad
16-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I suppose you have got to have a bar a arms lenglth ! You like you drink then Daz?

Have a disco
16-08-2006, 03:52 PM
vehicles always parked in the space allocated for us to unload Grrrr

soundlad
16-08-2006, 03:54 PM
well there is one good thing about being too young to drive. You don't have to reverse trailers i hate that!

Have a disco
16-08-2006, 03:56 PM
JUST YOU WAIT road rage will come

soundlad
16-08-2006, 03:58 PM
lol :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 04:01 PM
I suppose you have got to have a bar a arms lenglth ! You like you drink then Daz?

I love a beer or five, but not when I'm working. I've got nothing against it, and don't think there's anything wrong it.

I normally take bottles of water with me, and ask the venue permission to drink them, which they are fine with, but I do require ice from time to time, and if the bar is too far away I end up drinking warm water by the end of the night...

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 04:02 PM
lol :teeth:
its not a good thing...trust me

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 04:04 PM
but on topic:
- venue staff who either want to help pack up
or
- who start carrying your equipment out and leaving it outside so they can lock up (this happened to us before I was driving!)

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 04:07 PM
but on topic:
- venue staff who either want to help pack up

That's your worst nightmare?????????? :omg:

I actively encourage that..(in venues where I know people anyway) :teeth:

soundtracker
16-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Power cut! It happened to me once years ago- about 200 people moaning at me coz of the local power company fupping-up!- and what do you expect me to do exactly? It was off for about an hour- we started up and then an hour later we had to pack up as a fight had broken out in the bar downstairs, and the police insisted on clearing the building!! Money for old rope - probably about £40 at that time!!!

pagan_flame
16-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Decent Music.

I never seem to have any, judging by the number of people who come up and tell me to stop playing the stuff that is filling the dancefloor and Play Some Decent Music Instead... :sad:

sparc
16-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Getting a case of the runs when I did not have a roadie with me. Happened once, I started feeling very ill during the gig. Luckily, I had a friend who was able to come and take over for half an hour whilst I got myself back together.

I live in fear of this happening again!!!!:eek:

funkymike
16-08-2006, 04:36 PM
phone numbers from ladies and tops being lifted, oh terrible, well it is when the wife is doing her roadie bit.

Shaun
16-08-2006, 04:50 PM
My worst nightmare would be to realise I've left something vital at home.

I once forgot my headphones. I used the spare mic plugged into the headphone socket and put the mic head to my ear. Worked perfect!!. I ducked down out the view of the audience each time I needed to cue the song, I could imagine the funny looks from people if they saw the dj trying to 'talk out of his ear'. Luckily the "wife" got to the venue within an hour with the headphones.

Corabar Entertainment
16-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Actually, I've got a few...

Toilets miles away
Bar miles away
Nearest socket 50 feet away
Drunk people knocking into gear
People who don't realise that I can't make time last longer
Buildings that aren't air conditioned in the summer
Spaces that are too small to set up in
Clients who 'insist' they know what will get people dancing
Small spaces to reverse a trailor intoAren't you describing a standard gig?! :omg: :eek: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Aren't you describing a standard gig?! :omg: :eek: :teeth:

You're quite right - in hindsite they aren't really nightmares.

My one real nightmare was a gig that I did when I started, when the deck broke down and I didn't have a backup... (this was pre-CD and it was a lot more difficult to carry another whole console with you)

funkymike
16-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Being too drunk to work out the difference between the cue and play button

only joking :teeth:

Have a disco
16-08-2006, 05:42 PM
My worst nightmare would be to realise I've left something vital at home.

I once forgot my headphones. I used the spare mic plugged into the headphone socket and put the mic head to my ear. Worked perfect!!. I ducked down out the view of the audience each time I needed to cue the song, I could imagine the funny looks from people if they saw the dj trying to 'talk out of his ear'. Luckily the "wife" got to the venue within an hour with the headphones.

Worse than that forgetting the speaker wires. I did it one night after picking up wrong wires case never have I traveled 36 miles so blooming quickly

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 06:01 PM
That's your worst nightmare?????????? :omg:

I actively encourage that..(in venues where I know people anyway) :teeth:

Yes. We have an extremely high standard of how equipment should be stored when not in use and in transit, and also how it should be kept, including

- cables MUST be coiled and taped properly, not coiled around your arm, and put in the correct case/box
- lanterns must be placed the correct way round in flightcases
- par cans and generic lighting must have the yoke w/clamp at the back of the lantern, with the lense side used as the base with cable wrapped around the yoke

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Yes. We have an extremely high standard of how equipment should be stored when not in use and in transit, and also how it should be kept, including

- cables MUST be coiled and taped properly, not coiled around your arm, and put in the correct case/box
- lanterns must be placed the correct way round in flightcases
- par cans and generic lighting must have the yoke w/clamp at the back of the lantern, with the lense side used as the base with cable wrapped around the yoke

:)

Yeah, so do I, and probably most guys on here Will.

I was talking about carrying speakers in and out!

edwin
16-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Haha - thats the trouble, they like to conviniantly leave the big stuff like speakers and amps to us :)

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, so do I, and probably most guys on here Will.

I was talking about carrying speakers in and out!

I thought you said you encourage "packing" ?

Shaun
16-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Worse than that forgetting the speaker wires. I did it one night after picking up wrong wires case never have I traveled 36 miles so blooming quickly

Yup...forgetting speaker wires could be problematic :D

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Yup...forgetting speaker wires could be problematic :D Passive wireless speakers would be good...as would wireless electricity

BeerFunk
16-08-2006, 09:59 PM
How on earth does that work then? A microphone converts sound to electricity, and headphones (speakers) convert electricity to sound!? :confused: :omg:

Jiggles
16-08-2006, 10:01 PM
How on earth does that work then? A microphone converts sound to electricity, and headphones (speakers) convert electricity to sound!? :confused: :omg:

Ah but a microphone is buit exactly the same as headphones but more sensitive

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I thought you said you encourage "packing" ?

Packing up or away to me includes carrying stuff... :)

BeerFunk
16-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Ah but a microphone is buit exactly the same as headphones but more sensitive
So a mic works both ways?! Am I the only one that didn't know that? :embarasse

Corabar Steve
16-08-2006, 11:23 PM
It would appear so. :omg:

I've done it on a few occasions. Taking to a headphone dosen't work as well though :teeth:

Sapphire Disco
16-08-2006, 11:24 PM

YES.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-08-2006, 11:25 PM
It would appear so. :omg:

I've done it on a few occasions. Taking to a headhone dosen't work as well though :teeth:

But it does work...

At least it used to with the old telephone type headphone thingys

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 11:26 PM

Like wise with your headphones. I once ran out of mics when doing a bit of PA in a church, and mic'd a keyboard up with a set of headphones.

Well, I was about 10 at the time, and didn't understand why the noise was so badly distorted when I DIed the headphones socket on the keyboard!

BeerFunk
16-08-2006, 11:27 PM
...and on a crash research, it would appear that speakers can indeed be used as microphones aswell :omg:

You learn something new every day, as they say, and hallelujah for the internet ;)

DMX Will
16-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Looks like we both covered that one :)

Corabar Steve
16-08-2006, 11:45 PM
But it does work...

At least it used to with the old telephone type headphone thingys
Were you not just talking to the mouthpiece?? :teeth:

& I did say they don't work as well, as in as well as they could if they were a microphone

musicinmotiondi
17-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Reversing trailers a thing a past - remember too many times when we were blocked in because a party goer went home p****d up and left their car behind and me and 5 others trying to drag the trailer out

Other than that the same oas has been said really

Rattz
17-08-2006, 10:15 AM
did my worst one the other night, was working at Fiddlers (only 200yrds from my house) and had a load of stuff to carry up, got up there set the gear up, looked round for my laptop and realised i'd left it at home.

just a good job it was only up the street lol